Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Still crying after all these years ... decades ... thing ...

Ioreth
Rivendell

Jan 3 2022, 2:53pm

Post #1 of 7 (1647 views)
Shortcut
Still crying after all these years ... decades ... thing ... Can't Post

So on our Medieval Week (Visby, Sweden, week 32) discord server discussion turned to Tolkien (it is his birthday today) and then to music and the movies.
And I began to dig around youtube. Ambivalent feeling. Tears of joy but also tears of sadness.

And STILL am crying after all these years (films) decades (films) and decades (books).

No, I do not like all 100% of either films. But they still affect my heart as no other films have done, especially the music.

And some scenes ARE more powerful than the books - I am no movie person in general.
But the scenes like Arwen at Aragorn's grave with the veil and the trees and the music.
THAT are so powerful scenes.

So that I can take the other ones too - at least I know where to cover my head and ears and eyes (easily scared) - and when to take a bathroom break with the films running :)

SO many beautiful things turned up today in that search ...

But where oh where oh where have the years passed?

I still remember back in the spring of 1999 when first learning about the movies.
I still remember even further back in 1981 when I snatched The Two Towers from my parents' bookshelves. Read it straight through and RAN (well, as fast as a 10-year-old can run) to the local library in our litte rural town in mid-western Sweden because I HAD TO get the Return of the King. NOW.
I still remember when I got the beautiful 13-cassette edition of the BBC production after spending my first ever earned money in the last years of the 1980s on it - the parcel from BBC World Service Shop ...

I still remember all the fun discussions on this and all the other LOTR-messageboards ...
I still can crawl back into my memories of the first ever screening of the first film and hearing Galadriel's voice in the dark ...
I still can sit there happily sadly crying over the end credits of LOTR.

SO many memories.
SO much joy and sadness ...

But WHERE have all the years passed?

Thanks, Professor Tolkien and all the people having brought his world to live in all different mediums over the decades.
THANK YOU.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 3 2022, 5:35pm

Post #2 of 7 (1603 views)
Shortcut
*raises mug* The Professor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who reminded us, that "not all tears are an evil". Yes, there were many scenes in the books that were beautifully translated onto film! May your love of Tolkien never grow thin. Smile

Happy Birthday to the Professor!

"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."

Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2022, 8:07pm

Post #3 of 7 (1597 views)
Shortcut
It is a while [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel that I have been not necessarily on these forums, but on various Tolkien forums, for a while!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 8 2022, 2:41am

Post #4 of 7 (1519 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same way! [In reply to] Can't Post

Reading about your feelings and reactions to the LotR films STILL, after all these years, are exactly the same as mine. Still!!
They're a part of us. The books are the same, too. They put me into another place or space I know so well. Both are like being with cherished loved ones. I miss so much when I'm done watching or reading them. I'm actually quite melancholy for days after finishing. Don't get me started on the credits. Especially for RotK while listening to "Lay down your sweet and weary head…" Even now I'm tearing.

The Fellowship of the Rings is my favourite film. I love that first time I saw it and discovered the Shire, the characters, Middle-earth and the music. I was so overwhelmed after that first viewing that I could hardly move. It was like I was in shock. I made it out to the car and sat there and cried uncontrollably. Again, I'm tearing now as I feel like I'm there right now.

I started reading the books in 1971 when I was 19 years old… and I'm still reading that same set of tattered, mismatched old books every year. I'll be 70yo soon, and I still discover things I either missed before or that speak to me through the decades to where I am in my progressing age and experiences.

I'll forever be grateful to J.R.R Tolkien for giving me this world and all of these emotions… and for giving me TORn :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Jan 8 2022, 8:34am

Post #5 of 7 (1497 views)
Shortcut
Cheers, gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

You are the heart of this community.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 9 2022, 3:25pm

Post #6 of 7 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Hi Wolfy!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

*hugs* So great to see you!!!!!!!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Jan 9 2022, 6:52pm

Post #7 of 7 (1451 views)
Shortcut
*HUG* [In reply to] Can't Post

Right back at ya, my friend. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.