Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the snowy Sunday reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 12, 3:44pm

Post #1 of 6 (206 views)
Shortcut
It's the snowy Sunday reading thread! Can't Post

Yes, we had snow on Sunday, if barely enough to cover a hobbit's toes. But it was a very damp snow that settled not only on the grass and shrubs but also outlined the branches of the trees, and for a few hours we had a winter wonderland. Kids in particular got out and scraped up enough for snowballs and snowmen. Then poof! it was gone.

I'm now listening to a non-fiction audio: The Lady and the Monk by Pico Iyer, his account of his months living in Kyoto. The writing is superb, as always (Iyer writes for Time magazine, among other places) and he's observant and perceptive about the people he meets and the places he goes. The narrator is very good with the different accents of Iyer's acquaintances, to say nothing of sentences in Japanese.

I'm still reading Sarah Parcak's Space Archaeology and finding it interesting, although my inner editor would like to smooth out a few passages. Many of the illustrations are grainy b&w snapshots taken by the author, while others are screenshots of computer imagery. All these are better than no photos at all, but I'm struggling to see in these just what she wants me to see. There's something to be said for watching one of her TV shows complete with voiceover and pointing finger.

I haven't settled on a new fiction book to read. Stay tuned....

What have you been reading while you stay safe?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 7:19pm

Post #2 of 6 (188 views)
Shortcut
Reread The Martian. [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a good read on the science of living on a dead planet (even if the author freely admitted he over-egged the ability to have damaging wind-storms on Mars).

Then I watched the movie. While Matt Damon is great in it, it still bugs me that at the end he can stand in a room without his EVA suit on to shave *after* he's removed the life-support system from the MAV. It was an easy miss in the theatre as so much is happening but, much like Radagast crossing over the Misty Mountains by bunny-sled to find Gandalf, once you pick it up it's impossible to ignore.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jan 14, 12:40am

Post #3 of 6 (172 views)
Shortcut
I went to a talk [In reply to] Can't Post

By the author a few days after the discovery of ice crystals in the soil. He said there went half the book.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 14, 3:16am

Post #4 of 6 (155 views)
Shortcut
LOL! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 14, 4:06am

Post #5 of 6 (158 views)
Shortcut
That's the problem with writing science fiction. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes the science catches up and makes your fiction obsolete!

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15, 1:48am

Post #6 of 6 (128 views)
Shortcut
Rereading the Death subseries of Discworld [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking it out of order, just as my whim leads me
I started with Hogfather at Christmas time. Then Mort and Soul Music. Now I'm backing up to Reaper Man, which is the first Pratchett I ever read. That first time I loved the romance between Death and Miss Flitworth but I couldn't stand Windle Poons. Now, having read most of Discworld, some volumes several times, I'm loving Poons. I've laughed out loud so many times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.