Fiesta Friday starts now! Come join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2022, 4:25pm

Post #26 of 54 (910 views)
Shortcut
Orange you tired of them by now? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Yep, gotta keep up with the good C! Would you like some herbes de Provence to season those eggs?

I think people miss the independent pharmacies. We went to one for ages, then the owner sold out to a big supermarket chain, where we've gone since. It's okay, but it's not as "personal" as a pharmacy-only store.

It's not surprising that you're wiped out at the end of the day! How's the knee holding up?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 15 2022, 5:04pm

Post #27 of 54 (915 views)
Shortcut
grrrrrr photobucket - pic redo [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, it figures. Thanks for the heads-up. Let's see if these links to the individual pics work.

Who's that?

Here comes Doc Pol

The check-over for obstruction

Everything's fine.

Follow-up visit by film crew to see how Pickle's doing 5/21/21

He's doing great! Showing off….

He really liked the crew!

Happy ending :)

Dr. Pol

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2022, 7:27pm

Post #28 of 54 (897 views)
Shortcut
These work! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, lookit you two!

And the seventh pic looks like he's going in for a flying-tackle-hug! Laugh

Thanks, gramma! Heart

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 15 2022, 8:19pm

Post #29 of 54 (900 views)
Shortcut
I'm having cuteness conniptions! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a treat! I don't have Dish or Disney; so thanks so much for posting these! What a character, Mr. Pickle.SmileSmile

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2022, 9:00pm

Post #30 of 54 (892 views)
Shortcut
Going by [In reply to] Can't Post

the amount of berries we've been gathering since, he/she has been thoroughly scoffing, so I have not the least sympathy :) Plenty more for it to eat around here, anyway - just not as nice, perhaps.

We don't grow enough strawbs to preserve, so we just eat them fresh - no hardship! The blueberries get eaten by the handful, and Mr Kimi makes blueberry muffins. We also end up freezing quite a lot of them, and they give us much pleasure in winter. I *could* make jam, but the crabapples and any excess of guavas, etc, are enough for the fairly modest amount of jam we go through.

I devoted last week to formatting and releasing the paperback edition, but I actually took a reasonably thorough break from writing over the Christmas/New Year period, so I feel fairly rested and ready to go :) Yes, I do know the overall structure of the storyline - the beginning and end, and some scenes in fine detail, anyway - but some elements of the plot will only make themselves clear as I write my way into them. And many of the characters are ones I (and the readers) are already familiar with, but I'm very much looking forward to getting to know the new ones - the ones I know about, and also the unforeseen ones who will probably choose to make an appearance. All part of the fun!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jan 15 2022, 10:14pm

Post #31 of 54 (886 views)
Shortcut
They come out thin and crispy - delicious! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jan 15 2022, 10:24pm

Post #32 of 54 (888 views)
Shortcut
How exciting to be on tv - though not the reason, obviously! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great pics - Pickle seems none the worse for his adventure. We have a couple of vet programmes on over here; Noel Fitzpatrick the 'super vet' is very popular. He's pioneered various prosthetics for animals and does really fiddly, life and limb-saving operations (I have to look away for the squicky bits). If you need a chihuahua hip replacement, he's your man.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 16 2022, 4:06am

Post #33 of 54 (877 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't on!!!!!! ???? [In reply to] Can't Post

OK.... so I don't know what gives; but I watched the "Toe the Swine" show and Pickle wasn't on. Some of the other critters were there on the show I got the pics from, but not us. SO... All I can think is the show I saw what a collection of previews of the upcoming season which is how it was listed at one time.

I guess the hunt is on!

WHAT A BUMMER!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 16 2022, 5:14am

Post #34 of 54 (871 views)
Shortcut
Pickle's smaller than I imagined [In reply to] Can't Post

and packed full of spirit

Thanks for taking the time to posr the photos

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jan 17 2022, 3:16am

Post #35 of 54 (820 views)
Shortcut
*groans* [In reply to] Can't Post

No not tired yet. Laugh Gotta love a guy who shows his love is that way though, right? I use Fox Point seasoning on my eggs. It's a blend from Penzey's and I love it! It'a bit like Herbes de Provence but it also has dried shallots. I put it on everything from eggs to potatoes to chicken.

