Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
News story - Elijah Wood on The Lord of the Rings at 20 and being Frodo to fans forever

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2021, 1:22am

Post #1 of 9 (1817 views)
Shortcut
News story - Elijah Wood on The Lord of the Rings at 20 and being Frodo to fans forever Can't Post

The story is behind a paywall but here are some snippets:

* He was given a pair of his Frodo feet as a parting gift from a set, and keeps them in a box.

* One of his strongest memories is needing to leave a set because it had started to snow, so he had to go to a hotel and sit on a washer/dryer while his hobbit feet were taken off.

* The friendships with castmates will always last. "Twenty years on we are still connected in that way, even if we haven't seen each other in a long time."

* He wasn't prepared for ending 16 months of intense work on principal photography by abruptly being at home again. "I just wanted to continue to work on things that were really small and very different from The Lord of the Rings. I felt quite sad to see it all come to an end, but also ready to move on with my life and have new experiences."

* When asked if the LOTR movies could be made the same way again today: "There was a great sense of a lack of oversight. Peter and the larger team were allowed to make the movies the way that they wanted to make them without much outside perspective. ... We had quaint problems, like there would be some photographers up on a hill, but it was pretty minor. [Laughs.] I don't know if that would be possible now. Now the world is online and there's a great deal of access afforded to pretty much anybody about anything."

* On always being associated with Frodo: "I accepted a long time ago that I would forever be linked to Frodo, so it doesn't bother me. ... It's representative of one of the greatest experiences of my life, movies that I adore and memories that I'll cherish forever. ...Now that we're standing on the precipice of 20 years, which is so difficult to comprehend, my reflection is one of such gratitude and such love that I'll never be upset at being associated with those films or for them being the largest in people's memories of who I am."

The full article is here: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/...2OBDF5WVYN7OGBOM2OY/

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2021, 8:36am

Post #2 of 9 (1774 views)
Shortcut
From Rotten Tomatoes: 5 ways LOTR changed blockbusters forever [In reply to] Can't Post

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/...theRings_Anniversary

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2021, 1:21pm

Post #3 of 9 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful!! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had quaint problems, like there would be some photographers up on a hill, but it was pretty minor. [Laughs.]

I laughed when I read this part of EJW's comments. "That's Tehanu!!!" :D I love how he still feels and thinks so fondly of making those films. The friendships... including with Jackson... will always be there :)

And the Rotten Tomatoes article is incredible! They truly honour the achievements and soul of these films. The trailer... I hadn't watched it in years... over a decade... and it was overwhelming. I'm still in tears... flooded with so many emotions that threw me right back into those heady days when it was all so new... intense... magical. Thank you for making that possible by sharing these, Ataahua *warm hug*

How lucky are we to have been there since the beginning? What a life!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2021, 7:14pm

Post #4 of 9 (1760 views)
Shortcut
this article appears to be also on the New York Times, plus another [In reply to] Can't Post

may be behind a paywall

https://www.nytimes.com/...emc=edit_fm_20211217

and this may be of special interest to femine TORnsibs

https://www.nytimes.com/...=Homepage§ion=Movies

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 20 2021, 8:50pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2021, 8:59pm

Post #5 of 9 (1747 views)
Shortcut
That 'femine' article [In reply to] Can't Post

has some interesting views on just how the LOTR storytelling goes beyond the usual action fare.

It made me think of how in a series of films or books, the original (LOTR) is usually the best while the sequels (fantasy novels and films that followed) are a mixed bunch re quality and depth.

Thanks for posting it!

My LOTR fan-fiction

squire
Half-elven

Dec 20 2021, 9:48pm

Post #6 of 9 (1746 views)
Shortcut
It was very femine, all right [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed it as it reminded me of my daughters who fit the descriptions to a T, in age and in enthusiasm for the LotR films. I took them out of school so we could go to Trilogy Tuesday. Remember that?

But the piece was so personal and so limited in viewpoint that I realized half way through that it was not really a critical essay or reported story on our little cultural phenomenon. It's just a lovely reminiscence. As she notes at the end, she only talked to four other women, to be sure it wasn't just her!

So in an article about how the trilogy grabbed a young female audience there is no mention of Orlando Bloom, if you can imagine that.

And no real notion, either, of fan sites like TORn where the female presence has been notable from the beginning, and where forum conversations similar to the article's thesis - Who knew the LotR films had female fans? It's just for boy nerds, right? - took place on an almost regular basis in the early years, mocking the sterotyped assumptions of critics and other clueless dudes.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Jan 5 2022, 11:39pm

Post #7 of 9 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

He will be Frodo to me forever.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

Ioreth
Rivendell

Jan 9 2022, 12:56pm

Post #8 of 9 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Visually yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But I grew up on Ian Holm's Frodo in the BBC adapation so it will be a mishup between them I guess :)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 9 2022, 7:09pm

Post #9 of 9 (1201 views)
Shortcut
Femine, ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

May TORn always be so.

My daughters are precisely the demographic described in the second article, and the ideas hold true with them. They (in fact we all) appreciate the nobleness of many of the characters--especially Aragorn, but also Eowyn, Arwen and Sam and Frodo.

Thanks for the links Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.