The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
October: what are you watching?

cats16
Valinor

Oct 2, 7:52pm

Post #1 of 6 (271 views)
Shortcut
October: what are you watching? Can't Post

Greetings, spooky movie fans - your time of the year has come!

For my part, I'll be mostly staying away from horror. Here are a couple of highlights from my past month:

Little Murders (Criterion Channel): A semi-forgotten indie from the 70's starring Elliott Gould and directed by Alan Arkin. You can often tell it's adapted from a play, but I didn't find it too irritating here. The material crackles with satire about the modern world and its abundance of violence. This movie takes things a bit too far (intentionally so) in its imagining of what that environment of violence, neglect and corruption has on the psyche of ordinary people like you and me. I could watch Elliott Gould brush his teeth and feel entertained - he's just so captivating.

After Hours (Criterion Channel): Scorsese's (also subversive) look at violence and alienation, which is more laugh out loud funny than Little Murders. There are some great performances here that carry what would otherwise be a movie that makes its audience say "I've had enough!" halfway through.

Thief (Criterion Channel): The first feature directed by Michael Mann (The Insider, Heat), starring a riveting James Caan. Highly recommend this one. A bit of a slow burn thriller, but so well plotted and shot that you're hooked for the entire ride.

The Great British Baking Show (spoilers below!): After two episodes, I can say that this will be a really fun season! I have a soft spot for Maggie, who is the sweetest person ever. But I also adore Jurgen and Giuseppe, who are such gentlemen.

So, what have you been watching lately?

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Annael
Immortal

Oct 2, 11:23pm

Post #2 of 6 (246 views)
Shortcut
loving the new season of GBBO [In reply to] Can't Post

Matt Lucas seems to be a unifying force, getting Paul & Prue to join in the fun even more. I love this new crop of bakers.

We're riveted by Jeopardy these days. Will Matt Amodio break Ken Jennings's record? Mayim Bialik is doing an excellent job of hosting, we think.

NCIS - Season 19 is starting out very promisingly. Clearly they are preparing us for a significant reboot, in a way that's working for me. I was worried that I'd be waiting for Gary Cole to demand TPS reports, but there's not a hint of Lumberg in his character.

Enjoying the "What If?" animated series from Marvel on Disney Plus.

I intend to start watching "Ted Lasso" but so far haven't found the time.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 2, 11:49pm

Post #3 of 6 (245 views)
Shortcut
Still on a mystery kick [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally caught up on Murdoch Mysteries. I love getting a glimpse of places I know in Toronto but from a century ago. The historical figures they weave into the story have me Googling (or Wikipediaing, if that's a thing) to find out more. They've done live and streaming events with clues and puzzles to solve. It's a lot of fun!

Whitstable Pearl is a new British mystery series that I hope continues. I'm looking forward to learning more about the the two main characters. And I hope they put out a full version of the theme song. Right now it's just the theme heard at the beginning of the show.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Oct 5, 6:08pm

Post #4 of 6 (219 views)
Shortcut
Grantchester Season 6 and Chapelwaite [In reply to] Can't Post

As the season begins, the Grantchester gang goes on vacation to a run down beach resort where Will and Geordie get involved in a murder investigation (of course). However, the big news is that it looks like poor Leonard is going to be outed after an act of kindness - in a time where being gay might not only get him stripped of his curacy, but thrown in jail. This is presumably going to be a major storyline this season, and I'm sure there will be alot of dramatic and touching scenes in which his loved ones and friends decide to what extent they're going to stand by him. After following Leonard's struggles all these seasons, I really hope he's going to be okay. He so deserves it.

Then there's Chapelwaite. After suffering a tragedy, Captain Charles Boone moves his family into Chapelwaite, a stately home he's inherited from his cousin, during the great heyday of whaling. However, something's very wrong with the townsfolk of Preacher's Corner, Maine, who are falling ill and dying. There's also strange noises in the walls of the home. After some shocking encounters, Boone travels to the deserted neighboring town for answers.

Oh, yeah. It's name? Salem's Lot..

Since any Stephen King fan knows what Ben and Mark were dealing with in the 1970's, we can safely guess that this isn't going to end well.

I'm loving it so far. King's alternate Maine is one of the great fictional horror locations, and to me Jerusalem's Lot is even more evocative than Castle Rock or Derry, the other two towns forming his primary triad. It certainly has that Salem's Lot atmosphere. The finale should air just around Halloween, which will be perfect.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 23, 3:51am

Post #5 of 6 (165 views)
Shortcut
WWDitS and OMitB [In reply to] Can't Post

What We Do in the Shadows, hilarious; and Only Murders in the Building, also hilarious Martin Short’s best work since SCTV, great cast all around.

Still waiting for Ghost in the Shell…2045 season 2, and Last Kingdom season 5.

Oh, and The Green Knight (saw it on BD) is brilliant!

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Oct 29, 10:29pm

Post #6 of 6 (138 views)
Shortcut
my daughter, the film critic, and one of her professional groups [In reply to] Can't Post

recommend The Green Knight, though some note that knowing the story first helps appreciation.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.