The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Green Knight trailer

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 14 2021, 2:38pm

Post #1 of 10 (1784 views)
Shortcut
The Green Knight trailer Can't Post

If you're unfamiliar with the Arthurian legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, I recommend picking up a copy of Tolkien's faithful translation, which is probably the most accessible and most famous version of the story for those of us who can't actually read Middle-English.

A new edition for this book was recently released in response to the A24 film The Green Knight that will be releasing at the end of the month.

Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/yI189R6JyYI

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Aug 1 2021, 2:41pm

Post #2 of 10 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Also see [In reply to] Can't Post

The professor's essay on Gawain, which I read a few years back in The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays, really kind of turned around my ubderstanding of the poem, though I'd read it several times and written a piece about it as an undergraduate. He sees it as an expose of sorts, of the layered rulesets for living that the elites of the day try to balance, by a poet wgo knew rhese rules intimately from within, the end messqge being not to forget that of all these codes and games, only divine law really matters.

(I still think there's a pronounced tension going on between Christianized Britain and some pagan matters that decline to fade from people's hearts and minds, none of which Tolkien addresses, but his take is incisive as always.)

As for the movie, I have no idea what to expect. The Green Knight's face is wonderful and shows an awareness of his suggestiveness of the Green Man. But otherwise it's hard to tell what's going on, and faithful presentation of a hot social topic from "the complex and didactic fourteenth century" is a lot to ask in 2021.

Chen G.
Gondor

Aug 2 2021, 9:37am

Post #3 of 10 (1105 views)
Shortcut
Looks like a film for the "Intelligentsia", not for the working-class-person's movie [In reply to] Can't Post

In other words: arthouse.

My own conviction is that snobbery does not good art make, so I doubt I'll particularly enjoy this, but the fantasy completionist in me will cause me to watch it probably.

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Aug 2 2021, 1:03pm

Post #4 of 10 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Is that not a bit binary? [In reply to] Can't Post

I worked on roofs for twelve years and I like "arthouse" stuff.

skyofcoffeebeans
Lorien

Aug 4 2021, 1:09pm

Post #5 of 10 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Feels a bit condescending / patronizing to try and define what art people might enjoy by their class / status.

Chen G.
Gondor

Aug 4 2021, 9:08pm

Post #6 of 10 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Its just an expression [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mean that its literally for the "working class". I mean, its NOT a film for wide audiences - its very much aimed at the arthouse crowd.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 5 2021, 1:27am

Post #7 of 10 (1007 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't mean that its literally for the "working class". I mean, its NOT a film for wide audiences - its very much aimed at the arthouse crowd.

...I'm completely okay with that!

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 7 2021, 12:17am

Post #8 of 10 (961 views)
Shortcut
Oh so thatís why I get so few takers in the MEVC, [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle English Vocabulary Challenge threads, based in part on Tolkienís glossary from SGGK! And here I thought it was because this is mostly a femine board.

Just kidding of course. Iíll have to check it out. Another thing Iím waiting for is the English dub of the anime Vinland Saga due later this month. (Hope you donít mind me mentioning this here, seems to be in the same art, erm, wheel-house.)

Angelic

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Aug 7 2021, 12:20am)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2021, 9:23pm

Post #9 of 10 (650 views)
Shortcut
Oooh... I think I could quite fancy that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the Simon Armitage translation some time ago and found that it really came to life when I read it out loud.

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 24 2021, 11:04pm

Post #10 of 10 (525 views)
Shortcut
Does this other trailer sway you? [In reply to] Can't Post

This one's a little more mainstream... https://youtu.be/sS6ksY8xWCY
It may not be a popcorn blockbuster or a superhero movie, but I think it has a chance for wider appeal than you give credit.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.