The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
New details related to Dwarves

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Aug 31, 7:39am

Post #1 of 21 (1192 views)
Shortcut
New details related to Dwarves Can't Post

The Fellowship of Fans Twitter account posted some interesting new information related to the Dwarves of the upcoming Amazon series yesterday (links are mine):

1. Robert Aramayo who is an elf (most likely Elrond) was on the Dwarven sets and filmed scenes with the dwarves in the first 2 episodes of season 1 of #LOTRonPrime directed by J.A Bayona.

2. Robert Aramayo has a stand in double for height perspective for the scenes filmed with the dwarves and the double was over 6 ft 5 and did martial arts.

3. Owain Arthur is an important Dwarven character in #LOTRonPrime and filmed scenes with Robert Aramayo on the Dwarven sets in the first 2 episodes.

4. The Dwarves have “amazing Dragon/ Dragon scale” armour with some being as heavy as 15-20 kg on the extras. Most Dwarven extras were NZ male 50-60 years olds and even older

5. The Dwarven King is said to look strikingly similar to Tormund from GoT and it was a running joke on set about the similarity with the GoT character. It *seemed* to be that the Dwarven King was based on Tormund’s look (not confirmed)

6. Some scenes from the first 2 episodes will show Dwarves climbing a mountain/ravine. Also on the Dwarven sets there is an “underground pub set piece”.

It has been speculated that Peter Mullan (Ozark, Westworld, Top of the Lake) is playing the Dwarven king (Durin?). If tweet no 5 turns out to be correct, the Dwarven king is probably played by another (red haired?) actor (unless Peter is wearing a wig and/or fake beard).

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Archestratie
Rivendell

Aug 31, 6:53pm

Post #2 of 21 (1108 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves aren't a bad place to start. Pop culture embraced the Hobbit movies, and so the general public will be pretty familiar with Jackson's dwarves from that movie. The costuming sounds in line with Jackson's portrayal of dwarves.

I just hope the portrayal of orcs and goblins is much more grounded like The Lord of the Rings movies rather than to over-the-top depictions in The Hobbit films. The cartoony orc armor was just incredibly off-putting to me.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1, 2:10am

Post #3 of 21 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Owain Arthur and Robert Aramayo [In reply to] Can't Post

Depending on the exact setting, it seems likely that Owain Arthur was cast as either: Narvi, Durin II or Durin III. Any bets?

I know the assumption has been that Robert Aramayo has been cast as Elrond. But, given this new information, are we certain that he's not playing Celebrimbor (who is far better associated with the Dwarves of Khazad-dum)?

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 1, 2:10am)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Sep 1, 6:24am

Post #4 of 21 (1037 views)
Shortcut
100% agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll go further though... Not only did the orcs look terrible but so did the Dwarves. The LOTR's Dwarves looked consistent but the Dwarves in The Hobbit films (with the exception of about 2 - 3) looked ridiculous!

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 1, 8:34am

Post #5 of 21 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Peter Mullan [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It has been speculated that Peter Mullan (Ozark, Westworld, Top of the Lake) is playing the Dwarven king (Durin?). If tweet no 5 turns out to be correct, the Dwarven king is probably played by another (red haired?) actor (unless Peter is wearing a wig and/or fake beard).

Me and Fellowship of Fans have a minor disagreement on this (which is fine), but I can totally see Peter Mullan made-up as a ginger for the role of Durin III.

The selling point of Mullan as a Dwarf (he had previously read for Balin) is not even his accent: its the timbre of his voice: very gruff. Its perhaps showcased best in his monologue from Children of Men but I suppose he could also work as a Gwathuir or something.

We shall see.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 1, 8:34am)

Archestratie
Rivendell

Sep 1, 5:20pm

Post #6 of 21 (978 views)
Shortcut
Pics from the Set of ME TV Show and Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

The front page article on TORN at the moment tries to reconcile the image we've been shown plus the Fellowship of the Fans info.

Here's my best guess: There really is going to be a two-parter to kick off the show that will take place mainly in Valinor and show the creation of the Silmarils, the death of the two Trees, the fight between Melkor and Ungoliant, and the eventual expulsion of Morgoth from Middle-earth. Most of this will probably be done with a few actors and a lot of CGI.

