Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Opens doors wide* Come on in and join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 12:37am

Post #26 of 85 (292 views)
Shortcut
This is exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting everything out of storage, and put in place at the new apartment, then moving the final pieces - a new beginning, a new phase of life, the feeling of moving into the future! Snuggles to Charlie, I bet it won't take long for him to fully claim his new home.

Thanks for the links! Gotta admit that I get a bit dizzy watching snowboarding from the first-person view, but that guy is a marvel! (And the Nina Simone music is perfect background for that second video.) Max owns the outdoors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 12:43am

Post #27 of 85 (303 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Still reading the light stuff, eh? Wink Glad that Wifey is staying safe!

And good that you're going to get more camping in. Now what did you do, to get that axle broken? Chased by a stampeding herd?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 12:58am

Post #28 of 85 (291 views)
Shortcut
Ice in the cream, [In reply to] Can't Post

and ice cubes in the glass, but not ice on the walkways and roads! Laugh I actually like those temps for taking long walks. Our laurel bush leaves curl up tightly in our current negative-digit temps (it's gotten as low as -15C here lately), do you have any plantings that react like that to cold?

Looked up Glenglass, had it playing while reading here, it's been a long time since I last heard that, thank you!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 1:05am

Post #29 of 85 (291 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hope you do have fun learning your new duties!

We have some escape room venues around here, what's nice is that they can be made for different group sizes and age levels (a friend has taken her teen daughter and friends for adventures). Let us know how this one goes!

I'd heard they were planning Knives Out 2. Do you know if it's going to be Netflix only?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 1:09am

Post #30 of 85 (295 views)
Shortcut
What a pain! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a good thing you did stop by to check on the place! One less hassle, indeed. Does it take you very long to get to the city from your house?

Chocolate is good for getting the mind going on book ideas, you know! Angelic

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 2:52am

Post #31 of 85 (287 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, cats! I hope so too :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 3:03am

Post #32 of 85 (288 views)
Shortcut
We perhaps could [In reply to] Can't Post

turn it into a rental, but I think that might feel like complicating life just when I'm trying to make it a bit simpler :) I'm getting to the stage of life where simpler feels better.

It's a continuation of a previous book series, but not of the one I've just finished. So it's returning to familiar characters, which feels very nice. I do know what's going to happen in broad outline, but finding out the details is part of the fun!

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 3:08am

Post #33 of 85 (289 views)
Shortcut
With no traffic [In reply to] Can't Post

(a rare situation) about 1.25-1.5 hours. More usually, 1.5-2. Perfectly doable for an occasional visit, but further than we'd like to travel on a more frequent basis.

Inspired by your remark, I made chocolate chip cookies :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 3:35am

Post #34 of 85 (289 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

And this evening I treated the family to chocolate cannolis from a local bakery!

What kind of chocolate chips did you use in the cookies?

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 22, 4:05am

Post #35 of 85 (289 views)
Shortcut
You too! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've been slowly wading through Arendt's On the Origins of Totalitarianism, though I'm still not to the better-known sections on Nazism - I'm somewhere in the early 20th century bureaucracy of imperialism.

Great book! Just as with Arendt, Shirer also starts off with the Dreyfus Affair as the beginnings of the Third Republic's flirtation with totalitarianism and eventual collapse.

Good to see you!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 22, 4:08am

Post #36 of 85 (290 views)
Shortcut
Nice to be here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually nice to be anywhere at this point! Wink

Good seeing you!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 22, 4:31am

Post #37 of 85 (282 views)
Shortcut
congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like, after a bit of a rocky work history, you've landed on your feet like a cat should.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 22, 4:51am

Post #38 of 85 (294 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Still reading the light stuff, eh? [;)

Some light reading until the next volume of Tearmoon Empire comes out in March. It's about a spoiled rotten Marie Antoinette-type princess who gets guillotined in the first three pages of the first book, then wakes up nine years in the past. She's now determined to end widespread imperial corruption and prevent future war, famine, and revolution. Of course the selfish princess' sole motivation is simply to avoid going to the guillotine again, but if it takes being nice to dirty disgusting peasants she's willing to endure anysacrifice.

Glad that Wifey is staying safe!

She's a billing clerk at a hospice. (Feared nemesis of insurance companies and Medicare.) It's a horror show there. People are dying just about as soon as they're brought in due to Covid. It's even worse since it's a non-profit.

And good that you're going to get more camping in. Now what did you do, to get that axle broken? Chased by a stampeding herd?

Bad Arkansas roads. Gad, just crossing the State line was like going from calm seas to a raging gale!

Take care!

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 22, 12:11pm

Post #39 of 85 (264 views)
Shortcut
Water in the wrong place [In reply to] Can't Post

is almost as bad as the lack of it.

