Fiesta Friday starts now! Come join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Fri, 5:12pm

Post #1 of 35 (248 views)
Shortcut
Fiesta Friday starts now! Come join us! Can't Post

Another week gone by means it's time for another Fiesta Friday celebration!

After our snow last week, Colorado was back to its normal winter weather this week with sunny days and cool high temps around 45-50 f (7-10C), but a little snow is still lingering in shady spots of the lawn. Nice weather for walks, a little yard tidying, and running errands.

Do let us know how things are going in your little part of the world. The Fiesta bar has all your favorites available, and the buffet is piled high with fresh fruit, salads, and sandwich makings, and I believe I see mini cream pies at the dessert station!

*kicks juke box* "American Pie" by Don McLean starts to play

Enjoy the weekend, everyone!! CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Fri, 5:36pm

Post #2 of 35 (207 views)
Shortcut
Hmm...*finds chocolate cream pie* [In reply to] Can't Post

Sweet! Laugh And could I have a mug of hot mocha java to go with it, please, Altaira?

We've got a storm on the way, roaring through the southern states before it hits us - stay safe down there, folks, it's supposed to be either heavy snow, or very icy! Here along the coast we're to get a bit of snow Monday before it turns to rain, but plenty of snow inland - which makes all the skiers happy!

Got any special plans for the holiday weekend, Altaira? I intend to sleep in, then read and make some applesauce and cookies (haven't made my Orodruin Lava Lumps in ages!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Fri, 5:45pm

Post #3 of 35 (205 views)
Shortcut
*sets a nice, hot mocha on the bar* [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually had to look up what holiday it is, lol. For the most part, three-day weekends stopped registering with me after I started working for myself. Plus, not all my clients took all the federal holidays off.

However, if you have Monday off, I hope it's as relaxing as your plans make it sound. Lava Lumps!? What, pray tell, are those?

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Fri, 5:53pm

Post #4 of 35 (206 views)
Shortcut
Sour cream chocolate chocolate-chip cookies. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a great-aunt's sour-cream cookie recipe, with cocoa added in, and chocolate chips. The dough is very gooey! Drop them by tablespoonsful onto the cookie sheet, and as they bake they puff up, then the surface hardens and cracks apart a bit - like some kinds of lava do as it cools.

And they're decadently delicious! Cool

Annael
Immortal

Fri, 5:57pm

Post #5 of 35 (206 views)
Shortcut
ooh, num! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds a bit like chocolate crinkles in how they bake. Recipe?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Fri, 6:01pm

Post #6 of 35 (208 views)
Shortcut
Planning on relaxing . . . mostly [In reply to] Can't Post

Some packing, but as most of my stuff is already packed/in storage that won't be onerous. NEXT weekend is moving day, so this weekend I'll work on the jigsaw puzzle we've got going and otherwise relax.

And perhaps make dernwyn's Lava Lumps if she'll part with the recipe!

*Grabs mocha to go - off to physical therapy. I have a new PT and I like her very much - she spends a lot of time massaging all those muscles that have been guarding my shoulder for decades now. Hurts so good!

-- Gaston Bachelard

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Fri, 6:16pm

Post #7 of 35 (200 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

How nice to be able to relax a little so close to moving. I hope you'll have plenty of help next weekend as I imagine the amount of weight you can sagely lift isn't much. Yes, those lava lumps do sound yummy, don't they? Enjoy the PT and the rest of the weekend! Heart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Fri, 6:18pm

Post #8 of 35 (200 views)
Shortcut
Decandently delicious? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like my kind of cookie! Well, my kind of anything, really. Enjoy!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Fri, 7:44pm

Post #9 of 35 (196 views)
Shortcut
Evening - I'm loving the sound of those cookies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a recipe for some spicy ginger cookies called Cornish fairings, which I bake partly for the novelty. It's the only recipe I know of where you have to take them out of the oven partway through cooking, hit the baking tray on a hard surface so they all go ->phut<- then put them back to finish off. Such fun! It makes them very crispy.
I saw a good explanation of our British weather on a tv programme the other night; most places have one or two predominant weather systems to deal with, but we can be hassled by any one of four - polar (straight from the North Pole), Arctic (Siberia etc), Atlantic from the West) and tropical (from the South). No wonder we Brits talk about the weather a lot! At the moment we are having fine days after frosty misty mornings due to high pressure, but some places are plagued by fog, which makes driving anywhere a white-knuckle ride.

Crowded House's 'Weather with you' seems an appropriate juke box choice; the words are a bit odd, but I like the sound of it! Have a good weekend, folks - cheers!

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Fri, 8:25pm

Post #10 of 35 (195 views)
Shortcut
The scions of Tevildo [In reply to] Can't Post

are settling into the hotel suite, having chewed all the paper and discovered the catnip mice. I couldn't find a cat-sized crate, and so I bought a portable one for a large dog.

