Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 15 2021, 3:21pm

Post #27 of 44 (2041 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth (Current Age)

December 15, 1972 (Common Era)
1. Stuart Townsend born in Howth, Dublin, Ireland.

Happy birthday to Stuart Townsend, Peter Jackson's original Aragorn son of Arathorn before he was replaced by Viggo Mortensen. Stuart turns forty-nine today.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 16 2021, 1:13pm

Post #28 of 44 (2029 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 16, 2941 (S.R. 1342)
1. Travelling around Mirkwood.
(determined from text-no text)

...Gandalf, Bilbo and Beorn continue travelling around the border of Mirkwood after leaving the Lonely Mountain. They chose to skirt the Forest along the northern edge of the waste and not to journey through Mirkwood as Bilbo and the Dwarves attempted before. Bilbo wondered why Beorn planned to travel north instead of following the old forest path encouraged by the Elvenking? Though he was glad to be with both Beorn and Gandalf on this journey.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 16 2021, 2:59pm

Post #29 of 44 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Re: TIME - December 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

December 16, 1967 (Common Era)
1. Miranda Otto born in Brisbane, Australia.

Happy birthday to Miranda "Éowyn" Otto who is fifty-four years old today.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 17 2021, 7:15am

Post #30 of 44 (2023 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 13, 2013
1. The Desolation of Smaug.

...The U.S. release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 17 2021, 7:20am

Post #31 of 44 (2018 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 14, 2012
1. An Unexpected Journey.

... The U.S. release and premier of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 17 2021, 7:35am

Post #32 of 44 (2018 views)
Shortcut
**TIME - December 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 17, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Scouts return from searching the lands.
(not from the appendices)

..."The hobbits had been nearly two months in the House of Elrond, and November had gone by with the last shreds of autumn, and December was passing, when the scouts began to return....
...In no region had the messengers discovered any signs or tidings of the Riders or other servants of the Enemy. Even from the Eagles of the Misty Mountains they had learned no fresh news. Nothing had been seen or heard of Gollum... ...Three of the black horses had been found at once drowned in the flooded Ford. On the rocks of the rapids below it searchers discovered the bodies of five more, and also a long black cloak, slashed and tattered. Of the Black Riders no other trace was to be seen, and nowhere was their presence to be felt. It seemed that they had vanished from the North.
...'Eight out of the Nine are accounted for at least,' said Gandalf. 'It is rash to be too sure, yet I think that we may hope now that the Ringwraiths were scattered, and have been obliged to return as best they could to their Master in Mordor, empty and shapeless... ...it will be some time before they can begin the hunt again. Of course the Enemy has other servants, but they will have to journey all the way to the borders of Rivendell before they can pick up our trail. And if we are careful that will be hard to find. But we must delay no longer.'"

December 17, 2003
1. The Return of the King.

...The U.S. release of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

December 17, 2014
1. The Battle of Five Armies.

...The U.S. release of The Hobbit: The Battle of [the] Five Armies.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 17 2021, 7:41am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 17 2021, 3:08pm

Post #33 of 44 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Re: TIME - December 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

December 17, 1944 (Common Era)
1. Bernard Hill born in Blackley, Manchester, UK.

Bernard Hill turns seventy-seven years old today. Happy birthday, King Théoden!

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 18 2021, 3:19pm

Post #34 of 44 (1995 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 18, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The time had come for planning.
(not from the appendices-determined from text)

