Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
An Unexpected Party - Chat with PJ and GDT!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2008, 7:45am

Post #26 of 132 (3932 views)
Shortcut
Check your spam folder [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine went in there. It's from mem AT parachat.com.

Akaroa jetty, New Zealand, March 2008

Akaroa jetty

Starling
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 8:03am

Post #27 of 132 (3936 views)
Shortcut
*wails* It's still not there [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not in the Spam either.
I went back to the registration part but it won't let me re-register because it says my name is taken. Should I try and register under a different name?

leo
Rohan

May 15 2008, 8:22am

Post #28 of 132 (3945 views)
Shortcut
Very exciting! I just hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the majority of people will ask some good questions. Call me a pessimistic neekerbreeker, but if the emails coming in to TORn are anything to go by, the most popular question will be "How do I get a job as an extra/crewmember", and all possible variations on that.

There are so many more intersting questions though, about narrative, possible exclusions for the book, the "companion"movie etc. etc.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 15 2008, 9:06am

Post #29 of 132 (3937 views)
Shortcut
I think for the same reason [In reply to] Can't Post

we've only heard from GdT up until now, Peter has made the comment of passing the baton... he's establishing us with GdT as a player here and "the director" and is establishing himself with us in his new role as "producer". I take it as a cue of how their roles will play out in the filming. GdT is in the forefront, and Peter's overseeing things just off stage.

I had the feeling Peter would do precisely something like this in honour of us and our relationship with him. It's very cool, and very much appreciated from this ol' geek. His enthusiasm for us and all things Tolkien hasn't diminished, but it's shifted as his own achievements have redefined how he spends his days. Bottom line, he never gave up on making The Hobbit or gave up on us. We're still here, and he never forgot that or took us for granted. He's a man of honour, imho.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2008, 9:18am

Post #30 of 132 (3911 views)
Shortcut
Peculiar [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a "help" link anywhere?

Akaroa jetty

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 9:24am

Post #31 of 132 (3912 views)
Shortcut
Starling could try this one [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.parachat.com/faq/java.html

or this one is to retrieve your password
http://reg.parachat.com/...;code=03&step=00

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on May 15 2008, 9:26am)

Elven
Valinor

May 15 2008, 9:50am

Post #32 of 132 (3940 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful invitation! [In reply to] Can't Post

This wiill be one morning worth getting up early for!

I just feel so honoured to be part of something like this - geek heaven or what!!

Now to put my thinking cap on and decide what question to ask ... Angelic

oh, ...and the logo is awesome!!! sqweee!!!

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2008, 10:14am

Post #33 of 132 (3924 views)
Shortcut
Give us some credit! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure us messageboarders will come up with some good ones. And I have equal confidence in PJ and GDT to choose good ones.

BTW, it's great to see you posting again, leo! Smile

Akaroa jetty

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 10:42am

Post #34 of 132 (3936 views)
Shortcut
Registered and submitted! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait for this! Smile

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

leo
Rohan

May 15 2008, 11:08am

Post #35 of 132 (3932 views)
Shortcut
Oh I have no doubt about that! [In reply to] Can't Post

But we massage boarders are now just a very small part of the large, popular and mainstream LOTR-fandom, filled with Orli-swooning and PJ-is-our-hero-chanting people. That aren't as thoughtful, critical and thoroughly curious as we were back in the days (you know, back in those days when I still had a respectable post count).

I might just worry too much, but I already picked up on the first question I mentioned above in another post in this thread...

And thank you, it is very nice to be here again! Apart from the loss of my post count obvious... I worked hard to get that. Now I'm just another person in The Shire ;-)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2008, 11:25am

Post #36 of 132 (3978 views)
Shortcut
That thought struck me too [In reply to] Can't Post

The moment I came to the "20 most common questions" part of it. I suppose even if one of the most common questions is "Will Orlando be back?" Tongue PJ and GDT will think better than to answer it at the party of limited questions. Yet for my part, I'd like to know whether, and to what degree, Ian Holm will be involved in this project, and some might think it silly question.

