Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 4
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 4, 12:33pm

Post #1 of 45 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 4 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

Welcome to February!! This past week in the US has much of the country either on the edge or in the throes of one massive storm! Much of the Northeastern states are teasing record-breaking snowfall and California lost a massive portion of a popular ocean-side, mountain-perched highway from landslides. I hope if you've been in the path of this very busy storm that you've made it through safe and sound.

How are you coming along on your Quest? Or your project(s)? Do tell on what you've got going on to pass through these months of limitations that are also proving to be great opportunities for accumulating mileage for your Walk. The beauty of WtR is that you can name your own terms and enjoy your own successes :)

Meanwhile, back in Middle-earth, Bilbo, Gandalf and I have reached The Floating Log in Frogmorton. I kind of like how we're enjoying these comfy respites more often as we get closer to home. Then it's not such a dramatic cross-over from blankets on the ground to a mattress in a room.

I hope you stay safe, keep hiding from the virus, and keep busy :) See you on the Road!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

NottaSackville
Justice League

Feb 9, 7:49pm

Post #2 of 45 (1733 views)
Shortcut
Well, well, well. Long time, no Walk for me - so starting anew! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to - almost a decade ago! - participate in Walk to Rivendell threads. I can't believe it's been that long. Thanks for keeping this going, gramma, you are truly the heart of TORN!

From 2005 to 2011, I walked from Hobbiton to Rivendell, joined the Fellowship walking through Hollin, hiked through Moria, bade Gandalf farewell and see ya soon, marched to Lothlorian, floated down the Anduin (sighting logs with eyes in the dark), broke the Fellowship, got hauled by orcs with Merry and Pippen, rode with Quickbeam, stormed Isengard, hunted throughout Rohan with the 3 (now 4!) hunters, met and released Theodan, defended Helm's Deep, returned to Isengard, and finally joined Gandalf and Pippen on a desperate ride to Gondor! Sadly, they had to continue on without me as I lost track of Shadowfax in an area called the Fenmarch and my walk finally petered out at roughly 2400 miles.

But now, 10 years later - some unfortunate number of pounds heavier, and joints creakier, I start again!

I'm going to use the same system I used last time - convert each exercise I do to "miles walked" based on how many calories I burned during the exercise and how many calories it takes to walk a mile.

Since my goal is to both get in better shape and lose weight, and I tend to snack heavily at my desk in the afternoon and in the evening, I'm also taking credit when I avoid snacking - I've figured out an average number of calories when I snack, converted that to how many miles I'd have to walk to burn those calories, and counting those as "miles walked" when I don't snack.

I started yesterday, and so far I've left Bag End, crossed the Great Road, entered Tookland and looked back longingly on the lights of Hobbiton.

Miles traveled this week: 9.4
Miles traveled in total: 9.4

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 10, 3:14am

Post #3 of 45 (1722 views)
Shortcut
Great Plan!! *waves howdy!* [In reply to] Can't Post

So great to find you on the Road! You never know who you'll bump into, right!? :D This is great!

I'm going to use the same system I used last time - convert each exercise I do to "miles walked" based on how many calories I burned during the exercise and how many calories it takes to walk a mile.

Since my goal is to both get in better shape and lose weight, and I tend to snack heavily at my desk in the afternoon and in the evening, I'm also taking credit when I avoid snacking - I've figured out an average number of calories when I snack, converted that to how many miles I'd have to walk to burn those calories, and counting those as "miles walked" when I don't snack.

What a great plan! Our Quests are free to be personalized, which makes them easier to stick to. Your formula looks great! I hear ya on the affects of time. I've been battling the bulge like crazy... and I've had a losing (not losing, though) battle over the past few months; but I'm back on board. I love using the charts, so I'm anxious to see how your journey goes.
Thanks lots, Notta! It's great to have you Questing along :D *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

NottaSackville
Justice League

Feb 10, 12:33pm

Post #4 of 45 (1695 views)
Shortcut
Socially distant elbow bump! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 11, 12:26pm

Post #5 of 45 (1662 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're safe and sound and avoiding the weather/virus challenges we find everywhere this week! It's definitely keeping me on my fuzzy toes! There's something about the deep-freezing air, however, that is always so stunning... how sharp and clear the air is! Such brilliant sunrises and sunsets as I look out my windows and across the farm fields. Incredible!

Are you able to get along on your own Quest? Whether inside, outside, winter, or summer... you have the freedom to be creative and keep on the move any way you will. I'm *urp* cleaning and sorting through rooms that makes Bilbo's place look minimalist!!! Charging into years of storage and mathoming are like battling a dragon around here!

