Come in and join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 5 2021, 5:12pm

Post #1 of 39 (570 views)
Shortcut
Come in and join us for Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Hello, everyone! Welcome to this week's Fiesta celebration. What are we celebrating? Why, making it through another week of course! Laugh

This week, B.G. and I familiarized ourselves with our new toys, Oculus Quest VR (virtual reality) headsets. B.G. actually got his first, but once I stepped into the VR world I was hooked. I thought it was just shoot-em up games, but this week we played mini-golf together on a mysterious pirate island, explored the islands of Myst, and I did a workout where I warmed up on Mars, then danced in various places including a pier in the Malidves and the French Alps. The workouts are real 3-D, 360 degrees with moving water, etc. I really feel like I'm there. At some point, we can even climb aboard the International Space Station and do a space walk. It's great because you clear an area, then draw a perimeter and it then lets you know when you've touched or stepped out of it. Anyway, a very fun toy that will also help us both stay in better shape.

What fun have you been having this week, or have planned for the weekend? The bar is well-stocked, as usual and the buffet is brimming with yummy build-your-own sandwich and salad fixings, so help yourself and let us know!

*kicks juke box* my favorite work-out song, Dreams, by The Cranberries starts to play

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 5 2021, 5:20pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 5:54pm

Post #2 of 39 (527 views)
Shortcut
*ululates to the music* [In reply to] Can't Post

Love The Cranberries. Dolores O'Riordan's death was such a sad shock. Frown

Could I have a mocha Frappuccino, please, Altaira? Sunshine and warmer weather - and they've started tapping the maple trees! Smile

The Wii is so old-school now, isn't it Laugh! I was wondering about that, how the Oculus prevents you from slamming into the furniture. I didn't realize you could do things together with those!

First thing this weekend is to find another B&B for our July trip to Acadia/Bar Harbor. We were just told that the one we'd made reservations at, ended up being sold. Unsure Fortunately it looks like there are plenty of openings at other in-town places, but it's back to having to compare all the houses' information and room descriptions all over again...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 5 2021, 6:13pm

Post #3 of 39 (524 views)
Shortcut
Love the Wii too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tennis and bowling were my favorites. With the Oculus, if you get too frisky you *could* bump into furniture, but you'd know before-hand. if your hand goes outside of the area you've drawn the boundary appears around you in the game so you know you're close, but if a large part of your body goes up against it, or if you completely step outside of it, the whole game stops and you can see the room in black and white with the boundary drawn in it so you can step back inside of it.

At least they let you know about the B&B, although depending on how busy it is, things could be filling up. But, look on the bright side.Even though it's time consuming, looking at different places and doing comparisons is a pleasant way to pass some time.

Speaking of pleasant ways to pass some time, here's a nice, cold mocha frappuccino for you to sip on (the 2nd one is for me Angelic)

Happy weekend!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 6:59pm

Post #4 of 39 (527 views)
Shortcut
That Occulus sounds amazing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely something I'd be keen to have a go with. Nothing like Jazzersize on Mars to get you moving, eh? Cool

I'm watching the skies a little - I have a 9am photo to take (*never* say "Yeah I'm free all weekend" without adding "except at stupid o'clock in the morning") and I'm crossing my fingers that I can get it done before the rain arrives.

I think a hot chocolate with a shot of Bailey's would go down a treat. Thanks, Altaira! Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 5 2021, 7:05pm

Post #5 of 39 (519 views)
Shortcut
Hot choccey and Bailey's, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha! Yes, too early especially for a weekend day. What is the photo for, pray tell? Home and Garden wants to feature your garage paint job on their next cover?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!! Heart

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 7:10pm

Post #6 of 39 (520 views)
Shortcut
We're promoting community orchards [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm taking a pic of a couple of people who volunteer to weed and mulch their nearest orchard as a community project. A nice feel-good story to get out there. Smile

Cheers!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2021, 8:01pm

Post #7 of 39 (522 views)
Shortcut
What an adventure! [In reply to] Can't Post

How cool to enter another world right in your living room... and it's not on TV! Fun!!!! :D

I'm psyched because I smelt a skunk earlier this week AND the syrup-collecting buckets are hanging on the trees in town! BOTH are sure signs of Spring coming soon. SO HAPPY! Until....

