https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HjjYsSuZyM

A look and reading of The New Shadow.

Dunadan of North Arnor
Rivendell

Dec 7 2021, 11:11am

Post #2 of 17 (4413 views)
Shortcut
If anyone does view this excellent Y-tube video... [In reply to] Can't Post

and still doesn’t think that Herumor of the 2nd Age was to become the Lord of the Nazgul, the Black Captain of Tal-Elmar, and the Witch-king of Angmar, and survived to become Herumor, Dark Lord of the New Shadow of the 4th Age...

should seriously second guess their Tolkien fandom. Ha.

(Definitely do yourself a X-mas gift this year and get the book ‘Meditations on Middle-earth’ and read Harry Turtledove’s chapter. Amazon might help, though they’re not helping much with the upcoming series, ha ha)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 7 2021, 3:05pm

Post #3 of 17 (4399 views)
Shortcut
With the loss of the Rings of Power I assume all of the Nazgul [In reply to] Can't Post

would have died as the power sustaining them was gone.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 7 2021, 3:46pm

Post #4 of 17 (4394 views)
Shortcut
Herumor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If anyone does view this excellent Y-tube video...
and still doesn’t think that Herumor of the 2nd Age was to become the Lord of the Nazgul, the Black Captain of Tal-Elmar, and the Witch-king of Angmar, and survived to become Herumor, Dark Lord of the New Shadow of the 4th Age...

should seriously second guess their Tolkien fandom. Ha.

I would argue that Herumor was born too late into the Second Age to be one of the Nazgûl (who first appeared in Wraith-form around S.A. 2251).

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

InTheChair
Rohan

Dec 7 2021, 9:43pm

Post #5 of 17 (4384 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a shame if every name of a Black Numenorean, or Haradrim or Easterling we get, which are few enough, should be thought of as becoming a Nazgul. Gives them a little more character if some of them reached fame or infamy without artificial boosting.

Names commonly thrown around, somewhat carelessly, in Nazgul speculations include

Herumor and Fuinur
Gothmog (That can't be his own name surely?)
Tal-Elmar

Of those I would only really consider Gothmog, and then only as a name that the Gondorians used for him, but he may have been a no more than a human as well.

For certain we know only the name Khamûl. (Unless you wish to use Angmar as a name)

Not sure if we should know names for the Nazgul really. Names and languages is always presented as the special love of Elves, while of enemies such as the Mouth of Sauron, I think it is said the even he himself had forgotten his name. Perhaps he only referred to himself as the herald of Sauron as a mark of high rank? (Though he wouldn't have said Sauron, that must be a translation.)

For the rest we only know that at least three of the Nazgul were originally Numenoreans (Wonder if that will have some effect on the TV show?), and that one of them was from the east.

Don't remember if anything is said about the other five.

When it comes to the Witch-king I almost feel it a bit of shame that they didn't keep the original Wizard-king, where he had been one of Gandalfs order, though perhaps with Saruman another one would have just been too much.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Dec 7 2021, 9:45pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 8 2021, 5:00am

Post #6 of 17 (4357 views)
Shortcut
Still... [In reply to] Can't Post

it would have made for a very interesting epic. A blue wizard, thought lost, hidden for two ages in the east, presenting as a common wandering man, bides his time until Sauron is vanquished, only to rise up from the ashes and gather his strength...and it is discovered that he himself bred dragons saved from a solitary dragon egg that he had found in his wanderings, hid them from Sauron (out of fear that he'd use them, instead), and, when he had gathered enough strength to strike out against the Free Peoples, used them to a terrible end...

Perhaps even some heroes were to be found amongst the Haradrim, and Easterlings, who had accepted the pardon of Elessar, and were, in fact, good men forced to fight an evil war...even some Avari could enter the picture, too. Perhaps they didn't all perish, and some still dwelt in the east?

Could be quite interesting!

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Dec 8 2021, 5:02am)

Dunadan of North Arnor
Rivendell

Dec 8 2021, 9:57am

Post #7 of 17 (4341 views)
Shortcut
To quote Harry Turtledove, renowned author... [In reply to] Can't Post

“I came to the conclusion that the chief evil power of the Fourth Age would be the Lord of the Nazgul... Consider: the Fourth Age is to be the Age of Man...And when the Nazgul’s spirit left him, it ‘faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind... and was never heard again IN THAT AGE OF THE WORLD’. Not in the Third Age certainly, but what of the Fourth?”

“I may also note that, having thus been disembodied, the Lord of the Nazgul was not caught, as were the other eight of his kind, in the incinerating eruption of Mount Doom after the Ring went into the fire. And in a footnote to Letter 246... Tolkien writes ‘The Witch-king had been reduced to IMPOTENCE.’ Tolkien does not say the Ringwraith was slain, so I have, at least, a case.”

