Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
One Million B.C.

CMackintosh
Bree

Jan 16, 9:47am

Post #1 of 8 (166 views)
Shortcut
One Million B.C. Can't Post

I've just watched it, and unlike Queen Victoria, was very, very much amused. And now I have a reference for the volcano scene in The Return of the King - it's much more realistic in tRotK. Though I did find the nano-tyrannosaurus and the pterorists (pterosaurs with "humanitarian", not vegetarian, intent) and the triceratops a bit grating, since they ceased existing well before a million years B.C.E., and a fully grown triceratops is considerably larger than a rhinocerus, which Ray Harryhausen seems to have modeled it after.

If Sir Peter Jackson wants to play around with trashy old films as with King Kong, etc., he could do much much worse than a remake of One Million B.C., though by this time Raquel Welch is past her best. He could add to the prehistoric monsters not yet known to have menaced our ancestors - I nominate the Tomatosaurus Rex, the Dianasaure Regina, and Hippotatomus to add to the line-up of prehistoric monsters.

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 17, 11:08am

Post #2 of 8 (129 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen it, or if I have I don't remember it - which is just as well [In reply to] Can't Post

given what you've said about it, but I SO love the idea of a tomatosaurus rex and hippotatomus! They really should have existed... given the fascination of dinosaurs for small children, I can imagine a very funny book featuring such creatures. They would have to have lived in the kitchenian era.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 17, 2:13pm

Post #3 of 8 (124 views)
Shortcut
my younger brother [In reply to] Can't Post

had the poster with Raquel Welch in a fur bikini up on his wall for years.

That's all I know about that movie.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jan 17, 7:43pm

Post #4 of 8 (114 views)
Shortcut
The poster for One Million BC [In reply to] Can't Post

was used in Shawshank Redemption to cover the hole Andy make when digging out of his cell.

And I don't remember seeing the moving.... Raquel Welch was not a big drawing card for me at that time.... and my mother would only take us to drive in Disney movies....my brothers, me and a carload of kids from the neighborhood and then it was release the horde ....

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 17, 11:32pm

Post #5 of 8 (101 views)
Shortcut
Childhood Memories. [In reply to] Can't Post

It played fairly often on TV during my childhood, along with Dinosaurus! (my favorite, although I always got upset at the fate of the Brontosaurus), Journey to the Center of the Earth (Gertrude!), The 1960 Lost World (now best known for animal cruelty - the infamous "dinosaur fight" was between a monitor and caiman forced to battle in earnest) and the Valley of Gwangi (always hated the scene with the poor elephant).

Terribly inaccurate all, but they were part of being a kid in the 60's and 70's. We had a long way to go before Jurassic Park.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18, 12:05am

Post #6 of 8 (99 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Channel 10 in Rochester (NY) used to show old sci-fi and monster movies on Saturday afternoons. One Million Years B.C. did show up every so often, along with the usual Universal horror films, Ray Harryhausen movies, kaiju flicks, etc.

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 18, 12:09am)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 18, 12:25am

Post #7 of 8 (95 views)
Shortcut
I forget the specifics. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I saw the kaiju movies (Godzilla franchise, Gamera franchise and the X from Outer Space) via the 4:30 movie on WPIX after school, and the Universal Monsters with my Grandma via PBS's Cinema 13 programming (late night Saturday during school summer break). Not as sure about the Harryhausen and Dinosaur movies.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 18, 2:52am

Post #8 of 8 (83 views)
Shortcut
More old movies on TV. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that Buffalo, Channel 2 (WGRZ) used to have an afternoon movie block too. I watched Mothra there once when I was home sick from school. I also recall them airing Sinbad movies as well as Jason and the Argonauts (love that skeleton fight!).

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.