Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Friday Fiesta fun time! Come on in and join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 2, 10:48am

Post #26 of 44 (227 views)
Shortcut
I've only ever had one go in a canoe [In reply to] Can't Post

and I didn't like it! I can swim, but am not very confident in water and it was just too wobbly. Anything smaller than the Mersey Ferry makes me nervous. Not much leaf colour round here yet - some leaves are turning a bit and falling, but we haven't had the cold nights that usually bring on the brightness, in this area at least.

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 2, 10:59am

Post #27 of 44 (228 views)
Shortcut
Those shows sound great - [In reply to] Can't Post

I like watching anything about restoring, rescuing, putting back together buildings or old neglected things (well, maybe not cars ~meh~) There used to be a similar sort of show called 'My Dream Derelict Home' (a bit like the shows you mention) where someone would take on a dilapidated pile of stones/cowshed etc in a field and make it into a comfortable home - with a huge amount of money and effort of course, and the occasional wall collapse! BBC's 'The Repair Shop' deals with smaller items that are special to people but have been sadly neglected or deteriorated due to age. A shedful of people with a wide range of skills work miracles to bring things back to their former glory, to the tearful delight of the owners. Feelgood tv!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2, 11:06pm

Post #28 of 44 (210 views)
Shortcut
You've been a busy bee, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like your "critters" are healthy again! (Got the brake job for Hobbity lined up?)

Is the garage all set for winter?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2, 11:13pm

Post #29 of 44 (210 views)
Shortcut
Cloudy Autumn? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's typical for here, but not your area! I hope none of it's caused by smoke from the fires - have those been mostly contained?

Crossing fingers that a few more rentals come along for you all to choose from!

Enjoy the hike, whenever you go! I do like it when the weather gets down into the crisp 40's and 50's at night. (Does it get that cold for you in winter?)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 3, 2:41am

Post #30 of 44 (209 views)
Shortcut
So far, [In reply to] Can't Post

50 wheelbarrow-loads over three days. I've still got roughly a quarter of the pile to go but it can wait a few days before I attack it again: I'm exhausted and sore.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

cats16
Valinor

Oct 3, 5:01am

Post #31 of 44 (201 views)
Shortcut
I think so [In reply to] Can't Post

About 10 or so days ago we had an afternoon of smoky skies from fires a couple of hundred miles away. But I don't think they were *huge*. And I believe they've been able to start to wrangle one of the largest fires upstate, too.

Thanks! Just counting on my girlfriend to remember to bring her hiking boots tonight. Angelic I do recall seeing high 40's very briefly here, maybe a year or two ago? It was probably around February/March. Quite freezing to us! I actually just booked a trip home (the flight there is only $49!) to the Midwest for two months from tomorrow (Sunday) - hopefully I can steal a day or two of the last gasp of fall there before winter pummels the place.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 3, 5:02am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 3, 12:47pm

Post #32 of 44 (185 views)
Shortcut
Hiking boots are a must! [In reply to] Can't Post

One can risk a turned ankle if wearing just sneakers on a woods walk.

How in the world did you manage a flight for that cheap! You'll be having a post-Thanksgiving visit with the family?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 3, 1:58pm

Post #33 of 44 (185 views)
Shortcut
Good Job! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is A LOT!!! Especially if your bones and muscles aren't used to that specific effort. Very smart to take a break even though I'm sure the pile is calling you ;) *high five* 50 loads so far! AWESOME!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 3, 2:02pm

Post #34 of 44 (184 views)
Shortcut
No progress :( [In reply to] Can't Post

The garage will be at least started in the next couple of days, and hobbity's brakes are done. I've GOT to get to Charlevoix this week. The water and stones are calling me... and my brain and heart have been hooked!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 3, 2:16pm

Post #35 of 44 (186 views)
Shortcut
Getting out and getting out [In reply to] Can't Post

Apartment searching is one of the nastiest things to do, imho. I hope one of them comes through fast so you can "move" forward on that. And getting out for your walk will be such a great release of some of that stress. I hope the weather holds up for you and you have a great weekend! Cheers!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

Oct 3, 7:15pm

Post #36 of 44 (174 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have made that mistake too many times, thinking "oh it's just an easy hike, I can manage."

I'm not sure, re: the flight! It was around midnight when I was looking, so I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't misreading anything. Even before Covid, I found it tough to make it back for Thanksgiving. I haven't decided if I'll stay through the holidays or sneak back home before the Christmas travel rush begins, but it should be a relaxing couple of weeks, regardless!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Oct 3, 7:18pm

Post #37 of 44 (174 views)
Shortcut
*crosses fingers* [In reply to] Can't Post

We've finally got all of our materials submitted for the one place, so hopefully we hear back soon either way. But I agree about how nasty the apartment hunt process is. I think it's actually worse than looking for a job. At least while job hunting you can try to improve your resume or interview skills - it's just all luck and timing when looking for a new place to live!

Hope you're able to relax a bit too this weekend amid all of your projects, gramma!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 3, 7:41pm

Post #38 of 44 (171 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

We're going to start watching the Vigil series tonight.

Glad the trees are gone and you're making progress on the wood chips. A sunnier yard and a ton of mulch to dress it up with - what's not to love! Take care of the knees, back, and other bits and have a great week!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 3, 7:47pm

Post #39 of 44 (172 views)
Shortcut
I hope you're feeling better [In reply to] Can't Post

Tummy bugs are the worst. Unsure But, yes, that show sounds great! Maybe you can record it from now on so you can keep watching it. I love shows like that too. There are a ton of You-tubers who do that kind of thing too. I like to watch them once in a while 1) because it's mentally relaxing to me to see people doing creative things and, 2) because I love to see what they come up with!

May your new week start with no tummy issues! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 3, 7:51pm

Post #40 of 44 (171 views)
Shortcut
Cider and donuts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmmmm! Sounds yummy and perfect for the season.

You've been busy, as usual, gramma! Isn't it invigorating to work outside during nice weather? It really keeps the energy going - which you're 'Exhibit A' to, lol. I hope you're getting some R&R in this weekend. Keep enjoying that beautiful Fall weather!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 3, 7:56pm

Post #41 of 44 (170 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with the apartment hunt! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that you've at least made progress already. May one of them come through early so you can leave that stress behind and move on to the packing stress, lol. Crazy Hope you got your hike in!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 4, 12:58pm

Post #42 of 44 (147 views)
Shortcut
Alright so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

though my appetite isn't quite back to normal. Actually that's probably a good thing, I should make the most of it! Those shows (and many others) are available on the catch-up services so I don't need to record, which is great. Creativity, giving things a new life, is always good to watch.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 4, 6:57pm

Post #43 of 44 (136 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it's good to look at the bright side and maybe see a few less pounds/kilos on the scale! Glad you're feeling better. Smile

cats16
Valinor

Oct 6, 5:50am

Post #44 of 44 (108 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny you mention it: we were just talking about the stress of packing tonight! I said that we'll need a dozen or so boxes for all of my books. Angelic It sounds like a lease to sign will be in our inbox within the next day or so, if I had to guess.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.