...the next morning I watched Pickle run out the doggie door into his fenced in area out the back door and there was a young skunk running away from the fence and into the brush nearby. Oh Geez! So I'm not as impressed with the stink now that I know it's a close neighbour, but I'll be as vigilant with Peppy Le Pew as I have been with the owls and eagles keeping clear of my best little beast.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! And STAY SAFE! There are more than orcs crawling out of wild!

*grabs hot chocolate* Thanks for taking such great care of us Altaira :D and HAVE FUN!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 5 2021, 8:01pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2021, 8:06pm

Post #8 of 39 (519 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the one that was sold [In reply to] Can't Post

will keep the business going and be happy to have repeat customers? That hunt really is a pain. After the wonderful time you had before, it'd be nice to be back in familiar surroundings. But how great to be planning your trip now! What a treat :D Good Luck!

The Cranberries... always such great music. Such a sad time. :(

I hope you have a wonderful weekend... especially with some really great music to keep you company :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2021, 8:08pm

Post #9 of 39 (517 views)
Shortcut
Did you get the shot? [In reply to] Can't Post

The weather will really set the mood, or mess up the shot. I hope you got what you needed :D

Have a wonderful weekend, m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 5 2021, 8:14pm

Post #10 of 39 (518 views)
Shortcut
Le Pew, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I confess, I never thought I'd read these two statements together:

I'm psyched because I smelt a skunk earlier this week AND the syrup-collecting buckets are hanging on the trees in town!

Leave it to you, gramma, to always keep us smiling! LaughLaugh

When she was still with us, my dog got skunked once. I put her in the tub with vinegar and it helped, but the best thing is that the smell dissipated by itself within about 24 hours. I didn't have any experience with it before that (and none since either, thank goodness), so I didn't know what to expect. Still, best to NOT have it happen in the first place!

The syrup, on the other hand, sounds wonderful. Do they sell it in roadside stands &/or in local stores?

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 5 2021, 8:30pm

Post #11 of 39 (523 views)
Shortcut
*stretches, yawns* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiya, Altaira! Sounds like you've got a fun new toy. I haven't tried any of the newer VR headsets, but your description makes them much more appealing. I especially like being able to set those physical boundaries.

Slightly cooler weather here this week. At one point I think my parents in the Midwest had warmer weather than LA. I had a third interview for a job a couple of days ago, so hopefully I'll know something definitive next week.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 5 2021, 8:39pm

Post #12 of 39 (514 views)
Shortcut
*fingers crossed* [In reply to] Can't Post

Heya, cats! If it's a 3rd interview it must be something you're interested in, so best of luck with it!

Yes, the Oculus makes you confirm your boundary each time you power it on. If you're in the same place you just need to confirm it, if you've moved you need to redraw it. Either way, it won't let you proceed until you do. I've seen youtube videos of people falling into things. That might have been with older units. Then again, if you were doing something that made you dizzy enough, the virtual boundary won't save you from the floor. Shocked That's why I prefer to do things that require relatively stationary movement, or that I can do sitting down like the short meditations which are a great way to cool down from exercising.

Cooler weather is pleasant, especially if it's sunny. That's what we're having here with more to follow. Enjoy! Smile

Annael
Immortal

Mar 5 2021, 8:43pm

Post #13 of 39 (519 views)
Shortcut
that sounds so fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried VR once - a version made for older folks in a nursing home, so you don't move from your seat - and got to go for a balloon ride and then on the gondolas of Venice. When I leaned way over I could see the ground or water below us. A great idea for the homebound I thought!

I'd like a version where I could get on my stationary bike and go for a long ride in a beautiful place.

Angel Mist please - we had a glimpse of spring earlier this week but it's narsty out there now.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 5 2021, 8:43pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 8:58pm

Post #14 of 39 (514 views)
Shortcut
No - the rain came [In reply to] Can't Post

so we've postponed it to when it's sunny next week. Apart from photographing in the rain and in dull light, we'd like a pic where people aren't wearing raincoats while fake-weeding. Tongue

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 5 2021, 9:43pm

Post #15 of 39 (510 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, that sounds fun too! [In reply to] Can't Post

A virtual balloon ride sounds amazing, as does a bike ride. One of my favorite things is still to go back to the initial tutorial where it teaches you to use the handsets. When seated, a virtual desk appears in front of you with various toys on it such as paper airplanes, firecracker rockets you can send into the air, and a mini-dirigible you can make putter around.