..."Elrond summoned the hobbits to him. He looked gravely at Frodo. 'The time has come... ...If the Ring is to set out, it must go soon. But those who go with it must not count on their errand being aided by war or force. They must pass into the domain of the Enemy far from aid. Do you still hold to your word, Frodo, that you will be the Ring-bearer?'
...'I do,' said Frodo. 'I will go with Sam.'
...'Then I cannot help you much, not even with counsel... ...I can foresee very little of your road; and how your task is to be achieved I do not know. The Shadow has crept now to the feet of the Mountains, and draws nigh even to the borders of the Greyflood; and under the Shadow all is dark to me. You will meet many foes, some open, and some disguised; and you may find friends upon your way when you least look for it. I will send out messages, such as I can contrive, to those whom I know in the wide world....
...'...And I will choose you companions to go with you, as far as they will or fortune allows. The number must be few, since your hope is in speed and secrecy. Had I a host of Elves in armour of the Elder Days, it would avail little, save to arouse the power of Mordor.
...'The Company of the Ring shall be Nine... ...the Nine Walkers shall be set against the Nine Riders that are evil. With you and your faithful servant, Gandalf will go for this shall be his great task, and maybe the end of his labours.
...'For the rest, they shall represent the other Free Peoples of the World: Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Legolas shall be for the Elves; and Gimli son of Glóin for the Dwarves. They are willing to go at least to the passes of the Mountains, and maybe beyond. For men you shall have Aragorn son of Arathorn, for the Ring of Isildur concerns him closely.'
...'Strider!' cried Frodo.
...'Yes,' he said with a smile. 'I ask leave once again to be your companion, Frodo.'
...'I would have begged you to come,... ...only I thought you were going to Minas Tirith with Boromir.'
...'I am,' said Aragorn. 'And the Sword-that-was-Broken shall be re-forged ere I set out to war. But your road and our road lie together for many hundreds of miles. Therefore Boromir will also be in the Company. He is a valiant man.'
...'There remains two more to be found... ...These I will consider. Of my household I may find some that it seems good to me to send.'
...'But that will leave no place for us!' cried Pippin in dismay. 'We don't want to be left behind. We want to go with Frodo.'
...'That is because you do not understand and cannot imagine what lies ahead,' said Elrond.
...'Neither does Frodo,' said Gandalf, unexpectedly supporting Pippin. 'Nor do any of us see clearly. It is true that if these hobbits understood the danger, they would not dare to go. But they would still wish to go, or wish that they dared, and be shamed and unhappy. I think... ...that in this matter it would be well to trust rather to their friendship than to great wisdom. Even if you choose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the road to the Fire by the power that is in him.'
...'You speak gravely,' said Elrond, 'but I am in doubt. The Shire, I forebode, is not free now from peril; and these two I had thought to send back there as messengers, to do what they could, according to the fashion of their country, to warn the people of their danger... ...I judge that the younger of these two, Peregrin Took, should remain. My heart is against his going.'
...'Then, Master Elrond, you will have to lock me in prison, or send me home tied in a sack,' said Pippin, 'For otherwise I shall follow the Company.'
...'Let it be so then. You shall go,' said Elrond, and he sighed. 'Now the tale of Nine is filled.'"

December 18, 2002
1. The Two Towers.

...The U.S. release of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2021, 5:42pm

Post #35 of 44 (1991 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 19, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Sam home in the Shire.

..."All things now went well, with hope always of becoming still better; and Sam was as busy and as full of delight as even a hobbit could wish. Nothing for him marred that whole year, except for some vague anxiety about his master."

December 19, 2021
1. The Fellowship of the Ring.

...Today marks the 20th Anniversary of the U.S. release of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring!!

...A film depicting events within the world of Middle-earth and its various kindred and creatures. The ultimate story of good versus evil, Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantastic tale is released on the world.
...Little did they know what was about to be unleashed. A small, remote, peaceful realm that caused the powerful to look up and the citizenry everywhere to find hope and refuge. Whether you want to call it Middle-earth or New Zealand is up to you... it's an incredible journey for faithful readers and a discovery for the masses.

The Fellowship of the Ring
The Argonath
The Ring-bearer

Boxoffice Mojo for FotR

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 19 2021, 7:25pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2021, 12:34pm

Post #36 of 44 (1967 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Bag End is restored.

..."...One of the first things done in Hobbiton, before even the removal of the new mill, was the clearing of the Hill and Bag End, and the restoration of Bagshot Row. The front of the new sand-pit was all levelled and made into a large sheltered garden... ...new holes were dug in the southward face, back into the Hill, and they were lined with brick. The Gaffer was restored to Number Three; and he said often and did not care who heard it:
...'It's an ill wind as blows nobody no good, as I always say. And All's well as ends Better!'
...There was some discussion of the name that the new row should be given. Battle Gardens was thought of, or Better Smials. But after a while in sensible hobbit-fashion it was just called New Row. It was a purely Bywater joke to refer to it as Sharkey's End."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 21 2021, 12:27pm

Post #37 of 44 (1950 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 21, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship prepares to depart.

..."The Sword of Elendil was forged anew by elvish smiths, and on its blade was traced a device of seven stars set between the crescent Moon and the rayed Sun... ...above them were written many runes; for Aragorn son of Arathorn was going to war upon the marches of Mordor. Very bright was that sword when it was made whole again; the light of the sun shone redly in it, and the light of the moon shone cold, and its edge was hard and keen. And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West."

December 21, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Shire is reborn.

