Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Friday Fiesta fun time! Come on in and join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 1, 4:10pm

Post #1 of 44 (254 views)
Shortcut
Friday Fiesta fun time! Come on in and join us! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone! Welcome to this week's Fiesta Friday!

Well, our window well drainage saga continues. Sigh. The drainage crew left around 6:00 p.m. Tuesday and about the same time the next day we had a bit of rain, and our basement had water in it! It turns out the crew didn't seal one of the joints of the pipe coming from the sump pump so when water started going through it, it came completely apart. CrazyMad I had accidentally gotten the number of a non-drainage supervisor and he was the only live person I could get hold of at that time of night. Luckily, he kindly offered to come over and seal the joint that night. Today a drainage supervisor is coming over to inspect it. Sadly now, however, we're more worried about water than we were before because it used to take a deluge before it flooded, this time it was a light but long shower.

Moving on, how did your week go? What are your plans for the weekend? Order up your favorite drinkie, have a pass at the fully-stocked buffet, and let us know!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us one of your all-time favs!

Have an amazing weekend, everyone!! SmileHeartCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 4:46pm

Post #2 of 44 (210 views)
Shortcut
It never rains but it pours... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Well, hopefully that will be the last of that problem, once the supervisor gives his seal of approval for the seal! But, sheesh, shoddy workmanship!

*takes wedge of broccoli quiche* Could I have a mocha cappuccino, please, Altaira? No sign of the hummingbirds for a week now, so the feeder will be scrubbed and put away for the winter. There's a lot more colors in the trees this week, including some vibrant reds, so this will be a good weekend for a walk in the woods!

*puts quarter in juke box* Here's an oldie to celebrate the change of seasons, Chad & Jeremy's "Summer Song": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_SCJARswM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 1, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 44 (208 views)
Shortcut
Haha! Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Your post prompted me to google 'hummingbird migration.' What amazing little creatures they are, considering most of them migrate to Mexico and/or Central America:

During migration, a hummingbird's heart beats up to 1,260 times a minute, and its wings flap 15 to 80 times a second. To support this high energy level, a hummingbird will typically gain 25-40% of their body weight before they start migration in order to make the long trek over land, and water.

They fly alone, often on the same path they have flown earlier in their life, and fly low, just above tree tops or water. Young hummingbirds must navigate without parental guidance, or previous flight experience.

Hummingbirds fly by day when nectar sources such as flowers are more abundant. Flying low allows the birds to see, and stop at, food supplies along the way. They are also experts at using tail winds to help reach their destination faster and by consuming less energy and body fat.

Research indicates a hummingbird normally can travel as many as 23 miles in one day. At that rate it can take several weeks to reach their wintering grounds from summer breeding grounds in the northern U.S. or southern Canada. But in certain circumstances, like the journey over the Gulf of Mexico, they can fly for more extended lengths of time, like 22 hours, nonstop!

That extra time with your feeder out really helped!

Running errands yesterday I noticed that there are more colors here too! Enjoy the fall colors and I hope you get to go out in those woods! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Annael
Immortal

Oct 1, 6:43pm

Post #4 of 44 (206 views)
Shortcut
Moving on! [In reply to] Can't Post

This week I had the guy from the furniture consignment shop come look at what we have left in the house. He took almost all of it! There's just a few pieces left for the guy from the cheap used furniture store. Hopefully he will take all that's left, but if not, I have a guy-with-a-truck tentatively scheduled to haul what's left to the dump. Last Monday my sibling & I rented a box truck, watched while hired strongmen loaded almost all my worldly goods in it, drove 90 minutes north, and watched the strongmen unload everything into a storage unit. Then drove the truck all the way back. Ran into heavy rain at times, fortunately NOT while loading/unloading, but the rain did seep under the back door of the truck and got some boxes wet. Most were only mildly damp and easily dried out but one box of books got pretty soaked. Fortunately the only damaged books were ones by an author I pretty much had to read for grad school but never much liked! Still, I can relate to your water-seeping woes, Altaira, if on a milder scale.

It was lessons learned for my sibling, who will be driving a similar truck with our sister to San Diego next week to deliver all the furniture that her son has asked for out of the house. It's a generous impulse but they're both pretty daunted right now at what they signed up for. I suggested that they try to find a smaller truck to handle the load, which will be easier to drive and less gas-costly. Looking at how much went into the 10x10 box truck we rented, I can see that the furniture would only take up half that space. So I hope that can happen.

