Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Is Zack Snyder making an R-Rated LotR film?

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 23 2021, 8:28am

Post #1 of 15 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Is Zack Snyder making an R-Rated LotR film? Can't Post

Zack Snyder has never been shy about the influence Tolkien made on him and his movies. But I noticed in interviews for The Justice League, Snyder was mentioning LotR more and more, he really seems to have it on his mind at the moment.

source: https://thedirect.com/...gs-inspiration-scene

I found this interesting at the time, but last week Hollywood insider Daniel Richtman, dropped hints that Zack Snyder is indeed interested in directing a "Tolkien Epic".

source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/...ct-lord-rings-movie/

While the words "Tolkien Epic" are cryptic, and could simply imply a Tolkien-inspired project, it's worth noting that Daniel Richtman is a well known source of leaks by journalists and Hollywood. His prominence means that he only really drops information that he is certain about and that are vague enough to not get him into trouble. So the news could be much bigger than it sounds.

Well, this made sense. Of course Snyder has Middle-earth on his mind if he's working on some big Tolkien-inspired project. I set it aside in my mind, Snyder is probably working on some fantasy film similar to LotR, no big deal. Until I saw this this morning...

New Line Reportedly Wants To Do R-Rated Lord Of The Rings Movies: https://wegotthiscovered.com/...d-lord-rings-movies/

There's little evidence to say this will actually happen, of course. But it does spark some interesting questions.

Could we really be getting an R-Rated LotR?
Is the R-Rating a good fit for Middle-earth?
Is Zack Snyder involved? Is he the right person?
Do we even need more Tolkien movies?
Is New Line planning to remake LotR?

I wonder whether the Amazon series will be more of a prelude to Amazon's own distinct universe, where they plan to re-adapt the books later in their own style, separating themselves from Peter Jackson's versions.

Maybe the future for PJ's Middle-earth will be in a collection of animated series. While Amazon's Middle-earth will be a more complex franchise across multiple media, similar to Marvel and Star Wars? Or perhaps they're all the same consistent universe? How far can they stretch Middle-earth's history with these spin-offs? Or are they planning something bigger? Are they creating a foundation to prove to the Tolkien Estate that they can handle Middle-earth in a more mature manner, in hopes to gain their trust and win the rights to more of the wider material?

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jun 23 2021, 8:36am)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2021, 1:09pm

Post #2 of 15 (1837 views)
Shortcut
It's about time for a remake [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson's Fellowship came out 23 years after Bakshi's movie. It's now been 20 years since Jackson's Fellowship came out. Given the time to get things started and filmed, it's reasonable that something that started now wouldn't come out for another 3+ years.

Of course, given how the movies were spaced out, and extended edition releases, and the Hobbit movies, and the fact that we all have the movies to play at home, etc., it FEELS like Jackson's Fellowship is more current than it really is.

Now, I have no desire for LOTR to get the Hollywood R treatment - stuffing as much gratuitous nudity in as can fit (Game of Thrones...), and I have no knowledge of Snyder, but the right treatment? Yep, I'm in.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jun 23 2021, 2:03pm

Post #3 of 15 (1835 views)
Shortcut
Unreliability of We Got This Covered [In reply to] Can't Post

We Got This Covered is a pretty unreliable site that's full of click-bait. I'd take any story on that sight with an entire shaker of salt until or unless it's been independently verified. As for Zack Snyder's record as a director, here's the films that he's previously directed:

- Dawn of the Dead (2004)
- 300 (2006)
- Watchmen (2009)
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010)
- Sucker Punch (2011)
- Man of Steel (2013)
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
- Justice League (2017)
- Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021; director's cut)
- Army of the Dead (2021)

I find it hard to imagine that Snyder would direct a Middle-earth film that I'd want to watch.

#FidelityToTolkien
#ChallengeExpectations

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jun 23 2021, 2:17pm)

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Jun 23 2021, 5:01pm

Post #4 of 15 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Snyder doesn't do much for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I don't see why "R" rated LOTR films would do much for anyone. I think the studios, from a cynical money-making perspective, would want it to be PG-13 just to get more butts in seats. And from the fans' perspective, there's no need to add more sex and violence.

This seems like clickbait to me.

Chen G.
Gondor

Jun 23 2021, 6:39pm

Post #5 of 15 (1821 views)
Shortcut
I would love [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I don't see why "R" rated LOTR films would do much for anyone.

I would have loved all the live-action films to have been R-rated. The bloodless carnage gets old after a while.

squire
Half-elven

Jun 24 2021, 5:10am

Post #6 of 15 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Bloodless carnage? [In reply to] Can't Post

It does sound like a contradiction in terms.

But isn't it one of the characteristics of Tolkien's style that he writes, basically, bloodless carnage in his battle scenes?

