The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
LOTR Total war

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Feb 18 2021, 11:48pm

Post #1 of 6 (8561 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Total war Can't Post

Now that CA is done with warhammer, what fantasy should be next? what other then LOTR TW. If your a gamer come over and vote.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/283219/poll-fantasy-setting-you-want-for-next-total-war-after-warhammer#latest

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 8 2021, 5:48am

Post #2 of 6 (4252 views)
Shortcut
Sorry so late here [In reply to] Can't Post

As a long time TW player (Medieval II Kingdoms is still my favourite) I’d love to see something like this.

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Oct 8 2021, 2:45pm

Post #3 of 6 (4237 views)
Shortcut
med 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Med 2 was my favorite as well. Have you ever played the third age mod for med 2? It is still the most popular TW mod ever made.

“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). I like gardens, trees and unmechanized farmlands; I smoke a pipe, and like good plain food (unrefrigerated), but detest French cooking; I like, and even dare to wear in these dull days, ornamental waistcoats. I am fond of mushrooms (out of a field); have a very simple sense of humour (which even my appreciative critics find tiresome); I go to bed late and get up late.”
J.R.R Tolkien

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 8 2021, 3:07pm

Post #4 of 6 (4238 views)
Shortcut
Never played [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember paying attention as it was being developed, looking at screenshots, reading forum posts, etc. But at the time I was leery of mods and user created content in general, probably owing to experiences around file sharing on Halo 3 and hacked lobbies in Modern Warfare (ancient history I know). I could see that a lot of effort went into the mod, but admiring it from afar seemed the safest thing, to me, at the time. Besides, when I was feeling like an immersive LOTR gaming experience, I was more than satisfied with Battle for Middle Earth and its iterations; and apart from the sometimes frustrating AI, Med 2 satisfied a specific longing just as it was.

Edit to add: but as a longtime fan of the series, I actually keep an old windows 98 system running just to play Medieval 1 and the original Shogun titles!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 8 2021, 3:19pm)

Tolkien R.J.J
Rivendell

Oct 8 2021, 3:19pm

Post #5 of 6 (4235 views)
Shortcut
Play it [In reply to] Can't Post

I highly recommend playing it. Of course, it's not 100% LOTR TW but it comes very close. It was a lot of fun. I played multiple hotseat campaigns aginst my kids, great fun.

But perhaps more than third age I would recommend the board game War of the Ring by areas games. Nothing immerses you more into Tolkien's world than War of the Ring. It is a lore acurate grand stretegy game

https://www.aresgames.eu/games/war-of-the-ring-line

There is also an online comunity on steam that plays TT simulator. They ever remade the pieces to look like the movies. I havent played in ahile but it was great to play others across the world, even if they whipped up on me.

J.R.R Tolkien

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 8 2021, 5:22pm

Post #6 of 6 (4231 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the recommendations! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.