Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
An Unexpected Party - Chat with PJ and GDT!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

May 14 2008, 10:40pm

Post #1 of 132 (7126 views)
Shortcut
An Unexpected Party - Chat with PJ and GDT!!! Can't Post

Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro invite you to a live internet chat about The Hobbit on May 24 (May 25 in Australia/NZ). Peter and Guillermo would love to answer your questions and hear your comments about our new adventure into Middle-Earth. Please register now to make sure you don't miss out on the Unexpected Party and get regular updates on the movies! Follow the registration link for instructions on how to submit a question. Check out the rest chat times around the world, and the text of PJ's letter, below.

Weta are excited to be hosting this one-hour live online chat on our website http://www.wetanz.com/party/register/. Please check the start time for your time zone below:

Los Angeles (Pacific) - Saturday, 24 May 1:00 p.m.
New York (Eastern) - Saturday, 24 May 4:00 p.m.
London - Saturday, 24 May 9:00 p.m.
Paris, Berlin, Rome - Saturday, 24 May 10:00 p.m.
Sydney - Sunday, 25 May 6:00 a.m.
Wellington, Auckland - Sunday, 25 May 8:00 am
See you at the Unexpected Party!

Text of PJ's letter:

Several years ago - it seems a lifetime now - I invited 20 questions from fans right at the start of embarking on The Lord of the Rings trilogy. For me, it was an important and enjoyable moment, when I was able to begin a relationship that helped define our attitude to that unique project. It gave me a sense of responsibility that stayed etched in my brain for the next 5 years.

Well, the time has come again! With us right on the cusp of beginning pre-production on The Hobbit, and its companion movie, it seems fitting to do the same thing again.

It’s also fitting that our director, Guillermo Del Toro, will join me in answering the questions, since he will be bringing his considerable personal vision to these two movies. It’s my moment to hand the baton to Guillermo. It’s time for him to address your concerns.

So this is how it will work: we ask fans with an interest in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings to send one question to this website. Ask us anything! Guillermo and I will select and answer the 20 most common questions, so we can both attempt to address the key issues as best we can.

Our answers will be released during a one hour live web chat, hosted by Weta, with both Guillermo and myself logged on. In addition to answering your 20 questions - for the entire hour, we’ll take additional live questions and chat about the projects with anybody who’s interested.

Please send us your questions and Register for the live chat - and we’ll talk to you in a couple of weeks.
Cheers,
Peter Jackson

-----

Edited by Eledhwen on May 16 NZT: This thread is now a sticky to enable us all to discuss questions to submit. If it's popularity that's going to choose the questions, then perhaps submitting lots of the same few good ones will help those be asked! As there are questions in this thread already it makes sense to stick this thread rather than repeat in a new one.

So let's get our thinking caps on!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Eledhwen on May 16 2008, 6:20am)

weaver
Half-elven

May 14 2008, 10:54pm

Post #2 of 132 (5226 views)
Shortcut
Nifty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm not as caught up in the Hobbit Hype as others around here (I haven't finished discussing the first three films yet!), I'm glad they are doing this.

Who knows, I may even submit a question -- thanks for letting us know we're invited to the party, unexpected or not!

Weaver

Voorhas
Lorien

May 14 2008, 11:00pm

Post #3 of 132 (5227 views)
Shortcut
Not to Be a Nerd... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but it looks like the banner at the top of the registration page is the first "official imagery" for the film that we've seen. Not to imply that's the finished logo or anything!

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

merklynn
Lorien

May 14 2008, 11:16pm

Post #4 of 132 (5242 views)
Shortcut
The art of asking questions [In reply to] Can't Post

At last, the time draws near when we will finally come of this dark period of speculation since the announcement in November of greenlighting of The Hobbit film. I know Guillermo has answered some questions, but this will be nice in that fans can ask some more specific questions and put an end to some of these speculation threads (even if it only leads to more).

For example, things I hope end up getting chosen would be:

"which character is the focus of the second film", and "what is the situation with material from the Unfinished Tales, and how will the copyrights limit the second film in particular?".

I think to be honest those are the only serious questions I have.

I doubt they have decided on anything smaller just yet, such as whether Beorn's beard should brown or black, whether Sauron will be physically represented in anyway, or whether animals will talk on screen, be telepathic, or simply not communicate at all. I think to set some fans at ease, we need to have some clearer idea of what the second film will be about.

Actually, I have some casting questions... "will Liv, Hugo, Cate, and Christopher" be invited back?"

Now I just have to pick which question of all the serious ones I listed, that I think others aren't as likely to ask, so that maybe then it will still get chosen. :-)

vtboyarc
Lorien

May 14 2008, 11:25pm

Post #5 of 132 (5139 views)
Shortcut
exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I already registered and asked a question!!! Its weird how asking the questions is like an online chat thing. I can't wait to talk to GDT and Pete live!!! Its like, a dream come true!

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

merklynn
Lorien

May 14 2008, 11:32pm

Post #6 of 132 (5128 views)
Shortcut
What did you ask? - NT [In reply to] Can't Post

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 14 2008, 11:49pm

Post #7 of 132 (5163 views)
Shortcut
Yea . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish there was an intercessory third-party who was sorting through the questions a little bit.

The "most popular" questions might not be the "best" questions. I wish somebody was going to sort through and find the BEST questions, not the most POPULAR, which may end up being, "Is Elijah Wood going to be in the movie?"

That is a valid question too, but, at least to my mind, the most important ones at this point.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

overlithe64
Rivendell

May 15 2008, 12:12am

Post #8 of 132 (5105 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea what to ask as I'd not want to ask something dumb....but I'd love to be just watch the live Q&A...

