Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Opens doors wide* Come on in and join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23, 8:39pm

Post #51 of 85 (299 views)
Shortcut
It makes one wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

why those birds are there in the first place, if there's nothing to feed on - uh oh, zombie turkeys? Laugh But they do get bold!

Mealtimes can be the worst at our house, hubby and son and I will get into "pun wars". Add one or both of our daughters into the mix, and it's even worse.

Sample: One day when we were driving along, the younger daughter suddenly began madly scrambling through her satchel. "What's wrong, Kat?" "I've got to find my notepad! The sign says 'Draw Bridge Ahead'!"

Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Jan 24, 4:46am

Post #52 of 85 (287 views)
Shortcut
so sorry that your team lost [In reply to] Can't Post

and they came SO CLOSE! It was a very exciting game to watch, but we all agreed it seemed unfair that it really came down to the coin toss in overtime.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Valinor

Jan 24, 7:35am

Post #53 of 85 (275 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Same team, thankfully, so I'm familiar with everyone I'll be leading. I'll have some more cross-department work with other folks too, but it'll be nice to not be completely relocating within the company.

And my sympathies to you and the Bills! I've been there more than I like to remember with sports teams. But it was a heck of a run, and hopefully they'll be just as hungry next season.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 1:48am

Post #54 of 85 (271 views)
Shortcut
You had me at ICE CREAM!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

*slaver slurp!* THANK YOU! :D

Did you say Chocolate? Since we're covered on the cold chocolate love, I'll admit that my fav warm chocolate comes in liquid a solid forms. Hot Chocolate drink is best if it's got extra bit of choco in it with marshmallows. Ahhhhhhh... But I truly love something I rarely have anymore (as well as the others here) because I'm CONSTANTLY on a diet.... but I truly love warm fudgy brownies with melted Toll House chips melted on top (not inside) and a light dusting of confectioner sugar along with a cold glass of fresh milk. Oh geez.... bliss!

Our winter here in Michigan hasn't been too bad. There's been a day of very high winds once a week since Christmas. But I've only had to shovel snow once so far... and that was because of the 3 ft high-wind drift in front of the mailbox. But it's mostly been really cold the past couple of weeks.

Otherwise... all is well and I'm counting down the days until Sping! The light-of-days are getting longer already!

Good luck on the tax prep and your remaining client :D They're SO LUCKY to have you on their team!!! Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira!

Have a great weekend everyone!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 1:55am

Post #55 of 85 (267 views)
Shortcut
OH! OH! *moan, groans buh-dum-dum!* Well Played! [In reply to] Can't Post

You son is righteous! :D I'm sure those turkeys gobbled the seed right down! We have a big batch of turkey's around here, too. They're huge!

Let us know how you Greenwood Hobbit cookies turn out! *wipes drool with sleeve* I saw both recipes and have had some wonderful dreams at night ever since ;)

I hope you have a wonderful week and that the storms keep passing you by!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 2:44am

Post #56 of 85 (263 views)
Shortcut
Turning the page of a new chapter! [In reply to] Can't Post

How Exciting!!! To think that this time next week you'll be pretty much moved in and tucking things away. How I hope the weather holds up for you this week so you're not fighting the elements. Your plan to move the most of it over the weekend then doing smaller moves during the weeks is a great plan. I moved 22 times in 20 years (until I bought my house in 1990), and it seemed like I was constantly carrying boxes and furniture! We usually did it all in one day. DUMB!!! but necessary. So you're ability to keep the chaos under control (more or less ;) is really great. Easier on your shoulder, too!

Hang in there! It's almost done :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25, 2:53am

Post #57 of 85 (262 views)
Shortcut
Those cookies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I sort of Americanized the recipe when I was making them the first time:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...b=post_time;so=DESC;

And they did end up being crispy:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...b=post_time;so=DESC;

Yep, I've made two batches now! I've found that I like to dip them in my coffee for a couple of seconds, they get chewy then, but my guys love them crispy just as they are! Very flavorful, too.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 2:53am

Post #58 of 85 (267 views)
Shortcut
Girl Scout Cookies!!??!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are SO GOOD! Cookies and quiet work in the study is actually something I really enjoy. I've got a project waiting for me right over there *points at kitchen table* where I've stacked 15 different editions of RotK (2 are 1-vol eds). *rubs hands together* The plan is to dive in and disappear for a full day of researching the Black Gate investigating a question my sister has. As usual, a simple checking has evolved into a full-blown attack!

Wow on the broken axle. Did it happen on the road? I hope you weren't stranded far from home. Finally having your RV back will make this trip all the sweeter.

Happy hunting on the perfect campground! Wifey and you need to hurry up and clear your work spaces so you can truly relax :D

CHEERS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 25, 2:57am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 3:06am

Post #59 of 85 (262 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like you've hit a quiet spot [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a whole lot going on, I hope, so you can "chill" without the ice ;) I hope the weather stays mild, though. The usual winter ice, snow and high winds knocking out power is very tedious!

Have a great week!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 3:19am

Post #60 of 85 (262 views)
Shortcut
Bang! Lookit you go :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fantastic vote of confidence... and intelligence... on your admin's move. It looks like things are really settling down for you after so many months of job and apt movement! It's wonderful news :D!!!!

