Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Early March: what are you watching?

cats16
Wakandian

Mar 4, 12:42am

Post #1 of 14 (242 views)
Shortcut
Early March: what are you watching? Can't Post

Somehow we're already a couple of days into a new month!

Some highlights from the past month for me:

The Last Unicorn (1982): I'm guessing a few folks here have seen this one, but it was new to me. An animated fantasy film by Rankin & Bass, with voice talent that includes Mia Farrow, Christopher Lee, Jeff Bridges and Alan Arkin. The script is by far the weakest elementómany things simply happen without much context or buildup. But it was an interesting experience, which was made better by the great performances and soundtrack.

Minari (2020): I was fortunate enough to see this at its second public screening last year at Sundance. It is (finally) now available to rent digitally, so I watched with my girlfriend last weekend. She was very touched by it, as was I, even upon a second viewing. This and The Farewell make for a very interesting double feature, considering their place as immigrant/assimilation stories of Asian Americans. And both are definitely "you'll want to call your grandmother afterwards" movies, no matter your age. Highly recommended.

12 Angry Men (1957): I like to rewatch it every few years. Riveting and powerful to this day.

A New Leaf (1971): I'd be curious if anyone else here has seen this one. It was the debut feature by Elaine May, who also starred alongside Walter Matthau. I've now seen two of May's films and it's clear that she is one of the more criminally under-celebrated artists of her era. She only made a handful of films due to the studios essentially blackballing her, but they are very unique and eclectic. This one was quite funny and odd. Walter Matthau plays a rich jerk who, upon running out of money, decides he needs to marry (and perhaps then murder) a rich heiress. The character is very close to a Cary Grant character - it's very strange to see Matthau in this kind of role, at least for me! He and May are wonderful together, nonetheless.

Friday Night Dinner (2011-2020): A very funny (IMO) British comedy that's both cringe and black comedy. The first four seasons are on Prime.

Lastly, we watched LOTR (theatrical) last week. I sorely wished I could have been in a theater for it!

So, what have you been watching lately?

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ataahua
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Mar 4, 1:30am

Post #2 of 14 (217 views)
Shortcut
Wellington Paranormal [In reply to] Can't Post

A TV spin-off from the movie What We Do in the Shadows featuring the clueless yet clued-in cops who advised the original vampire flatmates to install smoke detectors (after one of the vamps burst into flame in a fatal sunlight accident).

Anyway, the show's third season has just started and it's wonderful. Last night featured a creature from Maori legends that I hadn't heard of before, a hallucinogenic rave in a forest, and Rhys Darby popping up in his 'werewolves not swear-wolves' character. Love this show. Smile

BTW Wellington Paranormal screens on BBC2 in the UK (and on their iPlayer), and it's got a US distributor but it hasn't been announced yet.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 4, 1:34am)

dernwyn

Mar 4, 1:36am

Post #3 of 14 (214 views)
Shortcut
Alsophila grahami. [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been ages since I saw that movie (and in the theater). Matthau is always good, but I loved how dorky May made herself.

Was The Last Unicorn the one based on the book by Peter S. Beagle? Never saw the movie, but I loved the book.

Rented On The Town (1949): lots of singing, lots of dancing, lots of typical plot of that era. Fun to see once, but not worth a re-watch. Any recommendations for good Gene Kelly movies?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Avenger

Mar 4, 5:26am

Post #4 of 14 (202 views)
Shortcut
WandaVision [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be sad when the last episode airs this week. This show has been SO GOOD! Elizabeth Olsen is amazing in the title role, but the entire cast is great, and the witty references to earlier sitcoms are so numerous, I confess I've resorted to reading articles on the 'net to get clued in to all of them, as well as enjoying all the various fan theories about how it's going to end/how it will tie in to upcoming MCU movies.

I watched "Belgravia" - did anyone else? I thought it was better than "Downton Abbey," myself.

Still loving "Resident Alien."

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Starling
Asgardian

Mar 4, 5:29am

Post #5 of 14 (201 views)
Shortcut
Watch out for [In reply to] Can't Post

eye-level sticks!!!

