Ciao, and welcome to Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 22, 4:34pm

Post #1 of 58 (361 views)
Shortcut
Ciao, and welcome to Fiesta! Can't Post

*runs in late* I figure I have a pretty good excuse for being late - I'm 8 hours ahead of my regular time zone in beautiful Venice, Italy! Yes, B.G. and I had this planned for a while and, unlike a few other of our vacation plans, this trip didn't get cancelled. Of course, there are much bigger problems in the world than a few cancelled trips, but we're still very glad this trip happened.

So, what in the world are you up to wherever in the world you are? Have a pass at the buffet which is piled high with focaccia bread, handmade gnocchi, delicious gelato, and Venetian pizza if you dare (marinara sauce, mozzarella, sardines, onions and pine nuts), yum! At the bar, we're featuring spritz aperols and a number of Italian wines. So, enjoy!

Aperol spritz: 1 1/4 oz Aperol, 2 oz Prosecco, Splash of Soda water

*kicks juke box* That's Amore by Dean Martin begins to play.

Have a great weekend, everyone!! CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 22, 4:43pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 4:50pm

Post #2 of 58 (304 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I'd love one of those spritzes! [In reply to] Can't Post

And would it be okay if I removed the sardines from the pizza slice? Blush

Thank you, Altaira, what a surprise, is this your first visit? Is it really all canals like in the pictures? What have you visited so far?

It's general mayhem here, our PTO Book Fair and Basket Raffle is in its third and final day, and my library is home to all the activity! Nonstop kids and adults - in addition to the usual classes coming in for story and book checkout. Whew! The classrooms put together themed baskets (coffees & teas, outdoor sports, crafts, kitty items, ice cream maker, etc.) for the raffles. I've just come from pulling nearly $1,000 worth of books at the Book Fair for our library - our PTO is awesomely generous!

*sips* Okay, back into the fray! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 22, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 58 (301 views)
Shortcut
Hustle and Bustle! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds crazy there, in a good way - and to have the library as the center of it all, let me make that TWO spritzes, lol.

Yes, first visit for both B.G. and I. After seeing it, I think of Venice as the 8th man made wonder of the world. The center of the city is literally built on water with front doors opening up to canals. We got to our hotel via water taxi from the airport and went into the lobby of the hotel right off the boat. Between the canals are lovely, winding streets and alleyways with any number of cafes, shops, churches, and little bridges connecting it all between canals. Narry a car for miles.

Have a great weekend recovering from the craziness! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 22, 6:22pm

Post #4 of 58 (301 views)
Shortcut
How wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been to Venice, though my daughter has; she brought back some beautiful photos. Enjoy your trip! I've never tasted aperol spritz either - might have to try that at some point! Yum... Although I haven't drunk any alcohol for weeks; it wouldn't take much to knock me over at the moment! I have a quieter than usual week coming up because daughter and family are away - it's school half-term break. They're off to a dog-friendly cottage in SW Wales.

I'll be decorating my porch for Hallowe'en straight after the weekend.There's an official local 'pumpkin trail' set up this year and I'm part of it. I'm steering clear of ghoulish and aiming for a Hallowe'en party atmosphere with my display - a gold glitter curtain and whizzy disco light (on a timer) will be a change from all the zombies, werewolves etc! I'm using an led camping light with orange tissue paper over it instead of tealights in the pumpkin, to last longer and minimise handling, as it's all a bit involved and likely to be rather precarious.
Have a good weekend, folks - cheers!

Annael
Immortal

Oct 22, 6:49pm

Post #5 of 58 (300 views)
Shortcut
we love an Aperol spritz in my family! [In reply to] Can't Post

I dress it up for the holidays with pomegranate arils and a sprig of rosemary.

Now that things are just about over as far as executing my dad's estate (we hit a bit of a road bump with the reverse mortgage people - NEVER GET A REVERSE MORTGAGE! THEY ARE PREDATORS! - but that seems to be over, fingers crossed), I am WRITING AGAIN! Back researching my historical novel, seriously thinking of expanding a 10,000-word essay I wrote on magic to become a book(let), and today I posted this article on LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/...aolZnHh41s1YmFOQwNcA

The monsoons have arrived here in the PNW. Fortunately California, which desperately needs rain, is also getting some of it. I'm making an effort to get in a good walk every day regardless ("there is no bad weather only the wrong clothing") and working on my "pre-hab" for my surgery in 3 weeks.

Have a fabulous time in Venice!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 22, 7:04pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 22, 7:58pm

Post #6 of 58 (292 views)
Shortcut
A pumpkin trail! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like so much fun and I love your ideas. Does being part of the pumpkin trail just entail decorating or is cany-handing-out part of the duties too?

I'll post some pictures soon. In the meantime enjoy your weekend of non-scary decorating!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 22, 8:09pm

Post #7 of 58 (290 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your article, that is (okay, aperol spritzes too).

