Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
This is a delight - watch a first-time viewer of The Followship of the Ring

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 29 2021, 1:22am

Post #1 of 9 (1933 views)
Shortcut
This is a delight - watch a first-time viewer of The Followship of the Ring Can't Post

YouTube user Popcorn in Bed watches old (eek) movies and we get to see her reactions. The videos are, thankfully, shorter than the films but she gets fully invested, and I was firmly reminded of many of my reactions when I first saw this movie in the theatre.

She ended up watching the extended version of FOTR so her reaction is split over two half-hour videos:

Part one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlxm1Qh3gkA

"Can we please just go back to the Shire and stay there for the rest of the movie?"

Part two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyc-3tVpDVA

"Saruman is the worst!"

Laugh

** Forgot to add: the sound issue in the first video is fixed after a few minutes.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 29 2021, 6:00am)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 29 2021, 11:50am

Post #2 of 9 (1866 views)
Shortcut
I always remember on one of my viewings of 'Fellowship' [In reply to] Can't Post

in the cinema, at the end when Frodo and Sam wander off into the wilderness, a little voice from somewhere behind me piped up in loud indignation, 'Is that IT??' they obviously hadn't grasped the concept of a trilogy! Oh, I did laugh...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 29 2021, 7:00pm

Post #3 of 9 (1849 views)
Shortcut
Heheh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Back when ROTK was coming out, a board member said a friend asked if she could watch this film without having seen the previous two.

I mean, she could *try*, but...

Laugh

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

lurtz2010
Rohan

Nov 1 2021, 12:08am

Post #4 of 9 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Iíve actually watched a few these first time vids of LOTR and the hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

This one couple I saw watched the lotr trilogy then went onto the hobbit but accidentally watched BOTFA first instead of AUJ because they googled the order wrong. They didnít even seem confused at all and just went along with it still thinking it was the first of three films and even at the end where Bilbo goes back home and itís a clear end to his adventure they were still excited to see what happens in the next two filmsÖ it was really weird. I felt like reaching through the screen and giving them a slap.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2021, 3:02am

Post #5 of 9 (1621 views)
Shortcut
Well, that was addicting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I'd just watch a few minutes into the first one...next thing I know, it's much later and I've watched all three.

Yes, I love her wanting to return to the Shire at the worst moments! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2021, 7:39pm

Post #6 of 9 (1566 views)
Shortcut
I adore how invested she was in the Fellowship surviving film three. [In reply to] Can't Post

She was right in the moment with Frodo and Sam amid the lava, and Gandalf getting his staff broken by the Witch-King. It was so much fun watching her fall in love with the story. Smile

My LOTR fan-fiction

VoronwŽ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 9 2021, 12:11am

Post #7 of 9 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for sharing this [In reply to] Can't Post

I only watched scattered bits of each of the seven videos, but I was really moved by how moved she was. I found myself tearing up right along with her. It is testament to the enduring brilliance of Tolkien's story, of the masterful job that Jackson and his team did in bring it to the screen, and of her own lovely nature.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Nov 11 2021, 7:31pm

Post #8 of 9 (1376 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could [In reply to] Can't Post

go back and watch it all for the first time.

ďI am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.Ē
J.R.R Tolkien

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 29 2021, 10:31pm

Post #9 of 9 (1085 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that she is so thoughtful in her manner. She was so insightful and so respectful of the story and its characters.
It really brought back memories for me. I had similar reactions. "Where is he going?" "Is she bad?" "Poor Frodo!" Seeing Frodo for the first time. Jumping out of my seat when Gandalf reached for the Ring in Bag End. Being apprehensive from the very beginning that something unfortunate was going to happen to these characters at any minute - I was nervous something bad was going to happen even at Bilbo's party :). And even at the very end, when Sam fell into the water, I thought, oh no, no, no, this can't happen, it just can't. I remember finding the Ringwraiths very frightening, the visual effects used and the screech sound - !!!!Shocked!!!! - their entry into The Prancing Pony and the inn-keeper's terror really had me cowering as well.

Cassie was much more composed than I was!

Her humor was endearing too --

Gandalf: "It's Gollum."
Frodo: "Gollum!"
Cassie: "Gollum?"

Laugh Thank you, Ataahua! I'm going to watch her viewing of TTT and ROTK too!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.