Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Hollywood's MGM appoints finance chief to help build film fund, bolster production

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 14 2008, 3:46am

Post #1 of 4 (864 views)
Shortcut
Hollywood's MGM appoints finance chief to help build film fund, bolster production Can't Post

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. said Tuesday it has hired industry veteran Bedi Singh as its finance chief and head fundraiser for upcoming films, a further sign it is ramping up efforts to produce its own movies.
The studio, taken private for nearly $5 billion (€3.23 billion) in 2005, aims to establish a fund to co-finance its upcoming films, including "The Hobbit." The first installment of that series is scheduled for release in 2011.
Singh, a former Sony Pictures chief financial officer, will lead financing efforts.
"It's no secret that we've been looking for additional film financing for MGM movies," spokesman Jeff Pryor said. "That's going to be a key part of his role."
MGM has been trying to turn around its movie production business since its revived United Artists subsidiary, headed by Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner, flubbed on its first production attempt with "Lions for Lambs" last year. The movie cost $35 million (€22.62 million) to make but has yet to turn a profit.
The studio hired former Universal Pictures production vice-chair Mary Parent in March and then quickly announced it had acquired the film rights to Robert Ludlum's book "The Matarese Circle" and Ben Wexler's comedy screenplay "Bobism."
Since the 2005 leveraged buyout by private equity firms Providence Equity Partners and Texas Pacific Group, Sony Corp. and Comcast Corp., MGM has generated revenue primarily through distribution of independent fare such as The Weinstein Co.'s "Halloween" last year.
It is now aiming to bolster its production lineup, take a greater stake in movie production and reap more of the profits.
United Artists already has a $500 million (€323.14 million) credit line from Merrill Lynch, but MGM is seeking additional financing partners for its movie slate, which includes future "James Bond" and "Pink Panther" sequels.
Thought a few ppl might be interested.

cheers Kelvarhin

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Patty
Immortal

May 14 2008, 5:17am

Post #2 of 4 (763 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting confused.. [In reply to] Can't Post

is the first movie coming out in 2010 or 2011?

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 14 2008, 5:20am

Post #3 of 4 (750 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

everytime I do a news check the year changes Crazy I suppose we'll find out as it gets closer or maybe gdt will confirm it for us in one of his posts later on.

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Sunflower
Valinor

May 14 2008, 6:18am

Post #4 of 4 (818 views)
Shortcut
I'm willing to bet 2011. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of the 2010 stories were written before the writer's strike and Tolkien Estate lawsuits threw a monkey wrench into the production time frame. But the waiting is easier, now that we know things are going forward.

As to MGM financing new films....I imagine that having "the Hobbit" with The Lion logo before it, even if only internationally, is generating a lot of excitement from the currently moribund studio. (Cruise's Valyrie is plagued with all kinds of problems and could very well flop.) The overall boxoffice take for TH is expected to be so great, that the studio will make a windfall even after Warners and the theaters take their share. So now they can plan for the future.

Hopefully they use a bit of that money to build a Picturehouse of their own, to replace what was lost.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.