The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to a Lava-ly Fiesta Friday!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 15, 4:16pm

Post #1 of 19 (441 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to a Lava-ly Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Hello and welcome to this week's Fiesta celebration!

Today's Fiesta of lava is inspired by a musical short film of the same name that played in theaters prior to the movie Inside Out. I fell in lava with it (haha) and we watch it from time to time including last night (thus it being on my mind). But more on that later.

How are you all doing this fine Friday? It was a busy week as usual around here doing yet another quick project for another client - yes, I too thought I was supposed to be retired! Lol. We finally had real sweater weather here this week, with the nights getting into actual coat weather! Love Fall!

So tell us about your week, and your plans for the weekend! Don't forget to load up your plate at the buffet and order up your favorite drinkie too!

Now, for some Lava! According to Wikipedia: Lava is a 2014 American a computer-animated musical short film by Pixar, directed and written by James Ford Murphy. It's a love story that takes place over millions of years.[It'is set to a song (also called "Lava") written by Murphy,[ and was inspired by the "isolated beauty of tropical islands and the explosive allure of ocean volcanoes.

As I said, I love to watch it from time to time and it almost always brings a tear (or two) to my eyes, but then I pretty much cry at anything sappy (don't even get me started about the ending of the movie The King and I, lol). So, you've been warned!

*kicks juke box* Lava starts to play

(by the way, the 'real' official film is fully animated, e.g., the volcanoes' mouths are moving, the fish are swimming, but you have to have the Disney channel to see that one (which we do). Still, enjoyable even on YouTube.

I hope you all have wonderful, enjoyable weekends! HeartLaughHeart

Also, here's a bonus video about what happens when real lave meets water!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 15, 4:45pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15, 4:28pm

Post #2 of 19 (410 views)
Shortcut
Hot stuff! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen "Lava" before - now that I've finally succumbed to subscribing to the Disney channel (dang you, WandaVision and Loki! Laugh), I shall have to take a look!

*gets mug of coffee and slice of pizza* Thank you! I've been thinking that this weekend is perfect for driving out to the local little castle and wandering my favorite paths there. I love the smell of autumn leaves.

*watches some of the lava/water video* Yikes, those poor houses are too close...!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 15, 4:37pm

Post #3 of 19 (407 views)
Shortcut
*snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

It was The Mandalorian that assimilated us, but we find lots to enjoy besides that.

Ohhh, a castle? Is it one that was imported or one built from scratch? Either way, walking around its grounds sounds lovely. Enjoy!! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 15, 6:35pm

Post #4 of 19 (407 views)
Shortcut
*wipes tears* I lava'd this :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez... that's a wonderful video. Lots of emotions stirred up there :)

Aren't these soft fall temps and colours so glorious!? They're so fleeting that it's such a gift to be able to get out and enjoy them before winter sets in. I think I'll grab a warm apple cider and just enjoy sitting on the porch for a spell. The Michigan skies out my front door have been very busy and putting on a great show! This is last night!

Just getting ready for the colder weather here in Michigan. Made a new storm window for my front room picture window, the doors, strawberry bed, stuff like that. Always something to do :)

I hope you have a perfect weekend and can get some lovely walks in. Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira. And I wish everyone a great weekend and week!!! *huggles*

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 15, 6:36pm

Post #5 of 19 (403 views)
Shortcut
Have a great wander :D [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to drink in these great Fall days as much as we can before layering up on more sweaters and coats ;) I hope you have a great weekend, m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 15, 6:46pm

Post #6 of 19 (405 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful sunset! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that really is quite a show. Definitely worth sitting on the porch and looking at.

Here's to getting in a bit of r & r while you finish your autumn to-do list. Do you rake your leaves or let the wind take care of it (we mostly rely on the wind).

Happy weekend to you too, gramma! Smile

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 15, 7:05pm

Post #7 of 19 (405 views)
Shortcut
Hah, good title! Lava is on my mind rather - [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been watching footage of the eruption on la Palma in the Canary Islands. Awe-inspiring,remarkable, inexorable, terrifying but beautiful in a way to see the raw power of nature sweeping all before it. (I doubt I'd feel like that if it was MY house it was engulfing! It's pretty catastrophic for the islanders.)
I think tonight will be the chilliest yet of this autumn - not down to freezing round here, but into single figures (Celsius!) - I hope my pelargoniums and nasturtiums won't bite the dust just yet.
Have a good weekend, all - cheers!

cats16
Valinor

Oct 15, 9:52pm

Post #8 of 19 (400 views)
Shortcut
Lava is in the air [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that Pixar does shorts ahead of their features.

Heading into an uneventful weekend here, which is fine by me since we'll be moving into our new apartment over the following two weekends. Here comes the hectic busyness of moving! I shudder to think of how many boxes we'll need just to get all of my books out of here. The place isn't my favorite, but I think we'll be able to make home out of it (and it's certainly better than nothing!). Given that and the chaos of the world, I feel fortunate to have a place.

Tonight's agenda is some take-out and The Great British Bake Off. Might have to find some dessert before watching - it's torture to watch them bake goodies without having something to indulge in yourself!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Annael
Immortal

Oct 16, 12:58am

Post #9 of 19 (398 views)
Shortcut
ooh, are there lava cakes? [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend made us some once. They ooze out chocolate goo when you cut into them.

