Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15, 5:13pm

Post #1 of 45 (367 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone, and a warm welcome to Fiesta Friday no matter what the weather looks like outside. We have a beautiful, cool morning outside with a bit of snow rumored for Monday.

If you missed it, this week Amazon gave TORn exclusive permission to report about a top secret synopsis of their Middle-earth TV series that TORn happened upon. It was posted on the Home Page during a TORn Tuesday episode dedicated to it. Here's a link to the Home Page story, and a recording of TORn Tuesday featured on our facebook page. I'll also post the text of the synopsis below. There's not a huge amount, but it's packed with more tidbits about what will be on film! Last, but not least, head over to the LOTR TV discussion board to read other comments on it so far. Pretty exciting stuff!

So, do have a pass at the buffet, order up your favorite virtual libation, and let us know how life has been treating you!

*kicks juke box* play us some of your favorite movie sound-track music!

Have a wonderful weekend, all! LaughHeartSmile

Amazon Studiosí forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earthís history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkienís The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkienís pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Nķmenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 15, 5:32pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15, 5:27pm

Post #2 of 45 (331 views)
Shortcut
It's a good thing those TORn Tuesdays are recorded [In reply to] Can't Post

So I can take my time to watch them! Smile Hm, you didn't tell these folks that certain well-known nicknames pop up on it, did you? Angelic I do hope this bodes well for future information releases.

Cloudy with impending rain, here, Altaira, so may I have a mug of your best full-caf coffee, please? Looking forward to a three-day weekend! Our current jigsaw puzzle is a bright summer scene by a lake, lots of colors in it. We work these without looking at the cover - makes it a bit challenging!

*puts quarter in juke box* Let's wake everyone up with some Indiana Jones fanfares!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15, 5:44pm

Post #3 of 45 (325 views)
Shortcut
Full-leaded, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I might join you! I feel like I still haven't properly woken up this a.m.

Three-day weekend? What's the occasion? It will give you time to finish that puzzle without looking at the picture, lol. I have a beautiful new puzzle of an owl that I got for Xmass that I can't wait to get started on (see below). First, I have to clear the dining room table of decorations being staged to be put away for the year.

Yes! When I accepted the invitation to tune in to TORn Tuesday I had no idea I'd be on-screen (even in just a small video 'box') for a lot of the 1 1/2 hour show. I set up in the kitchen too, so poor B.G. had to do without any snacks or drinks for the whole time, lol. next time I'll set up on my upstairs office desk with my Tolkien collection on the bookshelves behind me. I usually don't work there because I like having the light come in from the kitchen window as I work, plus my two big screens are set up here.

Stay dry and have a wonderful weekend!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15, 5:53pm

Post #4 of 45 (325 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! Is that Hedwig? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's going to be a challenging puzzle! We have a card table set up in our enclosed porch to keep the puzzle out of harm's way.

We have MLK Jr. Day off on Monday. Some staff have been here picking up our easy-level biographies of him to read to the kids on Tuesday.

LOL, poor BG! That would have been so cool to see your Tolkien collection.

Stay warm and enjoy the weekend!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15, 6:00pm

Post #5 of 45 (326 views)
Shortcut
A mimosa and a massage, please barkeep. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm partway through repainting the garage and my body's feeling it. The first two days of work were on the hottest days of the summer so far (great timing) so I took yesterday off to rest and quietly mutter to myself. I'm back to it this morning, starting to put the first of the top-coats on, but I'll only do half-days so that I'm not so sore at the end of it. It'll take longer to finish, but I still have another week of leave before I get back to work so there's still time. Smile

Anyway, it's meant to be raining tomorrow and I'm looking forward to being forced to do nothing!

It was a lovely surprise to see you, entmaiden and deej on the TORN Tuesdays stream - not to mention Calisuri and Xoanon, Quickbeam and the rest. I really enjoyed the enthusiasm. I admit I"m still in 'wait and see' mode about the coming TV series but seeing you guys' enthusiasm (not to mention the possibility of seeing Moria and the creation of the Witch-king) has got me a bit more pepped for it.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone! I hope you're all well and safe where you are in the world. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15, 6:13pm

Post #6 of 45 (319 views)
Shortcut
Big project! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you painting both the outside door and inside walls? I guess I should ask whether it's attached or detached. Either way it sounds like a very big job! We did most of the reno of my childhood home during the summer months and the place doesn't have A/C. I got used to having bad hair days every day, lol, as my fine hair wilts in the heat when I sweat.

It *was* really fun to see everyone on TT and to hear their comments. I'm one of those eternal optimists, but admittedly also have some wait-and-see in me too. There's so much they're going to have to make up! Luckily, apparently the Tolkien Estate has at least some veto power, so that's keeping me on the optimistic side.

