Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 1

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 1 2021, 8:06pm

Post #1 of 13 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 1 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

HEY! It's July!!! Surprise! It was a surprise to me when I got up this morning and raced out the door... tripping over the parts of yesterday I ignored/forgot still laying on the porch! Surprise deux!!!

How are our sibbies hiding from the extreme heat in the US and in the Northern Hemi? The temps have been well over 100 degrees up into Canada and other areas that rarely if ever have been through this before. I pray for everyone's safety and that this all passes very quickly.

Have you been able to get some mileage in over the past 2 weeks? It's lucky there are so many ways to build up your miles without going outdoors... WEATHER it's cold, hot, rainy, arid, or juuuuusssst right! Here in Michigan... we've been lucky with pretty close to just right. But, being Michigan, wait 5 minutes and that will change ;)

So how are you doing on your Quest and do you have a target? A plan? A dream? I love dreams :) Always a great to aim for. DO TELL!

Meanwhile... back in Middle-earth... the full Fellowship and I have left Rivendell and are headed South. We're still in empty, rough country which slows us a bit, but we feel pretty-much in the clear since Elrond's sons and other scouts have checked for enemy activity and found it's pretty quiet.

Good luck on your journey! STAY SAFE! I'll see you on the Road and right back here on Thursday, July 15th!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jul 14 2021, 3:43pm

Post #2 of 13 (1420 views)
Shortcut
Hey! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been two months since I last checked in. Sorry! I was very busy with work. And getting vaccinated (yay!), and the heatwave, which is still going on here (though, thankfully, it looks like it'll get better next week). My daily numbers have dropped quite a bit, but I've still amassed another 832 km (or 517 mi) since the start of May, which means I only have 2,887 km (or 1,794 mi) left on my quest to circle the world. Woohoo!

I hope you're well, gramma. See you around!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 16 2021, 12:06pm

Post #3 of 13 (1368 views)
Shortcut
You're circle is nearly complete! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

WELL DONE!!! It's not always possible to keep up the pace we want, but staying on the Road is what it's all about :D Good For You!!!!

I'm delighted that you've gotten your vaccination(s). And I hope the heat eases off and the fires go away. It's all so scary!

You probably saw that I'm moving to posting the WtR on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month (though I'm a day late anyway). I've gotten really busy, too... so this will help me out oooodles.

It's so great to see you and doing so well :D *high five* Stay Safe and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 16 2021, 12:08pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 16 2021, 12:20pm

Post #4 of 13 (1366 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! July 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're doing well and able to get some fun and productive mileage built up. The western U.S. and up into Canada has been experiencing brutal heat and fires, so I hope our sibbies suffering with all of that are safe!

Summers can promise to give us loads of chances to gather a lot of activity and mileage, but I'm finding this year that too many days are more sedentary. So I'm being creative in how to keep moving. Hopefully next month will loosen up on RL distractions and I'll start picking up on Road work!

How are you doing? How has the change in seasons affected your routine? DO TELL!

Back in Middle-earth, The Fellowship and I are several days out of Rivendell on our way to destroy the Ring. Got a LONG way to go!

Hang in there... and I'll see you on the Road! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2021, 5:28am

Post #5 of 13 (792 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to August! I can't believe how this summer is flying by? Have you been enjoying your Quest? I hope your weather has made it a pleasure to get out and about. What has been your favourite activity to accumulate your mileage?

I've been doing a bit of travelling and helping family on the mend. Sadly, my mileage has been pretty pitiful what with being pretty-much settled in my family's home(s) as they're not able to get around much; but we are starting to get in some walks a bit more each day.

It's great that we have so much flexibility in how and when we accumulate those pesky miles. I know I'm counting on it and counting on getting a lot more active in the coming days :)

Meanwhile in Middle-earth, Gandalf, the Fellowship and I are still on our way to Hollin after leaving Rivendell. It's taking forever... but I'm sure it will be a very easy, uneventful journey ;)

Do tell on how you're coming along!!! See you on the Road, and please take care!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 19 2021, 1:53pm

Post #6 of 13 (456 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! August 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're doing well and on the move :D Have you been able to go on any adventures or get into some busy projects? What has been your favourite or most satisfying activity this summer/winter?

This week has been my first chance to really get into some home repair/projects after being on the go with family action since the first week of April. Gutters are on the agenda yesterday and today... tearing out the 30-year-old leaky setup along the back of the house and putting in some wider new ones. The trick has been getting out the rusted, seized in screws of the current set. They don't want to move! But I got the last of them out (20) last night.

I'm also getting ready to put Lobelia to work for the first time!

2014 CubCadet1985 Craftsman

Lobelia is my auction-won Cub Cadet riding lawnmower my son-in-law gifted me during my stay in Baltimore and I carried home on an 11-hr, 600+ mile ride on Bill, my little trailer. Ooooof! I've been using a 20 inch push mower since my old riding mower died spring 2020. This hummer has a 46" blade action and even sports a cup holder!!! :D I feel so stylish! I've gone from 3-4 hrs to mow my acre to just over an hour. SWEEEEEEET! For the past 15 years, I've been using a 1985 mower 40" blade my brother fixed up and gave me... BLESS 'IM! The last year that poor beast gave me was in a cloud of burning oil. Well Done, ol' trooper!