Meanwhile, back in Middle-earth, Bilbo, Gandalf and I are finally back home in the Shire! We had to break up an auction and sent out some youngsters throughout Hobbiton to tell anyone who bought Bilbo's belongings to please bring them back. Surely there will be some who will look for a bit of a profit in their reimbursement! It's so great to be home. The relief is indescribable. It's strange to experience adjusting to being back in your own home; but after being away and going through so many adjustments... everything seems to have a surreal quality to it.

Do tell on how you're coming along. Just be sure to stay safe and keeping hiding from that virus! See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 11, 12:26pm)

NottaSackville
Justice League

Feb 11, 7:53pm

Post #6 of 45 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Wow - congrats! That's a long journey!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Way to make the round trip, gramma!

For myself, I just reported earlier in the thread a few days ago. I've made some progress but hit no new milestones since we broke camp outside of Hobbiton.

And the snacks are calling me, so I need to stay resolved!

Miles traveled this week: 16.8
Miles traveled in total: 26.2
Total pounds burned off/avoided: 0.63

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 11, 11:48pm

Post #7 of 45 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Congrats back atcha! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're doing the hardest part right now, imho! Getting started and reprogramming your day is the absolute nastiest part of this. That's my biggest struggle! You have resolve, though.... so I know we'll both keep going :D *elbow bump*
TALLY HO!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 19, 6:45pm

Post #8 of 45 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

BOOM! Here we are landing past February's half-way point! I'm already on the countdown to Spring here in the northern hemi. I've been watching the horror of what's been happening with Texas and other southern states that are facing prolonged freezing temps when their infrastructures (home frozen pipes, no plow trucks, etc.) are not prepared for it. Texas has been facing blackouts due to power grid failure, leaving residents with no heat or water for days at a time. The power is trying to come back on in areas, but there's no promise that it's stable. I hope our Texas/southern sibbies are okay as the freezing temps and storms move northeast toward NY/Boston once again.

Here in Michigan we've been lucky. I've accumulated a lot of my mileage this past week with snow shoveling. I've done some serious pile building along the driveway and mailbox (out at the road in rural locations) 4 times this week (1 to 1.5 hrs each time) when I did a total of 4 times all last winter. The length of the driveway is the equivalent of 3.75 bowling lanes (77 yards) end-to-end and 10 ft wide. I really like shoveling because I'm fighting the (pretty) elements, getting some massive exercise throwing shovel-fulls of snow, and I can look at the finished product and get great satisfaction on seeing how macho I've just been :D oooooorah!

How are you coming along on your Quest? Are you enjoying inventing the next step as you go along? I love how organic each of our journeys are as we can create as we need even on the move :)

I'm *urp* still cleaning out a room that has been VERY SLOW going. Of course it has nothing to do with me procrastinating or deflecting. I'd never be that obvious *looks off into sky*; but I'm heavily into it now and am delighting in completely destroying the rest of the house as I clear things out. The cats are loving having a new room to explore that they never knew existed ... and Pickle keeps trying to hide his toys in dark little hidey-holes. Fun times at the Old Bag's End!

I've also restarted my LotR Walk to Rivendell Charts having complete Bilbo's Quest last week. My last full-LotR journey took 4 1/2 years (1/2015 to 7/2019), and the one before that was just over 3 years (7/08 to 10/2011), and the one before that was my very first step out the door that took 4 3/4 years (3/2003 to 12/2007). So I should know the Road pretty well. Anyway, Pippin, Sam and Frodo are waiting for me near the hedge... so I'll be on my way. I always feel like I'm forgetting something when I head out *checks pockets*.

Stay Safe and I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 19, 6:46pm)

dernwyn
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Feb 19, 7:25pm

Post #9 of 45 (1477 views)
Shortcut
What in the world [In reply to] Can't Post

are you finding in that room, gramma? It's obvious your menagerie is enjoying your efforts! Laugh

Just be careful when shoveling - the light fluffy stuff is fun, but not the compact slushy stuff. You must be able to lift 50 lbs easily!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

NottaSackville
Justice League

Feb 19, 9:38pm

Post #10 of 45 (1473 views)
Shortcut
My, my, that's a lot of shoveling! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure you'll be passing me soon with all that work.

This week we traveled from Hobbiton, visited the nice Mr. Maggot, got a ride on a cart and a ferry, took some baths in Crickhollow, tramped through the woods, and have just found a pleasant little river named the Withywindle. This hiking thing is fun!

Miles traveled since last report: 67.4
Miles traveled in total: 93.6
Total pounds burned off/avoided: 2.3

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Wakandian

Feb 19, 11:23pm

Post #11 of 45 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Still at it, I promise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Life has become even more difficult and uncertain here, but I've always tried to get in as much mileage as I could under the circumstances. It helps a lot. Though I could really do without earning so many of those miles with a snow shovel. *sigh* Normally, I wouldn't mind, but the snow has been dang inconvenient this winter.

