Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
So it begins. First teaser is live and the official title of the series is "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jan 19, 3:12pm

Post #1 of 36 (1930 views)
Shortcut
So it begins. First teaser is live and the official title of the series is "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power" Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings on Prime just updated its Instagram feed with a teaser and a post that reads: "A new age begins September 2, 2022. Journey to Middle-earth with The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power."

The teaser shows the one ring being forged, with a female voice (Morfydd Clark?) reciting the ring verse.

Does this mean that the late Second age leaks that have been reported by The Fellowship of Fans have been smoke & mirrors from Amazon? Or perhaps that the timelines will be merged somehow?

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

(This post was edited by DeadRabbits on Jan 19, 3:24pm)

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jan 19, 3:31pm

Post #2 of 36 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Official statement from the showrunners: [In reply to] Can't Post

“This is a title that we imagine could live on the spine of a book next to J.R.R. Tolkien’s other classics,” said series showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay in a press release. “The Rings of Power unites all the major stories of Middle-earth’s Second Age: The forging of the rings, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the epic tale of Númenor, and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men.”

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Eldy
Gondor

Jan 19, 4:20pm

Post #3 of 36 (1824 views)
Shortcut
It might have been disinformation... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I think it's at least as likely that Amazon is simply trying to emphasize the connections between its new series and and LOTR proper. The Ring-verse is recognizable to the average potential viewer; Númenórean names and imagery are not. But who knows. Crazy

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19, 4:33pm

Post #4 of 36 (1804 views)
Shortcut
With such a subtitle... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I would have expected the show to place more emphasis on the middle of the Second Age than we seem to be getting. So far it looks like the forging of the Great Rings, the War of the Elves and Sauron, and the rise of the Nazgul are only going to be briefly covered.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Jan 19, 4:44pm

Post #5 of 36 (1792 views)
Shortcut
The opening musical chords [In reply to] Can't Post

sure sound like a riff on Howard Shore's "History of the Ring" theme.

Eldy
Gondor

Jan 19, 4:44pm

Post #6 of 36 (1790 views)
Shortcut
THR has a quote from the showrunners... [In reply to] Can't Post

...which seems to imply they are attempting the cover the entire Second Age.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/...w-amazon-1235077310/

“This is a title that we imagine could live on the spine of a book next to J.R.R. Tolkien’s other classics. The Rings of Power unites all the major stories of Middle-earth’s Second Age: the forging of the rings, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the epic tale of Númenor, and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men,” said showrunners J.D. Payne & Patrick McKay. “Until now, audiences have only seen on-screen the story of the One Ring — but before there was one, there were many… and we’re excited to share the epic story of them all.”

I'm ... not sure I believe this. Or at least, if they try to cover all this material, I worry it will involve a lot of compression and fusion of elements in order to fit it into a single TV show. Because, good God, it's a lot of story otherwise.

Chen G.
Gondor

Jan 19, 5:02pm

Post #7 of 36 (1771 views)
Shortcut
We've known about this shortly in advance thanks to this [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to Japanese Amazon:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/878600194520924215/933353662112202762/IMG_7815.png

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19, 5:14pm

Post #8 of 36 (1753 views)
Shortcut
The Teaser Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

"This video is currently unavailable."

Here's the video from Amazon Prime's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhqGCPMfkNM

I'm assuming that we're hearing Morfydd Clark as Galadriel.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 19, 5:18pm)

cats16
Valinor

Jan 19, 5:41pm

Post #9 of 36 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Well, well! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing. And thanks to greendragon for her post on the TORn homepage that included info on visual effects legend Douglas Trumbull's work on this teaser.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Jan 19, 5:44pm

Post #10 of 36 (1716 views)
Shortcut
"The epic tale of Númenor" line... [In reply to] Can't Post

...did make me chuckle. That could be its own 10+ season show if one wanted it to be! Laugh

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Jan 19, 6:05pm

Post #11 of 36 (1700 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seem that we're undoubtedly getting a start-to-finish telling of the Second Age, yes?