Then the series will skip ahead for the remainder of the first season where we see the Elves, Dwarves, et al that we know the bulk of the actors are actually playing.

My guess is Tom Budge will be shown as Sauron in one likeness in the two-parter and some other actor will portray him in a different likeness in the rest of the series. This would make sense since Tom said Amazon "wanted to go in a different direction" from the initial filming.

Anyway. Food for thought.

InTheChair
Lorien

Sep 1, 9:08pm

Post #7 of 21 (942 views)
Shortcut
I wonder. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's my best guess: There really is going to be a two-parter to kick off the show that will take place mainly in Valinor and show the creation of the Silmarils, the death of the two Trees, the fight between Melkor and Ungoliant, and the eventual expulsion of Morgoth from Middle-earth.

Points 1 and 3 in the original post of this thread suggests there will be dwarves in Episode 1 and/or 2. There's not that much you can do with dwarves in such a two-parter. Also the mention of an underground pub set piece does not fit in at all.

If there is any Valinor material it will probably either be a short prologue, or else some memory flashback from one of the Elven characters.

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Sep 1, 9:08pm)

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

Sep 1, 9:35pm

Post #8 of 21 (940 views)
Shortcut
Not just the FOTF rumours [In reply to] Can't Post

> The front page article on TORN at the moment tries to reconcile the image we've been shown plus the Fellowship of the Fans info.

It's how it links to everything else we've already heard. I mean there must be some overarching plan, surely? Everything points to a Numenor-Eregion-Lindon thing, and suddenly we have this Valinor thing? What gives?

If it's a "prologue" i worry about it seeming a (lazy) FOTR ripoff. If it's something longer, i worry about 2 x 50 mins eps being insufficient to do a Valinor meltdown pre-amble real justice.

The struggle is real.

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and Hall of Fire moderator

Archestratie
Rivendell

Sep 1, 9:46pm

Post #9 of 21 (935 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Here's my best guess: There really is going to be a two-parter to kick off the show that will take place mainly in Valinor and show the creation of the Silmarils, the death of the two Trees, the fight between Melkor and Ungoliant, and the eventual expulsion of Morgoth from Middle-earth.

Points 1 and 3 in the original post of this thread suggests there will be dwarves in Episode 1 and/or 2. There's not that much you can do with dwarves in such a two-parter. Also the mention of an underground pub set piece does not fit in at all.

If there is any Valinor material it will probably either be a short prologue, or else some memory flashback from one of the Elven characters.

What if the prologue doesn't count as episodes 1 and 2?

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 2, 9:29am

Post #10 of 21 (889 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I think this is the case.

I still think the show will focus - in its ENTIRITY - with the storyline about the creation of the Rings of Power.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Sep 2, 3:56pm

Post #11 of 21 (850 views)
Shortcut
Complete agreement here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'll go further though... Not only did the orcs look terrible but so did the Dwarves. The LOTR's Dwarves looked consistent but the Dwarves in The Hobbit films (with the exception of about 2 - 3) looked ridiculous!

The Dwarves in the Hobbit films looked like they came out of "Time Bandits". I had concerns about that series of films as soon as the concept sketches came out. "Longbeards" with nothing but scruff ... Mad

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 2, 8:53pm

Post #12 of 21 (825 views)
Shortcut
I also agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes little sense to spend a considerable amount of time in Valinor. A short prologue, or even better a flashback, would be fine, but the focus needs to be on what the focus is on.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 2, 9:28pm

Post #13 of 21 (814 views)
Shortcut
I will say [In reply to] Can't Post

It was probably necessary to have Valinor in some capacity in flashbacks, because how do you tell the story of Celebrimbor without exploring the deeds of his grandfather, the rift between the Feanorians and the rest of the Noldor, how this relates to Galadriel, etc...

I think the presence of Valinor is very much another pointer in the direction of the show being about the Forging of the Rings of Power, as opposed to Akallabeth.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 3, 1:30am

Post #14 of 21 (798 views)
Shortcut
Scope of the Series [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was probably necessary to have Valinor in some capacity in flashbacks, because how do you tell the story of Celebrimbor without exploring the deeds of his grandfather, the rift between the Feanorians and the rest of the Noldor, how this relates to Galadriel, etc...