A whole 'nother week off? I'd say I want *your* job, but now that I'm semi-retired I think I'll keep my day job. Laugh

Happy painting! I'll send by a nice-looking Numenorian each afternoon for said requested massage. Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15, 6:21pm

Post #7 of 45 (321 views)
Shortcut
I'm painting only the outside. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a detached building and I had it partially rebuilt to remove the aged-to-the-point-of-slowly-falling-down sections. Luckily I'm tall enough (and the building's low enough) that I don't need a ladder, just a step-stool while doing the top trim.

Even with just the base-coat on, the garage is looking miles better than it was before.

Yeah, I've taken four weeks leave since Christmas - I got the hard word from HR that I had to get my leave hours down. A tough call, but I acquiesced! Tongue

Oh, and thanks for the Numenorians. Very thoughtful of you. Angelic

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My LOTR fan-fiction

Annael
Immortal

Jan 15, 6:45pm

Post #8 of 45 (316 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I took yesterday off to rest and quietly mutter to myself

sometimes that's necessary!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Annael
Immortal

Jan 15, 6:55pm

Post #9 of 45 (323 views)
Shortcut
quiet day! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm enjoying a three-day vacation from my dad who is visiting my sister. Yesterday I cleaned the house and then watched a couple of episodes of "Flight Attendant" and finished Season 1 of "His Dark Materials." Today I'm doing some random projects and also one last rehearsal of a lecture I'm giving tonight via Zoom. Every time I rehearse I move stuff around for better flow and am happier with it, but at some point I know I have to STOP. "A poem is never finished, only abandoned" . . . if an academic lecture can be said to be poetic.

Really hoping to hear that we can get the vaccine next week! Several of my friends have had their first shots already, mostly folks in the healthcare field, but friends who live in less-populated areas and are my age have also managed to get theirs. I'm reading about how it will still be six weeks until we can feel a bit braver about venturing out . . . which will take us to a full year of being locked down. The home stretch! We are being if anything more careful than ever. My cousin who is in a care facility came down with it last week and said he could neither stand nor walk, but he got the monoclonal antibody treatment Tuesday and we are waiting to hear good news.

It's a raw day out there so I'll have an Angel Mist please!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15, 7:19pm

Post #10 of 45 (315 views)
Shortcut
Quiet days are good! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always nice to have a little 'alone' time, especially if you don't get the opportunity that much.

It would be great to get the vaccine as early as next week! B.G is higher risk than I am, but neither of us are in the highest risk categories, so I'm happy to wait a little longer to let those that really need it go ahead of us. Our lives have adjusted so that we don't go out much anyway, but we do have some travel plans we'd like to see happen later in the year.

Good luck on your lecture! I guess once the Zoom meeting starts you'll have to stop messing with it! Laugh

Happy weekend, my friend! Smile

cats16
Valinor

Jan 15, 9:51pm

Post #11 of 45 (306 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to TORn for the exclusive! [In reply to] Can't Post

If only they had agreed to share the working title of the show, so the discussion board for it could get a proper name. Angelic I'm like many here: will stay optimistic in the meantime while knowing there's a high mark to hit. If nothing else, I'm sure some new Tolkien fans will come out of it, which is good for all involved.

Here in LA we're hitting 85 degrees *gasp*. Very sunny and still. I took a nice, long walk, which was much needed. Unfortunately I have some allergies that are now kicking my butt, as a result!

I learned a couple of days ago that my dad has shingles *cringes*. Has anyone here had them/have any tips? He's not in total agony but, of course, is in some pain. He's on some steroids and has cream, which I hope helps some. Thankfully my mom should be getting her first Covid shot by early February!

Wishing everyone a happy and sunny weekend!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15, 10:31pm

Post #12 of 45 (302 views)
Shortcut
This stopped me in my tracks. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
which will take us to a full year of being locked down.

A whole year of restricting your movements and social interactions. Good on you for that commitment, but so frustrating that it's been necessary.

I've got my fingers crossed that your vaccinations start really soon. You've certainly put in the hard yards to earn them!

My LOTR fan-fiction

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15, 11:02pm

Post #13 of 45 (296 views)
Shortcut
That's too hot for taking a walk! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd melt in 85-degree weather! Shocked What's in the air there that's kicking up the allergies?

Speaking of heat, what's this latest round of wildfires that've popped up? I had hoped you'd be free of those for a few months!

Shingles - yes, *cringe*! I hope the meds and cream work well for him, there's not much else that can be done, maybe bathing the area with a colloidal oatmeal type of soap? You can thank all the parents "back then" who'd have chicken pox "parties" so their kids would all get it and then be immune. I've had my Shingles double-shot, two shots two months apart, crossing fingers that it works!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15, 11:08pm

Post #14 of 45 (297 views)
Shortcut
Best of luck with the lecture! [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the topic?

Sending prayers for your cousin, hoping the treatment works, the poor guy! It's so important to get your Dad vaccinated as soon as possible. My school's requested the doses for each staff member, but don't know yet when we'll be getting it.