The simplest route, IMO, is to compress Númenor's history while simultaneously using the immortality of the Elves to your advantage as a storyteller - you can have a couple of Númenorean rulers cycle through (before arriving at Elendil and Isildur), if you want, while keeping Gil-galad, Galadriel and Celebrimbor in place without having to worry about characters aging in the normal sense. But I'd imagine these storylines to take place separately for the most part, as they do in the text itself, and being edited together similarly to how the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones juggled several loosely related storylines that took place hundreds of miles away from one another - and gradually came to coalesce as the seasons unfolded. GoT worked just fine on a storytelling level despite Daenerys not meeting most of the other characters until several seasons deep.

But now we've got some indication that they're looking to lay the bricks that lead us to the Last Alliance, ultimately. I wonder if the tension between Elves and Men will be heightened along the way (by increasing the enmity of the Elves, I'd say) after the rise of Númenor to make the Last Alliance feel less like a foregone conclusion.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19, 6:40pm

Post #12 of 36 (1670 views)
Shortcut
Well...maybe. Maybe not. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It would seem that we're undoubtedly getting a start-to-finish telling of the Second Age, yes?

So far it looks like most of the history of the Second Age might be summarized in Bayona's 2-part pilot. It seems as though the main action of the series will take place in the time of Miriel, Isilsdur and Pharazon. But maybe the creative team will play around with the timeline.

In Reply To
The simplest route, IMO, is to compress Númenor's history while simultaneously using the immortality of the Elves to your advantage as a storyteller - you can have a couple of Númenorean rulers cycle through (before arriving at Elendil and Isildur), if you want, while keeping Gil-galad, Galadriel and Celebrimbor in place without having to worry about characters aging in the normal sense. But I'd imagine these storylines to take place separately for the most part, as they do in the text itself, and being edited together similarly to how the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones juggled several loosely related storylines that took place hundreds of miles away from one another - and gradually came to coalesce as the seasons unfolded. GoT worked just fine on a storytelling level despite Daenerys not meeting most of the other characters until several seasons deep.

But now we've got some indication that they're looking to lay the bricks that lead us to the Last Alliance, ultimately. I wonder if the tension between Elves and Men will be heightened along the way (by increasing the enmity of the Elves, I'd say) after the rise of Númenor to make the Last Alliance feel less like a foregone conclusion.

I"m hoping that we will not see the type of time compression that would make Celebrimbor and the forging of the Great Rings contemporaneous with Elendil and Isildur. I don't need or want Ar-Pharazon to lead the Numenorean fleet that ends the War of the Elves and Sauron, though I fear that might be the direction in which the show is heading.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 19, 6:41pm)

cats16
Valinor

Jan 19, 6:46pm

Post #13 of 36 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess by start-to-finish I meant more "we'll start at the beginning of the SA and end at the end of the SA," but not necessarily a true start-to-finish all-encompassing version. But I agree it seems that the pilot is going to fit a lot in.

And re: time compression, I suppose a question is whether they intend the War of the Last Alliance to be the "end" of the show or not. I say that as I can imagine a build-up towards Ar Pharazon coming at the end of season 1, if they're looking to streamline things, and then the rest of the show leads us to the WotLA.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jan 19, 6:47pm)

Chen G.
Gondor

Jan 19, 7:06pm

Post #14 of 36 (1642 views)
Shortcut
The photography-nerd in me [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thanks for sharing. And thanks to greendragon for her post on the TORn homepage that included info on visual effects legend Douglas Trumbull's work on this teaser.

My inner photography-nerd nearly fell off of the seat when I read Trumbull was in it!

It makes sense: Trumbull is one of the few people who still works on macro-photography, and when I did the live-stream with Fellowship of Fans, I said the last time I saw macro-photography was Tree of Life, which Trumbull worked on.

I'm still euphoric about him having worked on it.

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Jan 19, 8:39pm

Post #15 of 36 (1584 views)
Shortcut
A fitting title, if they removed the first half [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Rings of Power" was my favored title, at least back before the leaks about Isildur, Míriel, etc. being main characters in Season 1, but I think "The Lord of the Rings" added before it makes it a bit clumsy. I don't see why it needs to be in there. It's easy enough to figure what the show is about from "The Rings of Power". For some reason HBO doesn't feel the need to call their prequel show "Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon".