I like this part:

what they look like is less important than the goal they are trying to reach and how they go about reaching it. We all benefit from their courage, and any one of us can strive to be like them.

If you think about all the heroes in all the stories, weak or strong, male or female or even human or animal, it's so true. Very well said!

Back to the spritz, pomegranate sounds perfect! We'll have to try that.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 58 (291 views)
Shortcut
It's a long weekend here [In reply to] Can't Post

and the weather looks to be warm but wet from tomorrow. Ah well - more time for reading. Smile

I'm slowly getting the garden in shape for summer. Last week was edging the lawns (I didn't realise just how far the lawn had crept over the concrete until I cut off the excess!) and such a simple tidy-up makes a big difference to how a garden looks. I still have to cut the blasted hedge but I had good news on that: the person who bought the subdivided empty section behind me wants to replace it with a fence. Yussss! I've been wanting this for ages! My half of the cost is substantial but it'll be worth it to get rid of the weed-infested thing. We just need to get the property owners next door to also buy in (they've been reluctant) and the entire stretch of hedge can go.

I've been looking into buying an electric bike (for exercise, and to enjoy our Coastal Walkway when it's extended from 13km to 20km in a few years' time) and by crikey they're expensive! But the biggest stumbling block is putting on my big-girl pants and actually going into a shop to talk with a knowledgeable staff member. I'm not the most confident when it comes to fronting up to people, especially when I'm in a space where I don't know what's what. (It doesn't help that the only bike I've been on in the last 30 years is an exercycle.) Bah. Too many options; not enough brain-space to make sense of them all.

Anyway, I hope you all have a lovely weekend wherever you are. (Although that wouldn't be difficult in VENICE!) Tongue Cheers, ALL!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Annael
Immortal

Oct 22, 9:05pm

Post #9 of 58 (284 views)
Shortcut
I think we'll need some pictures . . .// [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Oct 22, 9:41pm

Post #10 of 58 (286 views)
Shortcut
bike [In reply to] Can't Post

For Christmas I received an adult tricycle (because I have balance issues). It carries a lot in the rear basket and is a pleasant street ride. Human-powered and definitely *not* designed for off-terrain or mountain biking.
ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 9:50pm

Post #11 of 58 (289 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're lucky enough to have had several visits to Venice - quite a few years since the last one, but it's not a place that changes much :) The cliche that it's a pleasure to get lost among the winding ways is very true, along with the claim that almost every campo has a church with some piece of art worth seeing. And there's the Accademia, one of my very favourite galleries. And that blessed absence of cars you refer to - magic. Most especially at night, when 95% of the visitors seem to have faded away.

Much quieter here :) The weather has turned yucky again, which means it's no hardship to stay home. Mr Kimi chopped a lot of firewood this morning, always a pleasant sight :) - then made scones, which we had with homemade lemon curd.

I had my second follow-up visit with the orthopaedic surgeon, and he was very pleased with progress (sample conv: "Can you move it like this? Oh, you can move it *that* much*? That's great!"). I can now do weight-bearing and strengthening exercises. I've also started playing piano again, albeit haltingly and not for long at a time - nothing like those octaves for a good stretch. My hand physio said she's never had a patient with a similar injury be doing so well at this stage of recovery. So that all felt good, and partly made up for the surgeon saying it's likely to be a year before full recovery.

The other reason for celebration in the Kimi household is that I've *finished* the final draft of my new book. There's formatting, etc, to do, but the end is well and truly in sight. We're now planning the (online) launch, which is a lot of fun.

I'll raise a glass of prosecco today in honour of your vacation, as well as our own celebrations!

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Oct 22, 9:51pm)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 10:10pm

Post #12 of 58 (285 views)
Shortcut
The pumpkin trail [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds such fun! And I love your cheerful theme ideas. Very clever!

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 10:16pm

Post #13 of 58 (283 views)
Shortcut
Excellent news all round! [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine it must have been very difficult to summon any creative energy with so much else going on - I know I wouldn't have been able to. Such a wonderful feeling to get back into it, I'm sure.

There's been so much rain here recently that my nearest city has declared their two-year long water restrictions over! (That didn't apply to us, as we have our own supply). I wouldn't mind a bit of sunshine now.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 10:17pm

Post #14 of 58 (284 views)
Shortcut
So much going on! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds simultaneously exhausting and satisfying :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 10:21pm

Post #15 of 58 (284 views)
Shortcut
E-bikes look such fun. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much use where we are, but I imagine it being great on that wonderful coastal walkway - I had one or two whir up behind and past me when running along there last time (and goodness knows when "next time" will be) we were down. But yes, scarily pricey, too - not something you want to make a wrong choice over.