Ataahua

Mar 4, 8:37am

Post #6 of 14 (190 views)
Shortcut
The true evil! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Mar 4, 2:33pm

Post #7 of 14 (184 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to get my hands on that series! ;D Enjoy!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi

Mar 4, 8:43pm

Post #8 of 14 (178 views)
Shortcut
"The Empress" and "Resident Alien" [In reply to] Can't Post

A study in contrasts :)

"The Empress" is an historical drama about Empress Maria Theresa. Extremely well made, with fabulous visuals and very good acting, especially in the title role. Maria Theresa's life was so full of drama that anything I thought was a touch over-the-top turned out when I checked it out to have been quite true to what actually happened. It's mostly filmed in the Czech Republic, so we kept looking for palaces, etc, that we've visited.

The original dialogue is in several different languages, dubbed into German when not actually spoken in German, and with English subtitles. Except for the Latin (church rites), which is left untouched. An interesting watching experience. :)

"Resident Alien" needs no further praise from me. A delight.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

cats16
Wakandian

Mar 4, 9:29pm

Post #9 of 14 (178 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't expecting anyone to have seen that one! Very cool. I love the little subplot about the housekeeper, played by Doris Roberts, and her band of thieving house staff who have been stealing money from May's character for years. It's a completely unnecessary subplot on paper, yet it adds richness to May's character. So good!

Yep, that's the one re: Last Unicorn! Beagle wrote the script too, interestingly.

Ah, I watched On the Town for the first time a year or two ago. Agree with you 100%. Hmm, maybe others here are better versed in Kelly - I've only seen the big ones (Singin' in the Rain, An American in Paris). Have you seen the French musicals The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort? Kelly is actually in the latter for a few minutes, which I wasn't expecting but was not disappointed by!

Speaking of French musicals, there's another good one called Golden Eighties. It's by Chantal Ackerman, who was much better known for her experimental/independent films; but this is a pretty accessible, poppy musical set within a high end Paris department store.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Wakandian

Mar 5, 8:33pm

Post #10 of 14 (162 views)
Shortcut
The Black Cauldron [In reply to] Can't Post

Just watched it for the first time. Wow! Very fun and intense for a Disney movie. I didn't mind the pretty obvious influence of LOTR. This at least had a cogent story, which I wish The Last Unicorn had more of. Both fun, though!

dernwyn

Mar 5, 11:08pm

Post #11 of 14 (160 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen those [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, I should put that on my list (along with American in Paris, which I keep forgetting was a movie).

A musical set in a department store? Okay, that sounds quirky enough to be worth a watch! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

cats16
Wakandian

Mar 6, 1:48am

Post #12 of 14 (151 views)
Shortcut
It's fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure where Golden Eighties can be watched outside of the Criterion Channel, but I'd like to think it's findable out there...

Kelly of Water's Edge
Defender

Mar 7, 3:10pm

Post #13 of 14 (134 views)
Shortcut
You might like something I've just watched. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Maximillian", about the Holy Roman Emperor who was a contemporary and ally of Henry VIII. It's a six-part miniseries, with subtitles (from what I was able to make out, it switches between German and French depending on whether the characters are in Austria, France or Belgium).

Mary of Burgundy is in a pickle. Her father has just died, leaving her heir to the Duchy. Unfortunately, since she isn't male, the French King technically has the right to reabsorb it. Although ably counselled by her beloved Stepmom Margaret of York (the sister of England's Edward IV and Richard III who would later back Lambert Simnel and Perkin Warbeck), the stark fact is that she's not going to hold on to her Duchy without a husband.

Enter Maximillian, heir of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III. Frederick needs money - which Mary does have - to repel Hungary's advance on Austria. Her funds and Maximillian's ability to lead her army would be a win-win for both - but can they outflank the French?

Maximillian isn't nearly as well-known worldwide as Henry. What little I knew of him came from vacationing in Innsbruck, where he's omnipresent - the Goldenes Dachl (Golden Roof) from which he viewed processions, Maximilianum underneath with a museum dedicated to his life, and his cenotaph in the Hofkirche - often considered the greatest example of Renaissance sculpture north of the Alps. It's refreshing to see a depiction of what was happening outside England and France during the time period.

As for accuracy, well, basically think The Tudors or The Spanish Queen. A subplot involving their primary servants (not even sure if they were actual historical figures) is included. The political situation is accurately depicted. Mary and Margaret are verified to actually have been as close as suggested. Maximillian's promiscuity is addressed. Some may feel he otherwise comes across as too heroic - for one thing, he was all-in on the antisemitism of the time, and that's not addressed. In other words, enjoy, but read up on the actual history afterwards.

P.S. - Resident Alien is a hoot and I'm also enjoying it immensely.

Kimi

Mar 7, 9:20pm

Post #14 of 14 (126 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the recommendation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.