Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
ROTK: Why does Pippin go with Gandalf to ward off the Nazgūl?

skyofcoffeebeans
Lorien

Sep 27, 9:38pm

Post #1 of 3 (1098 views)
Shortcut
ROTK: Why does Pippin go with Gandalf to ward off the Nazgūl? Can't Post

I know the logistics of how this came to be filmed and edited, but in the world of the film, what conclusions can we draw as to why Gandalf specifically showed up outside the gates of Gondor with a hobbit on his horse to ward off the winged Nazgūl against the Osgiliath defenders?

I have no theories except that maybe he and Pippin happened to be on their way to Osgiliath (although why he’d take Pippin again,I don’t know), or maybe he was on another errand didn’t have time to stop to drop off the hobbit.

Thematically it’s an interesting counterpart to the Unexpected Journey monologue where Gandalf talks about how hobbits give him courage, but otherwise it tends me to a baffling adaptation choice when you don’t consider the original sequence and its placement in the film. What have you all thought of this moment in the past?

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 2, 1:39am

Post #2 of 3 (970 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what you thought [In reply to] Can't Post

Why is Pippin there?

But then I had that thought when Frodo and Sam ended up in Osgiliath on the WEST side of the river.... uhhhh.... is a tunnel under the Anduin even a reasonable thing?

Sam saying... By rights we shouldn't be here .... always makes me mutter Darn right.....

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Chen G.
Gondor

Oct 2, 8:51am

Post #3 of 3 (948 views)
Shortcut
Its like the Euphrates Tunnel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But then I had that thought when Frodo and Sam ended up in Osgiliath on the WEST side of the river.... uhhhh.... is a tunnel under the Anduin even a reasonable thing?

Sure. Ever heard of the Bablyonians' Euphrates Tunnel?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.