So there you have it. At least read the full chapter in ‘Meditations’ before throwing back conclusions. But speaking of Ages, we live in an age where every young whip thinks they’re right and every old fool is wrong. So I stand to be corrected... alongside author Harry Turtledove of course.

Smile

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 8 2021, 3:55pm

Post #8 of 17 (4321 views)
Shortcut
I would expect a rapid aging and at best spectral / ghost like existent if at all [In reply to] Can't Post

.......a puff of mist or....as the chapter title hints at....a shadow.

Look at any cult / religion.....all it takes is a charismatic leader making claims and a few tricks for the multitudes.

There were many in the east who belonged to the Sauron cult. Not all were killed in war. Once the power - in this case - evil was tasted, it does not take much to corrupt men. They crave it. Modern examples - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Xi, Kim, Castro etc.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 8 2021, 3:59pm

Post #9 of 17 (4321 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a terrible battle between the two Blue Wizards - one to stayed true and the other [In reply to] Can't Post

who somehow got corrupted from his mission.

Interesting fan fiction.

Gandalf left ME, Saruman was a puff of spiteful smoke, Radagast...unknown.....Blue Wizards unknown. So three could have been in ME.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 8 2021, 4:00pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 8 2021, 4:07pm

Post #10 of 17 (4319 views)
Shortcut
Consider this line by Gandalf: [In reply to] Can't Post

""You can not enter here," said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. "Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!"

Nothingness with the loss of the ring. Maybe into the outer void with Melkor.

Melkor to Sauron - fool, you made the same mistake I did!
Voldemort moans...........Melkor, shut up, you too fell into the same trap.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 8 2021, 4:12pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 8 2021, 6:47pm

Post #11 of 17 (4301 views)
Shortcut
I foresee a significant amount of arguing [In reply to] Can't Post

in the Void- maybe we should send Aspirin!

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Dunadan of North Arnor
Rivendell

Dec 9 2021, 12:46pm

Post #12 of 17 (4259 views)
Shortcut
I’ll respond in kind, as such a conversation is long awaited here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I think, along with Harry Turtledove, that the Witch-king was to be the New Shadow. Turtledove strongly states his case. Read it, please! It goes with Tolkien’s going from Morgoth, to Sauron, to the Witch-king (??) over the Ages, Lieutenants becoming the new Dark Lords. And again, Herumor translates to ‘Dark Lord’.

But that’s my head-canon, I wouldn’t impose it on anyone, no matter how in error I thought they may be.

Smile

Dunadan of North Arnor
Rivendell

Dec 9 2021, 12:53pm

Post #13 of 17 (4254 views)
Shortcut
and let me ask, who the hell is the New Shadow otherwise? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 9 2021, 2:53pm

Post #14 of 17 (4250 views)
Shortcut
So Turtledove's argument is that: [In reply to] Can't Post

"And when the Nazgul’s spirit left him, it ‘faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind... and was never heard again IN THAT AGE OF THE WORLD’. Not in the Third Age certainly, but what of the Fourth?”

Why would he think that a destroyed - "faded to a shrill wailing passing in the wind" - could somehow reanimate and retain power? That makes no sense to me. The only reason the Nazgul had any power was the linkage to Sauron and the Ring. They were destroyed.

The New Shadow is not The Old Shadow. It seems to have grown in the hearts of men. Evil still exists from the point of creation. If the term Herumor is just a title it could apply to multiple people, things.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 9 2021, 2:54pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 9 2021, 3:06pm

Post #15 of 17 (4249 views)
Shortcut
Here is some gaming fiction along the same lines [In reply to] Can't Post

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/...f-mordor-review.html

"Shadow of Mordor uses a protagonist who is the opposite of your typical Tolkien one: a man who attempts to use dark magic and terror against the enemy in order to highlight the Lord of the Rings' themes on why this is a bad idea.

Talion is an individual who desires revenge for his slain wife and child while the Bright Lord is an elf who has his own reasons for wanting to destroy Sauron. The game is aware Talion is being led down a dark path and watching it unfold is like enjoying a good tragedy."

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 19 2021, 4:36am

Post #16 of 17 (3947 views)
Shortcut
Well, technically speaking.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mouth of Sauron never died. Never was mentioned again when he rode back through the Black Gate just prior to the collapse of Barad-dûr. Interestingly enough, he was referred to as a "Black Númenórean", and he already seemed to have an intriguing bit of longevity at the time of the War of the Ring.

I ran with that idea in a speculative novel I wrote more than a decade ago concerning the Eastern lands after Eldarion's death:

https://www.fanfiction.net/...888325-0-gaNycGzNCD0

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Dec 19 2021, 4:38am)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2022, 7:57pm

Post #17 of 17 (2526 views)
Shortcut
– "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!" [In reply to] Can't Post

There's more than enough evil in the hearts of men and more than enough little bits and pieces of sorcery spread throughout Middle Earth to create several new shadows. IMHO

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.