The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A Few Questions about the Board

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 14 2007, 11:07pm

Post #1 of 11 (990 views)
Shortcut
A Few Questions about the Board Can't Post

Pallando here formerly known as Pallando_II...
Hey, C; what's up NZ? Altaira too!

First: sorry, but I can't find the former "question forum" where one would have ordinarily asked these type. I even read all the FAQs. Is there a forum for technical-type questions? Anyway can someone help me out a little:

1) The direction of the chronology here seems to be latest on top, earliest on bottom? It seems to progress "last on top" but there are some early posts at the very top. How does that work? Also the two old messages have a dot and one recent user message has a dot too. What's happening?

2) Can one set-up with all the post responses visible like the old message board? This may not be practical as some responses have big graphics in them and one might not get the same "look and feel"

3) Do you still have to save your long posts occasionally in Notepad in case they disappear?

Anyway this really looks like a slick board but please don't slap my hand for being off-topic.

Anyway good to be back, tho.

P aka P-II

For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 14 2007, 11:26pm

Post #2 of 11 (849 views)
Shortcut
Answers are there - just had to find them [In reply to] Can't Post

It just took me awhile to figure most of this this out. But where DO you go for questions?

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 11:40pm

Post #3 of 11 (825 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you, Pallando! [In reply to] Can't Post

The FAQ is in the Welcome Post on the Main Indes. If you don't find your answer there, the admins will respond to you on Feedback. The new Boards are very cool.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

Penthe
Gondor

Mar 15 2007, 12:24am

Post #4 of 11 (811 views)
Shortcut
I like your avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we're off topic anyway, I just thought I'd say so.

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 1:29am

Post #5 of 11 (815 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you! Sorry that I can´t help much [In reply to] Can't Post

as I'm still finding my way around too. For example, you've figured out how to do an avatar, which I haven't managed yet. Good to see that you're well and around though.

drogo
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 2:04am

Post #6 of 11 (819 views)
Shortcut
Some stabs at answers (to keep them here with the questions) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. You can change the sorting order for newest and oldest using the "Age (creation)" or, if you click on it, "Age (activity)." Creation keeps the older threads at the top in the order in which they were created, and just adds new posts to them (basically like the old board did), but activity makes the more active posts appear first. Feedback can help you in that more since I am still playing with it.

2. To view the forum in "flat" mode, go to Edit Profile and then Display Settings (it's a pull-down menu).

3. No, there is no annoying timer any more and no need for notepad.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 2:15am

Post #7 of 11 (813 views)
Shortcut
Why are some of the posts in Bold? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks drogo. Here's another:

Why are some of the posts in Bold?

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 15 2007, 2:23am

Post #8 of 11 (834 views)
Shortcut
*waves madly!!!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, Pallando old friend! Smile

I moved your post to the Feedback board, which is one of the great new features here (e.g., the ability moving posts and threads). As others have said, perusing the FAQ should help bring you up to speed on the rest of the changes.

If you need to test footers, etc. this Feedback board is the place to do it. Otherwise, PM me if you have any more questions, have fun and WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!! Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Pallando
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 2:34am

Post #9 of 11 (820 views)
Shortcut
Deciphering the Avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to give it a symbolism related to my LOTR character name. A "GURU" like C or NZ should see through it without too much trouble.

Pallando
"Junior no more"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15 2007, 3:40am

Post #10 of 11 (808 views)
Shortcut
Bold posts are unread. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's an easy way to see which posts have been added since you last opened the threads.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15 2007, 6:07am

Post #11 of 11 (866 views)
Shortcut
Except... [In reply to] Can't Post

once you're in the thread, then the post you're viewing is bolded and unread posts are marked with a red "New" tag.

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.