The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Howard Shore in Talks to Compose for Amazon's LOTR

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Sep 19, 4:03pm

Post #1 of 12 (707 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore in Talks to Compose for Amazon's LOTR Can't Post

https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-lord-of-the-rings-composer-howard-shore-score-amazon-tv-series-middle-earth-jrr-tolkien-1234839274/

"EXCLUSIVE: While neither writer/director Peter Jackson nor the original cast are part of Amazon Studiosí The Lord of the Ring series, Deadline hears there may well be an important point of familiarity. Howard Shore, whose work on the Middle Earth trilogy won him three Oscars, is in talks to compose the music for the TV series."

"The Fellowship of Fans" claims that Shore is already under contract (https://twitter.com/FansFellowship/status/1439600042508161027?s=20).

Implications, if true:

(1) Amazon is indeed trying to tie their series to PJ's films.

(2) Amazon is aware of the importance of Shore's music to fans such as us. For me, Shore's soundtracks are beautiful artistic
accomplishments of their own on par with the films themselves.

(3) We could get additional development of themes from the LOTR/Hobbit films, in a totally new first/second age context.

Exciting! Would still like to see harder proof of Shore's involvement though.

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Sep 19, 5:17pm

Post #2 of 12 (679 views)
Shortcut
According to Fellowship of Fans' Twitter account, Howard Shore is not only in talks, he has been contracted for months. Also, Bear McCreary is hired as a 2nd composer. [In reply to] Can't Post

EXCLUSIVE: BEAR McCreary is one of the 2 MAIN composers working on #LOTRonPrime One of the most sought after composers in the TV industry right now. Best known for Godzilla, Outlander, Black Sails, Agents of Shield, 10 Cloverfield Lane He is also the GOD OF WAR composer.

EXCLUSIVE: The Return of the King Howard Shore returns to Middle- Earth and this time the Second Age. He is NOT in talks, he has been contracted for months... Howard Shore and Bear McCreary are the 2 composers working together on #LOTRonPrime

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 19, 9:05pm

Post #3 of 12 (640 views)
Shortcut
Continuity both with Tolkien and Jackson? [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, it wouldn't take much to keep the series in continuity with Peter Jackson's films. they don't touch that strongly on the Second Age anyway, and fail to be consistent with Tolkien's (Second Age) legendarium mostly in the details about how the manner of Sauron's defeat. If the show incorporates some of Shore's musical cues, I'll have no serious problem with that.

What I had to wonder about was whether New Line/Warner Bros. has control over Howard Shore's work for the Jackson films and if they could veto the use of his previous work in the new show.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

Amigo
Bree

Sep 19, 10:36pm

Post #4 of 12 (623 views)
Shortcut
ButÖ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What I had to wonder about was whether New Line/Warner Bros. has control over Howard Shore's work for the Jackson films and if they could veto the use of his previous work in the new show.

Isnít New Line/Warner Bros. co-producing the series?

Speak "friend" and enter.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 20, 2:55am

Post #5 of 12 (594 views)
Shortcut
Maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Television are credited as production companies for the show according to IMDb, as is Tolkien Enterprises. That should simplify things if that's true.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Sep 20, 6:20am

Post #6 of 12 (577 views)
Shortcut
Why veto it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Couldn't it be on the contrary to their advantage, perhaps, to have it re-used, if it is for some financial or other benefit for them too?
And couldn't the resulting continuity effect benefit actually everybody concerned, as most fans, I believe, myself included for sure, loved all the music by Shore for both Jackson's Trilogies?

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 20, 2:09pm

Post #7 of 12 (523 views)
Shortcut
Cost versus Benefit [In reply to] Can't Post

If Warner Bros. saw Amazon Prime as a direct competitor then they might decide that the cost of allowing them to use Howard Shore's themes and motifs from the Middle-earth films would not be to their benefit. Of course, if it's accurate that New Line/Warner Bros. do have a stake in the show's success then this factor goes away.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 20, 2:09pm)

Archestratie
Rivendell

Sep 20, 7:11pm

Post #8 of 12 (491 views)
Shortcut
Uh... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Couldn't it be on the contrary to their advantage, perhaps, to have it re-used, if it is for some financial or other benefit for them too?
And couldn't the resulting continuity effect benefit actually everybody concerned, as most fans, I believe, myself included for sure, loved all the music by Shore for both Jackson's Trilogies?

I sincerely doubt they reuse much of the soundtracks from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies. Maybe they'll do it once just to throw us some 'member berries, but after that, it's going to be 100% original. Reusing the same music would only dilute the score's impact for both the show and the films.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 20, 7:51pm

Post #9 of 12 (485 views)
Shortcut
What do you mean by "Re-use"? [In reply to] Can't Post

The music belongs to Warner WaterTower Music, so Amazon (who are in some sort of partnership with Warners) could license existing tracks pretty easily.

But is that what you mean by "reuse" or does recording the same theme in a new guise also count as "reuse"? Because I don't think it is.

The whole point of these leitmotif-based scores is to repeat the same material in new guises. The same thing that in a script we might deem as "fan service", in the case of music is literally how that music works.

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Sep 21, 2:50am

Post #10 of 12 (449 views)
Shortcut
Quality [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If Warner Bros. saw Amazon Prime as a direct competitor then they might decide that the cost of allowing them to use Howard Shore's themes and motifs from the Middle-earth films would not be to their benefit. Of course, if it's accurate that New Line/Warner Bros. do have a stake in the show's success then this factor goes away.

Also LOTR on Prime might just suuuuuck in the end. In such a situation, allowing lietmotifs to be brought across could have an effect on perceptions of WB's own IP and reduce its value.

This is absolutely the sort of scenario where faceless corporations get very risk averse in part because of the need to CYA against something going bang.

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Sep 21, 4:56am

Post #11 of 12 (444 views)
Shortcut
That's indeed what "re-use" [In reply to] Can't Post

was, in my mind, meaning, when I wondered why they would want to veto it.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Noria
Gondor

Sep 22, 2:16am

Post #12 of 12 (347 views)
Shortcut
Great news. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, Shore's music for all six Jackson films is one of the best things about them. I listen to the music more often than I watch the movies. This news makes me a little more interested in the television series.

I'm also something of a fan of Bear McCreary. IIRC he got his start composing the music for the 2000's Battlestar Galactica and those soundtracks are still among my favourites. He also writes the music for The Walking Dead which, especially in the early seasons, was noteworthy in part because of how little there was of it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.