Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's beginning to look a lot like Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 24 2021, 5:18pm

Post #1 of 116 (1264 views)
Shortcut
It's beginning to look a lot like Fiesta! Can't Post

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 24 2021, 5:21pm)

Carcharoth
Rivendell

Dec 24 2021, 5:47pm

Post #2 of 116 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Just tea (again), thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to repeat myself, it seems (sorry, I don't drink anymore).
But at least I didn't just bang my head on the door jam.
I *did* just cut my thumb (holiday cooking tradition Laugh), however, while cubing-up a turnip.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Oh... Jasmine, if you have it, please. Smile

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 24 2021, 5:49pm

Post #3 of 116 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Christmas is cancelled this year... [In reply to] Can't Post

... due to a COVID scare/crisis?

My sister-in-law received a call yesterday afternoon saying that my cousin's daughter tested positive for COVID. She had been with us on Sunday for my nephew's birthday dinner and she started feeling unwell by the middle of the week. She was tested and it came back positive. She wasn't sure if she contracted it before or after the birthday dinner. My sister-in-law has a sore throat and I've had a tickle for a week now. She did two rapid tests yesterday: the first test positive, the second negative. She and her family went to the clinic and had the test done there and is waiting for the results. I haven't done it because I don't live with them and I don't have any of the usual symptoms, besides the irritated throat. So it's a wait-and-see game now. Either way, the gathering, which was supposed to include my cousin's daughter and their family, is cancelled and any other gathering. So it looks as though I may be spending the next week all alone at home with no one to visit and no Christmas dinner/lunch/anything (I didn't shop for anything because I was supposed to spend this time with my brother and his family, and I'm also supposed to move). I guess it's pizza for me for the following week. :(

I'm bummed because I'm a bit of germaphobe and am super careful when it comes to keeping myself safe, and just letting my guard down for one moment to celebrate my nephew has landed us in this situation. All that diligence for nothing, maybe? This COVID business is messing up a lot of families' plans for the holidays, with all the restrictions and lockdowns that have been imposed with OMICRON. Bless them, they need all the good vibes they can get.

Despite all this, I do wish all of you happy holidays and hope the good things in the New Year outweigh the bad.

Bartender, you got anything for a sore throat, queasy stomach and the blues?

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 6:49pm

Post #4 of 116 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Oh man, that sucks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your relatives come through OK - and that you've missed being infected! I imagine there'll be a heap of people in your exact situation these days.

Is there something in the New Year that you can plan, and look forward to?

It's Christmas morning here and it's dawned overcast and windy, but we're meant to get up to 26 degrees (79F) this afternoon - our hottest summer day so far. But it'll be a quiet Christmas with just my brother and SIL, nothing like the large family gatherings we used to do (when the kids of several siblings were little). Times change.

Barkeep, I'll have a Bailey's with a sprig of mistletoe, if you please. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 24 2021, 7:14pm

Post #5 of 116 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Jasmine tea, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ouch! Be careful there. Hopefully that's the only holiday tradition of yours that involves bodily injury, lol.

Hope the feast turns out well and that you have a wonderful Christmas weekend! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2021, 7:25pm

Post #6 of 116 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Happy Holidays Everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's definitely FIESTA FRIDAY!!!!

]

I know it's turned out to be quite a challenge again this year and there's a lot of apprehension of what's to come; but here we are celebrating together as we've done for many, many winters :D

I still find my heart lifting when I watch Christmas movies, listen to festive music, see how excited the kids are as they visit our local Santa's workshop. This year has turned out to be so iconic and like I remember Christmas to be when I was a kid. We've had a light, fluffy snow on Christmas Eve eve that still covers the ground with very mild temps. In the park there's a long line to see Santa (in a shed large enough for individual visits), lots of sledding and snowball fights... all filled laughter. So this is the gift I appreciate this year... a beautiful re-visit of how I remember these magical days.

Stay safe and enjoy the day, m'dears! Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira. :D Give B.G. a hug for me!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2021, 7:27pm

Post #7 of 116 (1160 views)
Shortcut
It's so great to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And OW on the turnip cut! I do the same thing whenever I cook. That and set off the smoke alarm ;)
I hope you have a wonderful Holiday!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 24 2021, 7:31pm

Post #8 of 116 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear of the wrench thrown into all your plans. Unsure However, it *is* awfully nice to see you here even if you don't have the best of news to report. Hang in there, keep yourself healthy, and treat yourself to a big dose of your favorite holiday movies. That will help keep those blues away. SmileHeart

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 24 2021, 7:35pm

Post #9 of 116 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Awwww! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pickle is so cute in that picture. The expression on his face seems to be saying: "do I get a Christmas treat now, Mom?"

