anyone feeling just a little sad?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 4:56am

Post #26 of 75 (5755 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

what the avatars are saying about the person they're attached to?

Except for Tampa Phil's, of course - we already knew he was a rascal with a comedic talent for trouble.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 4:59am

Post #27 of 75 (5781 views)
Shortcut
*Looks at Ataahua's avatar* [In reply to] Can't Post

we already knew he was a rascal with a comedic talent for trouble.

No comment. Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 5:15am

Post #28 of 75 (5768 views)
Shortcut
You can talk, Ms Shapely Legs! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Nomad know you have another robot friend?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 5:52am

Post #29 of 75 (5715 views)
Shortcut
Heaven's no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua: Does Nomad know you have another robot friend?

Before you know it I'd be standing next to 'Robbie Greenleaf' or *gasp* 'Robbie Tinuviel' Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

hatster
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 5:53am

Post #30 of 75 (5752 views)
Shortcut
suddenly had this image of a bunch of little square pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

sitting in a corner talking about those of us who are attaching them to our posts. Having a good laugh at our expense most likely Crazy

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 18 2007, 6:57am

Post #31 of 75 (5767 views)
Shortcut
Do you feel sad when you take off your old undies? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like fresh, clean and new every single time. I don't shed tears when I (or most anybody else) removes their used 'small clothes'. The boards were like that, except they were undies that somebody had worn for years and years.

Sad?! Not exactly. Tongue

If we live in trying times, we must be the ones who try. If the future is looking dark, we must be the ones who shine.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 8:18am

Post #32 of 75 (5772 views)
Shortcut
Not a very good analogy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of us have lost some features we really liked, in exchange for gaining features we really don't care about or even actively dislike. I'm willing to accept that this is a necessary evil, to solve problems with the server, but it doesn't help to liken the old boards to used underwear! Ewww!

LiJuun
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 8:43am

Post #33 of 75 (5750 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I am absolutely feeling sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

What's wrong with clunky, huh? This place looks so different! I thought I was ready for the upgrade, but I wasn't. I'm keeping the link to the old boards in my toolbar for the time being. Just to visit.

I'm sure I'll soon love these boards, of course. I'm just balking a bit. I wasn't expecting that!

Glad it's not just me.

Return of the Punspace:
Coup de grace -- French for lawnmower
(You can thank Aerlinn for that.)

wolfranger
Bree

Feb 18 2007, 10:05am

Post #34 of 75 (5732 views)
Shortcut
Yes, of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel sad. I'm not much for change, personally. I always get used to it though, and then I can't imagine having things any other way! I suppose nostalgia is inevitable.

These new boards sure are pretty and shiny-new though.

Cheers,
wolfranger

Stapper
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 10:37am

Post #35 of 75 (5693 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit sad for saying goodbye to the first forum format I really liked. But then.. nothing lasts forever, and I'll learn to like this place just the same Laugh

FantasyFan
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 10:55am

Post #36 of 75 (5720 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

Change is tough. Getting used to something new is tough. Hopefully, this will feel like home soon, but it doesn't yet. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be bookmarking yet.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

hatster
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 12:43pm

Post #37 of 75 (5746 views)
Shortcut
well, I don't normally meet other people in my undies [In reply to] Can't Post

In any sense of that phraseEvil

So I've got to agree with Aerin, the analogy hardly works. I think Aerlinn's car analogy is more suitable.

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 1:16pm

Post #38 of 75 (5764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MrCere] Do you feel sad when you take off your old undies? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a fair analogy. LOL. Tongue I can't say I miss the old boards at all. These new ones are great!

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

JPB
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 1:19pm

Post #39 of 75 (5735 views)
Shortcut
Re: [a.s.] anyone feeling just a little sad? [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife and I lived in a rented house when we first got married. The distance to our neighbors kitchen from ours was less than the distance from our bedroom to our kitchen - that's how close the houses were to one another. We could hear the neighbors arguing. Also, a stream was located behind the house. This was not a cute babbling brook, but was a stream that handled runoff from rains from the foothills 'way up yonder' - every storm, the cute little stream would turn into a torrent, and we would stand out there with our umbrellas nervously looking at the height of the stream, thinking somehow that by watching it really close, we will prevent it from flooding, as we were having record rains that year. The laundry room was in the big ol' drafty ugly garage. And when it was raining, we would get soaked as we went back and forth to do the laundry.

As we finally purchased our current home, and were beginning to move out, my wife drew a picture of the old house, and had the house saying "WAAAH! I've loved you and cared for you and comforted you and now you're leaving me for somehouse else!"

