The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A simple question:

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 29 2021, 12:35am

Post #1 of 5 (2801 views)
Shortcut
A simple question: Can't Post

Bilbo earned a fourteenth share of the hoard at Erabor, but took only two chests of silver and gold home with him. I like to think that the Dwarves delivered additional chests of treasure over the years, which kept him in comfortable bachelorhood, and retirement all the days of his life. Is there any evidence to support this theory?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 29 2021, 1:54am

Post #2 of 5 (2776 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo asked to take only two small chests [In reply to] Can't Post

He had actually sacrificed his agreed upon 14th share after stealing the Arkenstone, but Bard offered to give him a big chunk of it, and Bilbo refused:

"Very kind of you," said Bilbo. "But really it is a relief to me. How on earth should I have got all that treasure home without war and murder all along the way, I don't know. And I don't know what I should have done with it when I got home. I am sure it is better in your hands."

In the end he would only take two small chests, one filled with silver, and the other with gold, such as one strong pony could carry. "That will be quite as much as I can manage," said he.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 29 2021, 3:36am

Post #3 of 5 (2770 views)
Shortcut
Supplemented with Troll treasure. [In reply to] Can't Post

On the way back home Bilbo and Gandalf also stopped to retrieve the treasure from the Troll hoard that was buried by Thorn & Company.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 29 2021, 4:12am

Post #4 of 5 (2766 views)
Shortcut
Nudged by Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

He tried to let Gandalf take it all, but Gandalf pointed out that Bilbo might find that he had more needs than he expected. Though Frodo later responded to Merry's question of how much of Bilbo's share was left by saying ‘None at all," because "Bilbo gave it all away. He told me he did not feel it was really his, as it came from robbers."

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2021, 6:34am

Post #5 of 5 (2600 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget the mithril coat [In reply to] Can't Post

Which Gandalf claimed was of more value than the Shire and everything in it! Although quite how Bilbo was going to trade this was anyone's guess!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.