I am off next week on another much-needed vacation back to Sleeping Lady, my favorite unwinding spot. Alas ALL the restaurants in the resort will be closed two of the days I'm there, but there are many good ones in the nearby town of Leavenworth. Should be gorgeous going over the pass with the fall colors starting to happen. It's been rainy all this week but supposed to be sunny next week which is also nice. I have a Reiki session scheduled at the spa.

And the house sale closes next Friday!

It's chilly, so a hot chocolate with a good dash of Bailey's please barkeep!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 1, 6:44pm)

Ginger
Rohan

Oct 1, 7:03pm

Post #5 of 44 (202 views)
Shortcut
Running in to grab a hard lemonade and leaving a tip and a work tale [In reply to] Can't Post

I work in a community college library. Today I am wearing my tor.n tshirt, Ten Signs You Are a Tolkien Fan (from 2002!) I just had a student using a study room and her name is Lorien. Yes, from LOTR.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 1, 7:38pm

Post #6 of 44 (196 views)
Shortcut
Perfect time of year for a getaway! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, the colors of the tress should be amazing, and the resort looks amazing too.

How good it must feel to get all your furniture situated, and what serendipity that the damaged books weren't 'disposable' ones. Everything in the particular corner of our basement that's been a problem is stored in plastic tubs having learned that lesson the hard way.

I remember it seemed surreal after our house sale closed. Our real estate agent gave us a bottle of bubbly to celebrate and I remember us relaxing at our house enjoying it and looking at each other like: now what? Lol. It had been such a whirlwind of activity we all felt like we should be running to Home Depot or on the phone scheduling contractors. May the peace sink in fast after the close (the time off this week will surely help).

*places thermos of hot chocolate and a bottle of Bailey's on the bar* Enjoy!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 1, 7:41pm

Post #7 of 44 (195 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, Ginger! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great story! I love that someone used Lorien as a name. It makes such a nice one. I haven't worn it for a while, but I have one of the TORn shirts that says 'Don't make me get my Ring!' on the back. It makes me smile to hear snickers coming from people behind me when I walk by.

Enjoy your weekend!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 9:04pm

Post #8 of 44 (197 views)
Shortcut
I've delayed getting up this morning [In reply to] Can't Post

because I've got a big job to do and I don't want to do it.

The three big trees at the front of my property are finally down (yay!) and I now have a large pile of woodchip to move onto my garden (sigh). I'll be limiting myself to no more than 20 wheelbarrow loads a day as my leg/hip is more sore than usual and I don't want to overdo it. I estimate it'll take three days to shift the entire load. BUT my garden will look fab and be ready for spring/summer when the job's done. :)

I plan a long soak in the bath this afternoon.

BTW if anyone's looking for an engaging short TV series, give Vigil (from the UK) a go. I ended up bingeing it last night after seeing the first ep on TV - five straight hours of watching and it was worth it. Basically a mix of cop drama and international intrigue, the story is of a murder on a UK nuclear submarine and the investigations - on the sub and back in Scotland - that follow. Excellent writing and plotting, and some great character arcs. (One actor bugged me because he was so familiar but I couldn't place him; turns out, he played Podrick in Game of Thrones - and this is a very different character for him.)

Have a great weekend everyone! I hope the weather in your part of the world treats you kindly. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 9:08pm

Post #9 of 44 (191 views)
Shortcut
*squeee* [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, old habits. Tongue

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 9:14pm

Post #10 of 44 (192 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of migrations, I've been following the battling godwits [In reply to] Can't Post

on their flights from Alaska to NZ - including one that travelled a few thousand kilometres before turning back due to hitting a bad weather system.

https://twitter.com/.../1442428136818241539

https://twitter.com/.../1443500384014639109

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 1, 9:15pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Oct 1, 9:16pm

Post #11 of 44 (192 views)
Shortcut
Our modern houses don't tend to have basements [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've thought, with such pressure on building land in England, they should be incorporated. Only if they can be kept dry, though! Of course that would add to the building costs. The aim seems to be to throw them up as cheaply as possibly with a few showy details; basements, not immediately adding to the kerbside appeal but adding to the cost, are not favoured. Older houses - Victorian and further back - sometimes have them. Some are like Shelob's lair, some are well used. I visited a house for a meeting once that had fine wooden window shutters that were hauled up on pulleys through a slot from the basement, then retracted out of sight when not needed. The same house had an open fire and the ash dropped through the bars into a big box in the basement. Rather draughty, but impressive! Hope your drainage problem is properly sorted soon, Altaira.
Annael, good news about the furniture. It's a long business but you seem to have the end in sight now. Phew!