So, if one finds that unsatisfactory or uninteresting or unrealistic, etc., does that mean change a Tolkien adaptation to include more blood? Or does it mean go find other authors to adapt, who provide more realistic gorefests? Or write an original screenplay, in Tolkien's mode of mythic romance but including more gore (or sex, or other elements of 'realism') - just don't append Tolkien's name to the production?

I think it's worth thinking about what it is that makes Tolkien's writing compelling as a source for modern media adaptations, except they can't actually be like what Tolkien wrote.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

MerlinEngine
The Shire

Jun 24 2021, 8:19am

Post #7 of 15 (1788 views)
Shortcut
What Kidz Bop version of Tolkien have you been reading? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Bloodless" carnage my elbow. Shout out to my guys Fingon, Finrod and Turin (and we all know I could go on), who've all died peacefully in their sleep. Wait, or did they?

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 24 2021, 8:33am

Post #8 of 15 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Red fell the dew in Rammas Echor // [In reply to] Can't Post

AshNazg
Gondor

Jun 24 2021, 8:47am

Post #9 of 15 (1787 views)
Shortcut
I didn't want to suggest this as reliable news... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to be clear, these are definitely pretty flimsy rumours and total speculation. My intention was to raise some questions for discussion, with regards to the future of the franchise and what kinds of projects we might see, what tone is appropriate etc.

As for Zack Snyder, I agree. I didn't want to include my opinion in the original post because it was already long enough, but I feel like Snyder's films are far too shallow for Tolkien. He depends, almost entirely, on pretty visuals, and I've personally never found his visuals very stimulating - over stylised and dull.

Chen G.
Gondor

Jun 24 2021, 10:33am

Post #10 of 15 (1768 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It does sound like a contradiction in terms.

But isn't it one of the characteristics of Tolkien's style that he writes, basically, bloodless carnage in his battle scenes?

I don't think there's any contradiction with Tolkien's themes and narrative to have the battle scenes be Gladiator violent, or even Braveheart violent.

squire
Half-elven

Jun 24 2021, 11:35am

Post #11 of 15 (1758 views)
Shortcut
I'm out of my depth [In reply to] Can't Post

I never saw Gladiator or Braveheart, so I'll allow you may well be right.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jun 24 2021, 4:09pm

Post #12 of 15 (1742 views)
Shortcut
No contradiction but unnecessary [In reply to] Can't Post

Battle scenes could indeed be filmed with the kind of carnage present in "Braveheart" or "Gladiator" or perhaps "300" but I don't think they are necessary for the story -- and if not necessary are therefore gratuitous.
Examples in my mind of where violent scenes are necessary to the story would be Sonny's death in "The Godfather", the sniper attack and final battle sequence in "Saving Private Ryan", or the beating John Rambo took from deputies before his escape in "First Blood".
Going back to the OP, the only movie Snyder has done that impressed me was "300". I view his take on Superman and the Justice League like I do Jackson's "The Hobbit" after the "Good Morning" scene (which was fabulous -- it just went downhill from there). I wouldn't rule out watching his movie simply because of the fine job he did with "300" but I'd approach it warily and skeptically because of the rest of his repertoire.

Wainrider
Bree

Jun 24 2021, 4:48pm

Post #13 of 15 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Snyder [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't need more Lord of the Rings movies, unless it will be completely focused on events not covered in the other movies, extraneous stories but I don't know if there are enough. I like how the game war in the north tied in with the movies a bit, but was mostly covering areas not shown in films or shows before.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jun 24 2021, 6:13pm

Post #14 of 15 (1735 views)
Shortcut
There's certainly potential for bloody Lotr (or general Tolkien) scenes; [In reply to] Can't Post

You got Fingon getting chopped in half, whatever happens to Celebrimbor, general battle scenes, Hundor getting a rock dropped on his head, the fate of Beren and Finrod's companions as well as Finrod himself...

I always follow my job through.

Chen G.
Gondor

Jun 24 2021, 6:19pm

Post #15 of 15 (1736 views)
Shortcut
Unnecessary? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Battle scenes could indeed be filmed with the kind of carnage present in "Braveheart" or "Gladiator" or perhaps "300" but I don't think they are necessary for the story -- and if not necessary are therefore gratuitous.

When you start talking in terms of pure necessity in storytelling, I find that it becomes a reducio ad absurdum. Is Donner's summoning of lightening purely necessary to tell the story of Das Rheingold? No, it isn't. But its not a big distraction and its bloody cool, so its in there.

I fail to see how showing the bloodiness of the Medieval battlefield in Braveheart is any less necessary than the pantomime of Sonny's death in The Godfather.

Swordfighting is a gory affair, and should be depicted as such. The Middle-Earth movies do as much as they can within the PG-13 limit, but inevitably a lot of it comes across as bloodless carnage, which kind of takes away from the gravity of the situation.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Jun 24 2021, 6:21pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.