There's no oven, so you bakers are making my mouth water to no purpose Unsure

I had to take a break from packing up the house, so naturally there's a freeze warning for tonight. The only advantage of the flooding is being forced to declutter, e.g., I could pack only eight mix-and-match outfits, one coat ... Although the new flet is quite nice, there's no way to fit the contents of a 2000 sq ft house and a full garage into it.

Happy MLK Day to the US TORnsibs and happy days to everyone else.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Fri, 8:46pm

Post #11 of 35 (190 views)
Shortcut
Oh, those cookies [In reply to] Can't Post

sound very nice! Now that the Christmas baking is just a memory, they'd fill a gap :) Hoping you'll post the recipe.

Enjoy your sleep-in and baking. I hope the storm doesn't hit you too hard!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Fri, 8:48pm

Post #12 of 35 (191 views)
Shortcut
I see from last week's thread [In reply to] Can't Post

(which I missed at the time - too much going on last weekend) that you've secured a wonderful apartment! I'm so happy for you.

Enjoy your pre-moving weekend!

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Fri, 9:01pm

Post #13 of 35 (190 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the chance for a sit-down! [In reply to] Can't Post

We were up and about early this morning, getting the outdoor tasks done before the day gets too warm. It's possible the tail-end of cyclone Cody will strike us tomorrow - it's forecast to hit my old home area of the Bay of Plenty, but may well skim past us up here. I could do without the gale force winds, but the predicted rain would be quite good, as we're getting a bit parched - the record-high temperatures and ongoing sunny days have dried things out. Nice for lazing around, but not so good for the garden!

We got our booster shots this week. I was a bit sleepy next day, and we both had slightly tender arms for a day, but no real ill-effects. Five- to eleven-year-olds become eligible this coming week, so we didn't want to be getting in their way once that starts.

Still scoffing blueberries from our garden. We'd noticed our strawberry bed, which had been doing well, had fizzled out, and realised that was because a magpie had figured out how to get at the berries through the netting. Mr Kimi reconfigured the netting, and we now have a disappointed magpie and lots of delicious strawberries - red all the way through, and so tasty.

This week's main project has been organising a paperback edition of my new book - finished and released on Friday. So that's all settled for now, and come Monday morning I'll be dusting off my notes for the next book in my "Daisy" series and making a start. Looking forward to it - while it's been nice taking a break, it doesn't take me long to start missing my characters.

I've been making an effort to free up some space in the freezer in preparation for the Autumn harvest. I made guava jelly last weekend (these are the small, quite tart cherry guavas, not the sweet tropical ones), and today I have quinces bubbling away for paste. We finished the mince tarts this week, so the Christmas baking is now just a memory. Mr Kimi has made scones for morning tea, to be spread with our homemade lemon curd. Speaking of lemons, I have a batch of limoncello on the go.

And speaking of scones: time for morning tea!

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 12:05am

Post #14 of 35 (181 views)
Shortcut
"Hurts so good!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That's when you know the massage is getting in there deep and doing those muscles good!

I know you'll make sure to not over-do when packing. Charlie must be very confused! "We're leaving? After I've trained these dogs so well?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 12:11am

Post #15 of 35 (182 views)
Shortcut
Like popping a souffle! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's funny, popping the cookies mid-way through the baking! They must go nicely with tea.

Your weather gets pushed from the four directions: cold, wind, wet, and warm. No wonder you have a lot of fog!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 12:20am

Post #16 of 35 (185 views)
Shortcut
They're that crazed, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

The catnip mice should wear them out. Tongue I'm just happy they're with you. Did being carted in the same crate keep them calm for the journey?

No oven! Do you have a microwave and toaster oven? We got by with those during our kitchen renovation, but still, there were many recipes that were not do-able.

Freeze warning? *checks out weather for brother in Austin* Wow, you are getting into the low 30's down there!

Would they let you leave the contents of the garage "as is" for now?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 12:29am

Post #17 of 35 (181 views)
Shortcut
That must be one very frustrated magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Not being able to gorge himself on those delectable treats anymore! Laugh Will you do any preserving with those strawberries, or the blueberries?

Congrats on getting boostered! I can imagine the kids (and parents) being anxious to get their shots as soon as possible.

Wait, you just finished getting those editions out, now you're starting right in on the next book? Have you decided on the storyline yet, or have some ideas to play with?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 12:38am

Post #18 of 35 (180 views)
Shortcut
The recipe: Orodruin Lava Lumps [In reply to] Can't Post

Ingredients:
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sour cream
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 c. chocolate chips (semi-sweet or other dark chocolate)

Directions:
Cream the butter and sugar. Blend in the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Then gently mix in the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. The dough will become thick and gooey. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand. Be careful to not snap the spatula (I did this, once.)

