Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Fiesta Friday? You bet! Come on in and join us!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 10 2021, 4:14pm

Post #1 of 34 (441 views)
Shortcut
Fiesta Friday? You bet! Come on in and join us! Can't Post

Hello and welcome to everyone in TORn-land!

Well, B.G. and I succeeded in getting old furniture out, new carpet in, and lastly today, new furniture in between Tuesday and today. We had one 'day of rest' yesterday where nothing was coming in or going out, but we're still exhausted. We moved almost everything ourselves so our kitchen, extra bathrooms, and even the main bathtub and shower are packed. We plan to put everything back in place at a slower pace over the next week or so. It was SO worth it though. The main floor looks so nice! Now to start planning how to do the upper floor. The only 'problem' now is that our old beige tile (bathroom, fireplace), bedspread, curtains, etc. now clash with the new light grey color of the carpet, so I've already started window/web-shopping for replacements!

I hope you all had a more relaxing, less hectic week. Do let us know! There's still plenty of 1420 in the keg, and some fine bottles of Dorwinion behind the bar, and the buffet is stocked with yummy foods of all kinds.

*puts quarters on juke box* play us something to inspire slow but steady furniture and fixture moving!

Wishing you all a happy and amazing weekend! HeartHeartCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2021, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 34 (402 views)
Shortcut
Even in the bathtub? [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got stuff stored in there? And the shower too? Shocked That's making use of every available inch of space! Laugh

What a relief to get that part of it done, though, including the furniture. Now you can take your time finding just the right accessories etc.

I took Hubby in for hernia surgery early this morning, and our son is on his way now to pick him up. The hospital texted me at each point in the procedure - it's begun, it's ended, he's in transit, he's in recovery, he's out of recovery...and the doctor gave me a call to let me know that all went well. Amazing how they do that nowadays.

So this weekend will be spent monitoring him so he doesn't move too quickly, pick up anything weighty, etc. Going to be a pleasant warm weekend, good for sitting in the sun and enjoying the greenery before Fall starts to creep in!

*puts quarter in juke box* Sounds like you need sea shanties for hauling and lifting! Laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5B2U5iG_I

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 10 2021, 4:59pm

Post #3 of 34 (397 views)
Shortcut
Haha! love the music [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch me subconsciously end up with a few nautical-themed accessories.

Yes, the grand plan was to move things as close as we could to where they'd have to be moved back to, if that makes sense. So most everything in the master bedroom and closet went into the master bathroom, dining and living into the kitchen, etc. Some books and nick nacks went upstairs or into the basement, but all are in plastic tubs that can easily be brought back close to their homes to unpack.

Glad to hear Hubby's surgery went well and he's on the way home already to mend. Sounds like a fairly relaxing weekend is in store for the dernwyn family, except for pampering Hubby, of course.

Enjoy!Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2021, 9:11pm

Post #4 of 34 (396 views)
Shortcut
Greetings on a breezy morning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very windy these last few days, but the orchard blossom is hanging on somehow. Now that the some of the daffodils have finished blooming, we've opened up an extra area of grazing to the sheep, which they're very excited about.

I had my first follow-up appointment with the surgeon (the first time I've gone beyond walking distance of the house in weeks), and the news is good: all the bits of bone where they should be, and he's impressed that I can make a fist already :). I'm now officially allowed to type with both hands - now I just need to get my wrist rotating enough for that to be possible. Quite a business getting into the hospital under lockdown, but all those precautions did make me feel quite safe.

I went for my first run since the wrist smash - the surgeon said it would be fine ("Just don't fall over"). I didn't fall over :). It felt so good to be running again.

Mr Kimi is making canelés *and* a cake this morning - great comfort food on a not-so-nice day.

I'm glad the great redecoration project is going well. Altaira! You're even getting some good workouts from it :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2021, 9:13pm

Post #5 of 34 (390 views)
Shortcut
So glad it went well [In reply to] Can't Post

and that he can come home so soon. Enjoy your pleasant weekend!