I do like spotting LOTR names. I used to clean house for a woman who had a cocker spaniel named Pippin. His predecessor had been named Frodo. Back in the 70s I called my house (an uninspiring newbuild at the bottom of quite a picturesque hill in North Wales) Rivendell; my friend's house - similar, but in the Midlands, was called Lorien. We were such dreamers!
I've been off-colour this week with a gut upset; getting better now, but I have discovered a daytime tv show (I never normally watch daytime tv) that I like, called 'Find it, fix it, flog it'. Two chatty, chirpy characters (one of whom I've met, coincidentally) rummage in barns and sheds full of rubbish, haul out two things each, upcycle/transform them, and give the owners whatever profit they make. Some of their creations are a bit 'whaaat...?!' but others are inspired. I do like to see things being given a makeover and a new life.
Have a good weekend, folks - looks like ours is going to be a wet one! Well, it is October now... cheers!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 10:26pm

Post #12 of 44 (185 views)
Shortcut
The godwits are amazing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Such little blobs they are, and flying all that way non-stop! A godwit holds the record for the longest flight of any bird.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 11:14pm

Post #13 of 44 (183 views)
Shortcut
Reporting avian migration via Twitter? How appropriate! [In reply to] Can't Post

And what an astonishing path they travel - their endurance is amazing.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 11:23pm

Post #14 of 44 (183 views)
Shortcut
Yes, ours were slurping up the nectar [In reply to] Can't Post

We kept good track of when the feeder got low, and quickly mixed up more for them. Those beating wings are fascinating, what incredible stamina those tiny bodies have to travel the way they do!

The air is crisp and clean in the mornings now. I hope you can enjoy some outdoors activities too!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 11:38pm

Post #15 of 44 (181 views)
Shortcut
A week away! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a whirlwind it feels like it's been for you, but an organized one. Furniture all sorted, your own stuff safely tucked away (with only minor damage) to await a new residence, and closing in on the closing!

Yes, a well-deserved vacation is due you, and it will be gorgeous up there. Have you had Reiki before? It should help you get relaxed for the surgery. Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 11:48pm

Post #16 of 44 (182 views)
Shortcut
You rock, lady! [In reply to] Can't Post

A library is a perfect place for a t-shirt like that. Cool

Lorien! I haven't had any kids at our school with that name (yet). We did once have a Thorin, but I think his family just used Scandinavian names. There's a young Odin here now. Tongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1, 11:56pm

Post #17 of 44 (181 views)
Shortcut
They're gone! [In reply to] Can't Post

It must feel so empty in that space right now. Did they take the wood they could use, and chip the rest for you? That's a tedious bit of work, but yes, the end result will be well worth it.

Murder on a sub, now that's a bit different! It should be on BritBox later on, I'll look for it.

You enjoy the weekend, too, just take it as easy as you can! The weekend here will be a crisp autumnal delight. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2, 12:11am

Post #18 of 44 (181 views)
Shortcut
Keeping a basement dry [In reply to] Can't Post

can be challenging in some areas, and do make one wonder if they're worth it. We've got a sump pump, which runs continually when there's a heavy rain. We use that area for storage, and most items are on small tables, or in a canoe we haven't used in years (last time we took it out, hubby somehow managed to overturn it, I was not happy about getting soaked even in the shallow end of the pond).

That's fascinating about those shutters on pulleys!

Glad that you're bit of illness is subsiding. That sounds like a fun and distracting show!

Wet weather? In England? Who'd've thought! Laugh Yes, Autumn is settling in now. Have your leaves turned colour much?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2, 12:12am

Post #19 of 44 (181 views)
Shortcut
There's a lot more sunlight coming in, that's for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It must feel so empty in that space right now.

I've planted some grevilleas and bottlebrushes to grow into that space but I'll be interested to see how the other flowering and fruiting trees respond - especially the poor kowhai, which have been in almost perpetual shade. The copper sheens were glorious but too fragile for the winds we get from time to time.