Did you get that blizzard that just made a mess in the mountains?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15, 11:11pm

Post #15 of 45 (296 views)
Shortcut
Ouch. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a lot of continuous motion for the arms and legs, painting for that long! But good that it's coming out well. What colour will it be when finished?

cats16
Valinor

Jan 15, 11:36pm

Post #16 of 45 (295 views)
Shortcut
No humidity, at least [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what makes 85 here more tolerable for me. And now that I look at my phone again, it's actually 89 out now Smile I'm not sure, re: allergies! It's not windy at all and it doesn't appear the pollen count in the area is super high. My grandfather has terrible allergies, sometimes up to 20 sneezes in a sitting - I fear I'm slowly becoming him! Angelic

I actually haven't looked into that fire too much. It's out near Ventura County, but my sense is it's not threatening homes as much as it did earlier in the week. The bigger concern is the hot temps, which the experts have said could cause more fires with the winds. Let's hope not - we should be getting rain this time of year instead!

Gotcha. So far it's all below his chest - I've heard it can be total agony if it's anywhere near one's head/face. I know both of my parents had chicken pox, but I'm thinking my mom will be looking to get the shingles vaccine after having witnessed this! Oof.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jan 15, 11:38pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 16, 12:14am

Post #17 of 45 (291 views)
Shortcut
White with dark blue trim. [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll look cute when it's finished. :)

My LOTR fan-fiction

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 16, 1:23am

Post #18 of 45 (284 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That garage is going to look great; but have your muscles recovered from your zip-zoom? I'll bet that's part of the "discussion" your muscles are having with you right now ;) You're smart to only work on it during the cooler part of the day.

Oh... and pssssst:

I posted on the Pavlova dessert you talked about. Here's the link to it. It's not only tasty, it's fun to eat!! :D THANKS!

sample

We have been there and back again.

Join the "Tolkien Fandom Oral History Project"

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 16, 2:23am

Post #19 of 45 (281 views)
Shortcut
Yay! It looks great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad the recipe worked out and you liked it. Smile

My LOTR fan-fiction

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 16, 9:46am

Post #20 of 45 (260 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, shingles... >wince< [In reply to] Can't Post

I had them in 2012, same sort of area as your Dad by the sound of it. I spotted the first signs and shot along to the Doc who gave me anti-virals which helped to take some severity out of it, but it was still very uncomfortable and annoying. Wearing very smooth things helped a bit. The heat won't help! It faded away eventually, all except for one small area on my back that stayed itchy and annoying for some time after. Hope your Dad feels better soon. Hope you do too, allergies are such a nuisance.

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 16, 9:59am

Post #21 of 45 (260 views)
Shortcut
Good morning, all - didn't make it last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira, that's a lovely jigsaw image, but far too fuzzy for me! I like to see lots going on, that I can tackle bit by bit. I'm not very patient. Parts of England have had quite a bit of snow (by English standards anyway!), but all we've seen here has been rain, rain and more rain with a few morning frosts thrown in. It's a bit brighter today, fortunately. Life is quiet, constrained by the covid 19 restrictions. We can go out once a day for exercise, but should not stray too far from our home area - fine for me with countryside within reach, but not much fun for anyone living in a big city. I'm lucky to have family nearby - my 'support bubble' - so I can see my daughter and grandsons (and dog) which helps immensely. Shopping now consists of a quick 'masked raid' on the supermarket - no leisurely browsing or unnecessary handling of goods, and no non-essential shops open so no window-shopping or wandering around interesting and decorative shops in wet weather. It's the price we have to pay to get on top of the virus. Despite the vaccinations, it's not over yet. I fervently hope that by summer things will be more agreeable. Stay safe, people!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16, 2:22pm

Post #22 of 45 (249 views)
Shortcut
I had wondered if you'd gotten any of that snow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd seen pics of Yorkshire with a good snow cover, and the warnings of slick driving conditions. I'm sorry your grandsons didn't get any to play in!

Do you know yet when you'll be able to be vaccinated?

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 16, 4:28pm

Post #23 of 45 (247 views)
Shortcut
We are in a sheltered location [In reply to] Can't Post

more or less on the west coast, so it has to be a really severe blast before we see any of the fluffy stuff. The 'beast from the east' in early 2018 was the last time we saw any snow lying round here. I'm 68, overweight but without any underlying health conditions (fortunately!) so, downhill with a following wind, I might be vaccinated in late March. I'm not holding my breath!

cats16
Valinor

Jan 16, 6:33pm

Post #24 of 45 (242 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like such a pain - sorry you had to go through it too! I'll pass along the suggestion about wearing smooth clothing. He's in the Midwest, so much colder temps for him, thankfully. Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jan 16, 6:34pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jan 16, 7:12pm

Post #25 of 45 (242 views)
Shortcut
Greetings,, all my TornSibs.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope all are doing well.

A rather large kahlua and cream, please.

Heart

Permanent address: Into the West

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.