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

Sep 10 2021, 9:58pm

Post #6 of 34 (393 views)
Shortcut
sounds like my life! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wednesday was the big push to get the house finally ready for showing. I had put out a call for all those people who said "I'm happy to help, just let me know" to show up at 11 am to load my car with the last of my stuff & take it to where I'm now living. No one showed up, so I loaded the car myself. Finally at 1 two friends showed up and helped me unload the car and get the boxes more or less into my new space. After that two of the family arrived and started cleaning stuff. I made my brother help me load the car again with the goodwill run stuff, then I went and sat on the porch for a while. I am not sure if my family really doesn't understand that I'm more or less disabled at the moment, or if they do but it doesn't translate to action on their part. They left about 5 and I spent the evening cleaning and got up at 6 and continued, then took the cat to the boarder's and then went out for a long and leisurely brunch. Spent part of yesterday afternoon unpacking but mostly I napped and then slept 10 hours last night!

Today I drove to Goodwill & left that load there. Then I texted that the only thing left to do was the dump run. Bro texted back "happy to help. When do you want to do it?" I texted "actually hoping it can happen without me!" I still have to come point at stuff to take, apparently it's not enough for me to say "all the stuff on the left side of the garage and behind the garbage bin."

One of my besties is so concerned about my brother's ability to actually take care of me after my surgery that she's talking about taking me home with her to look after me herself. She's a PT and her husband has had both shoulders done so she knows all about it. My brother and his wife mean well, I don't doubt that, but they are caught up in their own concerns to the point of not always hearing or understanding what others say to them.

Ah well. The house has generated a LOT of interest, 8 people have asked to see the inspection report and I'm fielding a lot of questions from the realtor ("Yes, the house has AC. No, the basement has never flooded, there are French drains all around it. Yes, you can see even more of the lake in winter. No landscaper, we did the garden ourselves . . over 60 years, that's why it looks so amazing..") We look at offers on Monday. Fingers crossed!

Today I'm settling into my temporary digs, a separate master suite over the garage of some friends. Spent a nice hour on the patio withe their two Samoyeds, or as I'm calling them, the Floofy McFlooferstons. I'll have a long tall G&T please!

If you want to see the house:

https://nancylavallee.com/...e-SE-98040/139718232

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Sep 10 2021, 10:00pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2021, 10:43pm

Post #7 of 34 (381 views)
Shortcut
You've done an amazing job with the house. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's looks so beautiful. Just think: you're helping an entirely new family create a generation of memories in that home. Smile

One thing that's got me stumped is a photo of an upstairs room - there's a ladder in it that seems to end at the ceiling. What's with that?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 10 2021, 10:50pm

Post #8 of 34 (379 views)
Shortcut
The house looks fab. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not at all surprised it's generating lots of interest.

Your temporary digs sound lovely, and just the sort of relatively quiet break you're more than due.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2021, 12:20am

Post #9 of 34 (372 views)
Shortcut
No daffodil treats? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just imagine the sheep gorging on those! Laugh

That's wonderful news about the wrist! And don't doctors give such wise advice - "don't fall over", indeed. Just being out in the open for so long must have been exhilarating.

Caneles? Mr. Kimi spoils you, what a gem he is! Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2021, 12:56am

Post #10 of 34 (370 views)
Shortcut
"...write your next novel [In reply to] Can't Post

up in the lake view loft..." What lovely inside joke from your realtor! That is an incredibly open house, it's large yet some areas have a cozy compact feel, and there's that amazing stovetop/oven. Best of wishes for Monday!

And I too wonder - where does that mysterious ladder lead to?

Once more, your family's actions - inactions? - leave us all aghast. I am SO glad that your bestie who's a PT has offered to handle your post-operation care.

How is your little fluffy friend reacting to the huge new fluffy friends?

Annael
Immortal

Sep 11 2021, 2:18am

Post #11 of 34 (369 views)
Shortcut
the ladder [In reply to] Can't Post

goes to a domed skylight you can open and get out onto the roof through. Originally there was actually a platform built around it, big enough for several people. Dad wanted a "Widow's walk." There's still a flat area; I went up a couple of years ago when the Blue Angels were in town and at one point they flew directly over us, right above the trees - it was so loud & actually terrifying.