..."...the labour of repair went on apace, and Sam was kept very busy. Hobbits can work like bees when the mood and the need comes to them. Now there were thousands of willing hands of all ages, from the small but nimble... ...hobbit lads and lasses to the well-worn and horny ones of the gaffers and gammers. Before Yule not a brick was left standing of the new Shirriff-houses or of anything that had been built by 'Sharkey's Men'; but the bricks were used to repair many an old hole, to make it snugger and drier. Great stores of goods and food, and beer, were found that had been hidden away... ...in sheds and barns and deserted holes, and especially in the tunnels at Michel Delving and in the old quarries at Scary; so that there was a great deal better cheer that than anyone had hoped for."

December 21, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. The Shire is back to normal... for some.
(not from the appendices-no text)

...Rosie watches Sam as he quietly leads in the renewal of the Shire, tends to their gardens outside the windows of Bag End, and delights in play with baby Elanor. But she also sees him as he stands still in the garden resting heavily against his hoe looking to the distant west beyond the mountains and across the sea.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2021, 1:30pm

Post #38 of 44 (1929 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 22, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Hobbits relax before departing.

..."In those last days the hobbits sat together in the evening in the Hall of Fire, and there among many tales they heard told in full the lay of Beren and Lúthien and the winning of the Great Jewel; but in the day, while Merry and Pippin were out and about, Frodo and Sam were to be found with Bilbo in his own small room. Then Bilbo would read passages from his book... ...or scraps of his verses, or would take notes of Frodo's adventures."

December 22, 2000
1. Principal photography ends.

......Principal photography for Peter Jackson's 3-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's saga The Lord of the Rings is completed. After nearly 3 months of cast preparation in swordplay, boating, dancing and dialect coaching, concurrent filming for the 3-part story began on October 11, 1999 and was finished on December 22, 2000. However, it was not the end of photography as there were "pick up" shots before each subsequent film's release. For an average of 6 weeks each year, "pick ups" were shot from 2001 through 2004...after Return of the King's 11-Oscar Award sweep on February 29, 2004 for a total of 17 Oscar Awards won for the trilogy.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 23 2021, 2:15pm

Post #39 of 44 (1891 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

TIME - pre-December 24 – pt.1 of 2 for December 24
The 24th has quite a long post as Bilbo and Frodo have one more quiet visit. So I'm offering it in 2 parts. Here's the first as...
Tomorrow in Middle-earth.

December 24, 3018 (S.R. 1418) pt.1
1. The time has almost come to depart.

..."On the morning of the last day Frodo was alone with Bilbo, and the old hobbit pulled out from under his bed a wooden box. He lifted the lid and fumbled inside.
...'Here is your sword.... ...But it was broken, you know. I took it to keep it safe, but I've forgotten to ask if the smiths could mend it. No time now. So I thought, perhaps, you would care to have this, don't you know?'
...He took from the box a small sword in an old shabby leather scabbard. Then he drew it, and its polished and well-tended blade glittered suddenly, cold and bright. 'This is Sting,' he said, and thrust it with little effort deep into a wooden beam. 'Take it... ...I shan't want it again, I expect.'
...Frodo accepted it gratefully.
...'Also there is this!' said Bilbo, bringing out a parcel which seemed to be rather heavy for its size. He unwound several folds of old cloth, and held up a small shirt of mail. It was close-woven of many rings, as supple almost as linen, cold as ice... ...harder than steel. It shone like moonlit silver, and was studded with white gems. With it was a belt of pearl and crystal.
...'It's a pretty thing, isn't it?' said Bilbo, moving it in the light. 'And useful. It is my dwarf-mail that Thorin gave me. I got it back from Michel Delving... ...and packed it with my luggage. I brought all the mementoes of my Journey away with me, except the Ring. But I did not expect to use this, and I don't need it now, except to look at sometimes. You hardly feel any weight when you put it on.'
...'I should look—well, I don't think I should look right in it,' said Frodo.
...'Just what I said myself... ...But never mind about looks. You can wear it under your outer clothes. Come on! You must share this secret with me. Don't tell anybody else! But I should feel happier if I knew you were wearing it. I have a fancy it would turn even the knives of the Black Riders,' he ended in a low voice.
...'Very well, I will take it,' said Frodo. Bilbo put it on him, and fastened Sting upon the glittering belt; and then Frodo put over the top his old weather-stained breeches, tunic, and jacket.
...'Just a plain hobbit you look... ...But there is more about you now than appears on the surface. Good luck to you!' He turned away and looked out of the window, trying to hum a tune."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 23 2021, 2:16pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2021, 3:39pm

Post #40 of 44 (1868 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

This is quite a long post as Bilbo and Frodo have one more quiet visit. So I'm offering it in 2 parts. Here's the second as...

