Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Early Jan 2021: what are you watching?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 10, 1:30am

Post #1 of 21 (434 views)
Shortcut
Early Jan 2021: what are you watching? Can't Post

This will be my last posting of the "watching" thread, so I hope another volunteer can step forward.

I finished this week with the season 3 finale of Star Trek: Discovery, and I was a little worried about how they'd pull off a conclusion to so many dangling threads. I was satisfied with it, and of all 3 seasons, it's been my favorite, especially with more attention to the other crew members, who seem more like people and less like extras who occasionally get a couple words. The 2-part finale was ambitious in scope, dazzling in effects, and thought-provoking to boot, and then to end it all with a relevant quote from Gene Roddenberry seemed pretty cool.

This week's episode of The Expanse didn't have a ton of action, but I enjoy the story and the characters, and there's always a certain momentum in each episode, so you either get action or know that you're building toward it. Drummer has come a long way from Fred Johnson's sidekick, and seeing Cara Gee in real life along with Wes Chatham makes me appreciate how immersive the show's acting and environment is. For a couple of "nobodies" who only got small parts before this, they're showing they have a lot of acting talent and big futures.

What are you watching?

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jan 10, 1:32am)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 10, 3:22am

Post #2 of 21 (386 views)
Shortcut
Just finished up Season Three of "Discovery" also [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the finale! Very satisfying with everyone in the cast getting a share of the action. I love how bonded the bridge crew are now. I can't say I have a favorite season, the show has been consistently good . . . but of course the longer it goes on the more we get to know everyone and the more we get to enjoy little character moments. And I'm really looking forward to where they take the story next.

I watched "Bridgerton" which was lots of fun. Looking forward to the new "All Creatures Great and Small" and "Miss Scarlet and the Duke," as well as the new season, or rather the second half of the season, of "Lucifer." And I keep meaning to pick up with "The Expanse" . . .

Also watched Alex Trebek's last "Jeopardy" episodes and cried a little.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words.
-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

My Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/...id=1590637780&sr=8-1

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 10, 3:31am)

cats16
Valinor

Jan 10, 8:23am

Post #3 of 21 (373 views)
Shortcut
Happy to take the reins here, as best as I can! [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to respond in your previous thread but it seems I forgot.

Looks like you're deep in sci-fi world - which I'd imagine is a nice respite from RL things now.

I had a small connection to the Discovery show: at an old job I worked with one of the writers from the early couple of seasons. I don't know if he's still on it, but I'm glad the show seems to have really come together considering how much of a mess things were behind the scenes in the writer's room early on (plenty of which was publicly known). Most shows, from what I've observed, tend to implode with that kind of internal turmoil!

I started the year watching a few things, before this week turned chaotic. Here are a couple:

Ordet and Day of Wrath - Two films by Carl Theodor Dreyer, a Danish filmmaker who was a contemporary of Bergman but hasn't been remembered as strongly by history (probably due to his much smaller filmography). These movies are not easy but are deeply rewarding. Both deal with themes of religion and intolerance - Day of Wrath in particular, as it is about the era of witch hunts and was made during the Nazi occupation of Denmark. Again, not the right choice if you're looking for something mindless/easy, but very worth it.

Dawson City: Frozen Time - I think I mentioned this one the last time I watched it, a year or two ago. It's a fascinating tale of a little Klondike gold rush town that boomed at the turn of the 20th century, during which it became the "end of the line" for hundreds of silent era movie reels which were essentially abandoned there. In the 70's a trove of these thought-to-be-lost films (including new footage of the 1919 World Series) were found in a filled-in swimming pool there; the filmmaker plays snippets of these now-restored films throughout, many of which are in various states of decay. A very rich movie that is good but not great, yet is still quite interesting.

I've also started Martin Scorsese's new docu-series on Netflix called Pretend It's a City. The premise is: Fran Lebowitz makes observations, jokes and gives commentary on New York City and her experience of it. Very funny and witty. It made me ache to be back in NYC.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 10, 9:42pm

Post #4 of 21 (353 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for being such a great thread-starter, CG! [In reply to] Can't Post

And good on you cats16 for taking on the role - I always look forward to seeing what movies and TV shows people are watching.

Speaking of which, I saw The Dry last week - an excellent mystery set in the Australian Outback in the midst of a crippling drought. Eric Bana plays the big-city cop who is guilted into returning for the funeral of his childhood friend, and is asked to investigate the case by the dead man's parents who can't accept the murder-suicide theory.

The star of the show is the script: tautly plotted, and filled with characters that are fallible and real with unhealed wounds beneath the years of habit. Highly recommended.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Fantasy novel - The Arcanist's Tattoo

My LOTR fan-fiction

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 11, 5:25am

Post #5 of 21 (341 views)
Shortcut
Arnold Schwarzeneggar offering a nifty insight into Gandalf the White. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sort of.

In a recent video that Schwarzeneggar made (about another subject entirely), he holds up a sword from Conan the Barbarian, and he says:

Now you see this sword? This is Conan's sword. Now here's the thing about swords. The more you temper a sword, the stronger it becomes. The more you pound it with the hammer and then heat it in the fire, and then thrust it into the cold water, and then pound it again, and plunge it into the fire and into the water, and the more often you do that, the stronger it becomes.

Schwarzeneggar is using the sword as a meatphor for people who surive hard times. But suddenly it occured to me that Gandalf the Grey is beaten, and burned, and plunged into cold water. Gandalf even says he "passed through fire and flood" (this was changed to "fire and death" in the fourth printing of The Lord of the Rings). And he is reforged as Gandalf the White, stronger than he was before.

Thanks for having hosted this movie thread!

