Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Jul 20 2021 Spy Report: Incredible details from Amazon’s Lord of the Rings! Characters, Sexless Nudity & Halflings too?

skyofcoffeebeans
Lorien

Jul 20 2021, 3:44pm

Post #1 of 18 (1598 views)
Shortcut
Jul 20 2021 Spy Report: Incredible details from Amazon’s Lord of the Rings! Characters, Sexless Nudity & Halflings too? Can't Post

https://www.theonering.net/...ss-nudity-halflings/

Getting flashbacks to the early 2000s reading stuff like this– never followed the BTS of LOTR but this reminds me a lot of spy reports for the Star Wars prequels.

What do we make of the details here?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 20 2021, 5:57pm

Post #2 of 18 (1528 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's an eye-opener and no mistake! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised there hasn't been any responses to your post. That is more information than we have gotten in the whole time that this series has been in production. I take it with a huge grain of salt, but Cliff has been a pretty reliable source over the years.

The most interesting things are the supposed use of material from The Silmarillion (which I had not heard previously), the existence of Halflings in the Second Age (which I think is a stretch in terms of what Tolkien wrote, but very likely true in terms of what Amazon will do given the popular appeal of Hobbits), the three Tolkien scholars on set (I wonder who, if true?), and no Annatar in the first year.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

(This post was edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Jul 20 2021, 5:58pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin

Jul 20 2021, 6:56pm

Post #3 of 18 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Do my eyes deceive me [In reply to] Can't Post

or is that Sir Lenny Henry, early Hobbit, with Sting? And if so ... HOW??
Edited to add: it's been pointed out to me that Lenny was photoshopped into a cast photo of Martin Freeman as Bilbo - and now the pic's been deleted from the article. It's cool if you want to have a 'shopped photo in your article but you've got to tag it as such.

This bit initially made me roll my eyes:

There is a fake production team shooting decoy footage on fake sets unrelated to the real Production – [thus making some “reports of location sightings” false leads by tricksy hobbitses and we must admit this is very clever indeed! Peter Jackson never used decoys!]

Pretentious, much?

But then I wondered: were they diverting eyes from an outdoor shoot elsewhere that would be a Big Reveal if someone keen on LOTR noticed it happening? And what might that be?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 20 2021, 8:53pm)

Wainrider
Bree

Jul 20 2021, 8:14pm

Post #4 of 18 (1475 views)
Shortcut
Report [In reply to] Can't Post

Why oh why will the elves have short hair? Hopefully they just want a different look from the movies.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 20 2021, 8:45pm)

Chen G.
Gondor

Jul 20 2021, 8:22pm

Post #5 of 18 (1470 views)
Shortcut
I also take it with a grain of salt [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I take it with a huge grain of salt, but Cliff has been a pretty reliable source over the years.

I really don't think we'll see Hobbits in this. I can see the reasons for sandwiching them in there, but I still don't think it will happen.

I think we know who Doctor/Sir Lenny Henry is playing. There's a character called "Hamsom" who is described as:

Hamsom, Series Regular, Male (44-50)

Warm, charming, weathered. Kind, sad eyes. He’s quietly suffering from an ailment he has to hide from his physically demanding traveling community. He puts on a brave face in public and keeps his physical suffering to himself. He does this with charm and a twinkle, concealing his sadness that his family has to cover for him. He loves his family and his strong, practical wife.

Appearance: The character portrayed is Caucasian or of Mixed Ethnicity in his mid-40s 50.

Brian A. Wilson had auditioned for Hamsom, and he's of a similar age, look and body-type as Lenny. The audition script was as follows:

Hamsom: No No! You fret far too much already. You have more important tasks to tend to than me my love.
Hamsom's wife: They can wait.
Hamsom: Hardly. I just need a moment, that's all. Just need to let the blood settle a bit then I'll be right as rainwater.
Hamsom's wife: Your shows of strength might fool your children but they don’t fool me.
Hamsom: I may not be as good as I once was but I’m not useless, not yet. It's just a spell. It will pass.
Hamsom's wife: How bad is it, truly?
Hamsom: Do you remember what I told you when we first came here?
Hamsom's wife: I remember the tale you tell the children word for word.
Hamsom: Tale? What, now I am hurt!
Hamsom's wife: You romanticize!
Hamsom: It was romantic. You were lying in the grass. I knew in an instant that I will grow old with you. Right here in this meadow. I can see it, as clear as I see you now.
Hamsom's wife: Then you best hold up your end of the bargain!
Hamsom: You looked so beautiful that day.
Hamsom's wife: Hamsom, we won't... we can't make it through winter without you.
Hamsom: We'll make it through the winter. All of us. I promise! Now [stands up] see, I just needed a moment, that's all. Now, hand me the axe.

Hamsom's wife is evidentally the character "Cora" -- either Thusitha Jayasundera or (more likely) Maxine Cunliffe -- who is described as:

Cora, Series Regular, Female (38-42)

FEMALE 38-42 series regular (up to 6 options)

Practical, solid, earthy. A Matriarch under too much pressure she sweeps any problems under the rug. Her husband has health problems which could turn into an issue in their physically demanding traveling community and the pressure of this and their large family can make her seem dismissive and detached. In reality shes deeply loving.

She leans too much on her oldest daughter and worries that shes dangerously curious about the world. She desperately wants a quiet life and doesnt want to be bothered with the drama of the outside world.

