Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Sets pots of tulips outside the door* Come join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Guardian of the Galaxy / Moderator

Feb 27, 1:28pm

Post #26 of 49 (218 views)
Shortcut
That's weird. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can understand about the PlayStation - maybe it got upset because the disc was not a game? Angelic But that's weird about the Blu-Ray.

Hey, that roomie sounds like a true "keeper"! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua

Feb 27, 6:10pm

Post #27 of 49 (212 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad that some of you are getting your Covid shots [In reply to] Can't Post

and making plans for meeting up with people again! Slowly but surely the shackles of Covid are loosening.

But in saying that, our alert levels have risen again this morning after another case in Auckland. I'm across the island from home and will be driving back this morning (about a six-hour drive, if I don't take a wrong turn like I did on the way over here.Crazy) It's been lovely and hot here in Napier. I've caught up with friends and yesterday I had was what genuinely the best icecream ever (double chocolate chip, FYI). Just delicious. And I have a bag of golden queen peaches to take back with me to turn into jam. I'm happy!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone .Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Annael
Avenger

Feb 27, 6:44pm

Post #28 of 49 (210 views)
Shortcut
I'll just add [In reply to] Can't Post

that when you do use it, it helps a lot to laugh maniacally or say things like "DIE WEEDS DIE!"

Release your inner dragon!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 27, 6:46pm)

cats16
Wakandian

Feb 27, 7:09pm

Post #29 of 49 (205 views)
Shortcut
Strange, indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I've barely played that disc, otherwise I'd assume it's badly scratched.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Altaira

Feb 27, 8:18pm

Post #30 of 49 (202 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're too funny. I'll take that under advisement.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Kimi

Feb 27, 9:39pm

Post #31 of 49 (207 views)
Shortcut
Home again! [In reply to] Can't Post

We got home on Friday from our latest adventure, three weeks in the South Island. We had a great time, with only a couple of days of weather too wild to be outdoors, and some excellent kayaking and hiking.

Pictures here.

Back home, and doing a mountain of laundry :)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Justice League

Feb 28, 9:48am

Post #32 of 49 (187 views)
Shortcut
Poor Pickle! [In reply to] Can't Post

You must have been so worried. What a hoot if he ended up with his fifteen minutes of doggy tv fame, though! Not necessarily what you want on a trip to the vet, but an interesting experience. Hope you had your jab yesterday.

dernwyn

Feb 28, 1:54pm

Post #33 of 49 (176 views)
Shortcut
So did you get back home okay? [In reply to] Can't Post

And how do I order a sample of that ice-cream online? Smile

Ooh, peach jam, what a happy task lies ahead of you! Cool

dernwyn

Feb 28, 1:56pm

Post #34 of 49 (179 views)
Shortcut
I don't know how [In reply to] Can't Post

you managed to stay there only three weeks, such a gorgeous area!

And that kea looked like it was ready to hitch a ride with you! Laugh

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 28, 3:39pm

Post #35 of 49 (176 views)
Shortcut
Got my Covid shot, yes! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

As usual there was drama involved, but a happy ending!!! I got the Moderna vaccine.

I got to my 12:45 appt an hour early just to make sure I knew where to sign in, then planned on running some errands nearby. They told me they thought they could get me in early and to "wait over there". COOL! I waited. waited. waited and watched 5 others who came after I got there get signed in, get their shots and took off. I figured they were the assigned appts that should go first. It got to be 12:40 and I had jumped in line to make sure I was in the works. The young man signing people in forgot to do my paperwork (as the others had done) and forgot I was there... eventho I was standing in full view at a goodly distance since 11:40. So he got me in and put my paperwork on the counter where the others were lined up for the pharmacist to grab in order. I finally got my shot at 2:00. *sigh*

The young man apologized for the delay. I jokingly said, "I was just hoping you wouldn't run out!" They were SO busy since he and the pharmacist were the only ones there when they had someone call in sick. That pharmacist was handling prescriptions pulling up to the drive-thru window and the front desk, filling prescription orders, and giving the shots... so I really understood how it happened, but I'll admit that after waiting on pins and needles for so long... I was very anxious. I waited the 15 mins afterward... a bit teary with relief I'll admit.

I'm armed now (pardon the pun) and am feeling no after effects at all... just a sore arm. I followed dernwyn's tips of being hydrated and eating something fatty. ICE CREAM! My next shot is on March 27.

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 28, 3:54pm

Post #36 of 49 (174 views)
Shortcut
Dynamic shift *sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

So much is affected by people coming and going. Hopefully your newbie is familiar with how you've had things so far and can be encouraged to be a positive presence. Good Luck!
I hope the job works out. Having that settled would be great, but still just a stepping stone to where you'd like to be.
SO... your girlfriend and you have had the 3 viewings! How did it go? Did it spark any conversations of book vs film? DO TELL!
I hope your Grandmother gets her place for the shot soon. I'm glad your Mom is covered now. I got my first shot yesterday (Saturday) and found it through the pharmacy/store Rite Aid. Their site breaks down where to find appointments by a listing of the states participating... and I thought I saw CA in that list. MOST of the people I've talked to that finally got their shots was through Rite Aid. Here in Michigan, every Friday they got more supplies and would open their site for appointments. Give them a try if you have Rite Aid in California. If not, check the other pharmacies online to see if they're participating with the Federal Program to distribute vaccine through local pharmacies. GOOD LUCK!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 28, 4:28pm

Post #37 of 49 (171 views)
Shortcut
How fun to meet up with old friends :D [In reply to] Can't Post

So did you have any flash-forwards on what your conversation WILL BE with former co-workers when you finally get your freedom? How much fun was that lunch!?
Great choice on the Coldplay tune. And I hope your weekend has been much more pleasant weather-wise than you've had for quite a while. ENJOY!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 28, 4:38pm

Post #38 of 49 (171 views)
Shortcut
*ears prick up* Did you say Ice Cream? [In reply to] Can't Post

*drool* Is it something you can get in your local store? That could be great... or very dangerous!

