Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come on in and join us for some Fiesta Friday fun!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25, 3:16pm

Post #26 of 44 (219 views)
Shortcut
Chainsaw was massacred [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a spool attached to the motor that the chain loops around and along the blade. It's what runs the chain. One of the 6 metal extensions (like a spoke) of the spool the chain runs around broke off... so the chain was dancing all over the place and couldn't stay in the rails of the blade. *sigh* I really beat this little 14" blade electric chainsaw up over the past 10 years. It's meant for branches, and we attacked several full-sized trees and cut them into firewood... so I can't complain. She was relentless and gave her all :)

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25, 4:08pm

Post #27 of 44 (216 views)
Shortcut
No news is sometimes better news ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't it figure you'd be caught like that? I always tank up and fill my lawnmower gas cans when bad weather hits the Gulf of Mexico states. It's where most of the US petroleum is processes... so prices go nuts when storms hit. I hope your shortage is resolved very fast.

I'm glad your flower are doing so well :D Especially just before the cold weather moves in. Have a wonderful walkies weekend!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25, 4:19pm

Post #28 of 44 (215 views)
Shortcut
Fresh scones, flapping clothes, grazing sheep, cases down... [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like things are settling down. I'm glad you're able to get out enough to pick up. That's got to be a help at this point.

SO SO SO happy you're able to use your left hand much more :D *applause* Things like typing, washing your hair (soon) and buttoning your shirt must feel so good! :D

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that good weather keeps you company.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25, 4:40pm

Post #29 of 44 (217 views)
Shortcut
Your list is shrinking... finally! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It felt like you were adding to it for the longest time. Thank Goodness you're past the appraisal hurdle and got more done on clearing things out of the house. What a great treat for you and your most dependable helpers. There's something about a good meal on a beautiful day that makes things special :)

How lovely you're going to meet up with your Dad's friends. It will give them closure and you a chance to share some time with people who really care about him.

Good job on taking care of yourself. Between how busy you've been and the pandemic, it's not surprising the regular checkups haven't been so regular.

Have a GREAT weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Sep 25, 5:20pm

Post #30 of 44 (215 views)
Shortcut
Oh Lawks, not toilet roll frenzy again! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had all that during lockdown - the only shortages were caused by panic buying, meaning the supermarkets couldn't restock fast enough.
Last winter was mild and there was a flower or two on the vinca practically throughout - very cheery.

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Sep 25, 5:25pm

Post #31 of 44 (214 views)
Shortcut
Equinoctial Gales used to be a meteorological thing [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's been mild and calm lately, thanks to high pressure! Bad news for the wind turbines...from my patch of coastline I can see three windfarms in the distance. I've blitzed the greenhouse today and it was really hot in there. I inconvenienced a lot of spiders ~shudder~ who will no doubt move back in shortly. Once the tomatoes are gone, it's a good place to dry washing in uncertain weather, as I don't own a tumble dryer.

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Sep 25, 5:35pm

Post #32 of 44 (215 views)
Shortcut
When something as serious as a hurricane is expected [In reply to] Can't Post

I can understand people wanting to stock up - that's a real and present danger. Lack of fuel tanker drivers causing closure of A FEW petrol stations here initially, then alarmist reporting by the media leading to panic buying when there really isn't a crisis is something quite different!
Selling mums - that did make me laugh! Reminded me of the medieval 'wife sales' in the market place. I imagine they're chrysanthemums. I love them and have tried to grow them in the past, but the slugs and snails take them off at the ankles in my garden. I don't like putting down slug bait, so I buy an autumnal bunch occasionally for the house and make do with that. At present I have Michaelmas daisies, sedum spectabile, alyssum, salvia, a few late roses and a dainty but hardy fuchsia called Hawkshead with almost white flowers. A few straggling nasturtiums and potted pelargoniums add a splash of colour, but things are generally pretty quiet now. My garden's at its colourful best between April and June really.