Appearance: The character portrayed is Caucasian or of Mixed Ethnicity in her late 30-40

Those sure don't read like Hobbits. Maybe Gwathuirim; Numenorean villagers, at most. So that bit already doesn't add up.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jul 20 2021, 8:33pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2021, 9:40pm

Post #6 of 18 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbits wandering into Eriador in the Second Age still seems like quite a stretch, though maybe they are only seen east of the Misty Mountains? It's good to learn that the current members of the Tolkien Estate seem happy with how things are proceeding. That might calm a few fans.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 21 2021, 1:19am

Post #7 of 18 (1360 views)
Shortcut
Fake crews etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

If this has been happening I must have missed any spy reports that have fallen for the deception.

InTheChair
Rohan

Jul 21 2021, 10:31am

Post #8 of 18 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Yeah a fake production team shooting decoy footage on fake sets. [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems a rather expensive measure merely to keep some secrecy. Does secrecy really matter that much to the final profit?
At least they are finally leaking out some tidbits for people to talk about. Which ones are true and which ones may be fake remains to be seen.
I wonder what plot element connected with Numenor would require Dwarvers to have a separate production unit? Something involving Moria and Eregion probably. Unless Dwarves is just used here as a placeholder for different people.
Read the Sauron/Annatar comment as, Annatar might be part of first season but will not be revealed as Sauron.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 21 2021, 10:49am

Post #9 of 18 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Call Me Cynical... [In reply to] Can't Post

But if I was pocketing hundreds of millions of dollars, I'd probably be 'very happy' too. I have serious doubts as to how involved the Tolkien Estate are in this production, least in terms of their protectiveness of Tolkien's works/world. And if I was Jeff Bezos, I certainly wouldn't have paid all that money just to be told I couldn't do this and couldn't do that. I'm thinking Amazon are doing whatever they like to be honest (Warner Bros' control of Jackson's Middle-earth notwithstanding it seems).

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Jul 21 2021, 10:52am)

Chen G.
Gondor

Jul 21 2021, 11:57am

Post #10 of 18 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Quite right [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have serious doubts as to how involved the Tolkien Estate are in this production, least in terms of their protectiveness of Tolkien's works/world.

The Estate does exert power over the production: that is made clear in the contracts between Amazon and New Zealand authorities, and from other aspects: one of the things that deterred Jackson from getting involved (appearantly as executive producer) is that "everything has to be cleared through the Estate."

However, I do agree in that I think the Estate won't concern themselves with the minutiae of the footage: just with the bigger picture; and I also assume the current heads of the Estate are pragmatic people, as opposed to obstinate like JRR and Christopher were.

From an interview with Executive Producer Jennifer Salke, it seems clear that the Estate is willing to play along to a lot of stuff and that their involvement is strictly "on strategy and on vision."

Nevertheless, lets not take all this news as gospel: they're not.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jul 21 2021, 11:58am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 21 2021, 2:00pm

Post #11 of 18 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Decoys [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If this has been happening I must have missed any spy reports that have fallen for the deception.

Unless the reports of shooting from a set representing a Numenorean village square is such a decoy.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

The Dude
Bree

Jul 21 2021, 4:00pm

Post #12 of 18 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Words [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
However, I do agree in that I think the Estate won't concern themselves with the minutiae of the footage: just with the bigger picture; and I also assume the current heads of the Estate are pragmatic people, as opposed to obstinate like JRR and Christopher were.

Replace "pragmatic" with "profit-oriented" and "obstinate" with "principled" and I would agree with you.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 21 2021, 4:04pm

Post #13 of 18 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

Comparing the Tolkien Estate's reaction to this project to its reaction to previous adaptations of Tolkien's work when Christopher Tolkien was still the main guiding force of the Estate is disingenuous at best.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Archestratie
Rivendell

Jul 22 2021, 12:42pm

Post #14 of 18 (1046 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Replace "pragmatic" with "profit-oriented" and "obstinate" with "principled" and I would agree with you.

The phrasing was right the first time.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Jul 31 2021, 3:48am

Post #15 of 18 (732 views)
Shortcut
hobbit migration patterns [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really don't think we'll see Hobbits in this. I can see the reasons for sandwiching them in there, but I still don't think it will happen.

I think it's a pretty sure bet they'll be there. They want 'em. And the timeline was never going to be intact. Your average Tolkien fan has no idea there'd even be anything controversial about this.

Varking
Bree

Jul 31 2021, 1:39pm

Post #16 of 18 (691 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your average popular show viewer probably tunes into at least 1 of the following:

1) A subreddit dedicated to the show.
2) A message board/forum dedicated to the show.
3) A podcast dedicated to the show.
4) A YouTube video dedicated to the show.

And if the show blows up you will have so many people talking about the show via word of mouth I think more often then not people would become aware about things that are super inaccurate for the timeline like Hobbits. That being said, I don't really care if they are in or out. Its not something that is going to ruin the show for me either way.

LotR on Amazon Prime Reddit

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Jul 31 2021, 9:57pm

Post #17 of 18 (661 views)
Shortcut
Reasonable. And yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine if you polled avowed Tolkien fans today, a minority would be aware that elves are rarely blonde, for example.

Eruonen
Valinor

Aug 2 2021, 7:24pm

Post #18 of 18 (575 views)
Shortcut
I am more optimistic with the seal of approval from the Tolkien Estate. [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.