Drop by tablespoonsful onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, or until set. Let cool slightly before removing from sheet.

Makes about 4 dozen decadent chocolate cookies.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 1:08am

Post #19 of 35 (175 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Dernwyn! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

Sat, 5:02am

Post #20 of 35 (162 views)
Shortcut
thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be making these as a thank-you for my moving crew

-- Gaston Bachelard

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sat, 5:06am

Post #21 of 35 (174 views)
Shortcut
That's absolutely balmy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

We got up from the 0 to 20 degree neighbourhood to 35 on Wednesday. Sunny and soft... which was really great :D But it's right back to the 12 degree mark today. *sigh* Got a way to go before we see the 50s around here. *grabs a hot chocolate*

Ok... remember when Pickle and I did that "Incredible Dr. Pol" TV show last February & May on National Geographic Wild? Well... they decided to use us and finally aired it yesterday (Thurs 1/13)! I didn't know that it was on until a friend's Father in Denver asked him (my sister's beau) if that was my name they were using? Apparently my friend told his Dad about the taping knowing his Dad's a fan of the show. He remembered Pickle's name ;)

I found it over night at about 2:30am. So if you're interested, it's supposed to be shown again this Saturday (15th) at 9pm then again at midnight. Then it's on again on Thursday the 20th also at 9pm and midnight. The title of it is "Toe the Swine" (a play on "toe the line") S18 - Ep50 (Season 18 - Episode 50). This is all listed on my DISH satellite service. The couple of people I've told about it don't have DISH and had trouble finding it... so it might be a while before it surfaces.

Pickle and I show up about 10 minutes into the 60-minute show then again about 15 mins before the end of the show. We're only on for about 2 mins in that first part with us in the parking lot then going inside the vet office with Dr. Pol as he checks Pickle for something stuck in his throat. Then in our second part (also a minute or two), they visit us for a follow-up at my home as Pickle runs his legs off! So if you blink, you'll miss the whole thing! ;) Oh, and Pickle's neck is dirty because he was running free while we were filming, and he found something nasty to roll in. Figures!!!

I grabbed some screencaps of the show. So here's a slideshow in case you can get at it. Poor Pickle can't figure out how I'm talking behind the TV when I'm sitting in the chair with him!

Pickle's visit with Dr. Pol

Thanks for taking care of us Altaira :D Have a great weekend everyone!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sat, 5:24am

Post #22 of 35 (164 views)
Shortcut
I'm trying not to replace things [In reply to] Can't Post

but did get a teakettle and some inexpensive pots.. The packers packed the toaster oven and all the kitchen contents.but have promised to seal the pantry,
I keep saying to put something in the garage but now it's full.

Your weather forecast looks even more frightening, In upper Michigan some people use electric dipsticks for their conventional engines. Do you have shovels or a snowblower?
Come see your brother, and I'll show you around the Alamo City.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sat, 2:41pm

Post #23 of 35 (147 views)
Shortcut
Mornin'! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll just have some coffee while I figure out what I want for breakfast.

I came home from work on Friday and fell asleep. Still not back to full power yet and we're still down a few staff so it's been a bit of a push to get everything done the way we like. We're gaining prescription volume too, due to a lot of people transferring to our pharmacy from some of the chains. They came in for a vaccine and liked what they saw in our little independent community pharmacy. I'm really proud of the team. They've been amazing! But man, does it wipe me out.

Ok, I've decided. Scrambled eggs and sourdough toast. And an orange. Hubby is still chucking them at me at random moments like he did from the doorway while I was in isolation. It's his way to remind to make sure I get my vitamin C. Laugh

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Sat, 2:42pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 3:55pm

Post #24 of 35 (138 views)
Shortcut
We never realize what all we have [In reply to] Can't Post

until we need to move it! Are they going to have to replace some of the cabinetry in the kitchen?

It's in the single digits here, but Monday it's now supposed to warm up to around 40 - no snow for us! We do have a snowblower, and keep a shovel by the front door. Our neighbor has a riding snowblower, he loves to ride it around with one of his kids on his lap. Northerners and their toys! Laugh

It's been over 30 years since I last travelled to my brother's (he would make trips here to visit our parents in Massachusetts), so a trip to your area is long overdue! I shall take you up on your offer when I do. Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sat, 4:16pm

Post #25 of 35 (138 views)
Shortcut
Your five minutes of fame! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you know that Disney+ streams past episodes of his show? So if anyone misses it now, just wait a while, and you can see it again (and again) there! Pickle is famous! Laugh

I think the photobucket link doesn't work if you don't have an account on it, I keep getting re-directed to their login page. Unsure I'll try to catch the episode tonight.

Those temps make for brisk walks, gramma! Shocked

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.