Enough about my exciting summer! How are you doing? DO TELL!

Meanwhile, back in Middle-earth, the Fellowship and I have finally made it to the outskirts of Hollin. Gandalf and Aragorn are having quiet conversations about which direction to take. Very hush-hush and foreboding. For now, I'm happy to let them figure it out :D

TAKE CARE and I'll see you on the Road! *waves fondly*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 19 2021, 1:56pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 20 2021, 3:28pm

Post #7 of 13 (444 views)
Shortcut
I love how you have thematic names for all your stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you use them IRL as well or just here? Honestly, gramma, you sound like such a fun person. Just make sure not to overwork yourself, you're always so busy. So am I at the moment, but most of my work is done behind the keyboard, so it's not too taxing on the body. But it does mean I haven't posted in more than a month, yet again. Anyway, my daily numbers have been picking up slowly, but I still have another 2,400+ km left on my journey to circumnavigate the world.

See you around!

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Aug 20 2021, 3:30pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 22 2021, 1:42am

Post #8 of 13 (420 views)
Shortcut
Fersher :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I do use their names in RL cuz they ARE RL :D I introduced the mower as Lobelia to my mechanic... and he just kinda looked at me. "She's really tough." "Uh... ok."

My SUV (Escape in the Ford) license plate says "hobbity" since 2002. I just can't help myself! I finally finished the gutters today! Now I just need some rain to see if they work.

Most of my job the last 20 years before I retired was sitting at the keyboard... so I totally relate! But Good On You for still finding time to gather your mileage. Not easy to do on some days. And you just post whenever you do. That's totally cool :D

Tally Ho on your Quest around the world!!! And Thanks :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 2 2021, 1:18pm

Post #9 of 13 (406 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! September 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

BOOM! It's SEPTEMBER! Where has the Summer/Winter gone? Actually, Fall is my favourite time of the year when the weather cools down, the tree burst in colour, and the grass stops growing! Getting outdoor projects done becomes my greatest mileage builder when the incredibly hot days fade. These past few weeks I've cut down some trees (had to, sadly), demo'd then installed new gutters on house & garage, cleared weeds and landscaped around the ancient rose bushes/antique field plow, etc. More to come!

How have you been doing on your Quest? Are you driven by the weather on some of your activity, or are you enjoying a routine to gather your mileage? What's your favourite alternative activity to break up the routine? DO TELL!

Remember, it doesn't matter what you do to build your mileage. The point is to keep moving in ways that also helps you knock items off your "to do" list :)

Meanwhile, back in Middle-earth, the Fellowship and I are still walking through Hollin, and it seems the hushed conversations between Gandalf and Aragorn were about a decision of which direction to take as we arrived the feet of the Redhorn and the Pass. It looks like we're climbing and heading for Caradhras. OH GOODIE!

Just a quick reminder that I'm posting WtR on the first and third Thursday of each month, so I'll be back to see how you're doing on Thursday, September 16.

In the meantime... take care and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 2 2021, 1:19pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 2 2021, 5:58pm

Post #10 of 13 (402 views)
Shortcut
Hey! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's got quite chilly here, the heatwaves of June and July seem like such a long time ago. Not that I miss the heat, but to go pretty much straight from too hot to cold is annoying. Anyway, the change in weather has allowed me to return to daily biking, which has considerably raised my daily numbers. So it's not all bad. :) Talking about numbers, I have another 2,200 km to go on my quest to circle the world.

Happy walking!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2021, 12:51pm

Post #11 of 13 (372 views)
Shortcut
Hey!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

BOOM! You're almost done with your Quest at the rate you're going!!!!! *high five* So Awesome! :D

Yeah, I'll bet digging for your cooler weather clothes after sweating a few days before can be very challenging ;) I know I'm doing the same thing this morning.

I'm glad you're able to enjoy biking again. That massive heat just makes it impossible to ride for more than a few minutes.

TALLY HO! And it's so great to see you :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 3 2021, 4:36pm

Post #12 of 13 (373 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I'm going to have to pick up the pace again... [In reply to] Can't Post

or you'll catch up with me, and make me look like a slacker! With the weather finally more comfortable after Ida rolled through, I can do it at least for a little while. I did count storm prep and management towards my mileage, but it's far less enjoyable.

Back in Middle-earth, some of the cheer went out the night Gandalf galloped off with Pippin. It's enough to make even a young hobbit sober up to grim reality.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 4 2021, 4:38pm

Post #13 of 13 (350 views)
Shortcut
Did you ride out the storm ok? [In reply to] Can't Post

*warm hug* Of course the prep would be big-time mileage stuff! Wow! Ida was a monster! Are you okay?

No worries on picking up the pace. At times like this, slow is steady is much better. Good for you on keepin'-on-keepin' on! *more hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.