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 2, 1:39am

Post #20 of 44 (190 views)
Shortcut
Oh Geez! Seriously!? [In reply to] Can't Post

The bugs aren't gone. The water's not gone; but the "specialists" ARE gone! I hope there wasn't too much damage done by the rain. I can't believe they forgot to seal a joint! How can you feel trust the system is adequate? And how many days have you been dinking around with this? I'm so sorry. I hope it's all "fixed right" with this last inspection.

*grabs a warm cider* T'is officially fall and October, so it's time for warm cider and donuts. I like 'em plain... either a fry cake or a sourdough are the best!

I got a lot done outside this week in some incredible weather. Cut down a couple of damaged cedar trees, got Lobelia fixed (lawnmower), fixed Sam (trailer) replacing the 2 sideboards I removed so Lobelia fits... and fixed one of his tail lights that was out, did a bunch of little busy jobs that have been calling to me all summer. All-in-all a good week :)

Thanks for the goodies and for taking care of us, Altaira. Good luck on your pipes! Have a great weekend everyone :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 2, 2:55am

Post #21 of 44 (175 views)
Shortcut
Squeeeee for next Friday and a vacation! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you're going back to your retreat to recharge your batteries! After wrangling furniture being picked up and your own things being moved to storage, you really need to escape and relax.

They'd be better to get a smaller truck for another reason. The tighter things are packed, the less likely there will be movement or tip-overs. I'm so glad yours was finally done, but doesn't it figure there would be water damage to... of all things... books! I'm glad they weren't treasures, but it was a close call.

WAHOO on the house sale closing next Friday!! Congratulations! And congrats on being so close to getting everything cleared away. It's been a long, long haul in more ways than one!

Have a great weekend! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 2, 3:34am

Post #22 of 44 (175 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping* Mods up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!! :D And so are YOU!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 2, 3:40am

Post #23 of 44 (175 views)
Shortcut
Very smart to be careful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those chips aren't going anywhere until they have to deal with you and your barrow... so no rush :) Getting the trees down is a big job on its own. Wow!
Sadly, I can't get that show; but I'm glad you found something that's a great distraction :)

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 2, 4:03am

Post #24 of 44 (176 views)
Shortcut
I hope you're feeling better :} [In reply to] Can't Post

I love seeing Tolkien-related things, too. License plates here and there, and one house in town had a long sign on their fence of Tolkien's "worm" dragon. It's gone now *sigh* I call my home the Old Bag's End ;)

I love shows that revive things and homes, too! There's a show here called Barnwood Builders about a business with a group of men who find, buy, tear down and rebuild log cabins or barns. Most of the structures are well-over 100 years old and falling apart in some field in remote places. They're wonderful! The deconstructed buildings most often are sold to individuals and converted into homes.
Another one is Restoring Galveston (Texas). A young couple loves buying abandoned homes that are literally falling down from age and neglect, fix them up and sell them (called flipping). Most of their homes are 80 yo or older, so they love honouring the heritage and style of the original home.

The hosts for these shows are characters and fun to watch, but dedicated to saving these old structures and giving them new life.

FEEL BETTER! I hope you have a great weekend :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

Oct 2, 4:40am

Post #25 of 44 (179 views)
Shortcut
Yeesh! [In reply to] Can't Post

(I almost typed Yrch for some strange reason, though hopefully none of those are hiding in your wet basement.) Hope you're able to get that nastiness all sorted out soon, before it makes an even bigger mess of things!

We've been having out of season cloudiness and cool temps for the past few days (though it's warmed up slightly the past couple of days). Usually I prefer this kind of gloomy weather to mix things up, but I've been craving a beach day lately, so that's on hold until we get the gross hot weather back before the end of the LA summer.

Part of my time this week has been dealing with the apartment search: we've got two places in the running, neither of which I'm very excited about at all. One told us earlier they're waiting to see if a group signs a lease, and the other hasn't responded yet to our application. So we're doing great, by the sound of it! CrazyCool We still have the rest of the month before we're out on Halloween, so in the world of apartment searching - the hunt has really only begun. Quite stressful, nonetheless!

I started today thinking I would be going for a nice, long hike tomorrow afternoon, but my friend's roommate has a "throat thing" going on that's probably allergies but we'd rather not find out it's *not* allergies, if you know what I mean. So I may still end up hiking with my girlfriend on Sunday instead. As long as I'm on a trail, I'll be good!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.