Most independents close after a few years of losing revenue. Insurance companies that handle prescription coverage (called PBMs) barely cover the price of the drug to the pharmacy let alone salaries and keeping the lights on. And now, some of the biggest PBMs are owned by chain pharmacies, a clear conflict of interest. They get away with it though. The only buyers when independents go out of business are the big chains. It's sad though. I worked for a chain for 25 years. They only care about patients as a means to make a profit. Individual pharmacists care about their patients, but only as much as they are allowed by the bean counters. I've known some really good chain pharmacists burn out trying to care for their patients while keeping corporate happy. It's sad they are constrained by the greed of their employers. /soapbox

Knee is OK. I'm back to working 9 to 10 hour days by necessity. But I can walk downstairs now at almost my old pace. Now to make it strong again.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 4:15pm

Post #36 of 54 (697 views)
Shortcut
uh-oh [In reply to] Can't Post

*wipes mouth with sleeve* I'm in trouble...

rum-a-tum-tum ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 20 2022, 4:27pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 4:23pm

Post #37 of 54 (697 views)
Shortcut
Did you fare the storm ok? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm late getting here, but I know that storm did some real damage as it raged to the NE. Ice and wind are so nasty with the damage they do. You doing ok?

I like how you face oncoming danger. COOKIES!!! :D *high five* You are a mighty warrior!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 4:25pm

Post #38 of 54 (696 views)
Shortcut
I thought you said RUM [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how they'd be with a bit of rum? *eyes Kahlua*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 5:08pm

Post #39 of 54 (695 views)
Shortcut
*checks watch* Almost moving day!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's hoping it's the last one for a very long time. Won't it be wonderful to empty boxes and take your time placing all those special little things all around? I'm so excited for you on this very special move. Absolutely a turning of the page for this new chapter of you! :D

I'm glad the pt is going so well. Everything is coming together. By Spring, you'll be well healed, well nested, and well on your way out the door to enjoy the lovely weather :D

May your move be easy, quick, and FINISHED! *geeky hand clapping*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 20 2022, 5:30pm

Post #40 of 54 (694 views)
Shortcut
Mostly rain here! [In reply to] Can't Post

We did have a bit of icing up for a while. The worst damage in town was trees down from the high winds, and some inundation at the shoreline. We have old homes right along some of the beaches, they've been renovated and raised up on stilts so storm surge can pass under them, but it can still get deep. Seven gals who had rented out one for the weekend ended up being evacuated - by the town's maintenance crew with a bucket loader!

Annael
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 9:06pm

Post #41 of 54 (691 views)
Shortcut
thanks gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am looking forward to all of that!

One little hitch - I have developed very slight symptoms. Weird feeling in throat - not sore, just weird and intermittent - and now some post-nasal drip. Is it a cold? Is it COVID? Fortunately I was able to score a PCR test appointment today. And two of my helpers have had & recovered from mild COVID recently (yes, fully vaxxed, so their symptoms weren't bad), so they can still help and, if necessary, be the people dealing with anyone else on Saturday.

In a way I hope it is COVID. I'm not at all ill, and it would "boost" me well into summer.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 10:31pm

Post #42 of 54 (684 views)
Shortcut
Cookie brutality! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds good to me :D That would be a hoot to haul them out partway cooked and slam them on the counter! I fix my keyboard the same way.

RECIPE! Gotta have the how-to!
That weather slams you form all directions! It's got to be harrowing if they clash very often. My weather mostly comes from the west. So whatever Chicago sees usually ends up at my house about 12 hrs later. When we do get weather from the south, it's much warmer but usually carries rain and high winds. From the north is bitter cold in the winter and much appreciated in the summer as it travels down through Canada and across Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.