I am not obsessed... If I am, I am in excellent company.

YodatheHobbit
Rivendell

May 15 2008, 1:27am

Post #9 of 132 (5134 views)
Shortcut
Yeah!!! THE HOBBIT! [In reply to] Can't Post

CoolCoolCoolIT ACTUALLY SAYS THOSE WORDS ON A WETA SITE!!!!!!! CoolCoolCool

I'll defiantly try to be a part of this chat! That Hobbit site looks awesome! I've registered, and now need to give myself some time to think of a good question.

Heart

It's so great to know I'll be here for the beginning of these movies when I wasn't on torn for the preproduction and production of LOTR.

When the seas and mountains fall and we come to end of days, in the dark I hear your call calling me there, i will go there and back again.

(This post was edited by YodatheHobbit on May 15 2008, 1:30am)

elentari3018
Rohan

May 15 2008, 1:51am

Post #10 of 132 (5084 views)
Shortcut
i've already signed up [In reply to] Can't Post

this is so exciting! :D

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 1:59am

Post #11 of 132 (5105 views)
Shortcut
You should ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the question about the copyright issues. It is a good one!

I'll start thinking of mine!

This is just beautiful!!!

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

(This post was edited by Compa_Mighty on May 15 2008, 2:07am)

vtboyarc
Lorien

May 15 2008, 2:07am

Post #12 of 132 (5111 views)
Shortcut
I asked.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....about will they do an online send in a video thing for casting, like audition for roles

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 15 2008, 2:08am

Post #13 of 132 (5102 views)
Shortcut
This is fantastic!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm waiting for my ancient dialup to process the registration! *raps fingers on table*

I KNEW Peter would drop in for a visit :D This, to me, is the signal that things truly are in motion and the news of cast, locations, production will start! *twitch*

THANKS! *spins in chair*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 2:11am

Post #14 of 132 (5132 views)
Shortcut
It’s my moment to hand the baton to Guillermo. [In reply to] Can't Post

What does this tell you all? Perhaps it would be interesting to ask what will be the actual role of Jackson, and how they will combine their visions. Perhaps I'll ask just that!

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Brass_Ring
The Shire

May 15 2008, 2:12am

Post #15 of 132 (5141 views)
Shortcut
Registered! [In reply to] Can't Post

And ready to go!!!! I do like the title background graphic for the chat room.

StillCrazy
Bree

May 15 2008, 2:15am

Post #16 of 132 (5075 views)
Shortcut
Thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

Of a good question, something about copyright might be helpful, but I want to know many other things. What are the ideas for Smaug for one.

Altaira
Superuser

May 15 2008, 2:22am

Post #17 of 132 (5172 views)
Shortcut
I suspect there's subtext in PJs letter [In reply to] Can't Post

...that they'll answer the 20 most popular questions that aren't just fluff, and/or that they *can* answer (given pre-production hasn't started yet). There will also be more opportunities for this kind of thing than there were for LOTR, so if a question gets missed, it could get picked up the next time around if the answer hasn't yet been revealed.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 2:32am

Post #18 of 132 (5045 views)
Shortcut
Me too :D [In reply to] Can't Post

gonna have to set my alarm though, the chat's starting at 4am my time *doh*. Might see if hubby wants to sleep in the spare room that night EvilAngelic

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

GreenHeart
Rivendell

May 15 2008, 2:52am

Post #19 of 132 (5068 views)
Shortcut
This is so exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't find TORn until after TTT, so I wasn't around for all the excitement before the films. I am so very happy to be here for this! *does a little happy dance* I am registered!

Sunflower
Valinor

May 15 2008, 3:07am

Post #20 of 132 (5135 views)
Shortcut
This is a dumb question but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Never having done a live chat, the "ASK" button doesn't function until the actual chat, right? I mean, is this a "submit question beforehand" thing? , b/c I'm having trouble being able to type it in..won't let me. Am all registered though.

*Told you it was a dumb question...don't laugh PLEASE*BlushBlush

Can you find the link to the 20 Questions for LOTR, or has that been lost? Was it the same thing as the 20 Questions on AICN or was that later? I LOVE nostalgia:)

But Oh Lordy....the first HOBBIT LOGO! And it's PERFECT!!!!! Love the artwork! I'm getting the chills....

On a side note: I've been thinking: where is the media in the US? No Entertainment Weekly articles YET (and they were the ones with a "Middle-earth Watch", no USA Today story, etc. I've only seen blurbs on this whole thing on the Net. Huh?

(This post was edited by Sunflower on May 15 2008, 3:14am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 3:57am

Post #21 of 132 (5071 views)
Shortcut
don't think it's a dumb question [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never done a live chat q&a before either, and I'm sure we're not the only ones *looks suspiciously around* so I'm interested in an answer to your question too.

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Starling
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 7:01am

Post #22 of 132 (4998 views)
Shortcut
And add me to that [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really even know what it is, oh the shame. Blush
I'm off to register now...

Starling
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 7:28am

Post #23 of 132 (5015 views)
Shortcut
How long should you have to wait for the confirmation e-mail? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have registered and it says the e-mail has been sent and I should follow the links in it, but I still haven't received the e-mail after half an hour.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2008, 7:31am

Post #24 of 132 (4997 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, that's early for a Sunday! [In reply to] Can't Post

But doable, I reckon ... at least I know PJ will be up too, just across Mt Vic! Cool

How exciting.

Akaroa jetty, New Zealand, March 2008

Akaroa jetty

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 7:39am

Post #25 of 132 (4980 views)
Shortcut
Got mine straight away [In reply to] Can't Post

has it still not turned up? Might have to try again

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.