Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A cute story about NZ's LOTR-themed tourism, featuring Richard Taylor

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2022, 3:53am

Post #1 of 12 (1833 views)
Shortcut
A cute story about NZ's LOTR-themed tourism, featuring Richard Taylor Can't Post

Richard Taylor recalls the first time people started showing up at the outfit's HQ in Miramar, Wellington.

"From the moment the movies came out, we started getting buses of people pulling up in front of our workshop, and I would wave at them through the window," says Taylor. "If I had a moment, I'd pop down and get on the bus, give them a talk, or just chat with them and tell them about what we were up to and who we were and so on. But it became painfully evident that we actually needed to pull a finger out and do something rewarding for the people that dropped in."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/...-new-zealand-forever

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 16 2022, 5:57am

Post #2 of 12 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Why not enter the Halfling Marathon? [In reply to] Can't Post

You can do the whole thing, or just the Eleventy-first. Laugh
Just a random tag-on...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 16 2022, 3:13pm

Post #3 of 12 (1772 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* What a great article :D [In reply to] Can't Post

There's such a wholesome, beautiful simplicity to how Taylor and others express how different NZ and these filmmakers feel about their world and their work. The passion hasn't faded... and this article has stirred (again) my own love and passion for what they've given us.

[Richard Taylor] "I'm a huge and passionate fan of Hobbiton and I love going there myself. To me, it's everything that Disney would have wished Disneyland could be if they didn't have to deal with massive numbers of people. There is an earthly sort of beauty and wholesomeness to it that you just can't do when you're driving millions of people through a place and it feels so authentic and so real, literally as if you've been dropped into another world. It is probably one of the most magical places that you could hope to visit on the planet."

Thank Goodness they didn't try to Disneyland Hobbiton or any other part of what they (Weta, NZ, Jackson, etc.) share. I'm homesick for that feeling of wonder and home that I've only found in NZ/Wellington/Hobbition and in my own dwelling here :)

Thank you for this, Ataahua. :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 16 2022, 3:15pm

Post #4 of 12 (1767 views)
Shortcut
This is Awesome!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2022, 9:50pm

Post #5 of 12 (1736 views)
Shortcut
I bet the organisers were laughing when they came up with that idea. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Genius! If I were more mobile I might even be tempted to join in.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 16 2022, 10:15pm

Post #6 of 12 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

A highlight of our 2011 Cruise to Middle-earth was lunch at Weta Workshop, hosted by Richard Taylor himself. What an intelligent, good-humored, polite person!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2022, 11:04pm

Post #7 of 12 (1730 views)
Shortcut
That must have been a pinch-yourself moment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A highlight of our 2011 Cruise to Middle-earth was lunch at Weta Workshop, hosted by Richard Taylor himself.

I met him in a group setting when we had an unofficial tour, thanks one of the Wellingmoot attendees having a family link to Weta Workshop. Having Richard pop in while we were in the boardroom was a surprise (she didn't tell us beforehand because his availability wasn't certain) and my mind went completely blank when we had the chance to ask him questions. Dammit! Laugh

My LOTR fan-fiction

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 17 2022, 1:58am

Post #8 of 12 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

it does look rather fun!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 17 2022, 3:50pm

Post #9 of 12 (1658 views)
Shortcut
No kidding! [In reply to] Can't Post

We were served a hobbit-style spread in the board room with RT at the head of the table. The first thing he did was ask each of us our names and where we were from, then he answered questions.

I have a photo but I no longer know how to post photos here, unfortunately.

At one point I thought some large piece of equipment on the floor below had started up, but Tehanu, our native guide, said matter-of-factly, "That was an earthquake." Seems appropriate, somehow. Smile

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2022, 7:30pm

Post #10 of 12 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Hah - so you got the full NZ show. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
At one point I thought some large piece of equipment on the floor below had started up, but Tehanu, our native guide, said matter-of-factly, "That was an earthquake."

Laugh

Did you know that Wellingtonians play 'wind or earthquake'? That's how strong the wind can scream through the city.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2022, 4:13pm

Post #11 of 12 (927 views)
Shortcut
Ah. New Zealand. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is still on my list to visit.

I really want to visit the South Island and see the mountains.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 3 2022, 11:55pm

Post #12 of 12 (590 views)
Shortcut
Move it up! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Make it #1 or 2! You'll never be sorry. *sigh*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.