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Sep 25, 5:43pm

Post #33 of 44 (215 views)
Shortcut
That sort of weather situation is fairly predictable [In reply to] Can't Post

but people here are very twitchy - there really wasn't a shortage until everyone started panicking. Now the delivery drivers can't keep up with the demand, so yes - there are shortages! Locally the grocery situation is exacerbated by the large local supermarket doing a refurbishment, so there are things missing from the shelves, whole brands absent and it's hard to tell if that is due to the refurb or delivery problems, which makes people edgy. Now the media is full of 'Christmas shortages' due to lack of lorry drivers, which will be the next big panic, I guess. Frankly, the way people usually go overboard and buy far too much, that might not be a bad thing!
It will be interesting to see if we do actually have much cold weather this winter; last one was very mild here. Fuel prices are going up nationally, so I'll cross my fingers for a mild one - although I would love to see a little snow!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 26, 2:18am

Post #34 of 44 (202 views)
Shortcut
A well-deserved treat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lunch at a really nice restaurant followed by gelato - what's not to love!?

I was interested to learn you sold some of the books. Back when we were redoing our childhood home, used bookstores were really hurting due to COVID closures and wouldn't even take any freely given books. We ended up giving most of them to goodwill, etc.. However, we did google the value of some of them and tucked the older and/or more valuable ones away to hopefully sell later. I'd love to hear more about what sorts of books booksellers are taking now.

I read your post of a few weeks ago about your dad's life and it brought me to tears - in a very good way. No wonder more of his friends want to get together to remember him. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time. It reminds me of the time I took my mom to her 50th high-school reunion in Baltimore. We were filing into the banquet room when someone said something to the effect of: "I hope you won't be bored hanging out with all of us old ladies for a few hours." I told her: "on the contrary, one of my main goals in life is to *be* an old lady some day, so I'm delighted." Laugh

Good to hear about the kitty! I can just imagine he and the dog chasing that fly. You must have been dying laughing.

Sold your old car? Did you get the new one yet? Oh, that new car smell!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, my friend!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 26, 3:45pm

Post #35 of 44 (186 views)
Shortcut
Sorry I'm late [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like it's been a busy time for everyone!

We're starting in on cold and flu season which means Flu shots. We carry two kinds - Quad and High Dose Quad. We're now carrying all 3 vaccines for Covid, plus Shingrix for shingles, both Pneumonia vaccines, TDaP and a few of the Hep vaccines. Dosing, paperwork and billing varies for each of them, as does the counseling. How I wish I had a billing department like doctor's offices. It's all me at the pharmacy. And that's just vaccines. We're also doing 2 kinds of Covid testing (Rapid and PCR). Plus the regular work of filling prescriptions and getting the monthly big batch prescription orders in their bubble cards ready for our nursing homes.

To relax, I finally ventured out with the family in public that wasn't work. We went to the Maryland Renaissance Festival and had a grand time. The comedy duo that recreated Shakespeare Death Scenes was hilarious. One bit revolved around a well- loved fair food - Scotch Eggs and another around the fact that any Shakespeare play being performed would have needed a "#spoiler alert" in Henry VIII England. Laugh

Speaking of scotch eggs and mead... did I not mention the mead? Well, then yes, I had mead too. In fact, I had mead before the scotch eggs. Note to self - next you do it the other way around especially if Ii skip breakfast again. Smile

Anyway, a good time. A much needed break. And now back to the grind. I'll be getting 2 weeks off in early November. No cool vacation or anything. Knee surgery. But I plan to write or edit, depending on where my brain leads me. And it will be good to be able to work without pain.

Cheers everyone!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

Sep 27, 12:20am

Post #36 of 44 (168 views)
Shortcut
Dad collected first editions [In reply to] Can't Post

and he was really into the sea explorers, like Cook & the various Europeans who sailed up the Pacific Northwest coast, like Grey and Vancouver. He also had enough sets of first editions of Nevil Shute that three of us were able to take a set with us, AND there were leftovers, which the buyer snapped up: Nevil Shute is very big these days. He took mostly nonfiction. That was the rare-books guy, who came to the house. We also toted books to a bookstore in North Seattle that pays better than Half-Price Books does, but this last load we were tired of it so we just went to Half-Price Books.

