The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Middle-Earth 4K Box: artwork!

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 20, 12:50pm

Post #1 of 13 (2330 views)
Shortcut
Middle-Earth 4K Box: artwork! Can't Post

The artworks for the upcoming Middle-Earth edition seem to have been revealed on several Czech DVD retail sites.

Here my analysis:
First of all: the art looks legit. Alone the fact that instead of the Ringbearer fan font, the official Sauron typeface is used on the spines.
The number of discs seems: 4 discs per Hobbit movie and 6 per LOTR movie. They seem to be distributed like this:

Each Hobbit movie:
  • 1x UHD 4K — Theatrical Version
  • 1x UHD 4K — Special Extended Edition
  • 1x BluRay 2D — Theatrical Version
  • 1x BluRay 2D — Special Extended Edition
Each LOTR movie:
  • 1x UHD 4K — Theatrical Version
  • 2x UHD 4K — Special Extended Edition
  • 1x BluRay 2D — Theatrical Version
  • 2х BluRay 2D — Special Extended Edition
Additionally there is one separate disc to be seen, which appears to contain the new bonus features. Altogether it's 15 UHD 4Ks and 16 BluRay discs.

The design of the disc labels is very similar to the 4K UHD designs released last year. The colors correspond with the official color coding of the Extended Editions: Brown / Emerald green / Dark gray / Green / Wine red / Blue). Also noteworthy: the color coding doesn't match the colors of the case spines at all. Wink

The designs on the cases look minimalistic. The 1st picture shows, for example, the first Hobbit movie with Sting in a closeup. As you can see on the 2nd picture, the little thumbnails on the spines reflect the front design motifs, therefore we will have following keyart on the fronts:
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey — Sting
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug — Smaug's Eye
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies — Dwarf Statue
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring — Elven Brooch
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers — Saruman's Staff End
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King — The Ring on the Lava
So far it's unclear what this thick blue case on the right, with the inscription "The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings" and the moon runes contains. It's also unclear where another case should go (the smaller one with Sauron's finger and the Ring on it) - I assume it contains the bonus disc. There also seems to be a booklet as well (judging by the concept art it's pretty thick; also judging by the concept art it's rather picture-heavy than text-heavy). Also, there seems to be a postcard set with locations of Middle-Earth (which don't really fit stilistically with the rest).

Another thing: according to the numbers of discs, the pre-existing bonus materials won't be included. The 4K UHDs may be just straight represses of the existing UHDs as well.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

skyofcoffeebeans
Lorien

Aug 20, 4:30pm

Post #2 of 13 (2269 views)
Shortcut
I’ve come to realize… [In reply to] Can't Post

…that nothing will approximate the design of the EE DVDs. Whether that’s due to design or nostalgia is up to debate, but not one I’m interested in having.

All that matters about this set is whatever that last disc is.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 20, 4:47pm

Post #3 of 13 (2268 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that is at least partially known.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 20, 9:37pm

Post #4 of 13 (2256 views)
Shortcut
deleted scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

If this doesn't have the deleted scenes, it looks like I'll be skipping another release. How many more decades and home video formats is it going to take?

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 20, 10:40pm

Post #5 of 13 (2252 views)
Shortcut
I posted this a month ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

I found it while searching in the dusty corners of the Internet...

http://newboards.theonering.net/...b=post_time;so=DESC;

I'm not much of a fan. I like that they look a bit like paperbacks. But the art isn't great. I wish they got Alan Lee to design some covers, or just stuck with the dvd designs

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 21, 8:18am

Post #6 of 13 (2226 views)
Shortcut
"It's unclear what this thick blue case "The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings" contains" ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely it contains the 2D blu-rays?? You get each film in individual cases in 4k and then one case with the standard blu-rays all together from the looks of it.

No appendices discs? Frown

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 21, 9:00am

Post #7 of 13 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Surely it contains the 2D blu-rays?? You get each film in individual cases in 4k and then one case with the standard blu-rays all together from the looks of it.

No appendices discs? Frown

I think both the UHD and the BR are in the same individual disc cases.

The blue case might be a holder for the postcards, booklet and bonus disc.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Aug 21, 6:19pm

Post #8 of 13 (2190 views)
Shortcut
very nice [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't like the roman numerals (Unexpected Journey = 1, ROTK = VI).

This isn't Star Wars!

Chen G.
Gondor

Aug 21, 8:01pm

Post #9 of 13 (2178 views)
Shortcut
They had also been on the 1080p Collector's Edition [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson takes this idea of The Hobbit coming first arguably much more seriously that George Lucas ever did: Lucas foolishly made prequels that, for a new audience, spoil a couple of the major twists of the existing films at least three entries in advance.

Not so with Jackson: there are funny bits in the commentary track where he says about certain visuals (say, the shards of Narsil) that "it will come to have a great significance in the later trilogy."

He and Boyens like to talk about how certain moments like finding Balin's tomb or having Galadriel learn of Gandalf's downfall achieve greater resonance through the correct viewing order. They had Howard Shore write the scores around this concept, too: now I can't see Gandalf looking at the map in The Fellowship of the Ring without having recollections of Thorin and Company.

Indeed, out of curiosity, I once put all the beats in the plot from An Unexpected Journey through to The Return of the King on a three-act plot diagram, and lo and behold this "set" fits almost to the letter to the three-act structure. Its uncanny.

But yeah, they could have found some other numbering convention, surely?

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Aug 21, 8:05pm)

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Aug 24, 10:33pm

Post #10 of 13 (2015 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see a plot diagram of the entire PJ hexology! [In reply to] Can't Post

Chen G.
Gondor

Aug 30, 11:23am

Post #11 of 13 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Its like this [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a comparison between Star Wars, Harry Potter and the Middle Earth films, when they are charted on a three-act diagram.

The desirable proportions of a single, three-act film are such:

Within 20%-30% of the runtime, the story begins in earnest. Another way to put this is that the main conflict begins in earnest.

Within 40-60% of the runtime, there's a big upheaval in the course of the conflict.

No longer than 25% off of the tail-end of the runtime is devoted to the resolution, typically coming right after the lowest point in the conflict.

Well, if we define the central conflict of the Middle Earth series as the War of the Ring, the central conflict of Harry Potter as the second wizarding war, and that of Star Wars as beginning with the Clone Wars, then the proportions for each are as follows:

Beginning of the conflict: 26% (when Sauron's armies first march out of Dol Guldur), 51% (Voldemort reappears in the flesh), 32% (Yoda says that "begun the Clone War has").

Major twist in the course of the conflict: 42% (the Ring is revealed to be Sauron's secret weapon), 45% (Anakin allies himself with the Sith).

Lowest point in the conflict, followed by the resolution of the story: 93% (imminent defeat at Pelennor simultaneous to Frodo seemingly being killed, just before the Rohirrim arrive to the rescue), 75% (Death of Dumbeldore), 82% (Vader reveals his identity to Luke, teasing his own possible turn to evil).

As you can see, Middle Earth is the only one where all the plot-points mimic almost exactly the proportions of a three-act structure, and has less continuity hiccups and a greater stylistic uniformity.

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 31, 1:13pm

Post #12 of 13 (1581 views)
Shortcut
Pre-order for $249.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.ign.com/...ors-edition-preorder

AshNazg
Gondor

Sep 1, 11:44pm

Post #13 of 13 (1505 views)
Shortcut
VIDEO: A detailed look at the box art [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope this link works:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/..._ib_mb_kn1Sr78mxokKU

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.