Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Movie Style! Chapter VII: Queer Lodgings

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 16 2008, 3:56am

Views: 244
Shortcut
Movie Style! Chapter VII: Queer Lodgings Can't Post

I had this idea of the Movie Style! discussion for each chapter of the book. The purpose if the series would be to discuss how a particular chapter could be translated into film, what are its problems, what are its trengths, what should be cut, and what should be lengthened. Great, and I know... why am I starting with Chapter VII?

Well, actually, I had this idea while reading that chapter. It just struck me as too long, and not quite helpful to move the story along.

In this chapter, we meet Beorn, a man that could be helpful to introduce us to the spooky idea of Mirkwood, and then as one of the (many and potentially confusing) support warriors that arrive to the Battle of the Five Armies.

He is expendable, though. I am not saying I want him to be, and Guillermo seems to want to keep him, but how could this long chapter be treated.

In Chapter 7, Bilbo wakes in the eagles' nests, everyone is flown to the Carrock, they look for Beorn, walk through his flower plain (huge bumblebees included), take a long time to get introduced, they make a recount of everything that had happened so far in the story, they stay several days in Beorn's house without anything really interesting happening, and they travel to the gates of Mirkwood. (In a nutshell)

What I suggest, or what I think will happen. Thee scene will be shortened. They will not take so long to introduce themselves, perhaps getting everyone in one single group, rather than by pairs. They should not sleep at Beorn's longer than a night. Perhaps they arrive, eat something, sleep and leave at sunrise of the following day. We eliminate the need of Beorn going to check if Gandalf's story was true, for example.

Oh! And the waiting animals! Most of you know my stance towards the anthropomorphization of animals in The Hobbit. The image of ponies serving breakfast to the dwarves is not a great one. What could be done in this case?

If the scene is short as I suggest we could only see one short meal on screen, served by Beorn himself, thus eliminating the need for his animals to do so.

In short, I believe this chapter is too long and could be cut altogether, however, in the best interest of Beorn, it should be considerably shortened.

I would still want to see the flower fields kept for the production of honey, though.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Subject User Time
Movie Style! Chapter VII: Queer Lodgings Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty May 16 2008, 3:56am
    A post from a while back ... Elven Send a private message to Elven May 16 2008, 4:19am
        I think you are onto something… What if… Fatty Lumpkin Send a private message to Fatty Lumpkin May 16 2008, 3:00pm
            Heretic Empedocles Send a private message to Empedocles May 16 2008, 3:26pm
                I understand what you mean .. Elven Send a private message to Elven May 16 2008, 4:52pm
        Not bad for a start. Now make it funny. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand May 19 2008, 3:54am
    Why does Tolkien write the introductions this way? N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand May 19 2008, 3:55am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.