Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another serious incident at U.S. Capitol

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Apr 2, 6:19pm

Post #1 of 16 (232 views)
Shortcut
Another serious incident at U.S. Capitol Can't Post

Around the lunch hour, a driver approaching the Capitol ran through the security checkpoint striking 2 Capitol Police Officers and rammed into a security blockade (can be raised/lowered). The male driver got out of the car with a knife and was shot and taken to the hospital and has died. One of the two Capitol Police Officers struck by the car is in critical condition.

The next item is changing/added to... but it's now said the driver cut an Officer in the face after exiting the car. What is not known yet is if that Officer was one of the 2 struck or is a 3rd Officer.

This is so sad! Prayers for the injured Officers and all involved.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Apr 2, 7:21pm

Post #2 of 16 (190 views)
Shortcut
Sad addition [In reply to] Can't Post

The Officer critically injured when he was struck by the car has passed away.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Apr 2, 9:21pm

Post #3 of 16 (185 views)
Shortcut
News of the officer's death [In reply to] Can't Post

was on our late evening news bulletin - so sad. There are some very crazy people out there...

N.E. Brigand
Asgardian

Apr 2, 9:54pm

Post #4 of 16 (194 views)
Shortcut
The whole world is festering with unhappy souls. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's awful, and after the deaths and injuries there in January (and the many arrests that are still resulting from that), the location obviously makes this sad incident more newsworthy, but, I find upon checking, it's not the worst news of the day, not by a long shot: did you know there was a big train derailment today in Taiwan?

I learned that by browsing, believe it or not, Wikipedia, which has entries for individual years. One can look up, for example, "2021" and see a list of global events since January. There is indeed a fair bit of bad news listed there:

January 6 – Rioters attack the United States Capitol, forcing Congress to evacuate. Five people die during the riot, including a police officer and a woman who is shot and killed inside the Capitol building. The event is classified as a domestic terrorist attack and draws international condemnation.
January 15 – At least 105 people were killed and more than 3,000 people were injured after a strong magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck West Sulawesi, Indonesia.
January 15 – COVID-19 pandemic: The global death toll from COVID-19 passes 2 million.
January 26 – COVID-19 pandemic: The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases exceeds 100 million worldwide.
February 13–17 – A major winter storm kills at least 200 people and causes over 9.7 million power outages in the US.
February 20 – 2020–21 H5N8 outbreak: 7 people test positive for H5N8 bird flu at a poultry farm in southern Russia, making them the first human cases.
February 22 – COVID-19 pandemic: The United States becomes the first country to surpass 500,000 deaths from the virus.
February 25 – COVID-19 pandemic: The global death toll from COVID-19 surpasses 2.5 million.
March 21 – Clashes in Apure between Colombian FARC dissidents and the Venezuelan Armed Forces cause at least eight casualties and 4,000 displaced Venezuelans.
March 23 – Ever Given, one of the largest container ships in the world, runs aground and causes a major blockage in the Suez Canal. The resulting bottleneck of ships leads to significant disruption of global trade.
April 2 – At least 50 people are killed in a train derailment in Taiwan.

At least that's the global perspective of some Wikipedia editors on the year's bad events to date. Note that the list doesn't include the two recent and much publicized mass shooting incidents in Georgia and Colorado. It probably won't include today's incident either. (There are separate entries with more lists for specific countries, though.)

But I also want to take a moment to note the list had some good news for 2021, as well (there's also lots of stories in there which I would class as indeterminate, many to do with various global elections, which I will elide), as follows:

January 4 – The border between Qatar and Saudi Arabia reopens.
January 13 – In Lyon, France, the first transplant of both arms and shoulders is performed on an Icelandic patient at the Ιdouard Herriot Hospital.
February 1 – COVID-19 pandemic: The number of vaccinations administered worldwide exceeds 100 million.
February 9 – The UAE's uncrewed Hope spacecraft becomes the first Arabian mission to successfully enter orbit around Mars.
February 18 – NASA's Mars 2020 mission (containing the Perseverance rover and Ingenuity helicopter drone) lands on Mars at Jezero Crater, after seven months of travel.
February 20 – COVID-19 pandemic: The number of vaccinations administered worldwide exceeds 200 million.
February 24 – COVID-19 pandemic: Ghana becomes the first country to receive vaccines through the COVAX vaccine-sharing initiative.
March 5 – Moldova becomes the first country in Europe to receive coronavirus vaccines through COVAX.
March 6 – COVID-19 pandemic: The number of vaccinations administered worldwide exceeds 300 million.
March 18 – COVID-19 pandemic: The number of vaccinations administered worldwide exceeds 400 million.
March 25 – COVID-19 pandemic: The number of vaccinations administered worldwide exceeds 500 million.
March 29 – The ship Ever Given is freed in the Suez Canal.

I am not saying the good news outweighs the bad. Nor am I faulting your decision to post on today's news from the District of Columbia. I am quoting the Kingston Trio.

Wikipedia strikes again: Sheldon Harnick wrote that song? Sheldon Harnick is still alive? One season following another, laden with happiness and tears?