What wonderful thoughts you've shared with us, gramma. Have a wonderful white Christmas Eve and Christmas day. We're sending hugs your way too! Heart

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 24 2021, 7:36pm

Post #10 of 116 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Just dropping by to wish everyone a happy holiday season [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been posting these greetings for many years now and hope they still work. May the Valar bless us with:

Bilbo's charm
Thorin's majesty
Thranduil's elegance
Frodo's steadfastness
Sam's loyalty
Pippin's resilience
Merry's good nature
Aragorn's patience
Gandalf's intelligence
Legolas's grace
Gimli's sturdiness
Boromir's redemption
Eowyn's courage
Eomer's vitality
Theoden's second chance
Faramir's honor
Galadriel's wisdom
Arwen's compassion

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2021, 7:40pm

Post #11 of 116 (1147 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry :( Lots of that going around, fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry to hear about your family's overlapping covid problems. It's like dominoes... once one falls, it knocks out all the others. But hopefully it sounds like there's only mild cold-ish symptoms and no one has been hospitalized. But it being so last-minute, it's definitely a bummer.

I was supposed to meet up with my daughter tonight (Christmas Eve) as her sons dine with their Dad and step-family; but she came down with that nasal/throat irritation. I asked her to get tested, but she couldn't get in (I just found out today); so I'll be telling her we need to wait... which we knew might be the case.

Actually, pizza sounds pretty good to me!!!! :) I'll be plugging into the Christmas movies on tv... especially TCM's old movies. I just watched one of my favourite Bette Davis (and Christmas) movies... Pocketful of Miracles. It's just so fun with a great cast and greater comedic timing.

Hang in there, my friend :) I'll bet you all can get together soon or in the Spring when a moot at the park will be a fun alternative.

*warm hug*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 24 2021, 7:47pm

Post #12 of 116 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Oh bum [In reply to] Can't Post

That's no good.I am on my own for Christmas too, but I had more warning than you, so I have nice food sorted.I'm sorry the family plans went up in smoke. I have my sister coming to stay in a week or so, and I haven't seen her since the same time in 2020, because of stupid Covid.So I'm thinking of you, and sending some virtual Christmas dinner from NZ. I hope you feel better soon and can be reunited with your family. X

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2021, 7:51pm

Post #13 of 116 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! Back atcha! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I love your list!
Makes me think of
Treebeard's groundednessSmeagol's hopeBombadil's wholesomeness

Have a wonderful Christmas!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:09pm

Post #14 of 116 (1145 views)
Shortcut
Blessings of the season to everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

no matter how you do (or don't) celebrate.

It's a glorious sunny Christmas morning here. I suspect our sheep were up late waiting for Santa, as we had to get them out of bed (a cozy nest in the grass) to move them to a fresh paddock - usually they're up and eager for the move. Today's meals are prepped and ready, and just need to be cooked, so it should be a nice, lazy day, much of it spent outside, maybe including a walk in our little forest. For quite a while after I broke my wrist I wasn't confident enough over rough ground, but I definitely feel up to it now.

Wishing everyone peace and goodwill, now and always.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:09pm

Post #15 of 116 (1139 views)
Shortcut
And happy holidays to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That poor thumb...Laugh Is that stew you're making?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:13pm

Post #16 of 116 (1139 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, Carchy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy holidays to you.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:15pm

Post #17 of 116 (1139 views)
Shortcut
So sorry, diedye. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope everyone recovers well, and that you can get together in the new year.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:16pm

Post #18 of 116 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Oh no. [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wrench to throw in the plans. Sore throat and tickle are usually sinus issues - the typical winter cold, so I hope the clinic test is negative. But that still messes up the whole week for you. Unsure Are you moving close by?

*lotsa hugs* Here's to you having a far better New Year!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:17pm

Post #19 of 116 (1139 views)
Shortcut
And to you, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love your pictures, especially the Christmas Pickle! And your word pictures are quite magical - thank you for those.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:21pm

Post #20 of 116 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Aw, lookit Pickle! [In reply to] Can't Post

He must love to frolic in the fluffy snow! Hmm...did you make all those cookies yourself, gramma? Wink

I'm so glad this Christmas is bringing you joyful memories of holidays long ago! There is something magical about this time - the lights, the snow, the sounds - the hope of a better new year.

*hugs* to you and your family and furry friends!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:28pm

Post #21 of 116 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the wishes of the season, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

So perfect for this time when we prepare to welcome in a new year. To re-use a familiar phrase: May the Valar bless us, every one!

Happy Holidays to you and your family, Lily!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 24 2021, 8:29pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 24 2021, 8:33pm

Post #22 of 116 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Merry Christmas, Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

and all those blessing to you and yours, too! HeartSmile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:34pm

Post #23 of 116 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Do the sheep [In reply to] Can't Post

get a special treat from Santa? Smile

Enjoy the outdoors, especially if you're able to take that walk - that's a pleasant way to spend Christmas day!

Thank you for the wishes, and may your new year be blessed!

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 24 2021, 8:35pm

Post #24 of 116 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Same to you, Kimi! [In reply to] Can't Post

What will grace your table today? Enjoy the yummy smells as the cooking starts, and the yummy tastes as the eating starts! Laugh

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2021, 8:39pm

Post #25 of 116 (1136 views)
Shortcut
And to you, Lily. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the wonderful blessings.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.