That said, it might be a nice idea to have at least us TORnsibs have a discussion (maybe in the Pollantir) and try to submit the 20 most interesting questions from our side. I myself haven't submitted a question yet since I'm not sure if there is a limit on the number of questions one can submit, and I'd rather think of something relevant than just jump in with something random right now while I'm giddy and light-headed from this unexpected excitement.

I'm already liking the questions that have a broad scope like the ones mentioned here concerning the effect of the copyrights on the films and a little insight into the companion film.

And well, what about the effect of the Tolkien Estate's lawsuit on the films? That is still scaring me a bit and I'd like to know Evil

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 12:21pm

Post #37 of 132 (3940 views)
Shortcut
Doh! [In reply to] Can't Post

My stupid modum has to be replaced. I must do it post haste.My work computer doesn't access my aol. But I MEAN to register! Have to change modum ASAP.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elven
Valinor

May 15 2008, 12:30pm

Post #38 of 132 (3950 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The moment I came to the "20 most common questions" part of it. I suppose even if one of the most common questions is "Will Orlando be back?" Tongue PJ and GDT will think better than to answer it at the party of limited questions. Yet for my part, I'd like to know whether, and to what degree, Ian Holm will be involved in this project, and some might think it silly question.

I would like to know about Ian Holm as well - he is on my mind alot regarding these films - though I'm also not sure if that would be more an announcement for later ..
Maybe best way is to ask one question - Who, in the cast of LOTR, is being considered to be cast the Hobbit - (you can hit 20 birds with one stone Laugh with this one).

Although it maybe not a question considered for the most 20 populars, I am interested if we might also hear from from Fran Walsh and Philipa Boyens at some stage - as Fran is also sharing the EP chair, and Philipa's name has been connected with the scripting ...

It would be nice to do 20 questions with the girls Smile too.

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 12:36pm

Post #39 of 132 (3900 views)
Shortcut
Just registered! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oooh this is really starting to get exciting now isn't it! I don't suppose I'll get much chance to calm down between now and the release date with things like this going on!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

merklynn
Lorien

May 15 2008, 12:56pm

Post #40 of 132 (3907 views)
Shortcut
Yep, you should ask that, I'll ask the copyright question.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But don't we technically need lots of people to ask these questions to ensure they are picked? I did notice in the instructions it said that they would take additional questions over the course of the chat. So maybe if they are part of the 20 questions, they will still find a way in if we are persistent on the day.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 15 2008, 2:05pm

Post #41 of 132 (3941 views)
Shortcut
So, do we form a conspiracy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we figure out, as a collective, what questions we REALLY REALLY want answered and blast the site with those, or do we make sure we're not overlapping fluff questions like, "Will you be using the same set for Bag End" and miss a golden opportunity?

I'm not advocating anyone being directed as to what to ask... but if there are people who want to ask SOMETHING but have no burning question, they could pick one of our top 5 questions ;)

sample sample

merklynn
Lorien

May 15 2008, 2:17pm

Post #42 of 132 (3947 views)
Shortcut
Making a list of questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, as of writing this, I still have not posted my own question. I'm willing to discuss a list of questions in an effort to see what we as a group have as our most common and important questions. I feel like such a fan doing this, but it is embarrasingly fun. :-)

This could be done here, or in a separate thread. My suggestions to start us off are (and feel free to refine them or change them):

How will the rights to only The Hobbit and LOTR material (and not The Unfinished Tales) play into the telling of events in films, the companion film in particular?
Who will be considered to reprise their roles from LOTR in The Hobbit and the Companion film?
Will the White Council vs Dol Guldur have a place in the films?
How invovled will Peter Jackson be in the films in his role of Producer?

There, that's all I have right now, without giving in too much to my inner fan.

jimdorey
The Shire

May 15 2008, 3:31pm

Post #43 of 132 (3901 views)
Shortcut
Well my question is simple: 3D or not? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have already registered and submitted my question: "Will the two Hobbit movies be made in stereoscopic 3D?"

That's it! But what a bombshell if PJ and GDT confirm my sources' information. A followup question is whether or not the LOTRs trilogy will be re-released in stereoscopic 3D!