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Apr 3, 12:39pm

Post #5 of 16 (171 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

The world certainly is in upheaval, but it is important to note the positive events while sad/troubling events outweigh them in the news. The transplant, the Arabian spacecraft and the opening of the border between Qtar and SA are some I barely heard about or didn't know at all. That search option is so helpful to keep things balanced.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Wakandian

Apr 4, 12:48am

Post #6 of 16 (157 views)
Shortcut
Wikipedia [In reply to] Can't Post

I've used Wikipedia's current events portal as a news source for many years now, for just the events/information that you mention. I see international news there that even my busy Twitter feed does not pick up. It's a great way to follow the day to day developments of the (sadly) numerous conflicts around the world, most of which have been getting little to no airtime in the US the past four years.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

ElanorTX
X-men

Apr 4, 5:37am

Post #7 of 16 (152 views)
Shortcut
the whole world ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard the Chad Mitchell Trio sing this song in a live concert when I was a young child. I still remember all the words.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

N.E. Brigand
Asgardian

Apr 5, 3:36am

Post #8 of 16 (139 views)
Shortcut
Was this before or after Chad Mitchell was replaced by John Denver? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wikipedia says the original three members are all still living. Denver famously died more than 20 years ago in a plane crash.

I had no idea before now that the trio formed in Spokane at Gonzaga University, whose men's basketball team competes tomorrow for the national championship.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

N.E. Brigand
Asgardian

Apr 5, 3:45am

Post #9 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
Some unexpected good news. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's been a lot of speculation over the past year that Covid lockdowns would lead to an increase in suicide rates, but the 2020 data is now availble of for the U.S., and suicides in this country were down 6% from the average of the previous three years.

N.E. Brigand
Asgardian

Apr 5, 5:06am

Post #10 of 16 (142 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand. [In reply to] Can't Post

To return to Sheldon Harnick, as it were ("On the other hand, things could never get worse, they could only get better"--OK, I know that's the book not the lyrics), I just came across an essay from March 2020, posted at an influential and supposedly intellectual website, which argued that the response to Covid-19 was way out of proportion to the danger. After all, wrote the author, the U.S. has 38,000 traffic deaths and 34,000 flu deaths every year, and even if the coronavirus outbreak were to kill a thousand times as many Americans as had then died, that would only be 40,000 -- and what's more, the writer continued, at least 80% of the "coronavirus deaths [to that date] had been over the age of seventy ... the victims were already nearing the end of their lifespan." So no drastic measures were necessary.

Words fail. That was about three weeks after U.S. government analysts were forecasting that there was a risk of 1-2 million Americans dying because of the pandemic, and six weeks after top U.S. officials' initial worst case estimates, in January 2020, put the potential loss of Americans lives at 540,000. As that Wikipedia list I quoted above shows, in a year, the U.S. recorded over 550,000 Covid deaths. Back to Harnick: "And it won't make one bit of difference if I answer right or wrong."

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Apr 5, 11:26am

Post #11 of 16 (121 views)
Shortcut
That IS good news! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Avenger

Apr 5, 3:29pm

Post #12 of 16 (126 views)
Shortcut
*shudder* [In reply to] Can't Post

The cynicism . . .

I remember early predictions that my state would have 1400 deaths from COVID. We've had three times that so far . . . and we're doing better than many other states. I realized the other day that the statistics add up to 1 in 10 people in the country having the disease. ONE in TEN. My own family and most of my friends have beat those odds . . . we're diligent mask-wearers/distancers. But the two cousins who caught it (just before they were to be vaccinated) look to be long-haulers; two months later Robert says he still can't walk unaided and the brain fog is a real problem for both him and Jennifer. I won't relax until all of our younger members are vaccinated; the news about the new variant that hits younger people hard is very worrisome.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Ataahua
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Apr 5, 6:54pm

Post #13 of 16 (117 views)
Shortcut
Wait, what? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the news about the new variant that hits younger people hard is very worrisome.

I haven't heard about this. Can you share some info about it?

ETA: found it.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/...TXZK2XMSKOLPKHQWMJI/

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 5, 8:14pm)

N.E. Brigand
Asgardian

Apr 6, 6:59pm

Post #14 of 16 (99 views)
Shortcut
There's a Gremlin on the wing of the 737 Max. [In reply to] Can't Post

And now people are getting "forgetful" about the past year.

Just today someone here in my city wrote that lockdowns, quarantines, and other non-pharmaceutical interventions meant to stop the pandemic were wrong because, after all, we don't ban planes and cars just because people die in crashes.

Setting aside that more than ten times as many Americans died from the pandemic than died in car crashes over the past year, and that more than one thousand times as many Americans died from the pandemic than died in airplane crashes over the past year, cars get recalled and planes get grounded when they're found to cause crashes.

(Joke courtesy of a 1993 Simpson episode. Gremlins weren't actually subject to many recalls.)

ElanorTX
X-men

Apr 7, 3:42am

Post #15 of 16 (85 views)
Shortcut
Before... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Chad Mitchell introducing himself as coming from the "apple, cherry, and blue-leaf cabbage center of Washington state."
The first album of the trio that my parents bought was Mighty Day on Campus. I still have some of the group's LPs.
ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Annael
Avenger

Apr 7, 3:48pm

Post #16 of 16 (55 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Mitchell was raised in Spokane, which is way over on the eastern border of the state (and went to Gonzaga, which just lost to Baylor in the final NCAA game). From that description I'd think he was from Wenatchee, which is right in the center of the state and known for fruit, particularly apples. Spokane is in wheat-growing country. Mike Pugh was from Pasco, a ways south of Wenatchee . . . perhaps it's him you remember saying that.

Anyway . . . I grew up listening to them, my older brother was a huge fan of 60s folk.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.