*mixes up a double Angel Mist*

I hope the weather gets more civilized and Spring peeps through again soon! Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 10:01pm

Post #16 of 39 (509 views)
Shortcut
*sips* Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's fascinating about the boundaries - and seeing the room in black and white if you step out. I should find out where I could try out one of those!

Enjoy the weekend - both real and virtual!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 10:13pm

Post #17 of 39 (510 views)
Shortcut
Alas, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

When the old owner cancelled the reservations, she let us know the new owners were not keeping it as a B&B; if they had been, then all reservations would have still been good. Unsure

This will be the first time we've gone there and not been camping out! We took many a summer trip there with the kids and the old pop-up tent-trailer. We're ready to be spoiled. Laugh

You have a lovely weekend, too! Spring is on the way! Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 10:18pm

Post #18 of 39 (510 views)
Shortcut
No, Pickle. This is not the friend you're looking for. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh gosh, no no no! Laugh

Yes, for a couple mornings this week I smelled skunk while walking out to get the morning paper. I'll have to be keeping an eye out in the late evenings now, that's when they like to snuffle around under the bird feeders!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 10:20pm

Post #19 of 39 (507 views)
Shortcut
Hoping that [In reply to] Can't Post

"third time's a charm"!

Are you getting the rain with the cooler temps? I saw that there was a "plunge" in the weather pattern out your way!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 10:24pm

Post #20 of 39 (507 views)
Shortcut
That would make [In reply to] Can't Post

a great stationary bike ride, if you could "travel" through various landscapes in different countries! How about biking in the Alps? or Antarctica?

Did you get any snow from the cold front, or just rain?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 10:26pm

Post #21 of 39 (508 views)
Shortcut
Uh... [In reply to] Can't Post

...yeah, that would look a lot nicer! Laugh

I know about community gardens, but not community orchards! How are those managed? Does everyone have certain trees they harvest?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 5 2021, 11:03pm

Post #22 of 39 (506 views)
Shortcut
We've got five main public orchards, [In reply to] Can't Post

usually on slopes or in gullies where you can't do much else than plant trees, so why not make them fruit trees? There are also pocket parks or a section of one of our riverside walkways where there's space between the native bush to plant a few fruit or nut trees. The trees are maintained by the Council's parks team but they welcome volunteers who want to lend a hand.

If you see fruit, you're welcome to take them. There's a small issue of people taking fruit too early (before they're ripe) so that they don't miss out, and a couple of people who do a clean-sweep of an orchard's fruit so that they can make jam, but that's not really what the trees are there for.

I've heard that in Dutch towns, it's common to see orange trees planted alongside roads so that locals can collect the harvest. I love that idea. :)

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 5 2021, 11:04pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 6 2021, 1:41am

Post #23 of 39 (488 views)
Shortcut
I'm fairly dizzy prone... [In reply to] Can't Post

when it comes to rides/games, so I would be more cautious if I had the opportunity to try one out. I'm still scarred from a nauseating experience on a tilt-a-whirl from childhood. Angelic But I'd still give the headset a go, if offered.

Thanks! I'm sort of 'wait and see' when it comes to the job itself - best case scenario is that it's a bit dull and repetitive in a sense, but doesn't drive me crazy either. Not thrilled by the pay/benefits, but beggars cannot be choosers right now!

Very sunny here. A bit chilly if you're in the shade due to some wind, yet still refreshing.

Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 6 2021, 1:45am

Post #24 of 39 (485 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had some rain earlier in the week. I thought it was only supposed to be sprinkles, but we ended up having some water puddling in the driveway by the end (not that it takes much for that to happen here!). Unfortunately the experts have said that we aren't getting enough rain for what's supposed to be our rainy season...so the never-ending drought situation certainly won't be better by summer.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 6 2021, 2:33am

Post #25 of 39 (491 views)
Shortcut
Mount Desert Island is wonderful. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more than a day's drive from Cleveland, but my family used to make that journey up to Acadia and camp at Blackwoods or Seawall every few years during my childhood. So much fun hiking up the mountains, searching for aquatic life in the tide pools, and freezing in the waves at Sand Beach.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.