STAY WARM!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 10:36pm

Post #43 of 54 (682 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking the storms and water level will continue to grow. Even up on stilts, it would seem heavy weather would show how limited that is. I'm glad you're okay :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 10:40pm

Post #44 of 54 (683 views)
Shortcut
It would figure ;} [In reply to] Can't Post

You might only be able to point and holler directions from a distance. But you all are savvy about what's going on. I hope your symptoms... whether it's covid or not... stay mild on nonexistent!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 10:51pm

Post #45 of 54 (683 views)
Shortcut
A reminder for vitamin C? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he likes to play catch... or use you for target practice ;) Chuck it back at him and see what he does!

I'm really glad the word is getting out about your pharmacy; but they need to hire a few more people to share the load *visions of Sam closeup*. It's hard to get back up to 100% when you can't get rest.

My Baltimore family has come down with covid. It's been about 10 days since Hubby brought it home, then g'son got it, then daughter. She has the symptoms, but her home test came back negative. She's thinking the home test is wrong, so her boss and she are treating it as if she has it.

I really hope you feel back to normal very very soon!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2022, 11:04pm

Post #46 of 54 (685 views)
Shortcut
"Well if that isn't a plague and a nuisance!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry... it was just reminded me of Pippin's great to a frustrating situation. It's too bad they can't just seal up the rest of the house by nailing in a temp wall. See... you really don't want to put me in charge of fixing anything ;) I wish I could help with your packing and moving. I've gotten pretty good at it through the years. It's the scaling down on things I fail at!

I'm glad the kitties are settled in. That's going to help you so much! As a distraction if nothing else ;) Hang in there!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21 2022, 12:05am

Post #47 of 54 (680 views)
Shortcut
Rain in moderation is good [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially if you collect water for your garden. I'm glad Mr figured out how to thwart the magpie's raiding your strawberries. I'll have to keep an eye on mine when the weather finally turns. I have a few months to go before worriting about that ;)

WELL DONE on getting your boosters! My Baltimore daughter and her hubby & son have all caught covid (maybe). He was pretty down for a full week and only got the booster 2 days before getting sick. Daughter & g'son got theirs a month ago... so they have very mild symptoms. They've had 2 tests... one says positive, one says negative for both of them. If he hadn't been sick, they would have never thought they had it.

CONGRATS on getting your book into paperback status! *high five* Wow... that must feel surreal. But I'm very glad you already have another project ready to go. *smile spread* You better bake your muse some extra-special scones!

Have a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21 2022, 12:07am

Post #48 of 54 (679 views)
Shortcut
Buh-dum-dum :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jan 21 2022, 2:30pm

Post #49 of 54 (653 views)
Shortcut
Recipe coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cornish fairlings - I hope the recipe survives translation to US measures:
4oz flour (plain, not self-raising)
pinch of salt
quarter teaspoon ground ginger, mixed spice, cinnamon (one teaspoon is 5ml)
One and a half teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
2oz butter
2oz castor (fine light granulated) sugar
two and a half level tablespoons golden syrup (one tablespoon is 15ml)

Sift the flour, salt, spices and bicarb into a bowl and rub the butter in thoroughly to make a fine crumb. Mix in the sugar. Warm the syrup to soften it otherwise you'll never achieve a level tablespoon (I put the opened tin in hot water), then stir into the mix to make a soft dough. Roll the mixture between the hands to make balls up to 2cm diameter and place on a greased baking tray allowing room for them to spread. Bake at 180C/350 F/gas mark 4 in centre of oven for 10 minutes.

Now for the fun bit! Take the tray out of the oven and hit it on a solid surface to make the fairlings crack and spread. Put them back into the over for another 5 minutes to finish off. Keep an eye on them so they don't overcook. Leave them to solidify for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 21 2022, 2:56pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2022, 3:02pm

Post #50 of 54 (646 views)
Shortcut
Crispies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, this looks like scone cookies, they will be fun to make! We used to not be able to find the castor or golden syrups easily in the stores here, nowadays they always have them in stock.

(I fixed the formatting, don't know why posts sometimes loose their line spacings, and added in the oven temp in F.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.