Do you have access to "Consumer" magazine (maybe through your library)? They've done some good articles and tests of various models.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

cats16
Valinor

Oct 22, 10:44pm

Post #16 of 58 (288 views)
Shortcut
Have fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone I know who has gone to Venice - or anywhere in Italy, really - has had a fabulous time. Glad you were able to get away and enjoy yourselves!

We've got one more weekend (meaning this weekend) before we move out of our apartment. So it's a bit of a "calm before the storm" feeling. We visited the new place a couple of days ago (without the landlord present), which was a nice moment to be able to really visualize it as our place - without the immediate stress of having X couch to find a spot for or Y recliner. Out of curiosity, I counted the number of books I've now got in my room...I believe the final number was 183, depending on whether you'd like to count each volume of LOTR as its own 'book' for the sake of putting things into boxes. I'd love to be a "he had 10,000 books in the house when he passed" type of person, so I guess I'm 10% of the way there! Angelic

About a week ago I found out my dad got poison ivy. So he's hit the trifecta of random one-off health issues for 2021: shingles, Covid and poison ivy! Thankfully none resulted in anything other than basic primary care doctor mediation, so we feel fortunate. But oof, the guy can't catch a break!

Tonight we'll be checking out the newest episode of GBBO, which will be a bit less exciting after my personal favorite was eliminated last week (even though her baking style clearly wasn't going to get her very far on the show).

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 22, 10:46pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 22, 10:58pm

Post #17 of 58 (283 views)
Shortcut
Yay for long weekends! [In reply to] Can't Post

That garden is going to be amazing once you get done with it - if one ever really gets 'done' with a garden. Good luck convincing the other neighbor to go for the fence.

Regarding the electric bike, have you tried googling 'best electric bikes' and/or 'best electric bikes for women' etc? You should get lots of articles to read, most of which will have lists that include things like 'best bike on a budget,' 'best bike for long rides on coastal walkways,' etc. That strategy works well for me. In fact, reading through some very dry articles on sump pumps (ha, dry articles on sump water pumps - get it? Right, moving on), saved me when I realized the supervisor was describing work that was different from the plans they had given me based on how that sort of drainage system should work. I didn't even know I knew those details. lol, but it saved them from drilling a very ugly hole in the front of our house instead of on the side.

In any case, good luck with it! Sounds like a lot of fun which will be well worth it. Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 22, 11:03pm

Post #18 of 58 (279 views)
Shortcut
*clinks glass of prosecco* Congrats on the book and hand progress! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Well done on both counts. It sounds like all that diligent exercise and therapy has really paid off, as well as being able to get back to typing. Have fun with the final tweaks and the launch!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 22, 11:08pm

Post #19 of 58 (282 views)
Shortcut
Oh! The move is upon you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the book ownership ambitions. LaughLaugh

Yikes! Your dad really has been through the wars as my Kiwi better-half would say. Good that he came out of it none too much the worse. Enjoy watching your shows while you're packing, and good luck with it!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 11:20pm

Post #20 of 58 (280 views)
Shortcut
Yep, Consumer has a great in-depth article on bike options [In reply to] Can't Post

and what the various bits of e-bikes can do. I'm at the point where I'm in information overload and want to forget that I ever had this idea! Crazy Laugh

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 11:20pm

Post #21 of 58 (277 views)
Shortcut
LOL, two is good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything to keep me going! Laugh

Oh, Venice sounds so delightfully old-worldly, like it's never succumbed to modernization! With no cars, the air must be much cleaner than in a modern city. Any idea how deep the canals tend to be?

This weekend I intend to spend a proper amount of time putting my feet up and relaxing and...well, reading!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 11:21pm

Post #22 of 58 (277 views)
Shortcut
Congrats x 2! [In reply to] Can't Post

For both the physio progress and the book! Definitely time to tuck into a celebratory scone fresh from the oven. Smile

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 11:26pm

Post #23 of 58 (276 views)
Shortcut
It is! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's something energizing about groups of kids happily poring over stacks of books. What's amazing to me is the increase in graphic novels. And old standards, such as the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne, are being reincarnated in that form. Reluctant readers love them, so I'm snatching them up. They remind me so much of the the Classics Illustrated comics I loved as a kid.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 11:29pm

Post #24 of 58 (275 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, a pumpkin trail! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like such fun, your dazzle display! How large a pumpkin are you using?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22, 11:55pm

Post #25 of 58 (271 views)
Shortcut
Ouch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not one of those reverse mortgages! Shocked I earnestly hope that ended in your favor!

Oh dear, I was reading your article and nearly spit out my tea when I came to "...But if all the images of the Hero that we see are tall, blond, blue-eyed white menópossibly all named Chris..."! (I still can't get their surnames straight.) Pleasantly insightful, by the way!

So is Charlie still getting along well with his new huge furball friends?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.