I hope you have fun on your mystery tour! CHEERS!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 5:05am

Post #61 of 85 (264 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it didn't do damage to the apartment below you... if there is one. It's an extreme signal that you're on the right track about selling... but geez! I'm so sorry! It'll be so nice to simplify your lives and save/make some money. Maybe use it to add something you really want to your REAL home :) Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25, 5:12am

Post #62 of 85 (261 views)
Shortcut
Getting prepped for a project is the hardest part, imho [In reply to] Can't Post

Once you get everything together, it hopefully goes more smoothly. I hope yours does :D

We've got that horrible cold here, too! I can't WAIT for Spring! Only 2 months to go!!!! I hear the football games were AWESOME this weekend. Sadly, I missed it all :(

Hang in there, and have a great week with a smooth-sailing redo!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25, 12:38pm

Post #63 of 85 (244 views)
Shortcut
*bows deeply* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wifey has my full admiration. I will never forget how helpful and comforting all the folks at the non-profit (key word here!) hospice were, when my brother and I were dealing with all things Dad-related in his last weeks with us. Heart

Thank you for that road warning, that gives "road rage" a new meaning. Tongue May your next road trip be only good adventures!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25, 8:46pm

Post #64 of 85 (234 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ioreth. [In reply to] Can't Post

If we were tenants rather than owners it might be less complicated in terms of responsibility for getting the repairs done! Though a lot more complicated because we would have nowhere else to live in the meantime.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 25, 8:48pm

Post #65 of 85 (234 views)
Shortcut
Ours is on [In reply to] Can't Post

the ground floor, so that's a complication we don't have to deal with, thank goodness!

Thanks, Gramma. Just one of those things life decides to throw at us sometimes :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

cats16
Valinor

Jan 25, 10:43pm

Post #66 of 85 (229 views)
Shortcut
Aw, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Appreciate it, gramma. Smile Hope you're having a great week so far!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 27, 12:01am

Post #67 of 85 (206 views)
Shortcut
Cold cars, oh my! Some small animals crawled into [In reply to] Can't Post

my car heating system a month ago, and unbeknownst to me, died there. Had the car in for the noxious smell coming from the heater, thinking an engine fire was next, but nope. I felt like a murderer, but I didn't know they were in there! They cleaned it out and changed the filter, but it still smells so bad with the heat on, I've been driving around with no heat in the car in 1-degree F. weather (upstate NY, as you know!). But I have heated seats, so I'm probably in better shape driving around than you are, if your car stays that cold. Brrrrrr! I actually turn on the heat for both seats when I'm alone, with the slim hope it might warm the air a bit . . .
That's unbelievable about the baseboards! Bureaucracy will kill us all someday, if only from sheer frustration. Crazy
Shall I say "break a leg" for your team? Wink

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 27, 6:11am

Post #68 of 85 (179 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Contact your insurance. They may pay for a professional cleaning. Or they may simply declare the car a total loss and send you a check.

Good luck!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27, 1:15pm

Post #69 of 85 (155 views)
Shortcut
Good idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless they replace the whole system, that smell will take FOREVER to fade.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27, 1:19pm

Post #70 of 85 (155 views)
Shortcut
Of course you're not a murderer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow... Like you haven't got enough going on! I'm so sorry there's one more very nasty thing to add to it! That is the worst smell. I had a rodent die under the kitchen cupboard in one of the apartments I was renting. The landlord (college housing) refused to do anything with it, and I couldn't reach it. It took over 4 months before I noticed the odour was nearly gone.
Darkstone's idea is perfect! Good Luck... and stay warm!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 27, 4:18pm

Post #71 of 85 (153 views)
Shortcut
Aack! I was hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

if I just blasted the heat long enough it would get rid of it in a couple of weeks but I can't right now because I'd have to leave the windows open, but it's just too cold right now. I might even tough it out rather than risk having them total it since I never have to drive more than 20 min here and there most days, and with my down coat and heated seats I'm fine. This car was quite a find, and I'm unlikely to get something as nice for what they'd give me for it at this point. But I might run it by the insurance and see. I'm a bit gun-shy, though, because the same company totaled my son's car by sending out someone to look at it when he wasn't there, and made a determination without really looking carefully, when all it needed up needed was a new bumper.Mad

And thank you! Sounds like I shall need some . . .

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Jan 27, 4:19pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 27, 4:21pm

Post #72 of 85 (145 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

That helps a bit. I just have to not think about the poor little things . . .Frown

Annael
Immortal

Jan 27, 4:43pm

Post #73 of 85 (144 views)
Shortcut
that happened to me [In reply to] Can't Post

a mouse crawled in behind my dashboard and died while I was hiking for a week, and when we came back and I turned on the vent to help cool the hot car we got blasted with the most awful smell. Drove home with all the windows open!

Fortunately a friend volunteered to take apart the dash (this was a 65 Dodge Dart, a simpler car). He got it fairly stripped down and was peering into a hole with a flashlight and saw just the smallest little thing . . . he reached in with needlenose pliers and yes, it was the tip of the tail and luckily for all concerned, the mouse came out in one piece!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 27, 4:53pm

Post #74 of 85 (140 views)
Shortcut
I so wish these poor critters [In reply to] Can't Post

wouldn't do that! I assume it's the warmth and safety. Unfortunately my crew was in there decomposing and then cooking in the heat. Smells like roasted fur. They did get everything out, but the smell must have just permeated everything in the heating system.

Glad the extraction was able to be done so neatly in your case, especially after being there for a week!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 27, 5:49pm

Post #75 of 85 (143 views)
Shortcut
Eeeu... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that smell - a mouse once decided that under the hood of my old car would be a good place to make a nest. Tongue

No, no, you're not to blame for the poor decision on the part of the critters! I wish there were some kind of deodorant that could absorb that odor. Unsure

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.