The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Audiobook from Andy Serkis coming September 2021

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 14, 2:06pm

Post #1 of 9 (1933 views)
Shortcut
Audiobook from Andy Serkis coming September 2021 Can't Post

Following his excellent reading of The Hobbit, Andy Serkis will be releasing full unabridged audiobooks for all three of The Lord of the Rings books this September.

Here's a short excerpt: https://youtu.be/Sez-kWSsHr0

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 14, 3:52pm

Post #2 of 9 (1922 views)
Shortcut
Unabridged, but shorter [In reply to] Can't Post

One interesting fact that I have seen noted elsewhere is that while these audiobooks are being advertised as "unabridged" (and I have no reason to believe they are not), the running time is considerably shorter than those of the previous audiobooks read by Rob Inglis. Apparently the same was true about The Hobbit. I guess Andy reads considerably faster than Rob did. Let me know if I can locate the respective runtimes before I hit submit.

FOTR - 19 hours and 7 minutes versus 10 hrs and 59 mins

TTT - 16 hours and 40 minutes versus 10 hrs and 16 mins

ROTK - 18 hours and 19 minutes versus 12 hrs and 54 mins

See Andy Serkis unabridged Audiobook at the Tolkien Collector's Guide.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

skyofcoffeebeans
Lorien

Jul 15, 5:31pm

Post #3 of 9 (1865 views)
Shortcut
This is exciting [In reply to] Can't Post

A voice actor reading every voice in LOTR? Sign me up.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Sep 20, 2:47am

Post #4 of 9 (611 views)
Shortcut
They do seem to be unabridged [In reply to] Can't Post

I got all three books. I haven’t listened to the entire thing, but I’ve listened to multiple chapters in all 3 volumes and what I’ve listened to seems to be complete. I’m reading along with the recording in FOTR and so far it’s all there and for my tastes done very well. Getting to hear him read “Strider” in FOTR and “Passing of the Grey Company” in ROTK has been a delight.

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."- Thorin

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 20, 11:07pm

Post #5 of 9 (596 views)
Shortcut
Comparative lengths [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Voronwe,

On Scribd, Serkis’ versions are as follows:

FOTR 22h 38m
TTT 20h 46m and
ROTK 21h 52m

On the same platform though, Rob Inglis made a marvellous meal out of the same at only 19h 53m, 16h 36m, 17h 12m respectively.

Now I wonder if other platforms offer them slightly sped up? After a while x1.2 would sound perfectly natural and save a lot of bandwidth/file size.

The bigger question though is why is this thread in the movie cluster?

Sly

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 22, 4:41pm

Post #6 of 9 (538 views)
Shortcut
It's a mystery! [In reply to] Can't Post

Two of them, actually.

As for why different platforms have different lengths listed, I have no idea why that might be, other than possibly, as you say, because some of sped or slowed down the recordings. But that seems unlikely to me to be the case as speed differences sufficient to justify the different lengths would certainly seem likely to affect how the recordings would sound.

In any event, the snippets that I have heard of Serkis' recordings have been very impressive, if a tad over-the-top.

As for why this is in the movie forum, while that is not business I will note that someone also started a thread at The Hall of Fire on this subject in the movie forum there, and despite my reputation as dictatorial administrator with strong OCD tendencies, I left it there rather than moving it to the forum for discussion of Tolkien's books.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 22, 7:32pm

Post #7 of 9 (528 views)
Shortcut
Forum? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for why this is in the movie forum, while that is not business I will note that someone also started a thread at The Hall of Fire on this subject in the movie forum there, and despite my reputation as dictatorial administrator with strong OCD tendencies, I left it there rather than moving it to the forum for discussion of Tolkien's books.

While I commend your desire to defy your OCD tendencies, I think your instinctual response would have been the more correct one.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 23, 1:59am

Post #8 of 9 (530 views)
Shortcut
Wait, what are we talking about ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

… and do not say dictatorial! Nay, nay.

Over the top covers it, definitely different from Rob Inglis. I appreciate Andy Serkis’ earnestness and expressiveness enormously, but it took a little while getting used to him as a narrator. It was two chapters before I was no longer consciously aware of (distracted by?) Andy Serkis the actor. (I had the same problem while listening to something read by Sean Bean, though it was a straight, short reading of King Arthur.) At times though Serkis very much reminded me of Ralph Imeson, with his guttural, half whispered delivery,

I was surprised when Serkis put on his Gollum voice from the films in the Riddles in the Dark chapter, expecting it to be trademarked or the property of New Line or something. And he seemed to be channeling Martin Freeman while saying Bilbo’s lines. It was an interesting effect, (slightly dissonant and meta). Which of course got me thinking how cool it would be if the LotR and TH cast members read their characters’ lines in another audio book version of TH and the trilogy. Lines would be different in some cases, and revert to the original characters (for instance, “Where now the horse and the rider” etc. would be said by Aragorn instead of Theoden), but I’d pay for that.

Maybe that’s why this is in the movie forum.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Sep 23, 2:08am)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 23, 2:12am

Post #9 of 9 (519 views)
Shortcut
Andy doing Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

This clip that I saw on Facebook of him reading from the Uruk-Hai chapter is what I was really thinking of when I said "over the top."

https://www.facebook.com/...deos/934557037273683

Over the top, but I like it. Not to everyone's taste, though.

The Hall of Fire

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.