I hope you made it home okay.... which I really have no doubt you have. SO CAPABLE! I always leave at least 30 mins early so I have time to get lost. Every single time I'm grateful I did ;)

Even though there's been another alert level lit up, I'm so glad you're feeling some relief from those shackles. AND I'm glad the weather for your trip was so good!

ENJOY your season... and stay safe!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Feb 28, 4:55pm

Post #39 of 49 (171 views)
Shortcut
Mountains everywhere! [In reply to] Can't Post

And now on the floor properly sorted. The only downside of your adventures, but such a small price to pay for such incredible memories. I'm always so happy when you guys get to escape and have such wonderful times together :D NZ couldn't have better ambassadors! Thank you for such great moments through your pics and videos. Always such a joy to see :D I'm glad you're home safe!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua

Feb 28, 7:21pm

Post #40 of 49 (164 views)
Shortcut
It was a very quick trip back, [In reply to] Can't Post

a little less than five hours. I dunno - maybe it's downhill from east to west? Tongue

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Ataahua

Feb 28, 7:23pm

Post #41 of 49 (164 views)
Shortcut
Apparently they supply a national fast-food chain [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'll have to have a look around. Cool

In Reply To
*drool* Is it something you can get in your local store?

I'm really glad you've got your vaccination! That must be a huge relief for you. And I know what it's like to be forgotten by medical people while you wait, and wait - frustrating, isn't it?

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn

Feb 28, 10:04pm

Post #42 of 49 (161 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a former tech-team (those of us at the school involved with the computers and/or daily news broadcast) member who bought us lunches - salads and pizza! Got up-to-date on her hassles with dealing with her parents' estate (mainly cleaning out and selling the larger of their two houses; the other which she's keeping is a cottage near the shore, and will need massive renovation, but will make a perfect retirement home).

It's been cold and drizzly. I made a big batch of applesauce yesterday (spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves). Today we played Wingspan, which uses "eggs" for some of its playing pieces; these are about the size of the Cadbury mini-eggs, so I got a bag of those (dark chocolate) for our "eggs". Whenever we played one and had to remove it from our individual board, we ate it! Laugh

What an adventure you had, getting that shot! One down, one to go! Cool

cats16
Wakandian

Mar 1, 3:35am

Post #43 of 49 (145 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like the ideal trip. Glad you enjoyed!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Wakandian

Mar 1, 3:44am

Post #44 of 49 (141 views)
Shortcut
All's well that ends well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad everything ended up working out with your shot - even though it sounds like it was a bit shaky there for a bit! A big sigh of relief, I imagine!

My grandma surprised me Saturday morning with great news: she and my step-grandfather got their first shots on Thursday and Friday, respectively. She found it via Walgreens, which is apparently the pharmacy people in their area are having the most luck with. He had a slight headache later that day and she didn't even have a sore arm afterward.

The movie watching went well! She read the books for the first time a couple of months ago, so I think she has a much better appreciation for the depth of Tolkien's work. We watched the theatrical cuts, and she made a comment when, in FOTR, the film cuts from the ferry escape on the Brandywine to the hobbits' arrival at Bree - "wait, that was like 80 pages of book they just skipped!" Angelic.

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Mar 1, 12:19pm

Post #45 of 49 (129 views)
Shortcut
Good news everywhere! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

AWESOME your g'parents got their shots! Relieved is a smallish word for it.... but how wonderful they're on their way to added protection against the virus!
And AWESOME your girlfriend read the books and enjoyed the movies... and I giggled that they noticed the *burp* in the storyline :D I love her participation and that she appreciates Tolkien's world!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Avenger

Mar 1, 12:23pm

Post #46 of 49 (130 views)
Shortcut
Yummy gaming! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a perfect game for a pre-Spring day :D
As soon as you mentioned the cottage on the shore... I was, like, KEEPER! Wouldn't that be wonderful? Even fixing it up would be healing and inviting. A great start to a new life chapter.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn

Mar 1, 1:15pm

Post #47 of 49 (129 views)
Shortcut
They did? [In reply to] Can't Post

Both got their first shots? Big sigh of relief! Smile

Annael
Avenger

Mar 1, 4:49pm

Post #48 of 49 (122 views)
Shortcut
I so enjoyed your pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

on Instagram. Would check every day: "where is Kimi today?" And even looked up some of the places. Fun vicarious trip!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 1, 4:49pm)

cats16
Wakandian

Mar 2, 1:03am

Post #49 of 49 (114 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I woke up to her text thinking she said "we're getting our shots," then realized she was telling me they had already gotten them. I've had several friends whose grandparents/older parents have told them after the fact, as well. We young folks stay up all night trying to get them appointments, and they manage to do it themselves and tell us about it the next day. Sly I'll take it, however it gets done!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.