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19, 9:31pm

Post #16 of 36 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Ar-Pharazon [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to clarify: I do know that Ar-Pharazon does eventually lead the fleet to Middle-earth that ends up taking Sauron captive, but that is many centuries after the War of the Elves and Sauron and has more to do with Ar-Pharazon's pride and arrogance than with aiding the Elves or Men of Middle-earth in any way. I don't want to see these separate events conflated.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 19, 9:33pm

Post #17 of 36 (1557 views)
Shortcut
Name Recognition [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"The Rings of Power" was my favored title, at least back before the leaks about Isildur, Míriel, etc. being main characters in Season 1, but I think "The Lord of the Rings" added before it makes it a bit clumsy. I don't see why it needs to be in there. It's easy enough to figure what the show is about from "The Rings of Power". For some reason HBO doesn't feel the need to call their prequel show "Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon".

Amazon needs to keep The Lord of the Rings as part of the title for branding purposes. The name recognition is a key factor in marketing the show.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

InTheChair
Rohan

Jan 19, 11:01pm

Post #18 of 36 (1520 views)
Shortcut
The story of them all? [In reply to] Can't Post

That quote seems to me to say rather that we'll be seeing the effects of the Three, the Seven and the Nine on their respective bearers. Which could tie in to many events from the second age.

It might also explain why there are Dwarves in the series beyond being friends of the Elves of Eregion.

I guess that some of the Nine rings may feature in Numenor, and the Three with the kings and queens of the Elves.

They might even throw in the effect of the One on Isildur, if the Last Alliance is the big bang they go out on.

Though my guess is in that case it will be some kind of compressed or out-of-time pieced together version of the Second Age events. They'd have no chance of covering the whole age, beginning to end.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Jan 19, 11:02pm)

Archestratie
Lorien

Jan 20, 12:49am

Post #19 of 36 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Bleh [In reply to] Can't Post

The name is fine. The voiceover is fine. There's not much to tell from this. I am glad we finally get a name for the series, but other than that this is a nothing burger.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Chen G.
Gondor

Jan 20, 10:17am

Post #20 of 36 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
other than that this is a nothing burger.

There are definitely things to be derived from this. The music, although clearly teaser music, hints at Howard Shore's Ring theme.

IGN seems to believe the silver lettering is significant: perhaps hinting at the creation of the Doors of Moria?

A longer version of this - tellingly, Morfydd's voiceover doesn't cover the whole ring-verse - could be used as the opening-credits sequence: IGN seems to give off that impression.

The show has a slot on Amazon Prime, which (1) reveals this is the title for ALL seasons, given the way its styled and (2) has an age rating: "16+"

The appended press release definitely points towards the show trying to encompass all the major events of the Second Age, as opposed to focusing on any one epoch.

That's not bad, in a day.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jan 20, 10:17am)

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Jan 20, 3:11pm

Post #21 of 36 (1250 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the rating for LOTR on Prime listed as TV-14 [In reply to] Can't Post

That might throw a little cold water on the fear that this show is going to be a nasty, profane Game of Thrones (TV-MA) knockoff.

If that rating holds we can expect a PG-13 experience rather than an R-rated experience. That implies less nudity and ultra-violence.

Chen G.
Gondor

Jan 20, 3:17pm

Post #22 of 36 (1249 views)
Shortcut
TV-14 allows to get away with alot [In reply to] Can't Post

It falls somewhere between PG-13 and R. Look at what Wheel of Time managed to get through on a similar rating: bits of nudity and sex, lots of violence, dunno about profanity.

That's not a bad thing: I want a hard-hitting show.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jan 20, 3:17pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jan 20, 5:43pm

Post #23 of 36 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Most importantly [In reply to] Can't Post

While I'm not particularly impressed with Morfydd's voiceover, the teaser video is very impressive looking. I think it is clear that this show will be visually impressive, and I am relieved to see clear indications that the focus will be on, as you say, all the major events of the Second Age rather than focusing on the end, as has been implied by some of the FoF reporting. They are not going to title the series "The Rings of Power" without a strong emphasis on the creation of the Rings and the resulting battles that ensue from that.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 20, 6:39pm

Post #24 of 36 (1184 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore Confirmed? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seem. Amazon replied to an Instagram post that HS composed the music for the teaser. According to Nerd of the Rings on YouTube.

(This post was edited by Lindele on Jan 20, 6:54pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Jan 20, 6:58pm

Post #25 of 36 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Link [In reply to] Can't Post

https://youtu.be/F4jKpV4Kyic?t=292

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.