Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another Fiesta that's Out of This World!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20, 12:56pm

Post #51 of 68 (133 views)
Shortcut
Jealous! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a stack of books building up, for when I can finally not bother with the 5:30 a.m. alarm! Laugh (For me, the pandemic meant lots of time to do repair and cleaning of the books in the school library where I work.)

Neil Gaiman is fantastic! Having multiple reads is the best way to do it, you have something handy for whatever "reading mood" you're in. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20, 1:09pm

Post #52 of 68 (134 views)
Shortcut
Fear of the unknown [In reply to] Can't Post

Not surprising that people would have that fear, so many had no idea or could not comprehend how the vaccine worked. I can just imagine some wack getting the inoculation, then turning to his friends and saying, "Mooo...".

So glad about the mountain snowpack, your area has been in dire need of it!

There's one with Marvin the Martian? I've gotta go find that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20, 3:28pm

Post #53 of 68 (134 views)
Shortcut
*warming hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you're okay, but what an ordeal! All the state's torment is hard to fathom. Yeah, heard about the flight south. That kind of cold over so many days is traumatic. I had the power go out in an ice storm for 3 days, came back on in the 4th with ice-covered roads... so my heart was breaking for Texas... especially for those who lost loved ones and homes are destroyed. I even had coats on my dogs. It's the reason I put in a fireplace and store loads of food/water just like you did. *high five* Well done! Smart lessons learned from living in the north ;)

I hope you can reschedule your appts/zoom. It looks like it will be a long time before life gets back to normal. So many stores' shelves are completely empty! It would be a good time to have a plumber in the family.

Hang in there, m'dear... and thank you for letting us know how your are. Please keep us updated. *more hugs*

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20, 3:34pm

Post #54 of 68 (129 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahaa! B'uh-dum-dum [In reply to] Can't Post

Good One! I'll have to try that. Although I have had deep-fried vanilla Oreos! Green beans! Pickles! Yummy!
They should make a special red-coloured-chocolate Mars bar in celebration.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20, 4:03pm

Post #55 of 68 (126 views)
Shortcut
All the best on the job hunt [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always such a nasty unknown when you're hunting for just one little spot in this wide-wide world! Hopefully it will be exactly something you can be excited about doing and is a bridge-builder for your future experiences.

Pizza is almost as good as your g'daddy getting his first shot! What a relief... especially once he gets his second. That one isn't so stressful because you know it's a done deal and you have a date/time set.

I hope you have a great weekend... and good luck on the hunt!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20, 4:20pm

Post #56 of 68 (124 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... close call [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad it wasn't as dangerous as it could have been; but it's because tptb are so aggressive in their response to any threat. I'm hoping we'll develop that same strong prevention in our near future.

Good times with family is always so great! I'm glad you had the chance to hang out and have some laughs. Isn't it wild how hard we can laugh at the stuff we did in our youth?

I hope you have some very fine weather over the next month or two. I know when I was there in March (2010/2018), it was fantastic cool-ish weather. I've been going through and tagging the thousands of pics I took during my 2010 Wellington visit, and I can feel and smell what it was like to be there. I've actually cried thinking of being there that makes me so long to be there again. I think of it all the time. It's like I have one foot here and one foot there. March is a glorious month, imho... so I hope it's kind to you this year (especially compared to last year).

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20, 4:21pm

Post #57 of 68 (122 views)
Shortcut
ohhh... that sounds perfect :D ENJOY!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20, 4:44pm

Post #58 of 68 (127 views)
Shortcut
Mooooooooo. I never noticed ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on getting your second shot! FANTASTIC! I'm glad you didn't have a harder reaction. This second one really gets the body cooking on building the Covid force field. My daughter got quite sick, but my sister had a milder reaction. What a relief to have this part of your pandemic journey DONE! *massive hug*

Such great news to hear about the snowpack being so deep! Hopefully there won't be any bad fires and the irrigation won't be a hassle. I hope it's that way clear to the south. The west definitely needs a break :D

Have a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Feb 20, 5:10pm

Post #59 of 68 (124 views)
Shortcut
A red Mars bar? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see that causing disagreements between fans of Liverpool and Manchester United football teams, actually... they'd both want to claim it for their own, but would hate to be seen eating the same thing.

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 21, 3:18pm

Post #60 of 68 (102 views)
Shortcut
Iím in Maryland [In reply to] Can't Post

and itís our second ice storm this year. I donít mind snow and cold but I hate the ice. I was fortunate to get a delivery of firewood Wednesday evening so me and my dogs are toasty warm.

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 21, 3:22pm

Post #61 of 68 (105 views)
Shortcut
That is horrible // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 21, 8:06pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21, 5:52pm

Post #62 of 68 (93 views)
Shortcut
Another log on the fire! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 21, 6:47pm

Post #63 of 68 (102 views)
Shortcut
"The Big Short" and "The Day After Tomorrow." [In reply to] Can't Post

I was reading an Atlantic article about the grid failure, which included this passage:

"It reminds me of The Big Short," Daniel Cohan, an engineering professor at Rice University [in Houston], told me, of Texas's natural-gas crisis. "You had the best and the brightest, the financial wizards of Wall Street, that knew how to put togeter a portfolio that was diversified." But they didn't foresee that a single massive crisis could tank the value of mortgages across the country simultaneously, taking their portfolios with it.

Likewise, Texas "had a system that depended on one fuel alone, natural gas, to provide two-thirds of our supply when we needed it most in the winter," Cohan said. Then "an Arctic blast hit all our components at once," and the energy system cracked apart like Lehman Brothers [the financial services firm that collapsed in the marget crash that trigged the start of the Great Recession 13 years ago].

(There were a lot of claims circulating several days ago about a failure in wind energy leading to Texas's grid issues, but as I'm sure you know, that wasn't true.)

But the movie that first came to mind for me was The Day After Tomorrow, the environmental thriller from 2004 starring Jake Gyllenhall and Dennis Quaid, with Ian Holm in a supporting role. It was understandably derided for having pushed its theme to absurdity (and I'm not keen on a movie that endorses burning all the books in a library), but the underlying premise looks familiar: global warming paradoxically causes a fierce winter storm that drives Americans to cross the border into Mexico.

Glad to hear you came through it without too much trouble! But watch out for your next electricity bill; some people report being gouged.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 21, 6:55pm

Post #64 of 68 (102 views)
Shortcut
I had no idea that Lindsay Buckingham sang "Holiday Road." [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't be the only one who thought of National Lampoon's Vacation.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 21, 8:08pm

Post #65 of 68 (91 views)
Shortcut
** Posts in this sub-thread were edited due to political content [In reply to] Can't Post

One was 'collateral damage' for responding to the political content.

PLEASE respect our rules and take politics elsewhere. Thanks!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

cats16
Valinor

Feb 21, 8:14pm

Post #66 of 68 (88 views)
Shortcut
Yuck! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good that it was the fluffy stuff, though. My mom threw her back out last weekend shoveling some nasty heavy snow.

Last night my mom said my grandfather was in a bit of a panic, as he was starting to not feel very well (slightly ill and very hot). My mom tried calming him down and explaining that it was the vaccine working. I can see why you might worry if you're not fully in the loop re: potential side effects, which I think was the case here. Haven't heard anything worse so far today, so I'm thinking he's feeling better.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Feb 21, 8:19pm

Post #67 of 68 (88 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear you dodged the worst of it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Keeping you in my thoughts, Elanor. Heart

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22, 3:01pm

Post #68 of 68 (70 views)
Shortcut
Day After Tomorrow eerily foresighted [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes me worry about World War Z and 2012!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.