Haven't done the math lately, but I hope this river journey ends soon, too.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 20, 2:53pm

Post #12 of 45 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Actually... there was high drama! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in the kitchen when Pickle started frantically barking in protection mode. He came running to get me to lead me back to the room (in Lassie mode)... his hair all standing on end and really upset! We go back to the room and he starts barking again looking about 5 ft up. He found my Gandalf standee and thought it was a person :D Poor little soul!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 20, 3:03pm

Post #13 of 45 (1415 views)
Shortcut
That's a great walk in the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

Even with shortcuts ;) Though I hear the woods and water have a bit of an attitude ;) Nice thing about a Maggot visit are the mushrooms!
Great stat count! You really are getting in your stride and making all that effort count. *high five* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 20, 3:11pm

Post #14 of 45 (1413 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the beauty of this Walk, it's organic and conforms to us, not us answering to some schedule. Guesstimates are cool and encouraged. We just keep on going :D

You definitely don't want to get hurt shoveling snow. There's been a lot of it, so too much work can beat up your muscles. Your safety comes first! *high five* Hang in there :D And I'll see you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Feb 20, 6:06pm

Post #15 of 45 (1405 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, that is hilarious, he must have been afraid that the Wizard would turn him into something "unnatural"! Laugh

So did you properly introduce them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 21, 5:37pm

Post #16 of 45 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I patted Gandalf on the shoulder and said "Good boy" and picked up Pickle to introduce him. Pickle wasn't impressed, but he was satisfied. Gandalf was stoic, but I think I saw him wink.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Asgardian

Feb 24, 5:25pm

Post #17 of 45 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Checking in after three and a half years! [In reply to] Can't Post

I completed all the LOTR and The Hobbit challenges back in September 2017 and haven't posted here since. But I've continued to walk/run/cycle/... as well as record my progess till this day. I've added another 20,478 kilometres (or 12,724 miles) to my tally during this time, which takes my total up to 35,101 km (or 21,811 mi) covered since 3 January 2015. I'm now less than 5,000 km away from completing a trip around the world (the circumference of the Earth is 40,075 km (or 24,901 mi))!

I haven't been anywhere but the shops every two weeks for almost four months now (and we're hitting record numbers here again, so that doesn't seem likely to change any time soon), so life's rather dull at the moment, though I suppose that ought to be seen as a good thing during times like these. Still, one's got to push on, both literally and figuratively. Hopefully in the summer I'll actually be able to walk somewhere, but till then the familiar roads must do. I've taken up bird watching (sort of) to try to spice things up a bit and seeing how spring isn't far away any more (yay!), then there should be a little more excitement in the air in a few weeks!

I'm glad you're still going strong, gramma. Happy walking, everyone!

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 25, 12:56pm

Post #18 of 45 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! Hi worldly traveller!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy your walk brought you here! You really have kept at it! It's doesn't matter how many times we post or how long our travels keep us from posting... the point is that you're still on the move and making such great strides! *bows low* WELL DONE!!!

It is hard during these restricted times to feel the freedom to come and go as and where we want; but that will make the freedom that's coming all the more gratifying. I think you're right that this summer will be a lot different.
*high five* I love the image of walking around the world and am sitting here smiling like a fool just thinking of it! Sweeeeeeeet!
Stop by whenever you can... and keep on truckin'! See you on the Road! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 26, 4:33am

Post #19 of 45 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

As we make our way through these last days of February, I hope you're having a good time on your Quest! There are so many ways to mix it up and keep you moving forward as you collect your mileage. Even just doing everyday chores and activity counts! I've even tried to keep track of how much effort I put into lifting spoonfuls of ice cream; but it hasn't worked out so good... so far ;)

What is your favourite method of activity? Here in the northern hemi, we're beginning to think about Spring looming on the horizon. That certainly makes it a lot easier and enjoyable to get outside and go on some real adventures. Somehow, my treadmill just isn't doing the job anymore in terms of imagination-stirring. *sigh* But soon I'll be playing outside again on several projects I have in progress or am planning. What are some of your plans? DO TELL!

Meanwhile, Pippin, Frodo, Sam and I are trekking across the fields and forests of the Shire on our way to Crickhollow. Sleeping on the hard ground is so much fun! *kaff*

*waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Mar 4, 2:31pm

Post #20 of 45 (938 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! March 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope this first week of March finds you on the march and enjoying what will hopefully be some mild days no matter where you live on this big blue marble ;)

Spring is absolutely moving in on Michigan; and I was especially stoked to see syrup-collecting buckets hanging on the Sugar Maple trees in my little farm town and I smelt a skunk yesterday!!! :D BOTH are my first indicators that Spring and warmer weather are coming over the next few weeks. So I've already started taking some walks on the dirt roads out my front door and will add on miles as the thermometer climbs up.

