The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
See, Half-Brother! This Is Sharper than Thy Tongue

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 14 2007, 11:52pm

Post #1 of 8 (840 views)
Shortcut
See, Half-Brother! This Is Sharper than Thy Tongue Can't Post

"Fingolfin bowed before Finwe, and without a word or glance to Feanor he went from the chamber. But Feanor followed him, and at the door of the king's house he stayed him; and the point of his bright sword he set against Fingolfin's breast. 'See, half-brother!' he said. 'This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls.'

"These words were heard by many, for the house of Finwe was in the great square beneath the Mindon; but again Fingolfin made no answer, and passing through the throng in silence he went to seek Finarfin his brother."

The Silmarillion

s

This was one of the "artists' challenge" we did for Mythlore. The regular artists were all given this passage to illustrate, and the results were published in the subsequent issue. None of us had seen what the others had drawn. I loved the results. It was great seeing what the others had come up with.

Pen and ink.

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 15 2007, 12:00am

Post #2 of 8 (629 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I really like this one. / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
~Oscar Wilde

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 15 2007, 1:16am

Post #3 of 8 (630 views)
Shortcut
I can feel the tension in that picture. [In reply to] Can't Post

Who are the male and female elf huddled together on the right?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 1:50am

Post #4 of 8 (635 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

>>Who are the male and female elf huddled together on the right?

Just a couple of the eyewitnesses to Feanor's threat.

linkin-artelf
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 4:56am

Post #5 of 8 (658 views)
Shortcut
Love it! Intense. [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"I walk along the shore and I gaze
At the light that radiates down
Will it travel forth to you
Far across this shimmering sea?"
formerly linkinparkelf

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 17 2007, 6:46pm

Post #6 of 8 (625 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of my favorite scenes from The Silmarillion, and I'm glad to see your illustration of it.

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Patty
Immortal

Mar 19 2007, 5:52pm

Post #7 of 8 (599 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorite scenes too, although.. [In reply to] Can't Post

it's unsettling to see Valinor as a place of tension and trouble. It never seems the "haven" to me that it should be, if this kind of mess could happen once (among elves!) it could happen again.

I think your costumes are wonderful, Wonderbroad.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 20 2007, 3:02am

Post #8 of 8 (627 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

>>I think your costumes are wonderful, Wonderbroad.

Thank you. I sometimes get flak about this drawing, with people not so keen on Feanor's helmet. But I was only going by what was described by Tolkien: "And Feanor made a secret forge, of which not even Melkor was aware; and there he tempered fell swords for himself and for his sons, and made tall helms with plumes of red." (Emphasis mine here and below.)

And later: "...Feanor strode into the chamber, and he was fully armed: his high helm upon his head, and at his side a mighty sword."

(Both quotes from The Silmarillion)

So thanks for noticing the particulars. I appreciate it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.