That captured the feeling perfectly. We loved that old place... because it was our first place... our first holidays were there... the first visits of relatives...

.......but, stepping back, the new house is a lot better.

Remember >>this<< commercial. Sly

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 2:38pm

Post #40 of 75 (5685 views)
Shortcut

I thought I would miss the old boards, too, but since most everyone has found their way over here, I really don't. I'm still having fun with all the new stuff to play with here!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 2:52pm

Post #41 of 75 (5704 views)
Shortcut
Mixed feelings [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with JPB, it's just like moving to a new house. No matter how awful the old house is, it was home for a long time and it's hard to let go. At the same time, the new house is wonderful, but it will take some time to find new places for my stuff and get used to the new traffic patterns.

I do have some anthropomorphic moments when I think the old boards are missing us. But the spirit that inhabits the old boards have moved with all of us, so there's nothing left - even the memories are here.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 3:27pm

Post #42 of 75 (5698 views)
Shortcut

Oh yes. I'm an old dog who doesn't learn new tricks very easily, and all these new features are a little overwhelming. I'm seriously wondering whether I'll be able to participate as much here. (Not that I've been participating a lot on the old boards recently, with the pressure of work and all, but hopefully y'all know what I mean.)

I knew the old boards. I knew how to navigate them. I miss those plain, unadorned, lists.

But seeing all the familiar names here does make it seem less intimidating.

*stiffens quivering lip* I'll catch on, I'm sure, and enjoy the new TORn as much as I enjoyed the old one.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 3:42pm

Post #43 of 75 (5682 views)
Shortcut
what, you didn't know I looked that hot in [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Almost as odd as it feels when I meet someone in person. But all the added color and pics and smilies and stuff oddly affects the way I mentally see you all. Very odd!

heels?

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 3:57pm

Post #44 of 75 (5732 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Altaira] Heaven's no! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Ataahua: Does Nomad know you have another robot friend?

Before you know it I'd be standing next to 'Robbie Greenleaf' or *gasp* 'Robbie Tinuviel' Wink

*closes eyes* I <i>don't</i> want to see that!

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then I had liposuction.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 18 2007, 4:05pm

Post #45 of 75 (5652 views)
Shortcut
Great story! *mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

If we live in trying times, we must be the ones who try. If the future is looking dark, we must be the ones who shine.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 4:28pm

Post #46 of 75 (5739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [[HUG]] back Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all dernwyn's doing Unimpressed. Well, it is another chance to turn a disadvantage into an advantageSmile.
You must be fairly exhaustiated yourselfWink.
I think this will be fun once we all find a way to find and open all the doors. Thank you for your devotion to all of usHeart(with roses,Honeysuckle and spring Hemlock greenery)Smile.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Feb 18 2007, 4:57pm

Post #47 of 75 (5702 views)
Shortcut
I agree, not a good analogy. [In reply to] Can't Post

I preferred (a)Magpie's (from another thread): it's like a new pair of shoes. Where maybe you needed new shoes and you're glad to have them, but they take some getting used to.

(And especially if you're a hobbit not used to wearing shoes . . .)

"I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it." --Gandalf

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 6:37pm

Post #48 of 75 (5658 views)
Shortcut
Yes! happy -sad [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy because everything is so different and sad because the old boards were easier to manage -Im feeling a bit ooer about the new but Im sure i'll get used to them - at least i think I'm sure?? Evil

Patty
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 7:28pm

Post #49 of 75 (5660 views)
Shortcut
I probably would be feeling more sad if... [In reply to] Can't Post

all those posts hadn't been lost on Reunion Fiesta Friday. That just hit me so hard that I'm thinking, okay, that did NOT work. If these long-promised new boards ever materialize I'll be so ready for them. And I was.
If all my TORNsibs weren't here I would have to re-evaluate, as it is, they are not only here, but their posts won't be lost in cyberMorder, either.

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 7:37pm

Post #50 of 75 (5660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Patty] I probably would be feeling more sad if... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
all those posts hadn't been lost on Reunion Fiesta Friday. That just hit me so hard that I'm thinking, okay, that did NOT work. If these long-promised new boards ever materialize I'll be so ready for them. And I was.
If all my TORNsibs weren't here I would have to re-evaluate, as it is, they are not only here, but their posts won't be lost in cyberMorder, either.

I don't know about you, Patty, but I think I'll be more involved on these boards overall, since there will likely be more threads that interest me. In other words, we don't have to worry about keeping the OT chatter down (like we ever did anyway).

Hey, where's Corsair, BTW? Frown

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.