Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Did the valar join the war of wrath? Or did he just send the army?

-Glorfindel-

Jun 19 2021, 4:27am

Post #1 of 3 (951 views)
Shortcut
Did the valar join the war of wrath? Or did he just send the army? Can't Post

Is there any information in all of Tolkien's works that the valar participated in the war of wrath?

InTheChair
Rohan

Jun 19 2021, 6:39pm

Post #2 of 3 (921 views)
Shortcut
To my memory... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tulkas was there and wrestled Morgoth down once he was cornered.

So at least one who was counted among the Valar was there.

Unless my memory is all off.

EDIT: Checking the chapter in Silmarillion, seem my memory is wrong. Can not see Tulkas mentioned by name. Must have been in Morgoths original capture before the coming of the elves

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Jun 19 2021, 6:43pm)

Elthir
Grey Havens

Jun 22 2021, 8:24pm

Post #3 of 3 (880 views)
Shortcut
Fionwe the Fatherless [In reply to] Can't Post

In an early-ish conception, the Valar seem to have sent their children. I guess.

Tolkien never got around to truly revising the end of Quenta Silmarillion but he did make some later corrections to it, concerning which (Christopher Tolkien warns) do not necessarily amount to any sort of final approval of content, however.

Two Tolkienian changes here were (note the second one):

1) "the Light-Elves of Valinor"> "the Light-elves in Valinor" ("kinsfolk in Aman" in the constructed Silmarillion).

2) "the sons of the Gods were young and fair and terrible"> "the host of the Gods were arrayed in forms of Valinor" (1977 Silmarillion "for the host of the Valar were arrayed in forms young and fair and terrible")

Basically what happened is that Fionwe son of Manwe became Eonwe herald of Manwe, and the Children of the Valar became a rejected idea. And then, as I say, Tolkien never got around to fully updating the end section of QS!

Also with respect to the published Silmarillion and Eonwe, the statement: "whose might in arms is surpassed by none in Arda" was an addition from Christopher Tolkien "made in order to prepare for his leadership of the hosts of the West at the Great Battle."

Tolkien himself had described that among the Maiar, Eonwe herald of Manwe, and Ilmare handmaid of Varda, "were the chief."

(This post was edited by Elthir on Jun 22 2021, 8:31pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.