The Nature of Middle-earth
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elthir
Grey Havens

Sep 25, 6:00pm

Post #26 of 33 (320 views)
Shortcut
It's . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . Of the Rings of Power . . . pages and pages about that story and the Third Age . . . and then it's (admittedly briefly) about the Fourth Age also.

It's a rare, yet to be published text, I admit. But anyway that's my story and I'm not sticking to it anymore!

Wink

Elthir
Grey Havens

Sep 25, 6:12pm

Post #27 of 33 (316 views)
Shortcut
the Domes of Gnome (spoilers!) [In reply to] Can't Post

With respect to the domes of Varda, plural, I wonder if this is not a slip -- but if so, admittedly twice! I checked the NOME index here: the first reference isn't plural, but merely states: "since Valinor was domed over"

Of course I wouldn't be wondering if there were not two plural references in NOME: one from Difficulties in Chronology (page 71) c. 1959, and another from Ageing of Elves (page 77) 1959.

But in Morgoth's Ring there are no dome-s that I could find. Am I missing a reference or references?

The Later Quenta Silmarillion II chapter 6

Ungoliante sees "the dome of Varda"

Myths Transformed text III

"What happened in Valinor after the Death of the Trees? Aman was "unveiled" -- it had been covered with a dome (made by Varda)" ( . . . ) it was removed and Aman was lit by the Sun"

Aman was unveiled. Christopher Tolkien: "and Aman was lit beneath the Dome by the Two Trees"

MT Text IV

"it was Varda who made the great dome above Valinor"

The Problem of Ros

[concerning the Great Hall of the Throne of Elwe and the Menelrond] " . . . because by the arts and aid of Melian its high arched roof had been adorned with silver and gems set in the order and figures of the stars in the great Dome of Valmar in Aman, whence Melian came."

[again the Dome of Varda "above Valinor" is referenced, note 21]

In the earlier QS version, Ungoliant saw the "silver domes of Valmar"> so maybe Tolkien confused this and slipped a couple times? Or maybe remembered the "domed halls of Varda" from another passage.

If there were to be domes, it would seem that "others" would not have the light of the trees! Although that said, if these two references are not mere slips, perhaps that was the point? Places for any who wanted only a starry night sky.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Or something else!

(This post was edited by Elthir on Sep 25, 6:19pm)

Elthir
Grey Havens

Sep 25, 7:12pm

Post #28 of 33 (310 views)
Shortcut
P.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

Admittedly the "Dome of Valmar" might suggest other domes, but generally speaking, names can be tricky!

Eruonen
Valinor

Sep 30, 10:26pm

Post #29 of 33 (220 views)
Shortcut
The Nature of Middle-earth | FULL INTERVIEW with editor Carl F. Hostetter [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prc20Ncjd3I

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 4, 4:36pm

Post #30 of 33 (147 views)
Shortcut
My review at the Journal of Tolkien Research [In reply to] Can't Post

It is available at: The Nature of Middle-earth (2021) (2021) by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Carl
F. Hostetter (review by Douglas C. Kane)

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Aelfwine
The Shire

Oct 4, 6:12pm

Post #31 of 33 (153 views)
Shortcut
Doug's review of NoMe [In reply to] Can't Post

For the most part, I think this is a fair review, or at least expressing opinions to which the reviewer is entitled. I must however take issue with this flat statement:

"However, it is too limiting to call [Tolkien's creation] 'fundamentally religious and Catholic'."

Tolkien obviously didn't think it "too limiting" when he declared LotR exactly that; nor is it, for exactly the reasons I give and explicate in NoMe. Saying this or, as Tolkien does elsewhere (with much the same meaning), that the legendarium "is built on or out of certain ‘religious’ ideas'", doesn't "limit" anything. I think it is unfair to give the impression (deliberately or not) that I consider Tolkien's legendarium to be only susceptible to religious and Catholic interpretation (I said and have said no such thing), or that I didn't consider this matter and the meanings of Tolkien's various statements carefully and precisely, in the context of Tolkien's "analytic speculation concerning ... underlying [i.e., fundamental, its synonym] postulates" presented in NoMe.

--
Carl F. Hostetter

(This post was edited by Aelfwine on Oct 4, 6:16pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 4, 6:35pm

Post #32 of 33 (133 views)
Shortcut
I'm flattered that you took the time to comment! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Oct 7, 3:08pm

Post #33 of 33 (59 views)
Shortcut
Alongside the Other HOME [In reply to] Can't Post

That is where I place nature, along with Christophers HOME series. I enjoyed it and learned more about Tolkien and ME in the process.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.