A bit late as I went for a long walk on a trail a ways east of us, built on a former railway bed. It goes for 31 miles but we only went 5. Lovely fall colors. My friend insisted on bringing her insane little dog who went ballistic whenever other people and especially other dogs passed us, but fortunately there weren't a lot of folks out. He's a rescue, he has issues . . . and tiring him out with a long walk ensured a peaceful drive home where we went down back roads and saw a lot more color. I have to say this fall has been spectacular here and judging by the pictures friends have posted, most other places as well. We had a very late lunch and then I had a lovely nap.

The house closed two days ago. The new people were over there when I drove past this afternoon.

No plans for the weekend other than starting to work on the timeline for my War of 1812 novel. I have been trying for some time to find the names of the British officers who were billeted in my ancestors' home and have partially succeeded: a Lt. Henry Bishop carved his name in one of the fireplace mantels, and for a while there was a painting of the HBM Spencer, a 74-gun ship of the line, that hung on the wall and was done by another officer, one R.M. I've contacted my distant cousin who owns the house to see if he knows anything about this painting. The Spencer was tied up to my great-great-great-great-grandfather's wharf when the town was occupied.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16, 1:31pm

Post #10 of 19 (358 views)
Shortcut
Virtual lava cakes are perfect for this Fiesta! [In reply to] Can't Post

And no calories! Laugh

Walking/biking trails have been the best thing to do with old rail beds: they're easier on the legs and ankles than many hiking trails.

Congratulations on the end to all that work you put into maintaining the house and getting it ready. But it must feel strange! Any feedback from the new owners yet? Every now and then I think about the family that moved into my parents' house (which they'd built in the mid-60's from my Mom's plans), and how excited their daughter was to have a piano in her bedroom (and I was grateful to not have to get rid of it!).

How are the British military records for that time period? Have you been able to find any published diaries from then?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16, 1:35pm

Post #11 of 19 (359 views)
Shortcut
You did it! [In reply to] Can't Post

You got the apartment! Is it very far from the current one? Does it have all the amenities (air conditioning, decent 'fridge and stove and bathroom, etc.)?

Remember to not pack too many books per box! Shocked

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16, 1:49pm

Post #12 of 19 (359 views)
Shortcut
TIme to get out the jumpers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, now that would be a project - knitting cozies for plants! Laugh Has the knitting group used up that pile of yarn you'd "inherited" a while ago, yet? What's their latest project?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16, 2:33pm

Post #13 of 19 (357 views)
Shortcut
Windy days are my friend :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16, 3:19pm

Post #14 of 19 (354 views)
Shortcut
That first hard frost [In reply to] Can't Post

So sad when it finally hits. Though if it turns everything into shiny crystal, that's really cool :D I hope your flowers make it!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16, 3:22pm

Post #15 of 19 (354 views)
Shortcut
Rice Crispie Treats! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are always a great fall-back if you don't have something more indulgent around ;) Congrats on finding an apartment! This moving stuff is the worse part. Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16, 3:42pm

Post #16 of 19 (352 views)
Shortcut
That history is so cool!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so karmic that after all that happened so long ago, you'd be a part of that history by being the one to immortalize it with your work. I wish you all the best and a successful hunt for information, stories, and maybe even some pictures! This is so huge!

I'm glad you got a beautiful walk in. It was nice that the pooch got to get some socializing experience *kaff* in, but maybe another walk that's less dramatic would be a great way to round out the season ;)

I'm so glad the house is done and is welcoming it's new guardians... family. It's a strange transition to go through, but knowing the house will live on is so great. My Mom & Dad's house was bought by people who pledged to maintain it, and within 6 months it was disassembled. I can't drive past it.

Have a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 16, 4:45pm

Post #17 of 19 (350 views)
Shortcut
Well, we do have a stock of nice cosy tree wraps [In reply to] Can't Post

that are used now and again! They last surprisingly well, actually. Some of them have been going since winter 2014. Our next thing to do is putting up the poppies - wreaths, garlands and tree wraps - for Remembrance Day. They'll go up at the beginning of November and stay up until a week or so after 11th. Then at the beginning of December it's time for the festive decorations to go up - pom-poms are much in evidence for that! They look like little fuzzy baubles dancing in the breeze and everyone likes them. We have a sales stall at an event on 6th December; the proceeds from that will be given to the local Foodbank which, sadly, will be much in demand this winter. We still have a yarn stash from donations but it's manageable, fortunately, and someone else is looking after it so I'm off the hook on that one! Yay!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 16, 4:50pm

Post #18 of 19 (347 views)
Shortcut
The way things are going around here [In reply to] Can't Post

it will be interesting to see if we even have a hard frost! I think last winter there were only a few. The way fuel prices are going it will be a mercy if it's a mild winter, although I do love the crispness of it and the beauty of frosted leaves and twigs - provided it doesn't last too long! As we're on a small peninsula with water on three sides, the weather has to be really harsh to put us below freezing. We shall see!

cats16
Valinor

Oct 16, 5:59pm

Post #19 of 19 (342 views)
Shortcut
About two blocks away LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I really can't complain about how far we've got to move our stuff. It'll take longer loading/unloading everything than transporting it.

There's a wall A/C unit in the living room, so at least we've got that when needed. And a nice kitchen, too. Only drawback is that laundry is in the back of the building...I'd gotten used to having it in-unit! On the plus side, last night we tried a new Sichuan restaurant that's a couple of blocks away from our current (and new) apartment. So that's something to look forward to now that we know we're staying in the neighborhood!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.