Mr. Charlie is being boarded for a few days to give me time to get all set up here. We're going to put up a dog gate at the end of the hallway so he will have a dog-free zone to get used to his new home in at first. It will be his choice whether he ventures out of the gate, which won't stop him, or not. The dogs are used to cats, but Charlie's never been around dogs. We shall see!

-- Gaston Bachelard

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2021, 2:41am

Post #12 of 34 (369 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeeeet on juggling your furniture :D [In reply to] Can't Post

How cool that you've got that all done. Wait, wait, wait for everything to fall into place... then WHAM! It all happens in a few days. You need ICE CREAM to celebrate your massive hauling of all your stuff! Fersher take your time getting things re-settled.

I've had a quiet week! Let me say that again... I've had a quiet week! I still had some running my daughter around during a few days; but they didn't take very long so I still spent most of my time clearing out the old rose bush. The weather was perfect except for one day of rain, so it was very therapeutic. I saved all the dead vines for crafting. I'll be digging little thorns out of my hands that went through my gloves and nursing the myriad of scratches on my arms; but I'm so happy to find how many roses made it :D It's the only live memory of the 200+ yo Ohio farm, so I'm always worried about losing them.

I'm a bit somber this weekend with the 20th anniversary of 9/11. I'll be watching several of the special broadcasts about it.

Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira... and I hope you and everyone have a fabulous weekend :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2021, 2:50am

Post #13 of 34 (368 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry he's had a hernia and surgery! Thank goodness it all went well and he's home. You're going to be quiet busy making sure he doesn't try to do too much. My Dad had hernia surgery when I was quite young... and I remember he was in a lot of pain beforehand then during recovery. I hope your hubby didn't suffer too much from the pain. Hopefully you'll have him trained and settled on what to do or not do by the time work starts again on Monday. Give him a gentle hug for me.

A quiet weekend will be good for both of you after your very hectic first 2 weeks of work :) Hang in there!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2021, 3:04am

Post #14 of 34 (366 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic news of the healing!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy for you and your progress :D Doc must think keeping you home during recovery is a good idea ;) It's a sad thing for getting out to appointments, etc. is almost alien now; but if it gets us past the virus threat... it's worth it!

You're in full Spring now with your flowers growing so well and your babies scampering in the yard! I've been noticing the Canadian geese are on the move overhead in the the river/fields near my home... and the maple trees are showing colour in their leaves. Signs of our Fall moving in.

I hope hubby and you have a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 11 2021, 3:47am

Post #15 of 34 (366 views)
Shortcut
What a beautiful home! [In reply to] Can't Post

So much work... but it's paid off. It's lovely inside and out! I hope it sells fast so you can move on... while you're moving on ;) I'll bet you'd never be sad is you didn't see Goodwill ever again. I hope they unloaded your stuff. My local one doesn't do it anymore after Covid hit. They stand there and watch.

You know... many people really don't "get" what it's like to have an ailment, problem or injury unless they've dealt with something like it themselves. I think you're brother and the others don't realize that just because you're moving around and using your arm, it doesn't mean that you're not in pain and causing more injury. How exhausting it is to have chronic pain. Doesn't make them bad people... just not always reliable/sympathetic. No one showed up? It's hard not to say something. They probably each thought others would be there. Makes you hesitate to ever ask. My bestie was going to help me move into my house; but forgot. She took the kids to the beach for the day... told me about it later. I didn't say anything. She totally didn't remember. "How'd the move go?" "Fine. I'm still moving boxes." "Oh good." Seriously?

I think if you can go to your friend's home after your surgery, you should do that. Given your brother's limited empathy or understanding of what you're going through... it's important for your healing to have the right support. You could always spend the first important week(s) with your friend and then hang out at your brother's. In the meantime, you'll be able to determine if you should just stay where you are and tell bro "thanks anyway".

I hope you can enjoy some easy days now that the house and the move are done as much as they can be. I'm glad the realtor is calling you, though. Goodness knows what anyone else might tell her!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 11 2021, 3:48am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2021, 4:41am

Post #16 of 34 (362 views)
Shortcut
That must be the skylight [In reply to] Can't Post

that's visible in the first house picture! I've been enjoying the virtual tour. Those really are steep steps up to the loft! Is that catnip growing in the bowl in the bathroom? And I remember you once mentioning that ornate coat-rack in the front hall, what was its origin?