At least it's not your primary home. I'm sitting in a hotel suite for several months while mine is restored from flooding. The actual repairs seem to be easier than all the coordination and paperwork.

Wishing you a peaceful, chocolate-fueled mind for your writing and your life.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

cats16
Valinor

Jan 22, 6:35pm

Post #40 of 85 (231 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's nice about the escape rooms being adjustable depending on the group. I'm sure your family would love them, considering how much you all play board games, etc.! The one we're doing this afternoon is Houdini-themed. Shocked

My guess re: Knives Out 2 is that it'll get a very small theatrical release at the very beginning. Probably Netflix only otherwise, though.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Jan 22, 6:38pm

Post #41 of 85 (230 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And congrats yourself on the start of the moving process! It's great you'll be able to do it over several days rather than all crammed into one stressful day (which is what always happens to me).

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 7:46pm

Post #42 of 85 (219 views)
Shortcut
Dark and bitter, and very tasty. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 7:52pm

Post #43 of 85 (218 views)
Shortcut
The perfect kind for sweet cookies. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 22, 7:53pm

Post #44 of 85 (222 views)
Shortcut
And at the moment, we have both! [In reply to] Can't Post

with a prolonged hot and dry spell. *Possibility* of a little rain this coming week.

Yes, indeed, it's a tiny hassle compared to being exiled from home as you currently are. We had a taste of that with the house fire, when we were in a motel (at first with our elderly cat), but only for a short time, not the months you're facing. The fire was a bit simpler, though, in that we only had to deal with our own insurer (they were excellent). And also more complicated, as we'd already sold the house, and had a rigid timetable for getting all the repairs done... but that's another story.

Thanks for the well-wishes! I hope you and your furry companions are coping with hotel life.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23, 1:16am

Post #45 of 85 (206 views)
Shortcut
We've been fortunate so far. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Southern states, not so, with unnatural snows and ice.

But here, it's lately been dry enough so that walking out in the -10C morning air to get the paper is pleasant, especially if the sky is cloudless with glittering stars. (The sun is just coming up as I drive to work - lovely!)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 23, 4:10pm

Post #46 of 85 (192 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the pun in strong in the youngster. Laugh

We had wild turkeys a lot at the cemetery where my grandparents are buried. They stand around like their visiting with the folks buried there. It's a bit uncanny sometimes!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 23, 4:21pm

Post #47 of 85 (196 views)
Shortcut
Water leaks between tenants [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are so hard to manage. So many entities involved. Our first apartment complex had defective pipe put in when it was built. Over time it started these little pinhole leaks but if not found fast enough, the leaks would finally rupture and then there was water! What a mess. I hope you're able to get it all straightened out! Working remotely with contractors can't be easy.

_

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 23, 4:37pm

Post #48 of 85 (203 views)
Shortcut
Hey folks, anymore ice cream? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is it all melted.

We're finally getting our bathrooms started. Getting materials has been difficult. Our local home improvement store is having management difficulties. They've "lost" some of their stock in the warehouse and can't order more in from corporate warehouses until they "find" it. It boggles my mind. How can you lose 12 foot long baseboard molding?

My Facebook feed is filling up with friends posting about my hometown football team. The Buffalo Bills have a fraught past with their post season. As an ex-pat, I still cheer for my hometown team even though I live deep in enemy territory of the Baltimore Ravens. I'll be studiously not watching the game tonight. If I watch it's bad luck. Fingers crossed by not double crossed that Buffalo advances to the Super Bowl. The city really does deserve a win - the fans are incredibly loyal. If they win, I'll make wings. After the game. Before is bad luck. Don't laugh. It's been proven!

On second thought, maybe I'll have some hot chocolate. The last two days commuting to work, my car thermometer barely got out of single digits (F or minus teens C). No snow though. Just cold and very dry. My hands are cracking again with all the washing at work.

So, a nice hot chocolate and maybe some writing. Definitely no football on TV. Nope. Not going there. Ok, maybe a peek.

_

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 23, 5:19pm

Post #49 of 85 (190 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will this be the same team you were working with or a new set of people? Moving into a management position is a big step. Wishing you luck and success!

_

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23, 8:28pm

Post #50 of 85 (188 views)
Shortcut
*offers severe dryness hand care cream* [In reply to] Can't Post

It's bad enough in more humid weather, but when it's so dry the skin really takes a beating!

No turning on the TV tonight! Or if you do, turn on PBS, they've got a couple hours of fun shows on Sunday nights right now. But NO sports shows. Absolutely not. I know how these things work. (Back in my youth, my brother would never let our mom go watch his hockey games, they always lost when she was there. Well, yes, they lost other times too, but still...)

Good luck with the bathroom remodel! I'm wondering if that store has some employees with sticky fingers, as they say.

I hope your car warms up quickly in the mornings!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.