Today in Middle-earth.

December 24, 3018 (S.R. 1418) pt.2
1. The time has almost come to depart.

..."'I cannot thank you as I should, Bilbo... ...and for all your past kindnesses,' said Frodo.
...'Don't try!' said the old hobbit, turning round and slapping him on the back. 'Ow!' he cried. 'You are too hard now to slap! but there you are: hobbits must stick together, and especially Bagginses. All I ask in return is take as much care of yourself as you can, and bring back all the news you can, and any old songs and tales you can... ...I'll do my best to finish my book before you return. I should like to write the second book, if I am spared.' He broke off and turned to the window again singing softly.'

I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
that I shall ever see.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
there is a different green.

of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think
of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
and voices at the door'."

(Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p.364 FotR)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 24 2021, 4:55pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 25 2021, 11:09am

Post #41 of 44 (1845 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 25, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Company of the Ring leaves Rivendell at dusk.
(from the appendices)

..."...It was a cold grey day near the end of December... ...They were to start at dusk, for Elrond counselled them to journey under the cover of night as often as they could, until they were far from Rivendell.
...'You should fear the many eyes of the servants of Sauron,' he said. 'I do not doubt that news of the discomfiture of the Riders has already reached him, and he will be filled with wrath. Soon now his spies on foot and wing will be abroad... ...Even of the sky above you must beware as you go on your way.'
...The Company took little gear of war, for their hope was in secrecy not in battle. Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon, and he went forth clad only in rusty green and brown, as a ranger of the wilderness. Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Andúril but of less lineage, and he bore also a shield and his war-horn.
...'Loud and clear it sounds in the valleys of the hills,' he said, 'and then let all the foes of Gondor flee!' Putting it to his lips he blew a blast, and the echoes leapt from rock to rock, and all that heard that voice in Rivendell sprang to their feet.
...'Slow should you be to wind that horn again, Boromir,' said Elrond, 'until you stand once more on the borders of your land, and dire need is on you.'
...'Maybe... ...But always I have let my horn cry at setting forth, and though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night.'
...Gimli the dwarf alone wore openly a short shirt of steel-rings... ...and in his belt was a broad-bladed axe. Legolas had a bow and a quiver, and at his belt a long white knife. The younger hobbits wore the swords that they had taken from the barrow; but Frodo took only Sting; and his mail-coat, as Bilbo wished, remained hidden. Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the Elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain.
...All were well furnished by Elrond with thick warm clothes, and they had jackets and cloaks lined with fur. Spare food and clothes and blankets and other needs were laden on a pony, none other than the poor beast that they had brought from Bree.
...The stay in Rivendell had worked a great wonder... ...on him: he was glossy and seemed to have the vigour of youth. It was Sam who had insisted on choosing him, declaring that Bill (as he called him) would pine, if he did not come.
...'That animal can nearly talk... ...and would talk, if he stayed here much longer. He gave me a look as plain as Mr. Pippin could speak it: "If you don't let me go with you, Sam, I'll follow on my own."' So Bill was going as the beast of burden, yet he was the only member of the Company that did not seem depressed."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 25 2021, 2:53pm

Post #42 of 44 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Have you had a merry Yuletide, gramma? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yuletide on the Calendar of the Shire starts on 29 Foreyule and ends on 2 Afteryule. By Tolkien's own estimate, that translates for us from December 20 to December 25, making this the final day of the Yuletide season.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2021, 3:13pm

Post #43 of 44 (1776 views)
Shortcut
Yes!! et tu? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope yours has been great... and thank you for this calendar update :D Have a GREAT NEW YEAR!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 26 2021, 3:14pm

Post #44 of 44 (1779 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 26, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship sets out.

... "At the Ford of Bruinen they left the Road... ...turning southwards [they] went on by narrow paths among the folded lands. Their purpose was to hold this course west of the Mountains for many miles and days. The country was much rougher and more barren than in the green vale of the great River in Wilderland on the other side of the range, and their going would be slow; but they hoped in this way to escape the notice of unfriendly eyes. The spies of Sauron had hitherto seldom been seen in this empty country... ...the paths were little known except to the people of Rivendell.
...Gandalf walked in front, and with him went Aragorn, who knew this land even in the dark. The others were in file behind, and Legolas whose eyes were keen was the rearguard."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.