I think the presence of Valinor is very much another pointer in the direction of the show being about the Forging of the Rings of Power, as opposed to Akallabeth.

If the entirety of the show takes place within the lifetimes of a single generation of Numenoreans (prologue and flashbacks notwithstanding) then I would suggest it starts out around the time of the forging of the Great Rings and could end with the War of the Elves and Sauron. Anything beyond that and characters start to age out.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

InTheChair
Lorien

Sep 3, 6:33pm

Post #15 of 21 (740 views)
Shortcut
I agree with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

And even more important than for Celebrimbors character, Valinor may be to understand his motivation in creating the Elven rings, or all the rings of Power. Also to understand how Sauron manages to draw him into the trap. If the show includes the making of the rings, then the screenshot of Valinor is a good sign.

Archestratie
Rivendell

Sep 6, 6:41pm

Post #16 of 21 (635 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It makes little sense to spend a considerable amount of time in Valinor. A short prologue, or even better a flashback, would be fine, but the focus needs to be on what the focus is on.

Valinor is necessary to show the pathos of Sauron. I agree it won't be much of the show, but Sauron's motivations make no sense without it.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 6, 6:58pm

Post #17 of 21 (625 views)
Shortcut
Agreed // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Wainrider
Bree

Sep 14, 12:37am

Post #18 of 21 (334 views)
Shortcut
Valinor [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone is forgetting that Numenor will be a big focus of the show, and you can't really show Numenor without a little background info about the first age which led to it's creation.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 14, 12:49am

Post #19 of 21 (331 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure that I can speak for most people here in saying ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... we have not forgotten that the show is supposed to be focusing on Numenor.

The Hall of Fire

Chen G.
Gondor

Sep 14, 7:10am

Post #20 of 21 (313 views)
Shortcut
Says who? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's been nothing to suggest the show is Numenore-centric. The only thing pointing to Numenore is its inclusion on the map, but just because its the most overt addition to the map, doesn't mean its the most meaningful and certainly doesn't mean its the focus of the show. The suggestion that it is the focus is purely an assumption.

Indeed, if we look at the cast, the only character of whom we know is Galadriel. Ontop of that, we can very easily guess that Robert Aramayo is Elrond and probably that Peter Mullan is Durin. We've yet to learn of any Numenorean character, and I think that says a lot.

The shot of Tirion, too, has nothing to do with Numenore but everything to do with the backstory of Galadriel, Celebrimbor and, by proxy, Gil-galad and Elrond.

I think we're getting an Elf-centric storyline, with subplots for the Elves, Dwarves, Numenoreans and Gwathuirim.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Sep 14, 7:12am)

Archestratie
Rivendell

Sep 14, 1:48pm

Post #21 of 21 (289 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's been nothing to suggest the show is Numenore-centric. The only thing pointing to Numenore is its inclusion on the map, but just because its the most overt addition to the map, doesn't mean its the most meaningful and certainly doesn't mean its the focus of the show. The suggestion that it is the focus is purely an assumption.

Indeed, if we look at the cast, the only character of whom we know is Galadriel. Ontop of that, we can very easily guess that Robert Aramayo is Elrond and probably that Peter Mullan is Durin. We've yet to learn of any Numenorean character, and I think that says a lot.

The shot of Tirion, too, has nothing to do with Numenore but everything to do with the backstory of Galadriel, Celebrimbor and, by proxy, Gil-galad and Elrond.

I think we're getting an Elf-centric storyline, with subplots for the Elves, Dwarves, Numenoreans and Gwathuirim.

I agree. This is precisely why I think there will be an episode or two set in Valinor and then a layoff for a bit. After the layoff, the "real" first season will begin in Numenor.

Don't forget, we've heard about sets involving a ship where a stunt worker was injured. While the elves certainly had ships, they didn't use them a great deal in the 2nd Age IIRC. I mainly associate 2nd Age navies with the Numenorians.

(This post was edited by Archestratie on Sep 14, 1:48pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.