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11, 12:48pm

Post #6 of 21 (324 views)
Shortcut
I've watched as smiths plied their craft [In reply to] Can't Post

And watched videos of sword-making. I had wondered how a sword could be re-forged once it was broken, but with extensive heating, pounding, and plunging, it can be done. (And it helps that Elves and Dwarves are skilled at this.)

Gandalf plunging with the Balrog down into the water just reminded me of Ataahua's latest adventure: http://newboards.theonering.net/...hreaded;post=979076;

Does anyone know why Tolkien changed "flood" to "death"? Instead of, say, using "fire, flood, and death"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Jan 11, 5:08pm

Post #7 of 21 (318 views)
Shortcut
nice thought! [In reply to] Can't Post

One always wonders if Tolkien had that in mind or if it was serendipitous. Genius either way.

-- Gaston Bachelard

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 11, 7:50pm

Post #8 of 21 (309 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Cats! -- *hands over magic wand of office* [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot to advertise that you get a cool wand as part of your duties. Use it in theaters to get free popcorn & drinks and fast-forward through parts of movies you don't like. (batteries not included)

You're right about my escapism this week. I alternated between watching the news and plunging into scifi and Downton Abbey, where the worst calamity possible is the soup course might be a little late.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Jan 11, 7:58pm)

cats16
Valinor

Jan 11, 10:56pm

Post #9 of 21 (299 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

With great power comes great responsibility, it seems. I've always wanted a wand.

I get what you mean. In a few days I really, really need to delete Twitter, just for my own sanity. One of the several books I'm reading is Proust's In Search of Lost Time, which is sort of my Downton Abbey. 300 straight pages focused on the narrator's entirely interior experience of a crush he never dares to actually act on? Sure, why not! Laugh

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 12, 9:32pm

Post #10 of 21 (265 views)
Shortcut
The Night is Short, Walk on Girl [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched this unusual and surreal anime film on HBO Max. It's a strange tale of two young adults wandering separately through Kyoto one night and the odd persons they encounter. If this sort of thing appeals to you then I highly recommend it.

#FidelityToTolkien
#DiversityWithFidelity

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 12, 9:34pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 12, 10:26pm

Post #11 of 21 (260 views)
Shortcut
Arnie, I salute you! (Staying well clear of that sword, of course) [In reply to] Can't Post

A powerful analogy and very appropriate. The imagery of that fall with the Balrog still stands out as one of the most impressive visual moments, for me.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15, 1:53am

Post #12 of 21 (226 views)
Shortcut
Dark Shadows [In reply to] Can't Post

Starting with Episode 1. "My name is Victoria Winters". Alternating with the first Barnabas episodes. What a hoot. I can't believe how seriously I took it all, over 50 years ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15, 1:48pm

Post #13 of 21 (201 views)
Shortcut
I had some nightmares from watching it. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I LOVED it! Laugh It's the only "Soap opera" I've ever watched continuously. I remember very little of it now, though. What platform are you using to watch it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Jan 15, 3:54pm

Post #14 of 21 (194 views)
Shortcut
rushed home from school to watch it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

-- Gaston Bachelard

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 15, 7:19pm

Post #15 of 21 (186 views)
Shortcut
Me too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 15, 8:23pm

Post #16 of 21 (187 views)
Shortcut
My cousin had a Barnaby Collins money box [In reply to] Can't Post

It featured a figure in a coffin, with only his face visible - the rest of him was hidden under a blanket.
You wound it up, and then placed your coin on the magic spot.
A skeletal plastic hand would reach out from under the blanket and drag the coin into the depths of the coffin.
We all loved it. My cousin is a good preserver of things, and the money box was functional for a good 20+ years.
I wonder where it is now? Probably stored in some dark cavern...

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 15, 8:26pm

Post #17 of 21 (185 views)
Shortcut
Me three! [In reply to] Can't Post

What is it with teenagers and vampires, eh?

Yesterday I finished binge watching all four seasons of The Good Place, which I missed earlier. I suppose it is also concerned with the afterlife Evil Angelic, but TGP satisfies my current decadal needs of laughter and tears and hopeful endings. Evil

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 15, 8:47pm

Post #18 of 21 (183 views)
Shortcut
RE: ST Discovery and The Expanse [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm on S3Ep4 Star Trek. I do believe this is my favorite season.

It doesn't matter that I finished reading The Expanse series and all the spoilers. Still very exciting.

I'm loving all these interesting TV female roles we're getting now, and not just the kick ashes stuff. Smile

And The Queen's Gambit is riveting! And Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is back for Season 2!

Can you tell that I just signed up to Netflix? Laugh

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 15, 8:56pm

Post #19 of 21 (183 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for steering us through the past months, CG. [In reply to] Can't Post

Please accept this gold watch as a token of our thanks. We'll always have The Expanse! Laugh

Aaaaaaand direct from Hollywood, it's Cats16! Thanks, mate, for taking up the reins. See yuh 'round!Wink

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jan 17, 4:52pm

Post #20 of 21 (143 views)
Shortcut
WandaVision... [In reply to] Can't Post

The first Marvel streaming series on Disney+, and it's already off to a good start in my opinion. I enjoy the radically different tone and style, I absolutely adore the classic sitcoms this is based on, and the mystery unfolding is quite compelling. Assuming they stick the landing, I think this will become one my of favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe entries: and I hope it represents a new attitude going forward, with more original premises and genres being explored.

"Good-bye, my dear Bilbo! Until our next meeting."
- Gandalf

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31, 9:40pm

Post #21 of 21 (83 views)
Shortcut
WHOA Episode 4! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have more to say in the next "watching" thread but . . . WHOA!

-- Gaston Bachelard

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.