We have a person who will either clear your house out for you, or advise you on where to sell things; we are paying her for her advice. She put us in touch with the furniture people. Again we have two places: one that will take the really nice stuff & pay better, and one that will haul the rest away to resell and pay us a little.

No new car yet, it's on order and should arrive next month. Meanwhile I bought my Dad's Impreza from the estate and am driving it until I can trade it in on the new car: a new Legacy.
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/...fdbd7bede32add17.png

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Sep 27, 12:53am

Post #37 of 44 (170 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been impressed with my pharmacy during this time. Good on you!

I am having joint surgery around the same time, will send healing vibes.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27, 1:35am

Post #38 of 44 (167 views)
Shortcut
You deserve a break! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just thinking about the complexities of the billing makes my head swim. I used to do HCFA-form billing for a psychologist friend and her office mates, and that was enough for me. Is it all online billing nowadays?

Scotch eggs! Those are said to actually be highly nutritious. Yes, mead AFTER the eggs, LOL! Was the Faire very crowded? Silneldor's son and fiance went to one in New York on Pirates' Day, he sent me a pic of them in full pirate regalia. Did you do any dressing-up?

Finally you'll be able to get that knee taken care of! And more writing done - maybe even continue the musical?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27, 1:48am

Post #39 of 44 (165 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're so used to calling them just "mums" around here! Laugh That's too bad about the slimy critters going after them. I have to keep my buckets near the house, to discourage the mum-eating bunnies.

How colorful your garden is right now with those flowers! True, not as colorful as in the Spring, but still eye-pleasing. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 27, 2:11am

Post #40 of 44 (163 views)
Shortcut
I'll send the same healing vibes back. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad I'm getting this done finally, but insurance is driving the timing.

_

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 27, 2:17am

Post #41 of 44 (164 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's online billing. [In reply to] Can't Post

But that means we still have to jump through the same (and maybe more) while they tell us the process is "streamlined".

We did get to dress up for Ren Fest and I do have a picture. But without Magpie's step-by-step instructions, I can't figure out how to resize a photo! But we did have a good time. My knee gave out so they parked me at the glassblowing area and I happily watched them make all manner of cool things.

_

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 27, 12:41pm

Post #42 of 44 (145 views)
Shortcut
*big hug* Is there any way of getting a temp assistant? [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was getting my first shot in Feb at a drug store franchise and it was crazy busy, they had a person off to one side at the counter just to sort people out for which shot they wanted (flu/shingles/Covid, etc) and get their paperwork squared away. Then the paperwork was set on the counter in the order of when each person arrived. They were just there during busy times; but it freed up the pharmacist... like now with boosters also getting started.

It's just crazy how they're letting your workload run so heavily for so long. Especially if they also look at how much you've been covering others' schedules all summer. They're so lucky to have you... such a dependable professional.

I hope the surgery stays on track. The pain you're in now makes the workload so much harder. *warm hug*

SO GREAT you were able to get out and have such a wonderful time at the festival. Maybe you should have taken some of that mead to work in a thermos ;) JUST KIDDING! (sorta)

Hang in there!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 27, 12:47pm

Post #43 of 44 (140 views)
Shortcut
Nature update... [In reply to] Can't Post

The birds are migrating already. Canadian geese are all over the skies, the herons are gathering, and I counted over 15 robins just in my front yard on Sunday fattening up for their trip. *sigh* I'm going to miss them all.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 28, 1:52am

Post #44 of 44 (131 views)
Shortcut
Hee hee.. more help?! hahahahahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry.

No. I work for 2 small independent pharmacies. We make do with the staff we have. I think the gods for the staff at both pharmacies. Those ladies are excellent. Only pharmacists can immunize in our state and lately that means lengthy conversations and sometimes confrontations.

All of my colleagues have workloads like this. The pandemic has increased the workload with employers adding testing and more immunizations. Don't even get me started on insurance companies.

September 25th was World Pharmacists Day. If you didn't thank your pharmacist that day, please do so the next time you see them. It's nuts behind that counter.

_

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.