-jim

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 15 2008, 4:11pm

Post #44 of 132 (3862 views)
Shortcut
It took me a good while [In reply to] Can't Post

I was puzzled but after a long wait, I checked back later and it had arrived.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Mirabella_Bunce
Rivendell

May 15 2008, 4:28pm

Post #45 of 132 (3899 views)
Shortcut
Thats what I was going to suggest [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh get outta my head!

But seriously, that's why I came in to the boards, to see if we're going to work together to get some good questions asked, before I ask - and possibly waste - mine!

Just FYI: I've been in the position of tallying / monitoring questions to online speakers (in an online world called Vzones) and I'll often "consolidate" similar questions. I imagine that whoever is in charge of tallying the "20 most common questions" will do so, too. For instance, all of the "will Orli be back?" and "will Viggo be back?" and "will Ian or Ian be back?" questions would be rolled into one "Which actors will be reprising their roles?" and thus become a Commonly Asked question that would be satisfying to us all.

I also suspect that PJ and GDT will also use some discretion in choosing which questions to answer, and not be swayed strictly by which ones got the most "votes." After all, some yahoo out there might have the means to "blast the site" with something really lame such as "Are you going to out Gandalf?" and I have no fear that that sort of thing will make it to the live session, despite the number of times it's asked!

So, what ARE the questions we most want asked? We have some people in here who can ask some very thoughtful questions that, when I hear them, I'd like to hear the answer to, too, so tell me what they are and I may use that as my one question.

A questions I'm considering asking:
Will it really be possible to make compelling and memorable individual characters of all 13 Dwarves (few of them have any individual memories in my mind, from the book) or will you need to reduce the number in order to make each one unique enough? And if so, how many? (I think 9 would be a very excellent number!)

Oh, btw: Let's not waste our votes asking if Beorn will be in the movie, since I think recent remarks by GDT have already shown us that the answer to that is Yes!!

In Reply To
Do we figure out, as a collective, what questions we REALLY REALLY want answered and blast the site with those, or do we make sure we're not overlapping fluff questions like, "Will you be using the same set for Bag End" and miss a golden opportunity?

I'm not advocating anyone being directed as to what to ask... but if there are people who want to ask SOMETHING but have no burning question, they could pick one of our top 5 questions ;)

Zmulady
Rohan

May 15 2008, 4:30pm

Post #46 of 132 (3858 views)
Shortcut
I'm counting on my TORn sibs to fill me in [In reply to] Can't Post

This is so exciting! I will have to really think about this. I am gonna submit a question, but I will not be able to do the live chat so I am counting on you guys to being talking about it all afterwards. I'm bummed I'm gonna miss out!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 15 2008, 5:05pm

Post #47 of 132 (3870 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Thanks :D [In reply to] Can't Post

What a generous way to get into the swing of TORn!

I have so many burning questions, but what I want to know at this point is :

If/how we can have our names added to the eedvd credits as we had with LotR?
Will there be production diaries as we had with King Kong?
Is Ian Holm going to be a part of these last days of Tolkien's works?
Will film2 focus on events mentioned throughout LotR, or will there be a genuine new story created that ultimately folds back into the beginning of LotR?

*twitch* Oh geez. My heart's racing already!

Thanks again, Mirabella_Bunce! It's so great to have you here :D

sample sample

Patty
Immortal

May 15 2008, 5:10pm

Post #48 of 132 (3851 views)
Shortcut
Go for it, jimdorey... [In reply to] Can't Post

I badly want to know the answers to this too.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Patty
Immortal

May 15 2008, 5:13pm

Post #49 of 132 (3860 views)
Shortcut
I take it there will be a transcript floating around somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

for those unable to make it (or who print out such things for their keepsake booksWink--gotcha, Gramma!)

Patty
Immortal

May 15 2008, 5:16pm

Post #50 of 132 (3905 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'd like to know.. [In reply to] Can't Post

if the White Council is to have a place, and if the general "feel" of the elves will still be ethereal, not "jolly, like Keebler.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.