How are you doing on your Quest? Remember that every activity you have adds to your count and ups your mileage. It also inspires you to keep going and possibly add variations to your effort. Nothing like a little inspiration to make this more meaningful and fun :) You gotta have fun now and then!!!

The hobbits and I have joined up in Crickhollow and are on our way into the forest just through the hedge gate. There's always something ominous about that sound of the gate clicking shut behind us. It's more like locking us into the wild world rather than locking the us out of the Shire. *shudder*

I hope you have a great week... and remember to stay safe! *waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Asgardian

Mar 4, 6:38pm

Post #21 of 45 (932 views)
Shortcut
Hello! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've added another 140 kilometres (or 87 miles) to my tally in the last eight days, taking my total up to 35,241 km (or 21,898 mi), which means I have 4,834 km (or 3,004 mi) left in my quest of circling the world.

My monocular arrived on Monday, so I've been out testing it (it's awesome!). Birds I've seen so far: magpie, nuthatch, willow tit, great tit, raven, blue tit, great spotted woodpecker, yellowhammer, great grey shrike, crested tit, greenfinch. Not a bad start!

Happy walking, everyone!

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Mar 5, 12:29pm

Post #22 of 45 (890 views)
Shortcut
Well Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Both on the mileage (WOW!!!) and the wonderful array of birds you've seen already! Seriously... How much fun is that?! Do you find that the various types prefer specific trees or brush or near water or sit high/low in the branches? This always fascinates me :D

Do you have a spot on the globe where you started (I'm assuming home) and where you are located at your rest stops? I love the thought of circling the world. Wouldn't it be great if you could do it as a bird? What a view!

Happy Hunting... and Tally Ho!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Asgardian

Mar 5, 2:04pm

Post #23 of 45 (888 views)
Shortcut
Cheers! [In reply to] Can't Post

During snowy and cold winters like this the best place to see birds is around the bird feeder. Some prefer eating at the feeder, like tits, some on the branches nearby, like nuthatches, some on the ground (now that we no longer have cats), like yellowhammers and greenfinches. Also, there's a huge pile of pine and spruce cones under a large willow right next to our house where a woodpecker loves to snack.

I actually only recently discovered I wasn't that far off of circling the world. Before that I did the LOTR and The Hobbit challenges, then I travelled across virtual Europe (starting from my home in Estonia, through Poland, Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, the Balkans, Greece and Turkey, all the way to Jerusalem, as in a proper pilgrimage!). I'm currently journeying in Tolkien's home country, England, with an eye on visiting Scotland and then making my way back down to London where I set off from, though the "world tour" is now the big, overarching goal. I can't decide whether it's ironic or funny or comforting that it's coinciding with the pandemic and a time of closed borders etc., but I guess it's an appropriately weird thing to think about during these odd times.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 5, 2:07pm)

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Mar 6, 3:24pm

Post #24 of 45 (844 views)
Shortcut
"appropriately weird" [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yeah... I love how it coincides with the pandemic. I think YOUR version is a great counterpoint to what we're dealing with :D Great observation!!! *still smiling* You're on a very cool journey, my friend!

And I love it that you're just watching your bird feeder. There's a whole world of wonder right there to see! I have the same thing going on... but I always worried that I was just setting the buffet for my outdoor cat. *worries* So I moved the feeder further away from the window and next to the driveway. At least there's more open country where the cat can't hide on the porch or behind a pile of snow. ;)

Cheers!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Mar 12, 4:01am

Post #25 of 45 (678 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! March 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope this week's visit finds you feeling great and enjoying good food! There's nothing like a vat of ICE CREAM to make the day sweeter :D Can you tell I'm on a diet? *sigh*

How are you coming along on your Quest? The one way to keep putting one proverbial foot in front of the other is to have a target and a trophy waiting for you... like a 3-layer cake. *twitch* You know what I mean ;) It's been nice enough outside this week that I've spent some time working around the yard and took down my snow fence by the road. Here in Michigan, we normally have at least one more abusive snow storm before the real Spring weather moves in, so I'm not going to do any planting for at least 4 more weeks. How are you keeping on the move? Remember to give yourself a little reward for a job well done just because you can!

Speaking of food... the hobbits and I have found refuge in the most excellent home of Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. Good food, good stories, and the joy of warmth and safety. If there was pizza, it would be perfect!

Take care... and I'll see you on the Road!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.