Mr. Charlie will no doubt appreciate his secure area. This will be quite the adventure for him.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 11 2021, 4:52am

Post #17 of 34 (364 views)
Shortcut
The briar and the rose [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing how those thorns can penetrate thick gloves. But those will be happy roses, now that they can get the full benefit of sun!

9/11 was a living nightmare. There are so many stories I've been reading, from survivors and families, about those who got out and those who didn't, so many heroes...UnsureHeart

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2021, 3:20pm

Post #18 of 34 (341 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm furniture moving playlist...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Moving on UP --- theme of The Jeffersons

Our House --- by Madness

Old Time Rock and Roll - Bob Seger

Hard Day's Night -- the Beatles

Wake Me Up befor you Go-Go -- Wham

Walking on Sunshine -- Katerina and the Waves

Shake Rattle and Roll -- Bill Haley and the Comets

........ right now I'm just walking around deliberately NOT seeing that the carpet needs to be replaced as the thought of packing books gives me a headache....

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 11 2021, 5:16pm

Post #19 of 34 (333 views)
Shortcut
how about [In reply to] Can't Post

Burning Down the House - Talking Heads.

My favorite music for house cleaning.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Sep 11 2021, 5:21pm

Post #20 of 34 (331 views)
Shortcut
"a quiet week" . . . what lovely words! [In reply to] Can't Post

Garden maintenance is my favorite thing to do when there's nothing else needs doing, as well. Where I'm (hopefully) moving will not give me scope for gardening beyond what I can put in pots on the deck. I'm telling everyone I'm going to become a pot farmer. But a friend in the area who has five acres and a HUGE garden tells me I not only can come over and help, she'll even put aside an area just for me!

-- Gaston Bachelard

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Sep 11 2021, 7:06pm

Post #21 of 34 (333 views)
Shortcut
Oof, so many busy people! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck with all the removals and other domestic business going on. Also, a Paddington Bear 'Hard Stare' for those who offered to help and didn't show up. NOT good. Music for moving furniture? The actions in the song are not to be recommended (?!*) but 'Right Said Fred' by Bernard Cribbins is an entertaining oldie!

Nothing sensational going on around here, except we did have a lively end to the long dry spell a couple of days ago with thunder, lightning and a substantial amount of rain causing some local flash flooding and road closures. My quilting group met again for the first time since before the lockdowns - it felt strange to be in a room with so many people, though it was nowhere near as full as it used to be. We spent the evening going through a massive 'show and tell' session, which was great fun!

All the best for the week to come, folks - cheers!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2021, 4:53pm

Post #22 of 34 (291 views)
Shortcut
I think I haven't heard that since I was a kid! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here you go - the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5XX9LX2es4

And a cute Lego version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNFeLxJGUwc

Nothing "too sexy" about that song, right! Laugh

What fun to meet together again, I can imagine you all having lots of stories and things to catch up on!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 12 2021, 4:58pm

Post #23 of 34 (287 views)
Shortcut
If you take the virtual tour [In reply to] Can't Post

you can go up the steep stairway into the loft, and look up the ladder to the skylight!

I love it when places have virtual tours. That's how we decided which B&B to use when we took our trip to Bar Harbor/Acadia: we knew ahead of time exactly where the room was placed in the house, and what the bedroom, bathroom, and sunroom looked like all around.

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2021, 10:21am

Post #24 of 34 (269 views)
Shortcut
A Lego version - hahaha! I must show that to my grandsons.Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do love Bernard Cribbins - he's had a long and varied career and had a role in Doctor Who a while ago and was heart-breakingly good. He's 92 now, so probably won't be with us much longer, but he's a lovely man. I'll certainly shed a tear when he leaves us. Been married to the same woman since 1955, which is no mean feat in showbusiness.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 13 2021, 3:42pm

Post #25 of 34 (264 views)
Shortcut
Awesome List!!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That was FUN to read!!!! *high five*

Yeah... don't look down. I have the same problem ;) Take Care!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.