**I got the keys!!! It's time for Fiesta Friday!!! :D
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2021, 5:34pm

Post #26 of 39 (355 views)
Shortcut
It's healing well! [In reply to] Can't Post

That itching is a very good sign - annoying, but positive. Hooray for being able to toss the sling aside now!

Is the botanical garden's the kind that you walk through, or drive through? (Around here we've always had drive-through light festivals in the larger parks.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2021, 5:44pm

Post #27 of 39 (353 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they were a bit frisky... [In reply to] Can't Post

pizza pacified them! Yes, the knitted goods include Santas, snowmen, angels, crocheted snowflakes, baubles (made around polystyrene balls) - and a few rather scary clowns donated to us. Not sure if they'll sell, but you never know! Lots of cot blankets, hats, scarves and general children's knitwear. This cold weather might encourage people to buy!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2021, 5:48pm

Post #28 of 39 (353 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I never take the closeness for granted. [In reply to] Can't Post

It works both ways of course; I'm handy for looking after the boys and/or the dog, checking the house while they're away etc. The other grandmother is fine with the boys but finds the dog a bit much! They used to have a dainty little miniature Schnauzer; a big butch collie is rather a different proposition.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 4 2021, 7:11pm

Post #29 of 39 (347 views)
Shortcut
walk through [In reply to] Can't Post

hence the need for spacing folks out.

https://bellevuebotanical.org/garden-dlights/

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2021, 8:01pm

Post #30 of 39 (343 views)
Shortcut
My room is shaping up [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't really call it an office. It still has the bed and dresser that my son didn't need. It's my grandma's set and really good, solid furniture so we won't selling that. But there is room for my desk now that his desk is gone and my file cabinets. He cleared out the bookshelves so now I can put all my pharmacy reference material within reach for when I get the telemedicine work up to speed.

We're getting a lot of kids and a lot of boosters but yes, we're still getting those who are getting their first shot. I'm thrilled with every single person coming through that door. One more step to beating this darn thing.

Tick Tick Boom - beware - fangirl gushing to follow...

Oh my gosh... Certain movies... I just connect to them on a different level. Maybe it was the timing, with Sondheim passing away the day I watched it. Maybe I just "get" Lin Manuel-Miranda's style of storytelling and I find it beautiful. Maybe it really is that good. But I just can't stop watching it. I love the music. Some of the songs remind me of RENT and one in particular could have been "the song" Roger wrote for Mimi because it's better, in my opinion, than Your Eyes. The visuals are really complex. There's a sense of cramped space in the apartment scenes that mimics the issues Jonathan Larson is having with breaking out of the space he's been occupying with his musical. The breakthrough scene... I can't explain why it affected me so much but I cried. I sobbed. It is beautifully filmed but it's the emotion of the whole piece that got to be - he's frenetic, lacking focus, with too many things bearing down on him and then... something breaks through and all his creative forces flow. I've read about "flow" - the concept of being fully involved and immersed in and having an energized focus on the process of an activity. I've experienced it myself on rare occasions, once very recently. It's mind-blowing. It feels other-worldly. That feeling is what I saw on-screen. And amazingly, that's the not emotional payout scene of the movie. That comes later and that had me sobbing too, in all its simplicity.

So, Music = Great!. Acting = Amazing. Visuals = Beautiful. It helps to be a fan of Jonathan Larson's music and Lin Manuel-Miranda's storytelling I guess, but it's a darn good movie even without that.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2021, 8:06pm

Post #31 of 39 (341 views)
Shortcut
We've moved stuff upstairs [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I get the fun of putting it all away just how I want it!

My knee hurts. I poached a cold pack from the delivery drivers and tied it on my knee for the drive home yesterday. I really overdid it this week even with hubby and daughter doing most of the lifting today.

But finally after 25 years in this house - a space that is mine.

Thanks for the snack - now, back at it!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 5 2021, 3:55am

Post #32 of 39 (313 views)
Shortcut
Botanics are always a great break. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just happen to have a Bailey's and hot chocolate in my backpack. You've definitely earned it with all the pt work you've been doing. Has it really been 3 weeks already!?

I hope you had fun at the garden. It had to be so much easier to enjoy with fewer people around. :)

Have a GREAT weekend!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2021, 5:50pm

Post #33 of 39 (285 views)
Shortcut
I see the Houses of Healing are busy [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear so many stories of physical healing, and of Spring and Summer coming on in the South.
Miracle story from my extended family: in June my second cousin once removed learned that her unborn identical twins were affected by a potentially fatal complication [TTTS, if you want to Google it]. After amazing prenatal surgery, the boys survived and were born mostly healthy. They're already home from intensive care!
This year I don't plan to do anything for Christmas except venturing out to one or two concerts. For me the grief is still too near, a matter for tears ...

Please keep me and all the weary in your thoughts.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Annael
Immortal

Dec 5 2021, 7:32pm

Post #34 of 39 (277 views)
Shortcut
definitely holding you in mind [In reply to] Can't Post

Three others of my friends have lost their partners this year. I came across a post on Facebook that struck me as true (as someone who has also suffered a deep loss):

In the Lakota-Sioux tradition, a person who is grieving is considered most wakan, most holy. There's a sense that when someone is struck by the sudden lightning of loss, he or she stands on the threshold of the spirit world. The prayers of those who grieve are considered especially strong, and it is proper to ask them for their help.

You might recall what it's like to be with someone who has grieved deeply. The person has no layer of protection, nothing left to defend. The mystery is looking out through that person's eyes. For the time being, he or she has accepted the reality of loss and has stopped clinging to the past or grasping at the future. In the groundless openness of sorrow, there is a wholeness of presence and a deep natural wisdom.

~ Tara Brach

So yes, ignore anyone who tries to cheer you up or tells you that you need to be social now. Stay in that holy place as long as you need.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2021, 2:41am

Post #35 of 39 (252 views)
Shortcut
Laden with happiness and tears [In reply to] Can't Post

Such wonderful news about the twins! I have been amazed by what doctors are able to accomplish with early detection and in-utero surgery.

The holidays can be the most difficult to get through. I know your friends and church will be looking after you, and it's okay to let them know when you don't feel like doing something. Annael has provided wise words! You need to get through this time on your own terms. The grief is still too near, because the love was so deep. Heart

*hugs!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 6 2021, 2:17pm

Post #36 of 39 (223 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you'll be distracted [In reply to] Can't Post

Keeping in neutral places really is a good plan... especially with the distraction of being around activity but not pressed to interact. Come and go when you like.

Wonderful news about your cousin's twins! It gives you heart to have good things happening. You are on my mind and in my prayers all the time :) This year's going to be hard; but you have Grace on (and by) your side. *warm hug*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 6 2021, 2:24pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 6 2021, 2:23pm

Post #37 of 39 (218 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

That's really powerful. So true. Thank you.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2021, 1:54am

Post #38 of 39 (209 views)
Shortcut
That's great progress! [In reply to] Can't Post

To be at that stage after only three weeks must be very encouraging. Well done for being assiduous about your exercises.

The garden visit sounds lovely!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2021, 4:19am

Post #39 of 39 (199 views)
Shortcut
Keeping you in my thoughts, Elanor. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.